PDA

View Full Version : Guar Gum (Xanthum Gum)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

missatkins
Mon, Mar-26-07, 05:37
Hi All,

I was just wondering if there were carbs in Guar Gum (also known as Xanthum Gum). Ive recently been using it as a thickener for sauces but each time I've used it, Ive felt really bloated. Could this just be a coincidence? It doesn't say on the jar whether it contains carbs or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lisa

cs_carver
Mon, Mar-26-07, 05:59
Not sure, myself, but I know it absorbs a LOT LOT LOT of water (which is why it thickens...) so it may just be soaking up more water once it's inside you, which would be the bloat.

You can turn a swimming pool to jello with enough of that stuff... and it doesn't take all that much, compared to the volume of the pool. The real problem is getting it stirred in evenly...

kevinpa
Mon, Mar-26-07, 05:59
Lisa, Guar Gum as well as Xanthan Gum are 100% fiber. As a result you end up with zero net carbs. I am sure your bloated feeling is nothing more than a coincidence and has little to do with the amount of gum that you are using.

missatkins
Mon, Mar-26-07, 06:02
Thanks so much for your replies. Ive just also discovered that guar gum used to be sold as a diet pill years ago, but was withdrawn due to health related issues. Apparently, it swells in the stomach to make you feel fuller. I can vouch for that!

redness
Sat, Apr-07-07, 15:25
yeah i heard about this becoming illegal to sell.

and that people were putting it in the toilet to flush them away and their toilets got blocked lol

where did you buy it from? i want some lol

mrking
Sun, Apr-08-07, 09:47
xanthum gum is the best! I just discovered it recently via some website that suggested its use to make a pudding to fill you up. Works great.

1cup water (cold)
1tsp vanilla
flavouring (whatever you have around the house)
1 tbs of cream or so
1 tsp of xanthum gum
1/2tsp guar gum (if you have it)
Mix with a whisk until thick

taste isn't the best but makes a good filler when I can't get teh hunger pains to go away.