PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Cycle Bleeding???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dstout
Fri, Feb-01-02, 19:14
Just wondering if anyone has experienced any mid-cycle bleeding? I've been on the pill for quite some time now and have had absolutely NO problems in the past. My cycle is like clockwork. The only time I've ever been pregnant is immediately after I've gotten off the pill.

I started the low carb diet almost 2 weeks ago right after the last day of my period. I woke up this morning to a mid-cycle bleed. I'm baffled. This has never happened to me. Just wondering exactly what to point my finger at.

Has this happened to anyone else?

lisaf
Sat, Feb-02-02, 21:51
Check this out -- this topic is not new to the forum:

Ladies please read (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15285&highlight=period)

I had this as well. It started in December with heavy spotting. My last cycle started a full week early and...forgive me for the gross extra detail...I've been able to express breastmilk. This would not be unusual except that I stopped breastfeeding in September, 2000.

I've seen my dr. and my prolactin levels are normal and he says he has seen this side effect with prolonged pilluse.

Here is my definitely non-medical opinion. When you are controlling your insulin, a hormone, the other hormones in your body are going to be affected. Apparently for women on the pill, a common side effect seems to be mid-cycle bleeds.

Lisa

anniec
Mon, Feb-04-02, 14:22
I have this problem!!!! I am on the pill with another week and a half worth of pills to take, but i started lightly bleeding - enough to be annoying - last week. I don't get it, but i am still taking the pill.

My 2nd son was born in June and I breastfed until September and then went on the pill. So this is my 4th month back on the pill and everything has been peachy and predictable, until I started LCing. I wondered if there might be a correlation. I wonder if I am going to still get my period at the regular time? Hmmmmm.... Have to wait and see, I guess. :confused:

wangeci
Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:18
I only have one medical answer as far as the mid-cycle bleeding as I just asked my doctor this during my last pap. Because since this summer I have had this, and more so after low carbing. So, I have no idea how the low carbing or higher protein has caused it. But the mid-cycle bleeding I have is also like clockwork. My doctor explained to me that I bleed during ovulation that is why and to not worry. I was worrying about cancer and such once it started because it had NEVER happened before. So, there must be some corrolation with the LC diet, but I have no answer, just the ovulation bleeding.
Cindy

dstout
Sat, Feb-09-02, 19:32
Well, it's been 9 days now... still bleeding. And it's not spotting, it's heavy like a normal period. I'm actually supposed to start my period next week.

I did call my doctor and they said that they doubt it's because of the diet but maybe because I've lost weight. Now... I've lost weight before and never had this happen. I'm not sure what's going on. They said that if I bleed for over 10 days to come in and they will give me something to stop the bleeding. She also said she doubted I'd get it again at my normal time.

Which makes me think... when you're on birth control, the time that your period is supposed to come is during the week you are taking the sugar pills. Will this then expose me to getting pregnant? I suppose I'll ask my doctor that when I go to get a shot to stop the bleeding (I know I'll have to...) :confused:

Thanks for your messages! I'll let you know what the doc says.

Diane

lisaf
Sun, Feb-10-02, 13:41
Diane -

My opinion: As long as you are taking your pills as you should you won't get pregnant (or at least its as effective as the drug company says...97-99%) so I wouldn't think you need to worry about that!

By the way, when mine started a week early, it was a full bleed and continued on right past the day I would have started...I bled for almost 12 days straight. Not pleasant!!!!

Lisa

rgarlough
Mon, Feb-11-02, 15:01
I had the same experience. My period was 2 weeks away but I felt a little cramping over a few weeks. Then 14 days later after starting my new pack, bam, I had my period. I'm tri-cycling, which means I take 3 packs of pills back to back, skipping the placebos and then stop for a week, get my period and I'm off again. But I had just had my period a pack before and wasn't schedule for it to return again for 2 months. Guess it decided to come early. I had dropped 11 pounds and attributed it to the fat loss. I just started a new pack on that following Sunday thinking that would be easier than trying to finish my old pack. But I did have that first LC period for like 10 days, which is a whole 6 days longer than usual. My period wasn't as aggressively crampy as it used to be but I experienced cramping for the whole period which I never used to. I also bled a lot more. I haven't had a period like that since I was 12. Very weird. I have my fingers crossed that my next one will be on time and regular. I must say at first I thought I was pregnant because the cramping was so unexpected. I raced out and bought a pregnancy test. It was all so weird.

