PDA

View Full Version : please please please read and help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lain
Wed, Feb-06-02, 13:46
Hello people,

I'm new here, and I'm afraid I'm about to write a novel.

I've had systemic candida for over a year now.. until just recently, I got a phone call from my doctor and she says my blood test are (finally) coming back normal.

Ok, that was two weeks ago. I'm on a maintenance supply of Sporanox.. and I've been taking Pepcid for incredibly painful heartburn. Something I've never had before I got candida, but seems to not have gone away now that I'm over it.

I've stuck to the Atkins candida diet the entire time I was being treated for candida.. but I still gained 70 POUNDS!!... Before I got sick I weighed only 100 pounds... ok, I know that's tiny, but I'm only 5'2". Anyways you can imagine how I feel at 170. I'm thoroughly depressed.

I know that Atkins says that it's almost impossible to lose weight while infected with systemic candida... but now that I'm over it, shouldn't I be losing weight?

Could it be the medication stopping me from losing? I know it's not my diet because I am VERY strict and careful to a fault about that.

I guess my concern is.. if it's my medication.. how can I stop taking Pepcid without the pain of heartburn. I mean, it's BAD! And if I stop taking the antifungal, will I run the risk of getting the candida back and just gaining even more weight?????

I'm really really upset here guys... PLEASE someone give me some advice.. or is there anyone with a simulair problem that solved it? Please Please help me... I want my body back, especially now that I may have my life back.

Thank you for all that reply to me,
Lain

stilldeb
Wed, Feb-06-02, 18:03
Hi Lain -

I can't really be of any help, but am wondering if systemic Candida is something I might have, too, and what kind of bloodwork you have to find out. I have some skin fungus that seems to not want to clear up with topical treatment, but when I mentioned systemic candida to my doc, she just ignored it.

I have been on the Candida Atkins for a couple of days now and I have a terrific headache. Even my migraine meds won't touch it. I know my sister had the headache when she was on the diet and taking Nystatin, but she always thought it was the Nystatin, and I am wondering if it is really some sort of withdrawal thing.

Oh, and I have the heartburn, too.....feels like it will burn a hole in my chest!

My mother actually died as a result of a systemic candida infection that took over when her resistance was very low, while in the hospital. It ate up her skin, then went internal, and once it crossed the blood/brain barrier, there was no stopping it.

I'm afraid other than that, I don't know very much about it.

:confused:

Oldsalty
Wed, Feb-06-02, 21:08
Dr Mercola had an article touching on this subject just a day or so ago, you may find it interesting to read at this site.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/feb/6/acid_production.htm

Lain
Thu, Feb-07-02, 00:31
stilldeb,

Yes, I've read some pretty horrifying things about Candida, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I know from my experience that it's not a pretty thing to have. I devoloped lesions and everything, and it's SUPER hard to get rid of. I had it for almost a year and a half... trying to think back to when I first got it.. I think that's right.

I did want to say that headaches was a MAJOR part of my symptoms when I first got it.. and I also had a fungus growth under my finger nails. I was constipated.. and (trying to think of my symptoms so as to help you) I just gained sooooooo much weight in so little time. It's hard to think of all my symptoms now, cuz most of them have gone. (thank God)

ummmmmm... I think I went to 5 different doctor till they directed me towards a holistic center that treated candida, did blood work for it, and prescribed medication for it.

If I were you, I would find a doctor who specializes in treating Candida, because I know that if you are treated for things other than Candida when you have Candida, that it can sometimes make your Candida worse. (or at least that's what I've read) And I REALLY hate to say this, but if you do have it, don't expect for the medicine to magically work, it takes time. My heart really goes out to you stilldeb. I pray you don't have this. *sighs*

I'm thinking.. I know some health food stores sometimes have lists of Holistic Doctors and what thier practice is, you might try that to find a doctor who may be able to at least see if you have it. Please don't wait too long, I really don't think it should be something that goes uncared for...

I don't know how to private message, maybe someone can help me with that, because if you do have it stilldeb, I would be more than happy to keep in touch with you. I know that when I had it, I needed all the support I could get.

I wish you the best of luck,
Lain

Natrushka
Thu, Feb-07-02, 07:46
Originally posted by Lain
I don't know how to private message, maybe someone can help me with that, because if you do have it stilldeb, I would be more than happy to keep in touch with you. I know that when I had it, I needed all the support I could get.

Lain, Private Messaging is available to new members after they have 25 posts - this is to encourage participation in the forum and to discourage questions being posed to members privately - a publicly posted question benefits more than just the person asking :)

Nat

stilldeb
Thu, Feb-07-02, 08:39
Thanks so much for your info, on the Candida and also the heartburn. I have an appointment with a new doc this month, and I believe she treats Candida, so will definitely have that checked out. I have also had the rapid and uncontrollable weight gain and am now twice the person I used to be! BUT am beginning to lose now on Atkins Candida. The headache is better this morning, hoping that will last all day. Feels like wearing an iron helmet all day. Will any doc prescribe Nystatin (that's what my sister took) or do you have to get that from a holistic doc?

:rose:

Lain
Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:45
thank you for replying to my message everyone

ummmmm.. thank you on the information on the heartburn, and on private messages...

stilldeb,

My doctor is holistic.. but the medication I'm taking is perscription. So I think you have to be a doctor to prescribe that. *shrugs* dunno. So I would imagine that a doctor can prescribe you what you need. Ummmm... I never took Nystatin. I took Diflucan, and then, now, Sporanox. These are much stronger than Nystatin from what I've read.

If you are making improvement already, then it seems to me that you will probably do a lot better than I did, and may be a faster healer too. I hope so. I'm glad that you are doing better, in any case.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanx *smiles*,
Lain

mariah974
Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:27
:mad: i hate this candida! have had it to contend with for years as a result of overuse of anitbiotics for complications from allergies, ie; pneumonia and bronchitis. when i am true to the atkins diet and take a preparation called Yeast Fighters from twin labs, i can say i'm almost candida symtom free. as a result of my now six month relapse from low-carbing, the yeast is having a heyday and i'm very ill. i've mentioned before that i was caregiving my husband, who had cancer, and during the caregiving time, all self care went south. dr atkins age defying diet rev., hard cover edition has some new treatment for candida, page 206. olive leaf extract, or grapefruit seed extract,oil of oregano, caprylic acid, undecenylic acid. says you somtime feel worse because of yeasts dying off in large numbers making your intestines more toxic.

good luck in finding the best treatment for you.

