PDA

View Full Version : Feeling great, 25% into my goal

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

u28rt59
Sat, Feb-02-02, 03:11
I'm feeling pretty good about now. I was 340 Lbs back in November. I lost 7 lbs by reducing my caloric intake and lots of exercise, and now another 18 lbs doing adkins. This means I'm 25% of my way to losing 100 lbs.

Everyone at work has commented how great I look, and it makes me feel good. I've lost 4 pant sizes also. I look rediculous in a 4XLT shirt now -- had to get out some older clothes. Today I wore a pair of Levi's that I havent fit into since 1996.

I'm not going to proclaim to know everything, but I have noticed a few interesting things about this Atkins. The first 3 days are unplesant, and then it gets better. I suggest starting on a Friday morning if you're new to this. Bowel movements become infrequent and irregular. You need to drink a lot of water. I decided to treat myself to excellent bottled water, which I find easier to drink at room temperature. I think my body temp is slightly higher.

I threw away all of my high carb food on the first day. I could not help but laugh to myself when I was doing it. It was a huge waste, but I think it helped motivate me. I take a multivitamin, and additional chromium tablets. Not sure if it helps any, but why mess with success?

I eat 3 eggs, 1 oz cheese, and 2-3 ounces of sausage for breakfast. At lunch I eat 2 oz cheese, 6-8 ounces of tuna or chicken, and mayo -or- a chef salad with lo carb dressing. Dinnertime is usually 8-16 ounces of grilled meat or fish and one cup of broccoli or similar. I believe this is about 1/3 less food than I used to eat, but at least 3 times as much meat. Snacks are 1-2 ounces of cheese (I buy pre sliced, so I know exactly how many ounces I'm eating), pork rinds (5-10 chips are satisfying, I never finish the bag before they're stale, so they get tossed) and meat sticks. Way too much salt probably.

I think I've only cheated twice so far. #1 was at a business meeting, and the catered lunch had chicken that had been dredged in flour and sauteed. There was probably less than 1tsp of flour on the meat. #2 was at a business dinner. I took a breadded cheese stick from the communal appetizer platter, because I thought I could get the breadding off. I couln't. This was probably 1tbsp of bread crums.

I used to be a Diet Coke junkie. I stopped drinking it for 10 days, and then started drinking it again recently. I limit mysef to 1-2 cans a day. If it slows my weight loss I will give it up again. I am confident that if I can have Diet Coke, I will not need anything else sweet, as I have never had a sweet tooth. I know caffeine is bad, but I really enjoy it a lot, and it keeps me from drinking alcohol too. This is how I justify it anyway.

I've been doing a lot of walking. On the first week, I walked 20 miles at 5mph. It takes exactly 30 minues to walk the 2.5 miles each way to and from work. There is a large hill to climb each way. The weather has been bad this past week, and I've had business meeting that I had to dress for, so I only walked 10 miles. Next week I'll walk 15 miles. It is far easier to walk when I have headphones on. Treat yourself to a good radio and walk when you can listen to a good talk show.

I had my blood pressure checked, and it was 125/75. Heart rate was about 68. The nurse said this was good for someone my size. I'm not quite 30 years old, so I think I still have a good chance to save my heart. I should have my cholesterol checked soon. It has never been over 140, so I'll know if Adkins is causing it to increase.

My next goal is 299 lbs. I will be a happy man at 299, especially if it comes by the end of February which is my birthday. In May I will see my parents for the first time in 5 months, and I'd like to be less than 260 by then, my lowest weight since 1991. My main goal is to be 240 lbs. I will still be overweight according to the experts, but I don't give a da*n about them. This is my life and my body. Once I am 240, I will decide what to do next. I have a very large frame, with 9" wrists and size 16 feet. My sleeve length is 37-38. I am quite certain that I will look and feel great at 240.

I am the strongest person I know. I have not and will not let anything or anyone stop me from doing anything, once my mind is set. I graduated first in my class in college, my career has exploded, and I have traveled to over 25 countries on vacations. I decided that all of these things would happen, and they did. I am the person who gets the job done, even if it appeared to be impossible. I will not allow my weight to control my life anymore. I will take my shirt off in public when I want to. I have lied 1000 times by telling people I don't like to swim or snorkel. I love it but have been too embarassed to take my clothes off. I will not worry any longer that I am 'squishing' the person next to me on an airplane. This nonsense will end! My mind is set in this matter. Thanks for reading.

AngelaR
Sat, Feb-02-02, 05:17
Congratulations on your loss and your determination. :cheer: Looks like there's a tiger raring to go in those size 16 shoes. Go for it!!! Good luck along the way.

lauraW
Sat, Feb-02-02, 09:01
Wow!!

What an inspiration you are to all of us..thank you for sharing that with us..

With an attitude and determination such as yours...you cant go wrong..good luck and keep us posted..

Laura

u28rt59
Sun, Jul-07-02, 16:05
This week I broke 300 lbs for the first time in about 6 years. I treated myself by going out anf buying clothes in the regular men's department at Dillard's. Yep, I can fit into some XXL shirts now!

gc1
Sun, Jul-07-02, 16:52
This is great! You are doing this woe to suit YOU and you are succeeding, keep up the great work

Instead of a Diet Coke I reach for decaffeinated green tea and a touch of splendra.... this also works great HOT in the morning as a substitute for coffee

Keep up the good work it will only get better for you

One of the great things of being a big guy on this woe is that it does not take long before the wife is griping about seeing the crack of my ~ss becuse my fat clothes don't fit anymore

Best of luck to you

Jeff