Annie G

DivaDani
Mon, Feb-11-02, 15:16
Hi dstout,

Just wanted to share: Let me first say that about 9 years ago I lost 65 pounds doing Jenny Craig while I was not taking the pill and had no cycle problems at all. I've been on the pill for 6 years now (with no problems) and for the first two cycles after I started Atkins I had mid-cycle bleeding at least a week early and that just started my period. Since then, no problems. I figure it must have been some sort of enzyme/hormone change because I'm still losing weight and taking the pills, but I'm back to normal cycles now.

Dani

anniec
Fri, Feb-15-02, 18:55
OK, I started the Atkins diet and the following week i started bleeding. At first, it started out like spotting, but then it turned into a full blown heavy bleed. ( Sorry for the gorey details.) I finally called my OBG after 2 weeks of this and they prescribed Premarin. I am 32, so it's not like it's the big M or anything. I continued to bleed through the day that I was supposed to start my period ( which was the 13th, like clockwork.) Now it is finally slowing and I am to start my next pack of pills (tri-cycle) on Sunday, the 17th. My OBG also said that it had nothing to do with the LC diet. But I'm not convinced after reading all of the above. I guess I'll just have to see how next cycle goes.

Thanks for all of the sharing ladies. :roll:

LessIsMore
Fri, Feb-15-02, 20:50
Ladies, I just posted a similar thread on another board because I was trying to find out how many others on a Low Carb diet experienced this.

Here's what I've found (I think it was on the Atkins website):
Bleeding mid-cycle is not unusual during the first few months of low carbing. From what I recall, it has to do with the fact that estrogen is stored in fat cells, so when we burn fat we release stored estrogen, thus tricking the body into 'delivering the monthly periodicals'. :)

Someone posted a link, above, which I haven't read yet, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I guess I'm not alone!!!

dstout
Sat, Feb-16-02, 09:59
Well, after bleeding for 10 days it stopped. Only to start again in 2 days. Bled for 5 days. It actually stopped today.

Went to see the doc and she said that it could definately be because of the diet. To just watch what I eat for the next month and not watch the carbs. We'll see next month if it's the pills that need changed or if it was the diet.

I don't think that I could go through bleeding half the month next month too. :(

Thanks for your posts!
Diane

rgarlough
Mon, Feb-18-02, 13:33
Um, my cycle has been really messed up for some reason. Here's the, um, details:

Started Atkins 1/14/2002

Mid Jan - 1 week early, lasted a couple extra days

2/1/2002 - About 3 weeks after end of Jan period; lasted 8 days; 4 days longer than normal.

2/16/2002 - I've only taken 12 of my 21 pills and I've already gotten it again.

Seriously, what's happening? I tri-cycle so I should only have it every 3 months.

Am I losing too much fat?

Annie G.

Melberry
Mon, Mar-04-02, 15:50
It has to be the diet! I've never had this problem before. I started LC on 13th Jan this year. My last period came one and half weeks early and lasted about 3-4 days - was not as heavy as usual but was definately a full period. My sugar pills were due to start that weekend but, as I had a conference the next week, decided to skip them and miss my main period. I'd been suffering such bad PMS that I didn't want to sit through 3 days of conference with cramps. Well - it didn't work! On the Wednesday I started out with a shocking headache and by Thursday I had the headache AND a full period AGAIN. I was not impressed, I can tell you! I stopped the pill after I realised that it definately was the full period. Obviously my hormones are up the creek!

It is so nice to know that this is common on LC. I will bear with it as I am enjoying losing the weight. As long as I know it might happen I will be ready for it if it happens again.

Melberry
:wave:

KazC
Mon, Mar-18-02, 07:07
What a relief to know others are going through the same as me. I started on the Atkins diet at the start of this year and have had mid cycle bleeding this month. It went away and I have now been on for 11 days. It started with 6 days light spotting, went into my normal period which lasted 3 days and then has returned to light spotting. I am seeing my GP on Thursday but I will be able to mention some of these comments to her. I have been worrying myself sick over the cause - to the point where I am considering coming off the diet and going back to calorie counting!

