PDA

View Full Version : Treating PCOS

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Cassie_01
Sun, Mar-04-07, 22:27
Hi all,
Im new to the PCOS forum and thought I would say Hi to everyone. I have been reading over some posts and they truley are heart-renching. Having PCOS is a big deal and I think extremely debilitating both physically and emotionally. I have been LCing for a while now to try and reduce the symptoms. It worked very well a few years ago when I was on the pill. I got down to my goal weight of 60kg, the hair and acne went away and I soooo happy. I was not longer sensitive to sugar and finally feeling in control.
I decided to go off the pill in july last year. Since then, my period has been quite irregular. I started seeing a naturopath to help me get them back on track. I managed to have four in a row from sept to dec, but I missed january and its been well over 60days since my last period.
I made a decision about a week or more ago to really fight this! I am so sick of the symptoms (since going off the pill, my acne and hair came back, I put on weight, I had dizzy spells all the time and my moods were all over the place) and am totally scared of what could happen in future. I so desperately want everything to go back to normal because I want to have babies in a few years (im 24 in 1 month).
So, I started Atkins lat week and have lost 4.4 pounds and really never left better. My concentration level is great, my acne has reduced and so has the hair (well, just a little). Im now 8kg away from my goal weight (well 8-10kg as Id prefer to be 58, but we-ll see).
I am also seeing a chinese doctor and currently taking herbs and having acupuncture once per week.
I guess I was just wondering whether I am wasting my time with alternative therapies or not. I dont want to go on metformin or other drugs for the hair growth, but if it seriously doesnt go away, I think Id end up quite depressed as I hate it. Im willing to fight it naturally with a strict LC diet, plenty of exercise and chinese herbs and acupuncture.
What do you all think? Any suggestions?
cheers,
cassie

Nuna
Mon, Mar-05-07, 12:56
I went off the pill 2 years ago. I have been moody, fat, craving food, acne, hair growth, and have had unpredictable af since then. And I have NOT tried to do anything about it! My doc told me to lose weight, but I didnt. I have just complained..? That is my fault.

The best thing you can do is STICK to Atkins so it can balance your hormones and your cravings! From the people I have talked too Atkins has been a life saver. IF you stick to it. And they say acne clears up and hair growth slows. (if you have that problem)

I have tried it before but never kept it fresh..I would eat the same boring food, so no wonder I never went far with it. NOW I have a weeks worth of meals planned out, I decided to do that today! My sister convinced me. And I have such a wonderful weeks worth of great foods thanks to this site! If you look in the recipe section you will find TONS of induction recipes! GOD bless this site!
I start induction tomorrow! Good luck to you!

mlk18sHuny
Wed, Mar-07-07, 11:19
I love how much my WOE helps with my PCOS symptoms. I am currently losing weight, my mood is much better, and I feel good!

Of course I have also been medically treating my PCOS since DH and I are in the TTC process. But I love LC! :)

Fialka
Thu, Mar-22-07, 07:17
Cassie:

Alternative therapies can be great if they work for you and are safe. And assuming you've researched everything.

Myself, I take zinc which helps alot with the acne. I don't have access to good Chinese Medicine people or else I would pursue that as well. As for metformin, I would take it happily, as it is one of the most effective treatments they have, but I am sensitive to it and it's not safe for me.

In terms of TTC, Resolve (a US nonprofit focusing on infertility) put out a newsletter full of info on alternative therapies. Chinese Medicine (assuming you can find a reputable practitioner which I can't) is supposedly very effective at treating fertility issues.

You're definitely exploring the right things to get your cycle on track. Before you ttc though, also make sure you're ovulating. Use an ovulation predictor kit. With PCOS you can bleed due to hormonal imbalances not because you ovulated and it will save you a lot of time and grief if you find that out sooner as opposed to later.

And don't spend too much time on natural therapies. Time is precious. You'd be surprised how much time treatments (alternative or not) can take. If you have a worst case scenario where you need IUI or IVF it's better to start sooner than later. It's a learning curve and the financial issues take some finagling.

I started ttc with conventional medicine when I was 30. It took me 4 years to finally work through the treatments (and various complications) to get PG. So I always make sure to tell women they don't have all the time in the world.

One IVF cycle can take 4 months with all the testing and just minor complications. And then, of course, you take a break for a month or two or wait until you have more money before starting the next cycle and before you know it a year has gone by and you've had two birthdays since you started ttc.

So do the alternative thing, but don't linger if it doesn't seem to be working.

F

Cassie_01
Wed, Mar-28-07, 19:28
Hi all,
thanks for your comments Fialka, I really appreciate them.
I have been seeing a wonderful chinese doctor for the past 6-8 weeks or so and I cannot believe the improvements as well as following low carb diet and getting back into exercise.
My skin has cleared up to baby smooth. Very few pimples and if they are they are more rashy not big anf yucky.
The hair has really reduced and barely see it. I have lost weight which I think is largely due to diet and exercise.
I had my first cycle last week or more ago after over 70days of non-existent period. So, all im doing now is waiting to see if I get it next month (fingers crossed) then I am off to get an ultrasound and my bloods done to see how im progressing.
Im not on any meds - my gyno wanted to consider metformin and an anti-androgen drug last year, but that was before I wa serious about getting into diet and exercise.
I really do hope I can stick at it the natural way. Obviously if I need to go on meds then thats fine. But I will try anything natural first.
thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.
cassie

LStump
Mon, Apr-30-07, 12:41
Can one of you clue me in as to what Chinese therapy is? Obviously, Chinese, LOL, but what goes on? This seems really interesting and seems to work for some. If I can help myself naturally instead of pumping my blood full of pills, that would be great!