PDA

View Full Version : Atkins & Vitamins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sheila_K
Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:40
Those who are on Atkins, what are you doing about Basic#3 supplements? To get it shipped from the states costs a lot, to get all the indvidual ones from Holland & Barrett would cost an arm and a leg too... I've been taking Centrium together with Vit-C, Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium supplements on top. But, I dont think its enough and it worries me a bit.... :help:

Ella
Tue, Feb-05-02, 10:39
Hello again!

I had the same problem at the beginning. I was taking only multivitamins from Boots and always felt that I'm not taking enough. At this forum someone suggested to read Protein Power which gives more information on vitamins and general low carbing issues than Atkins. It's a very good book to read. After reading it I became more familiar with vitamins and supplements. My favourite are multi-vitamins from Solgar, which you can buy at any good health food store or at Pharmacia in Covent Garden. Quite pricey but very good quality. There's a new range that includes essential fatty acids too, can't remember its name, but I have a look when get home, it's very good and includes all the necessary vitamins and minerals as well as EFA, you can take only this one 3 times a day, but it would be better if you also add Calcium+Magnesium, wich I do to prevent leg cramps. You also need to take Chromium Picolinate at least 200mg daily to stop those sweet cravings, it really works. Is your head spinning yet? :) mine was at first. Don't worry, after a couple of times you will be taking them like your nomal meal

There's a very good thread about vitamins on this site:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31179&highlight=vitamins

And... I think that's it from me for now. I'm sure you'll get more replies from more experienced LCers than me. You found the right place here!

Good luck!

fiona
Sat, Feb-09-02, 02:21
Sheila, I take EuRho Multivitamin & Mineral which is almost identical to Centrium + Evening Primrose Oil. Solgar is very pricey. I think if we are eating well and taking a good all round vitamin supplement that's enough.

Worrying leads to stress, which changes hormone levels which leads to a vicious cycle of more worrying. Balance is the key.

Take care.

juicyjacki
Mon, Feb-11-02, 15:35
All i take is a 1 a day multi vitamin from ASDA - 180 tabs for £2.38. I also take oil of evening primrose too.

If you are looking for some free vitamins here is a link:

www.goldshield.co.uk/dlw2

The passwords are, Heart, Vitality, Fitness, Health

You can either get evening primrose, Multivitamins, cod liver oil, odourless garlic, or flexeze. 60 tablets.

I recieved mine last week. If you really want to take advantage why not get friends & family to sign up on yoour behalf?

fiona
Tue, Feb-12-02, 14:26
Thanks for that tip Juicyjacki.

Their Multi-vitamins don't contain any of the minerals that are essential, unless they are not listed fully.

Take care.