Kaz

BASpider
Thu, Mar-21-02, 23:13
With estrogen being stored in fat, and this woe burns fat, throwing all the fat and estrogens and who knows what all into the blood stream, logic says that as long as our periods are royally messed up, we're losing fat!

Add me to the list of "doing the woe correct!" :)

BASpider
Thu, Mar-21-02, 23:20
With estrogen being stored in fat, and this woe burns fat, throwing all the fat and estrogens and who knows what all into the blood stream, logic says that as long as our periods are royally messed up, we're losing fat!

Add me to the list of "doing the woe correct!" :)

tofi
Tue, Mar-26-02, 12:38
Glad to see so many people have answered that some strange things are happening.

I believe that the first 2 months may have some changes because of the estrogen release from cells as fat is lost.

Many people skip a period if they are not on any BC pills. It comes back after the second month. I suppose it might make a difference when in one's cycle one started to do LC.

Break through bleeding - either heavy or light - is frequently reported on a number of boards.

If the cycle is not restored by the 3rd month, then a Dr. visit is probably warranted.

By the way, look in the PCOS forum. LC is used as a treatment for people who don't get regular periods and it helps in that kind of infertility.

BarB

bansshee
Wed, Mar-27-02, 14:38
I was so happy to find this thread. I was having a panic attack about all this break through bleeding. I hadn't finished two weeks of my pills and bam, here I am bleeding again. The weird thing is that the same thing happened last month BEFORE I started Atkins. I was blaming it on bad BC pills but now I am not sure. Regardless I am off to the Dr. next week (hopefully will be done by then) to get my BC changed. The brand I am using makes me more crampy anyway.

I wanted to ask... if anyone is still following this thread... what types of BC are/were being used when the break through bleeding occured? I read in a different thread that certain brands seem more prone. I am using Alesse. I don't believe that that my WOE will be detered by this though (my DH may have something to say about that though!). Honestly bleeding every two weeks is an inconvenience but nothing compared to the problems my weight has caused.

:thup:

julesinmem
Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:13
Bansshee, I was on ortho-tricycline when I had the mid cycle bleeding, just after I started Atkins in late jan, about 2 weeks.
I knew I was getting my tubes tied soon so I just quit takin them about 2 weeks into Feb. I just now got my period. The pills stalled my weight loss dramatically. Now I'm starting to loose again. I guess a stall can also be assocatied with the type of pill you are using. i'm just glad 15 years of pill use is over...

LAPROSCOPY HERE I COME.......APRIL 1, 9:00am :hyper:

news2me
Fri, Mar-29-02, 19:57
WOW! My first post and this is the place I chose to make it! I just had the same problem. I thought maybe it was because they changed my pills to the orthotricyclin, but maybe it is a combo of LC'ing and the pill. So relieved to find others are in the same boat! :daze:

Lisa N
Sat, Mar-30-02, 08:29
I don't take the pill, but I have noticed that my periods have gotten somwhat less than regular (usually a few days to a week early) where before I was on a 29 day cycle like clockwork. Since I'm 40, I've been writing it off to beginning to go through "the change", but maybe it's the way I'm eating. Either way, it's not a big enough problem for me to go back to high carb.

fern2340
Sat, Mar-30-02, 11:39
Ok, wasn't going to post because I didn't want to gross anyone out but here goes:

I am on the pill and not scheduled to get my period until Tuesday. Around a week ago I started noticing that when I urinated and wiped myself there was this brown stuff on the paper. Looked like when I get the end of my period. I didn't wear a tampon for like a week b/c it never got on my underwear just kind of appeared on the paper! :( Then yesterday, it got on the underwear a little bit and so I put in a tampon. Now I have my period, fullout! I am sorry for being so gross but I am wondering if others have experienced this?!?!!?

news2me
Sun, Mar-31-02, 10:46
fern,
That wasn't too graphic! LOL :o Just wanted to say that is exactly what happened with me.

news2me

fern2340
Mon, Apr-01-02, 07:43
Glad you responded news2me!
I was beginning to get a little worried! It is just weird to me that it happened all of a sudden...