Lain
Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:11
Hello again people,

Just a quick update... I went of the Sporanox for a week.. and I got horribly sick.. I had to go back on it again. So, I guess that's a no go for now.

I did manage to stop taking the pepcid though. Although I had to deal with incredibly bad heartburn at first... it's now begun to subside.

I'm begining to think that I must still have more Candida in my blood, otherwise I don't see why I got so sick. I also think I need to build up my immune system. Otherwise I think it may just keep coming back, even when I get rid of it.

This process is so long. I really want it to be done with.. and I want my old body back.

Can anyone give me some good solid advice and details why.. on how to strengthen my immune system even more?

I'm taking my acidophilus.. I'm taking all my vitamins.. I'm also taking msm.. and I'm still on Sporanox like I said... Still not losing wieght.. and on the strictest diet ever. I'm on Atkins, Candida diet.. and I've been on this before I got sick too.. and never had a problem losing on it.. until I got sick.. so I know I'm not 'missing' anything. I'm also begining to work out a bit.. on the bike.. not with wieghts.

Please, respond. With advice on making the immune system stronger, so I can finally fight this thing.. and get off the pills.. and also.. if anyone has been actually been able to lose wieght while on these pills that would be nice to know as well.. so then I can ponder over the idea if it's just the pills holding me back.. or the Candida..

Ooooo and by the way.. I AM in ketosis. VERY HEAVILY. So, I know it's not that.

Thanks again,
Lain

Homegirl
Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:44
Just a few things: Candida is a killer if left unchecked. That's what a majority of people w/ aids actually succumb to in the end so it is something to be taken seriously.

Everyone has yeast and we need it in our bowel to actually help it function properly. The trouble comes when it grows beyond healthy levels. That usually manifests itself as vaginal yeast infections in women, diaper rash and thrush in babies. However, when the overgrowth continues and is not treated it can become systemic (gets into all other areas of our bodies).

First of all, if you go on an anti-candida diet and manage to cut out all the sugars, yeasts, and other fermentable products you WILL experience a time period of feeling much worse. This happens as a "die off" of yeast happens. All those toxins are being released into your blood so it will make headaches worse, gas and bloating worse, fatigue will be more pronounced, you might get night sweats, you may develop more external symptoms of yeast (vaginal yeast infections, etc) and on and on. How long those symptoms last will depend on how badly the overgrowth of yeast actually is in your body.

Secondly, you can take a number of different things to help that die-off happen at a much quicker rate than by diet alone. Nystatin has been mentioned here but all my reading indicated that once the Nyastatin is stopped, the yeast will overgrow again. I believe the natural products are much better to use. I used a capsule that had undecenoic acid in it. It is supposed to be even more potent than caprylic acid in killing yeast.

Third, as the yeast is dying off, you need to be taking cultures that will increase the good flora in your intestine (PLAIN yogurt w/ real live cultures are often recommended) that have been depleted by the yeast overgrowth.

In addition, you should know that most doctors trained in western medicine do not even acknowledge that there is such a thing as systemic Candida. They laugh it off. On the other hand, a lot of holistic practitioners do know about it and treat it. They are the ones that usually do the blood tests. However, seeing a practitioner outside of the established medical profession can be very expensive.

For myself, I had to do a lot of research because I didn't have the money to see a naturopath. I got books from the library and scoured the internet for information and then treated myself. I feel so much better than I did a year ago. I was really pleased (shocked I should say) to see Dr. Atkins mention it as a possible reason for weight loss stall. I had figured this out on my own after my doctor told me that there is no such thing as yeast overgrowth and that I was perfectly healthy. When I started on Atkins, I had already been feeling much better due to my own treatment plan so I didn't go on the anti-candida form of Atkins. However, I do think I still have a mild overgrowth because I get reactions when I eat too much cheese and nuts. I am currently doing a vitamin C flush on a weekly basis and increasing the amount of vitamin C I take because it helps to kill off and prevent yeast overgrowth.

Good luck on your journey to better health.

Homegirl
Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:54
When I tried to figure out how I got to such a low point in my health and weight, I had to come to the conclusion that, for me, it was pregnancy that threw my body out of balance.

For others it might be a different "trigger."

I have been pregnant four times and have four healthy babies. However, I did suffer from vaginal yeast infections which are quite common in pregnancy due to the change in hormones. My last baby had to be treated w/ gentian violet because he/we had thrush when he was born. I had a terrible time after the babies were born lsoing the weight that I had gained. I just assumed it was because I was nursing, but in retrospect, I think my body just could not rebalance itself after the pregnancies and w/ each successive pregnancy it just got worse. This time last year, my fourth son was almost 2 and a half years old but I was at an all time low health and weight wise.

Going to the doctor didn't help expect to rule out low iron and thyroid. On paper I was completely healthy and normal. But I knew something was wrong with me. Not in a "I think I am dying" sense. More in a "my quality of life really stinks" sense. I had to figure out for myself what I needed to do to get myself well and healthy and slim again.

Brave
Sat, Feb-23-02, 17:55
I've thought for a while I might have candida overgrowth too. After my twins were born(1995) I was depressed and having dizzy spells, couldn't get out of bed. Getting out of bed has always been a problem, but this was ridiculous. I had 2 little boys who needed a well Mom. Anyway, no one checked me for candida (surprise, surprise) I have toe nail fungus pretty bad on one foot also and had used fertility drugs to conceive. I would think that would be a clue to someone...
Anyway after baby #3 in 1999 I have gained 10 more lbs. That would be 10 for the fertility treatments, 10 for the twins and 10 for #3. 30 lbs. more than I ever had to worry about before. None of which wants to move very fast.
Since cutting out cheese and mold containing foods, I can now get out of bed and am waiting for the weight to come off more quickly. I am resigned that it might be a while.

Slow progress is better than no progress at all. Keep going LAIN :cheer: it may take you longer than the rest of us. You have it much more seriously it seems. :sunny:

Homegirl
Sat, Feb-23-02, 21:53
I can totally relate and I am so happy to be looking back on those "bad" days.

