PDA

View Full Version : Could a low carb diet help an autistic child?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Gabrielle
Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:29
I've been wondering if my Autistic/ADHD son could have some form of wheat allergy like I do. I've noticed he'll be in a VERY calm mood usually before breakfast, but let us go out to Hardees for a biscuit and well...he's bouncing off the walls in less than 20 minutes.

He is a VERY picky eater. So I'm trying to figure out a way to slip more protien like foods in his diet. He won't eat fruit, or vegtables except corn, and practically lives off of Ramen Noodles.

I have also read several ADHD books and diet approaches. Anyone have any simular experiences?

Gabrielle

LCer in NW
Sat, Feb-23-02, 10:56
This carbing out sounds like addiction. The reaction is probably ADHD related vice allergy. See how he responds to adding walnuts, pecans, almonds, or peanuts (I know, not nut) up to 20 minutes before he eats the biscuit. All are proteins, and eating proteins before simple carbs can slow their digestion.

cimart
Mon, Mar-04-02, 11:13
Hi Gabrielle,

I have a son with adhd. When he was very small I had him on th Feingold Diet. Basically, it is no artificial colors, flavors and certain preservitives. I know from reading his books, that some people take it farther: gluten, corn syrup... these seem to be the other two biggies. The diet also claims to help autism. I saw some emmediate differences in my son when we started. He used to get terrible leg cramps, those stopped from the first night. Also, his bedtime used to take 2-3 hrs between the " can I have a drink" and the "I can't sleep"s. That too improved from the very first night. Unfortunately, it did not help his behavior enough, and he ended up on Adderall. But, even though his behavior didn't change that much, I could and can tell when he's had (especially red) artificial food colors. His behavior is ALOT worse! So, although I did not see the behavior changes I had hoped, I did see alot of other improvements. I am still a believer in the diet. He is now 11 yrs old, and doing great.

Let me know what you think,

cimart

P.S. Last summer I did have him on the CAD for kids low carb diet. It did nothing for behavior, but he did look great! Really slimmed down.

LCer in NW
Mon, Mar-04-02, 14:04
The behavior may not be related to food. Seemingly inocuous (simple, background, ignorable, insignificant) noise or visual stimulation can put adhd and autistic person into sensory overload. You may not even notice the trigger.

This is especially true of savant.