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one!
Linda

bansshee
Mon, Apr-01-02, 08:44
I wish mine were as simple as "brown paper". I have been using tampons now for about 10 days now and getting REALLY sick of it. I am now in my "official" period time according to my pill schedule. I have a Dr's appointment Friday. I made it before I found out that this was happening to others. I guess it can't hurt to go though. I was thinking about changing the type of BC I am using anyway. I used to use ortho... now I use Alesse. I think the ortho was better.

Does anyone have any idea how long this bleeding every two weeks will last? I don't want to leave my BC. I don't want to get pregnant and the alternative BC methods are not great.

H

rgarlough
Mon, Apr-01-02, 09:34
Well, I just got my period again too. I thought I was finally getting back to normal and then I was tortured with terrible cravings starting last Thursday. Then bam. On Saturday I got it again. I'm supposed to be tri-cycling (taking 3 packs of BC - monophasic, and then having my period for a week) and I'm not "scheduled" to get my period until 4/24. Well, obviously, my body doesn't care about the schedule! This period isn't as heavy as my first 3 from LC were but it's still a period.

bansshee
Mon, Apr-01-02, 09:51
Yesterday, I had the worst cravings I have yet to experience on this diet. The bad thing was that I didn't want to stop eating. I wasn't really craving a specific food but I just want to EAT! I didn't eat anything I wasn't supposed to and I believe I actually stayed within my carb limit but my fat and protien intake were through the roof. I am better today. I used to have really bad binges right before or on the day I got my period (even with taking BC). I guess that hasn't gone away. I can at least minimize the damage now. I won't eat things I am not supposed to but I hope it is okay to go a bit nuts with the protien. :daze:

Fortunately today is better. Oh, almost forgot, yesterday was my day off from working out. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

As always, I am glad to know that I am not alone.

H

rgarlough
Mon, Apr-01-02, 10:11
Um, yes, my cravings were just for FOOD!!! And lots of it. I had a big steak dinner on Thursday (with veggies) and by the time I got home, I felt like I never even ate! I tried to limit myself to just LC snacks and foods but I did eat some chow mein on Sat. Then the Easter bunny made me a beautiful basket (thanks Grandma :( like I'm not on a LC WOE or anything). And of course, Periods = Chocolate for me so scarf-scarf some's missing :rolleyes:

So for me, it's back to 20-30 grams carbs/day.

Wise1
Wed, Apr-03-02, 06:50
I started a new pill (Mircette) about a month before Atkins and I had no problems the first month but then for the past month every other week I have had my period or spotting. I stopped the pill when I was finished with the pack and I still havn't gotten my period since I'm almost two weeks late now. I know I'm not pregnant but my mind was playing head games so I went out and bought the oops pills and took them right after I had intercourse just in case my body decided to ovulate instead of menstrate.

I am 30 and I have one 10 yr old daughter, I never plan on having another child so last week I scheduled to have my tubes tied on May 7 th so this will not be an issue again.

I do enjoy this WOE though so I'm not going to let estrogen stop me from losing!

bansshee
Wed, Apr-03-02, 08:32
I believe you have just encountered some of the many joys of being a woman losing weight. Three years ago, when I started losing weight (I had surgery... if I new then) my period stopped completely so I got on BC to regulate it. Now I am on BC and losing weight and my period doesn't seem to want to stop. This time around I don't have a choice about not using BC though. I am married (one year anniversary in June) and pregnancy is not on my agenda. The alternative BC methods aren't suitable so I guess I am stuck. The big comfort I have in this is knowing I am not the only one. I refuse to let my estrogen get in the way of my body shrinking. DH will just have to deal until everything straightens itself out.