I know if you keep it up, you will be feeling so much better. Oh, and don't forget to stay away from any kind of sugar, which I am sure you already know. Yeast LOVES sugar!

Take care.

Lain
Sat, Mar-02-02, 15:59
Hello,

I just wanted to say thank you everyone, for your kind words. You have no idea how much it means to me at a time like this in my life. There are so few people that seem to understand what I am going through, and and, or, take it seriously. A support system like this is something that I have desperately needed.. and it's really nice to know I have it, and can give it in return. All of you who have answered me, have helped me so much. No, words can say.. I only wish I could talk to you more regularly.. or that there was some sort of 'candida group meetings' like aa.. *laughs*

Anyways.. I've started a new probiotic blend, HSO, it's called Primal Defense, anyone else hear of this one? It seems to be helping me already with stomache aches and pains that I had been having.. and what not. Although, I'm definately going through a die off again.. and feeling a bit fatigued. But I recomend it to those of you who have been having seriously bad stomache aches, and heartburn, it seems to have helped me a lot in those areas.

Still no weight loss though. But, I'm hanging in there, hopefully this probiotic will help me a lot, and I can get my immune system functioning properly again. I will definately keep you all updated.

Thank you again, for all your support.
Lain

Sandy3
Sun, Mar-03-02, 19:38
Thank you all for the discussion of yeast overgrowth. I have been taking probiotics and oregano oil. The pain in my intestines and stomach is more that I can tolerate at times. It is a burning that goes through to my back. My muscles are sore and I have headaches...am exhausted and have gained weight. I think I better see my doctor..I will get some active culture yogurt too. Seems like that would be soothing. This has been going on for about 3-4 wks and is getting worse. I hope he believes in yeast overgrowth. Thanks for letting me know how much physical pain you have had...thought I was the only one. Can feel it in my sinus's too. My skin is itchy, blotchy.. I am so miserable. Time to get help.

Kent
Mon, Mar-18-02, 19:49
The culture in yogurt may be good for the treatment of candida but it still has carbohydrates. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet web site has information about a special home made yogurt that run a 24 hour cycle in a special yogurt machine which reduces the carbs. Then, the yogurt is left to drain through a tee shirt cloth. The liquid that drains is thrown away which remove more of the carbs. It is made with whole milk plus about 30% whipping cream. The final yogurt is DELICIOUS. They have a message board also but it is difficult to use. The members there can help if anyone whats to know more. Ask the member if it is best for candida. I know it is standard treatment for bowel diseases.

Specific Carbohydrate Diet Home Page (http://www.scdiet.org/)

Following is the link to the yogurt page. It doesn't explain about the added cream and draining but members can explain that.

SCD Diet - Yogurt Recipe (http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/scdyogurt.html)

Kent :wave:

ellbeegee
Fri, Mar-22-02, 08:20
Hi Everyone!

I have heard a couple people on this forum mention the medication "Sporanox". Is this over the counter medication, prescription, or something I would purchase at a health food store?

Will Sporanox get rid of candida or just keep it away once it is already out of your system by another means (diflucan, etc.)

I was diagnosed with candida this past summer and took 2 courses of diflucan combined with anti-candida diet. Have been "off the wagon" eating whatever, and feeling bad again. I know it is back and I know I have to get back to the right diet.

To make me feel even worse, I am seeing a new doctor (an endochronologist) who took me off my thyroid meds for a month in order to have some blood work done (a couple weeks away).
I would like to start taking some anti-candida medicine once my blood work is done. Don't want to take anything that would skew the test results.

Does Sporanox sound like what I need?

Sorry to write a novel! Thanks!

Lain
Sun, Mar-24-02, 15:13
ummmmmm about the questions on Sporanox...

I really can't say if it gets rid of candida.. that is what it's supposed to do though. I was prescribed that by my doctor as well.. it's not over the counter, and she prescribed it to me after a use of diflucan was not working too well with me.

I do know that Sporanox is supposed to be almost the strongest defense (medicine wise) against candida, though. But to be honest with you.. I had been taking both Sporanox and Diflucan for months.. and although it seemed to clear up a lot of my candida, I really haven't started to feel much better until recently when I started taking HSOs in 'Primal Defense' a probiotic blend. I STRONGLY recomend this to anyone who wants to notice a difference in a matter of weeks.. I have been on it now for almost three weeks, and am noticing changes that none of the medicine I've taken has been able to bring on for me. There's a lot of information about it out there as well. Please, don't be like me and waste a lot of time and money on things that only keep it at bay.. I really am begining to feel that probiotics is the main stay of ones health now, especially after all that I've tried.. but a note about that as well.. I tried many probiotics that didn't work for me, so I think it's important to do your research on this matter as well.. I hate to sound like an advertisement.. but Primal Defense seems to really be working almost unbelievable results for me.. I don't think I've been on it long enough to really know yet.. but I will definately keep everyone posted on it.. I have a feeling I will be returning with some really good news.

Ok, that's probably more information than you needed.. but I hope it helps some of you. Good luck in your battle, and keep faith.

Lain

ellbeegee
Sun, Mar-24-02, 17:02
Thanks Lain!

No such thing as too much info. I am a news and information junkie. Lots of good info to think about. Will definitely look into HSO' primal defense. Did you buy on the internet or at a health food store?

LBG
(ellbeegee)

Lain
Wed, Mar-27-02, 23:14
ellbeegee,

Thank you for the kind comments, and yes, I did buy *primal defense* online.. let me find a site for you, although there are several people out there that sell it, and I'm sure you could find many links if you did a search, just in case though, here's one..

http://www.prohealthsolutions.com/primal-defense.html

This site has a lot of helpful information as well.

Anyways, in case anyone is curious. I have been taking the dose of 12 capsuls a day, spaced out three times a day. That's 4 capsuls three times a day. I worked my way up to this dose, and have been on 12 capsuls for a month now. I still feel as though my body is going through 'die off' an almost detoxifying feeling. And it's STRONG. The strongest 'die off' I've experienced, through anything else I've tried.

Things I've noticed since being on this product:

bloating diminishing
dry patches of skin clearing up
no more constipation
clearer thinking
more energy

That's about it for now, but that's a lot if you ask me. Still, I'm waiting for my body to be able to lose wieght again. I'm really thinking that this product will help with that.

