PDA

View Full Version : Help! What's a GIF or a JPG???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Janice
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:11
Hi Wa'il!

I finally figured out how to shrink my picture so that it's within the 100x100 pixel range, and now I get a message that "the uploaded file is not GIF or JPG blah, blah, blah, ..... What does this mean? I have absolutely NO CLUE and thought I was doing pretty good until I got this message. I have tried to grab the picture from two places; Imaging for Windows (KodaK) and from Bitmap (whatever that is) and I get the same message.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help, you helpful guy!

Janice

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:19
Hi Janice. A JPEG or a GIF are formats for your pictures. Yours are probably in BMP (bitmap) judging from the software you mentioned. There should be a "save as" option when you save your cropped picture. Choose "Save as" then change the file type from Windows Bitmap to JPEG.

Hope this helps.
Nat

tamarian
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:20
Hi Janice,

JPG anf GIF are standard image formats. When you have a pic, some graphic software will create their own format, but usually allow you to save it as other formats.

Open the pic in your software, and try File/Save AS and see if they offer an option to save as Jpeg or GIF. If this doesn't work, just email it to me.

Wa'il

tamarian
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:22
LOL, I was typing at the same time, and almost word for word like Nat.

Wa'il

doreen T
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:22
hi Janice,

gif's and jpg's (jpeg's) are image files. They're also compressed and smaller file size .. so they use up less memory.

The reason you can't upload your picture is because the file size is too big (must be less than 20 KB) You need to convert your TIFF or bitmap image to a jpg. You can do this quite easily using the basic Windows Paint program.

Open the Paint program ... and select Open from the File menu. Choose your picture file, then select Save As. In the window that pops up, down near the bottom, you'll see "Save as type" .. scroll through the options, and select .jpg (recommended for photos, gifs are better for graphic images). Type in a name for the new file, and click on Save. Voilą.

You will be able to upload the new jpg image. :)

hope this helps,

Doreen

Natrushka
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:23
LMAO! Talk about more help than you can handle!

N

doreen T
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:24
ROFLsnort!!!!

I'm typing too slow this morning.

Anyway, the Kodak Imager for Windows does not include the option to convert to jpg. You do need to use Paint.

Doreen

Janice
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:42
Talk about HELP!!

In the bitmap thingy, the only options it gives me is bmp or dib?

Wa'il can you pm me your address in case I am unable to get it up myself? I am grateful for you help.

Many thanks to all of you! How'd you learn this stuff?!!

Janice

tamarian
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:45
Sure, my email is at the bottom of each page, where it says "Contact us" :)

Wa'il

Janice
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:51
Dearest Wa'il,

I've emailed you the photo. Please let me know if you need anything else. Thank you so much for your help! I didn't quite pull all my hair out.

Janice

tamarian
Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:00
And there you are! :thup:

Wa'il

Janice
Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:18
Hey! That's me!

Janice