PDA

View Full Version : Atkin bake stuff on Induction?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

B_J
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:41
I had some low carb pancakes and muffins that my wife made for me. 2 meals of pancakes and 2 muffins last night. They are low carb and I didn't go over 20carb/day. Still I reread the rules of induction and I'm not sure if i screwed it up or not. Please let me know someone.

BJ

agonycat
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:47
If it isn't on the induction list.....it isn't allowed.

I don't recall muffins or pancakes on the induction list, those are for later ;)

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:32
Not to be contradictory, and because a) I dont think pancakes on Induction are a good thing and b) nor do I think muffins are a good idea when you're trying to kick the carb monster, but Atkins seems to feel differently:

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. (See the Online Store for Atkins brand (http://atkinscenter.com/dev/shop/products/Bake_Mix.html) products.)
While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction.

So while, technically, you could have pancakes or muffins, I dont think 2 meals of pancakes and 2 muffins qualifies as "some controlled carb food". You get 20g of carbs from the carb bank and the bulk of them should be spent on green vegetables. You're trying to get over the carbs - eating LC versions of old high carb staples isnt helping you do that.

Nat

B_J
Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:52
Thanks for the info Nat, btw I didn't have 2 meals of pancakes in one day. Unlike most people who post what they eat I HATE green veggies. I'd rather go hungry than eat them. That makes this low carb thing really really hard for me. Meat, Meat, Eggs, and more Meat is boring. I'll stay off LC products till I'm done with induction, less than a week to go now. Afterwards its nice to know I can enjoy stuff like flax-o-meal, low carb pancakes/waffles, muffins, SF jello, and all the different varieties of the mock danish. I'm probably only scratching the surface of the range of foods I can eat, but atm, I'm really searching for variety. I feel like my chances to do well are diminished because I don't like most kinds of veggies.

BJ

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 15:02
BJ, you know veggies do taste a lot better on LC than on any other WOE - anything tastes better smoothered in butter and cheese.

If you neglect the veggies the end result (no pun intended) could be unpleasant - constipation isnt fun. Make sure you keep your fats up and your water intake high - these two things help keep you regular. If you find yourself stalling out (not as likely for men, but hey, it happens) look to adding in veggies, or more veggies - a too low carb count can slow you down.

Cheers,
Nat

B_J
Fri, Feb-08-02, 17:29
Oh brother, too low carbs? What numbers have you heard that caused stalls?

By the way in another post I had asked about minimum caloric requirements. I'm not having success the last two days I tracked getting 3,000 calories in. Sigh, the old me probably ate 4,000 without trying....and more if I binged on something like a bag of popcorn or had extra helpings at dinner. Does anyone have tips on any easy way to get in loads of cals fast. Its weird but after only a week on induction, I'm not pigging out (or wanting to) as much.

BJ

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 18:30
BJ, this is normal - having little appetite and trying to force / plan that food. I think I answered your other question about calories - I just found it here "Keeping calories up" (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=274938#post274938) and the advice still stands :)

What you can do to get calories up is use FAT. Fat is your friend -it is filling and it is calorie dense. A little goes a long way. Use extra butter, use more olive oil, use double the mayo in salads, throw olives and eggs into salads, eat the skin on your chicken, eat more sardines (very good source of Essential fatty acids). One extra tbsp of butter has 120 calories and no carbs - you'd hardly notice that on some broccoli :)

Too low carbs is trickier - everyone is different. Some can tolerate more carbs and some need lower carbs to lose - MEN tend to be able to tolerate and to need a few more because they have greater lean body mass. But stalls not withstanding, the constipation and headaches can be a *itch.

HTH
Nat