I promise to keep everyone posted. I have a feeling I'll have some good news soon. God, I hope so. Keep your fingers crossed for me, and good luck to all of you as well.

Lain

VickiP
Sun, Apr-21-02, 13:09
Hey Lain,
I was wondering how you are doing on primal defense? I have candida too, and I cannot lose weight no matter what I do. I have been eating the very strict candida diet, on undelecinic (sp? something like that) acid, probiotics, and L-glutamine (which I just started). I am also going to start taking digestive enzymes. Have you lost any weight with the primal defense? It's really kind of frustrating, b/c I used to be really thin with no problems. Also, I read some stories about people losing weight right away on these diets, and to get your hopes up and not lose, just sucks.
Thanks,
Tori

Lain
Thu, May-09-02, 08:39
Tori or VickiP,

Ummmmm well to answer your question, no, I haven't lost any weight as of yet as well. Seems we have the same problem indeed. I also used to be really thin, and then now having serious problems with this, not only frustrating, but also very depressing. But.. I have also read that it can take up to three months or more for the Primal Defense to saturate your body and begin to really work well. (at least work in a way where you would notice more results) The begining is mostly cleaning out putrifaction from your gut.. or something like that, and then your body is allowed to heal itself better. Anyways.. I have to say that there is some truth in this.. because although I have not begun to loose weight as of yet.. I have noticed MAJOR changes for the better in my digestion. Which I strongly believe will be the start of my regaining my health and then my figure back.

Before I started this product I had heartburn beyond my tolerance for pain.. it was devistating.. but now, it is almost completely gone. This is saying a lot to me, because I have suffered for almost two years now with this, and only after a few months on Primal Defense it is now just starting to subside. The reason I haven't written anything of late though, is because I still haven't been taking this product for the amount of time it says it takes.. which is three months, although I'm getting close to that time now. I'm hoping that when that time is up, I will start to notice a major difference.. but I'm willing to give it another month or so to kick in. And I will definately keep you posted and let you know of any weight loss that may happen. And if that does happen, I will give you the lowdown on EVERYTHING that I believe holds relevance in how I got there.

Good luck to you, and keep me posted as well please.. thank you.

:roll: Lain

VickiP
Sat, May-11-02, 21:16
Hey Lain,
I have been suffering from the candida problem for about a year. I have a doctors appointment next week. I will let you know how it goes. I am also very depressed and frustrated. It's so not fair how some people can eat whatever they want and stay thing. I work so hard and I'm still 30lbs. overweight. Do you know what your candida came from? I think that mine is from antiobiotics that I took for my skin, as well as birthcontrol. I was also bullimic at one point, not for long, about a 6 month 'phase'. What stopped me is that my throat started bleeding and it scared the crap out of me. I also have barret's esophagus.
Thanks for the reply,
I'll let you know how the appointment goes,
Tori

not2fat
Wed, May-29-02, 12:54
Updates you guys??? (on the candida, doctor appointment, Primal Defense, etc) Anyone try Nystatin and have luck?

VickiP
Sun, Jun-09-02, 21:35
I haven't been back to see the doctor, but I got my food allergy tests back. No allergies! (with the food that was tested) I'm going back to regular low carbing. I don't lose faster/slower by doing the candida thing, it's just not worth it. I'm psyched that my food tests came back negative for milk. That means cream cheese, cream, whipped cream, etc...
I haven't tried any meds or anything, but hopefully I'll go back to the doctor soon.
Take Care,
Tori

Lain
Sun, Jun-16-02, 05:02
Hey everyone,

I'm back again.. just an update.. not a very happy one at that.

The primal defense didn't seem to be doing much for me and at around $40 a bottle and needing to take so so so many to work almost going through a bottle a week, I just couldn't afford it anymore. *sigh*

So I read somewhere that if you fast for 30 days you can kill off all Candida in your system. At this point I would do anything.

I tried it, and I got wayyyyyyyy sick. Was vomiting like 4 to 5 times a day. Couldn't keep water down. I had to stop. The first time I lasted 11 days, then I just had to eat.. was way to dizzy.. but I decided to give it another go so the second time I lasted 12 days.. that's when I got really sick. I stopped for three days inbetween them. I lost 30 pounds, but since then I've gained 10 back. Wierd thing is I always read that the induction phase of Atkins would make you lose faster than a fast, not so in my case. I'm gaining on Atkins, and losing on fasting. But fasting is amazingly hard, and I really don't know if it was too healthy for me to be vomiting like that. In fact I know it wasn't. I really just couldn't do it, I was so so so incredibly sick. And I'm pretty strong willed.

So, back to eating. I found a site.. here it is.. http://www.drz.org/asp/conditions/candida.asp
on Candida and staying low carb, but talks about digestive enzymes and how important digestion can be as well. I took the little test that he gives on that site.. and it seems I scored really high on the digestion problems. Higher than even Candida. Can this be the answer to solving my inability to lose weight? My inability to get healthy?

So, I've started taking digestive enzymes.. and tons. About three with every meal. Mine has in it : HCI, Pepsin, Pancreatin, and Ox bile.

I'm still having stomache pains, and the weight is really creeping back on fast from my fast. But I'm hoping that will stop soon.

Has anyone ever taken digestive enzymes with success? I am taking now these and Oil of Oregano, and Probiotics. And of course still on the Atkins/Candida diet.. but I'm staying away from almost all unatural foods now. It's pretty much meat.. and a little spinach for me. I'm not risking eating anything else.

Anyways.. another novel by me.. please if anyone has had success with digestive enzymes let me know.. want to know if I'm on the right path.. or if I'm just sailing somewhere out there again. I swear I'm so tired of trying to find new solutions.. I'm running out of ideas.. and my health is not improved much.. Oh WAIT, but hey.. my heartburn has almost completely diminished after my fast. I don't know if that's because I started the enzymes around the same time.. or if it's from the fast. But that's a good sign, right? Now if only I could start losing weight. I swear, I just won't be happy until this happens.

:( Lain

not2fat
Mon, Jun-17-02, 07:34
Lain, I don't have any experience with digestive enzymes (yet), but Dr. Atkins does recommend them...so keep me posted here on how they are working for you. As for that fast you were talking about...I can't imagine anyone doing a 30-day fast for any "illness." That's a REALLY long time. It definitely can't be healthy (as evidenced by your vomiting episodes), so I'm glad you aren't continuing with that and have gone back to a yeast-free, low-carb diet. I know that losing the 30 lbs. would make it tempting to try the fast again, but just remember that you can't maintain that weight, so obviously your body is lacking some things on that fast diet...gaining the lbs. back is its way of healing itself, so try to see it as a positive thing. (I know, I'm ready to try anything to start losing again too). BTW: I have a doctor appointment in July to see a candida specialist (or so I've been told she's a specialist) and we'll see what she recommends...I'll post any new info. here when I get it. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Lain
Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:56
not2fat,

thanx for the reply... you know.. I don't think I'll be doing fasting again.. it was just too painful. I just had read so many wonderful healing things about it.. and people having success with it. It seemed like such an easy way out. Imagine, one month and all better. For me that sounds like a dream, of course then, I've been sick for going on three years now. *sigh*

Seems I'm running out of options.. and I myself have been to a few of the 'candida specialists' seems to me they all say the same thing, low fat- veggie diet. I find that frustrating as well. I hope you have better luck with it.

You know.. I'm just really starting to believe I'm allergic to something in my diet... I'm gonna look more into that..

ok, nowI'm just babbling again.. good luck to you

:wave: Lain

VickiP
Wed, Jun-19-02, 06:31
Lain,
I'm not sure what you mean by a fast, is that not eating anything for 30 days straight!!!? That's crazy. You sound like you are going nuts. Maybe you should try to take a break from trying to eat so strictly candida, and do the general low carb. If you are not losing weight from eating the candida way and driving yourself crazy, then try something different. If you are not going to lose/gain either way, then why bother being so strict? Also, have you gone to an endocrinologist? There are problems with the endocrine system that can be attributed to weight gain like Cushings Syndrome, PCOS, thyroid and some others that I can't spell. It sounds like you are wearing your metabolism down by fasting, etc. You say that your health still isn't good, but I can't imagine you would feel that well by just eating meat and some spinach! My endocrinologist put me on glucophage b/c I'm insulin resistant. It has helped me lose weight while eating a moderate carb diet, when before I was having trouble losing while only on a very strict carb restricted diet.
Try not to take everything you read online literally anyways. THat was freaking me out for a while and I was spending money on supplements that don't work and trying new diets, etc. that weren't any good.
Good luck to you!
I am going to my doctor on the 24th of June for a follow up appointment, I'll let you know if she has any words of wisdom.
Tori

MistyBee
Fri, Aug-02-02, 13:43
You know.. I'm just really starting to believe I'm allergic to something in my diet... I'm gonna look more into that..

Dear Lain,

Hang in there... I myself am waiting for the results of some tests on candida. You don't say where you are located but I am in Colorado and my new Nurse Practitioner does phone consults as well as in person treatment if you are having trouble getting help.

She told me that blood tests weren't going to be the most helpful and gave me a kit (ick!) to take home. Last week it got air expressed to the Great Smokies labs in North Carolina. My followup isn't until the end of August as it takes 3 weeks or so to process the results. :exclm:

I hadn't know this, but she told me there are 8 different kind of candida and in each person they are not always effected by the same things. One of the tests they will do if they find there is candida overgrowth in my intestines (personally, I don't doubt that they will find it!) is they will test the candida they find against the herbs and drugs that are effective on candida and figure out which ones we should use on me!

Also, she said the test will show a bunch of other digestive problems... she also confirmed what I suspected, she said that if you have a metabolic disorder, or candida, you can do Atkins faithfully until the cows come home and you will not lose weight. Atkins even mentions that in his book.

I score really high on all candida questionnaires and I am really having trouble with food right now. Prior to my icky test with the kit I had to go off of all my wonderful supplements for a week (!) and my asthma is back really strong, and so are my sugar cravings. Ugh. :(

I am sitting here with my water and my vitamins and I am going to be strong and good, sigh. I am going to have to find a way to get through the next month until the appointment! So I am going to prepare my favorite low carb dishes and drink lots of water, and think positive....

I hope you have a doc or nurse who can help you through all this, I feel so much better just for being taken seriously.

-Misty

Lain
Sun, Aug-04-02, 12:52
MistyBee,

what you have just said in your reply makes more sense to me than anything I have heard. I had had the blood test done..and got it out of my blood, but am still having serious problems. I just know there is something in my gut.

I would LOVE to know who your doctor is. It sounds like she REALLY knows what she is talking about, and takes this thing very seriously, and attacks it from all angles.

Stick with it! I really think that's the only way to get rid of this hellish thing. (attacking it at all angles)

I only wish I could pvt message you.. it seems we would have a lot to say to eachother... and I am really just dying to know who your doctor is. I am not far from Colorado, and I would be willing to make the trip for someone like that.

Lain

MistyBee
Sun, Aug-04-02, 21:11
When you hit 25 messages you will be able to pm, so if you are keeping a journal it should be soon! then I will send you the info, I don't think I should just post her name, etc. on the public channels... She is a nurse practitioner and she does phone consults and will order your tests over the phone if you want! :)
I tried to PM you with her info but you are only at 18 messages...

it is soooo discouraging to do low carb and not lose weight, even the feeling better does n't always do it for me. I have had several days where I couldn't stick to it at all, but every times I eat lower carb at least, I feel so much better!

I am approaching my TOM and I had chocolate yesterday on an empty stomach and then I truly felt drugged, sick and sleepy and then after an hour or two I felt positively hung over. It was terrifying....

Today has been pretty good, I made a meal plan of possibilities for the week and then went to Costco and bought "good things" and came home and cooked up so different things to choose from for my lunches and snacks...

I have packed my gym bag for the morning so I can go and work out on the way to work....

It is tough, so very tough but I get a lot of relief in writing. I am so grateful to have found you, Lain, I had begun to have a hard time posting on the board because I hate how I haven't lost weight. I feel like a failure at times and I don't know what I am going to do. Not that I am glad you are having a hard time, but I am so grateful to know that I am not alone, even in this!

Between that and being taken seriously at the doctor's I am less depressive.... so thanks, I really was beginning to feel like screaming whenever people would tell me I hadn't been Strict enough!

-Misty

Lain
Mon, Aug-05-02, 01:42
Misty,

Thank you for replying so quickly.. I am too also grateful to have found you. You have no idea.. I am practically in tears right now.

I feel at such a loss. My job requires that I stay in really good shape, so I have lost my way of making the money that I am used to, and it seems the longer I am sick, the more foods I become intolerant to. I have tried rotating and everything. I think I may have leaky gut at this point.

I have also given up on my doctor. She was giving me diflucan for the candida, and when the blood work came back ok, and I was still feeling sick all the time, she began to tell me that I just needed to see a therapist. That it is all in my head now. But how can it be? I have so many seriously painful symptoms.. and I KNOW what it's like to feel healthy.. trust me.. this is not it.

This is why I found a ray of light in your words about your nurse. Because I strongly believe that I have it in my gut still. And I need help getting it out of there. I also feel I have intestinal problems at this point, and you mentioned she seems to look into that aspect of it as well.

I am going to write you like mad now.. hope you don't mind.. cuz I really want to hit that 25 mark. There are many things I wish I could talk to a friend about that understands where I am coming from, and as much as I love this site.. at times it is hard to say what I am really feeling.. because it is too personal and I just with I could talk one on one with someone a little more privately.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that.

thank you again... :spin: Lain

not2fat
Mon, Aug-05-02, 07:46
Hi MistyBee and Lain...I've been subscribed to the Candida forum for a while and have seen hardly any further replies here until you guys started back in on this one. Just wanted to let both of you know that I am in the same boat. As Misty said "it is soooo discouraging to do low carb and not lose weight, even the feeling better doesn't always do it for me. I have had several days where I couldn't stick to it at all, but every time I eat lower carb, I feel so much better!"...my thoughts exactly. I pretty much gain and lose the first 5-6 pounds of water weight everytime I go on and off low-carb and that 's it...then it's months of NO weight loss. But I do FEEL better.

Anyway, the lack of weight loss led me to the candida overgrowth idea and I was right. Just so you know, the first doctor I went to had me in tears, saying things like "your low-carb diet is so unsafe and there's NO WAY you could have candida overgrowth because you look healthy", etc. She never even let me talk. BUT, I actually found a GREAT nurse practitioner in my area from someone here on the board after they read my post on the terrible doctor visit. And let me tell you...it makes all the difference. She knew everything I was going to say, didn't make me feel ridiculous, had lots of information for me and did the blood work I had wanted all along. And YES, I definitely do have candida overgrowth and some food allergies. So now I am hooked up with her dietician who's creating a specific plan for me that will allow me to lose weight, get rid of the yeast, and avoid allergies. I just met with her last week, so I'll be sure to keep you posted...actually, I will probably write about it in my journal, so check there too if you're interested.

Good luck to both of you...I know how you feel. Everyone keeps asking me how much weight I've lost and I hate to tell them 'none' cause they are already against low-carbing as it is. If I tell them about the yeast, they will blame the diet...so I'm keeping quiet now :( Talk to you guys later.

Lain
Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:13
know what you mean...not2fat.. noone I know is for the low carb.. and they do the same about asking about the weight loss. hate that.

thing is.. I had a doctor that was holistic... but SOOOOOO against the low carb dieting.. and it is also the only way I feel good.. but not only am I not losing weight on it now.. I even GAIN! I'm losing my mind with all this.. like I said.. I think my problems have definately developed into a strong case of leaky gut or something.. cuz it's all that makes sense to me. and I did the blood work as well.. and she got me on different things to get rid of that.. but as soon as that was gone.. it was like... oh it must be in yer head now.. this is why I'm so interested in Misty's nurse.. cuz she recognizes that you can't just tell from the bloodwork.. and that there are several different types of the candida.. and she also seems to look at the intestinal problems it can cause.. and digestive problems.. and also seems to be ok with the low carbing.. all of these things REALLY interest me. this is the kind of person I have really been looking for. I am just terrified at this point to even think about coming off the low carbing if even this makes me gain weight.

ok.. sorry for babbling.. more like a vent hu? sowwy sowwy sowwy. :p

Lain

Lain
Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:19
by the way.. how do I keep a journal? so I can start stacking up on my messages.. and be able to pvt message soon?

Lain :rolleyes:

not2fat
Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:33
Lain...go to the home page of this board and scroll down until you see "My Lowcarb Journal/Low-Carb Bootcamp" and choose "Journals K-L" (L for 'Lain'). Read the red 'announcement' at the top of that page first. It basically tells you to create a new THREAD and call it whatever you want your journal to be called. Each time you want to post something in your journal, just go to that thread and submit a new POST by clicking on 'post reply'. That's it. It's just like all these other threads and posts but it is a whole thread just for you and others will come and make comments/give advice if you want. Hope that helps.

P.S.-my nurse practitioner said that bloodwork readings on candida and allergies are to be used as a guideline only because false results can appear, so your old doctor shouldn't have used your bloodwork results alone to say that you were 'cured'. Hope this new nurse helps you!

MistyBee
Wed, Aug-07-02, 06:26
Hi guys,
Oh you have cheered me up so!
The thought that we are all in this together... I am teary too Lain!

My N.P. said that you don't do bloodwork for candida - that you have to do a stool test (ick!). She made me stop taking all my supplements for a week before sending the sample (3 dyas random sample) because I take a lot of things that make it better. So I am foggier than usual these days.

It was kind of wild, after 3 days off of all my supplements, and I had an asthma attack for the first time in almost 6 months.

I am building myself back up now, it's been over a week. But I am so incredibly itchy! Oh boy...

Anyway, the appointment is for the 29th of August so I will just have to survive until then... taking my supplements like mad!

hugs,
Misty

MistyBee
Sun, Aug-11-02, 09:05
by the way.. how do I keep a journal? so I can start stacking up on my messages.. and be able to pvt message soon?

Lain :rolleyes:

Lain,
Where are you??????
-Misty

Shasta
Mon, Aug-12-02, 17:43
Hi all! Have any of you ever visited Dr. Walt Stoll's website? It is a general health website, but Candida and Leaky Gut are mentioned frequently.

He seems to lean towards holistic approach to health and wholeheartedly believes that yeast is a huge problem that is going unrecognized.

There is a bulletin board that covers all health topics, but you can also search for past post on certain subjects. I bet you would find a ton of Candida related posts because I have seen a lot of them over the last couple of years. He answers questions himself and all the other members put in their two cents also.

I think the website addy is something like askwaltstollmd (dot com). If you can't find it or the addy gets deleted from this post (not sure what the rules are on posting addies, that's why I spelled out dot com) use a search engine and put in "ask dr. stoll". I think that is what his message board is called.

I hope this helps a little.

not2fat
Tue, Aug-13-02, 07:26
Thanks Shasta...I'll be checking that website soon :)

Lain
Tue, Aug-13-02, 10:03
Hey Misty,

I'm still here.. I just haven't been feeling very well lately. Very worn out.. so I just haven't gotten around to coming here..

Recently I ordered this pamphlet from the Candida Wellness Center about thier program.. it looks REALLY good.. only thing though is it is just soooooooooo expensive.. I just don't know if I can afford it.. *sigh* (why is it that I feel that there are just so many that will take advantage of us poor folk in our weakened state?)

Ah well, I am really gonna try and tap into my sources and see if I can do this.. even if I can't do it exactly as they recomend..

Are you paying a bundle for the help of your nurse practitioner? And by the way.. when you saw her.. did she give you any idea of how long it sometimes takes for a person under her practice to heal? I would be very interested in knowing that.. I know you can't rush this thing.. but regardless.. can anyone truelly say that that time factor is NOT a concern? I personally cannot.. I want this over.. and I want this over now!! *pouting*

Anywaysssssssss..... sorry for disappearing on you Misty.. I'm here.. :bhug:

Lain.. :spin:

MistyBee
Wed, Aug-14-02, 06:11
I have yet to see what it will actually cost me because I sent to Blue Cross for reimbursement, but I had to pay $200 up front for an hour with her, and then $360 for the test kit that I took home. She also ordered lots of blood tests but I took that lab slip in to a place where my insurance should pay up front for me.

Health Dynamics (http://www.women-health.com/default.htm)
This is one of Carol's sites - you can get some of her tapes here. You could contact them and ask for the tapes on yeast - Yeast, What's the Problem
and I think the other one is called, Is Something Growing in Me?

The Health Center Carol is out of in Boulder is called Helios. They should be in the phone book. She would be glad to do a phone consult and take your medical history and order tests and things if that works for you.

When I meet with her on the 29th I hope to have more info on how long it will take... meantime I am back on my supplements and things but it takes a while to feel better...

Misty (alyssumhawk~earthlink.net) Here is my email link, hopefully this will work, please feel free to email me for her last name and if you want to talk about supplements.

-Misty

wcollier
Tue, Sep-03-02, 18:34
Lain:

I truly sympathize with you. I was put on a Candida diet 1 1/2 years ago. No medications, just supplements. I took digestive enzymes, probiotics and a slew of other supplements which were helpful. As I got better my doctor took me off the supplements.

My doctor had me do a "live blood cell" test with their on-site nutritionist. This test analyzes your blood cells under a very high powered microscope. These are live blood cells, not blood shipped off to a lab. For some reason, this is not widely used in the US, but I found this method helpful. My doctor was able to determine what supplements I required so I wasn't taking a bunch of stuff I didn't need. It was a somewhat customized program, you could call it.

Anyway, 6 weeks later they analyzed my blood "live' and it was like night and day in comparison to my previous test. I even have tapes of each test to prove it. I was also feeling substantially better.

Having said all that, I really need to stress to you that Candida is not the answer to every problem. Sometimes it's easy to label something "candida"-related, but the symptoms are so general, that they can mimick a host of other more serious problems. If standard candida treatment is not working for you, it is time to find another cause of your problem. When was your last physical? Have you seen an endocrinologist? Are there any other medications you are on? I am very sensitive to all medications. You seem in so much pain trying to find out what the problem is but it could be that you are barking up the wrong tree.

Whatever you do, don't fast again. There is nothing that will destroy your metabolism quicker and cause you a host of other serious problems. However, I'm sure you know this by now.

Good luck with your recovery,
Wanda

Paminifarm
Sat, Nov-13-04, 12:01
Hello,

Fungus Among Us:

Candida isnot something you “get”, as a rule.
When you “get” Candida, it gives no sign.
You donot know you have it until you
become weakened (or have sinned (:) or ill
etc, then it shows up; then you know you
have it - or had it all along. When it “shows
up” the way it does, it is because it thinks
you are carrion, and it is going to break you
down so that Earth can finish the job; turning
you into nourishment for the soil for plant
life.

I just joined today, because i see you folks
struggling with candida, which is what some
sufferers at news:alt.support.sinusitis are just
now agonizing over, and believe me when i
say "agony", because itisnot accepted by the
medical profession, but by just a chosen few
angels, and i happen to have one of them as
my ENT.

FUNGUS (The Third Kingdom):
I have, so far been discovered, Phoma,
Candida and Aspergillus-niger in my sinuses,
and of course the Candida is everywhere, and
why i have polyp surgery all the time - the
last one nearly killed me, because the
Candida tried to eat my lips offa me face . . .
I had the surgery July 9,'04 and am still
battling the candida, which still argues i
should be dead.

A Vote for Atkins, but:
I cannot be strict with my diet, however, 2
years ago when the Doc took me off all
grains and fruit, my big stomach stopped
sticking out and got flat looking. I am now
back on grains and fruit, because i am afraid i
will destroy my health if i donot eat the
variety God intended for Man to eat.

Now then fungus infection, yes, can either
kill you or destroy your life one way or
another. When you are having trouble being
diagnosed for something, and noone can
agree on what it is, you can bet your sweet
buppie it is the really big "C" (candida). You
will get little cooperation from the medical
profession and that includes the laboratories,
because they donot employ Mycologists. In
other words we all are in trouble; for
example: 96% of sinus trouble is fungus
related (mostly candida). The war against
fungus in the sinuses is a very, dirty war,
because the anti-fungus-in-the-sinuses
advocates hit below the belt every time they
get a chance. Mayo Clinic just put out papers
on this so it is rather "new", but not really.

You will need to use colon cleanses that can
take up to a year to FULLY work. Remember
there is a difference between a colon cleanser
and a bowel mover (laxative). I take a lovely
concoction of:
good, old psyllium-whole-husks w/Sonne’s
No. 7 (bentonite); Liquid Cal-Mag+ (the one
with the phosphorous in it (Kal)); Ultra-B
Liquid (by World Organic); grapefruit seed
extract; Capryl; Robitussin (green label
(guaifenesin)) in a quart bottle with
grapefruit juice and distilled water, and drink
with a straw before breakfast. Before the
“concoction”, or anything else into my
mouth, i chew an AZO Yeast, while making
the coffee, and dishing out organic yogurt,
salted, which i eat after the AZO Yeast
tablet; then i can have my coffee and
breakfast; then i brush my teeth. I use the
“guaifenesin” for my sinuses, so you donot
need that one, and go easy on the grapefruit
seed extract (i only use five drops in that
quart bottle). Only 3 of the above ingredients
are the actual colon cleanse. Can you guess
which?

Here is something youwill need to know to
fight your candida:
“Killing Fungi”
http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/afung.html

Sometimes pain in the stomach of an
unexplained nature can be soothed by taking
a 1000 mg Vit. E jell cap. (Vit. E. oil) at bed
time. Also learn about the many herb teas
that can also help.

Remember one thing if you forget everything
else: fungus cannot live in petroleum, such as
Vaseline etc; however since we cannot eat
Vaseline it makes it real hard to get rid of
systemic candida (: Oh well back to the
drawing board . . .

DIE OFF
In http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/afung.html
you will read about some experiences with
Die-Off.

A few other things to know is:
Iodine kills candida (kelp for eating (be
careful of kelp with iron (Kal has no “iron”;
Nature’s Way is half “iron”)); Betadine, for
surface of body (read the label for usage). At
farm, feed stores you can get iodine detergent
for the house and laundry, which is a must to
get rid of candida.

Gentian Violet: People that raise tropical
birds actually feed this suff to their birds . . .
so you can use it in your orifices.

Vinegar: When all else fails, to settle burning
tum tum, take a swig of vinegar - straight -
with nothing added.

Since Fungus is the Third Kingdom, you
may, any time now, start thinking of it as an
animal-form; actually a monster . . .
something you want to KILL dead - dead-
away dead, and as violently as possible,
because the sucker fights back with a
vengeance. Even after you kill it, it seems to
send out SOS messages, as it is slowly dying,
to its relatives, who inveterately come a
running to fill up the vacancy.

You will hear “them” say “Candida is
natural”, just remember this: “they” once
said that about fleas on dogs . . . I say send
Fungus back to the soil where it belongs!!!!!!
Earth is just one big stomach (a world-class
digestive system); we, however, arenot of
Earth; we are off Heaven . . . well at least
some of us are . . .
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ +
"Men fear truth as they fear nothing else on
earth
- more than ruin - more even than death...
Truth is subversive and revolutionary,
destructive
and terrible, truth is merciless to privilege,
established institutions, and comfortable
habit.
Truth looks into the pit of hell and is not
afraid.
Truth is great and swift and free, the light of
the world, and the chief glory of man."
{Author Unknown}
Jesus is the Word and the Word is Truth.

CocaCola
Tue, Dec-14-04, 11:06
I'm 5'2 and use to weigh 100lbs... I gained 40lbs in 3 weeks and didn't know what was wrong.
That happened last year.

I just found out a week ago I do have Candida and I'm hoping that these pills and diet will get myself back to normal.

I have no idea what you can do, sorry, but I'm in the same situation.

Zuleikaa
Tue, Dec-14-04, 11:19
Lain
How much oregano oil are you taking? You probably need to take a good amount 3-4 times a day for it to be effective. 300 mg. each time would be my guess for dosage.

Paminifarm
Wed, Dec-15-04, 09:59
Hello, Lain,
I am having trouble with my lips (probably candida in the saliva glands). Skin Doc gave me some cortisone cream for them, and within less than 2 days the upper part of my stomach enlarged and i gained weight. Steroid and Cortisone are one and the same. It has many other names however it is still the same thing, and does the same thing: it makes you gain weight, thins out your bones, raises your blood pressure and i forget what else. So i then, immediately went to a different kind of Doc. and he gave me Diflucan and told me to stop the cortisone (if i could) what????? Anyway i have stopped the cortisone and my lips are very sensitive, but changing radically. I had so much energy last night i couldnot believe it - thought i would never get myself to bed . . . finally did, not a good night because i am also on antibiotic for an infected tooth that was supposed to be pulled today, however yesterday i went to eye Doc; who said i have pinkeye, and stay away from everyone; donot shake hands etc. Now the tooth will be pulled Friday, however now i have to stay on the antibiotic which, as you know, makes fungus (candida etc.) worse (so does cortisone/steroid). The antibiotic causes severe acid in my mouth, so all night i was drooling and stinging the corners of my mouth, thus up and down hitting the kleenex box all night to stuff kleenes in the corners of my mouth :lol:
All in all i feel you have some how or another gotten yourself into some kind of steroid/cortisone. I think it can be found in common foods too. Have you been gorging on a particular food that may be hight in steroid? Especially beef is injected with steroid. Animals are injected mainly in the neck so stay away from neck cuts of all meats. Or you may be retaining a gross amount of water, which is scary, and in that case you would need to run to your Doc. If your bowles are blocked: between that, which would also make you retain water, i would imagine it could really run up the wieght. I hope everyone is on their intsetinal (colon) cleansers, and drinking lots and lots of GOOD water. Gotta go now to make my concoction of:
Psyllium (whole husks);
Bentonite;
Liquid Cal-Mag+;
Liquid B Complex;
And 2 Capryl (cannot find the liquid yet).

reversedms
Thu, Feb-02-06, 12:10
What ever happened to your acid reflux with the Primal Defense? I used Primal Defense for my candida to beat MS. There seems to be a link...However, I notice die off symptoms which is really tough acid reflux.

tunkany
Thu, Feb-02-06, 14:57
The problem with Primal Defense- according to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet with also targets Candida (scd.org, breakingtheviciouscycle.org) -is that it has a lot of stuff in it that irritates the stomach and intestines (spirulina, seeds, grains, grasses) and some of the bacteria are of questionable benefit.