H

thinkthin
Sat, Apr-20-02, 15:02
:daze: Well, like all of you, I'm glad to find I'm not alone but sorry for all your flow troubles too. I guess I'll get through this like the rest of you. I'm 43 and have been on Mircette for almost a year. Has always set things exactly on time (monthly cycle with hormones in ALL the pills, just less of them in one week). I've only been on induction for 2 weeks now (lost 5.5 lbs.) and started it the very last day of my period. So now (2 weeks later) I get it again! With cramps. You'd think dear Doctor Atkins would have some information on this "situation" since obviously it affects women both on and off the pill, and not just a few women either. Intuition tells me that once you get to the point where you are maintaining a weight, the periods would become normal again. Hopefully I'll be able to see if that's true someday.
On the plus side, I haven't had ANY sinus trouble (pain and pressure which I used to get most of the time) since I eliminated all things bread, pasta, rice and sugar. I'm really impressed by that since I had been to the doctor's about it (I'm not a doctor-goer) and went through lots of migraine tricks and should own stock in all makers of Sinus Pain and Pressure medication.
Thanks for taking the time to read this "way longer than I meant to" post. :doah:

hymntonink
Mon, Apr-22-02, 17:38
Love this thread. I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I've been on Atkins for 10 days, and I'm mid-cycle and start full blown like you guys have posted. I'm taking tri-cyclen too, have been for about 2 years. Never had a problem , just like most of you. Seems like after reading most of the posts on this that tri-cyclen is the main one that this happens to. Wonder if its just because it is one of the more popular pills and just a coinidence. I dunno. But ya...if it wasn't for this forum I would have been very worried last night when I started. But I remembered some of the posts mentioning this, did some more searching today at this site and I am not worried. It will pass. Just have to buy a small army of tampons to get me through whatever my body wants to bring on me. But thanks for everyone sharing. It's very helpful to find out exactly how this diet is affecting other women.

Kirsten

bansshee
Tue, Apr-23-02, 07:46
I am happy to report (if any cares) that my cycle is back to normal again. After over two months of on every two weeks, it seems I am back to normal. I did change my pill from Alesse to the Ortho-tri (I had wanted to do this before my cycle went haywire). This is my first month back on Ortho. No mid cycle break-throughs just smooth sailing. I also think I have settled better into this WOE. To anybody who reads this freaking out like I was, it does get better. Granted your significant other may not like it but they will deal.

Heather

phonemarsh
Fri, Apr-26-02, 20:56
I'm wondering if anyone reading this thread is not on the pill and experiencing odd TOM symptoms.
I've been having terrible "clotty" periods. They are very crampy and very heavy. Not 'breakthrough" bleeding. It only happens at my regularly scheduled period. Does Atkins talk about this?

hymntonink
Sat, Apr-27-02, 09:55
5th day of mid-cycle bleeding. Am I having fun yet? =)

irisinnyc
Fri, May-03-02, 11:50
same symptons here. into my 3rd week of LCing and been in mid-cycle bleeding on my 6th day now..longer than my usual time lasts..ugh. bad cramps too. I'm on ortho-tri as well. Have been for years... I hope this more than once a month thing doesnt last for too long....
:daze:

bansshee
Fri, May-03-02, 12:45
You might have endure for a month or two but it will even out. Hang in there. If you weren't taking BC, then you would be without your monthly friend for a month or two. Bodies are such delicate systems and always seem to lodge some sort of protest at change.

H

Spring
Sat, May-04-02, 05:15
My daughter that has PCOS and hadn't had a period in over a year is beginning to have them again. This is her third month on Atkins and the first month she spotted, then skipped a month and now she is having a normal period. So, it is not all bad gals! I think that maybe our bodies have to get "cleaned out" before we return to normal.

lastchance
Tue, May-14-02, 06:17
Hi girls.

With my homoeopath's hat on, as well as my Atikins-er hat on, here's what I think.

I have had this cycle disturbance too, and I've not been on the pill for decades. It might have been the first sign of the change, in my case, but equally it might be the hormones as I know my system is heavy on estrogen naturally and that (as has been said), it is stored in fat. It coincided with my losing 5 lbs in one week. So that fits too.

There is loads of estrogen in the water, in fish etc because of the estrogen we pee out of our systems and the fish get it, we eat it etc. Cattle etc also have hormone supplements as a matter of routine. We are awash with estrogen and it is considered to be the main factor in male infertility in the western world.

In terms of clots, heaviness of periods etc, periods are a way of flushing out the system. Some homeoopaths say that this is one of the reasons why women live longer than men - we have a discharge mechanism that they don't have. If your system is under strain, the bleeding will be longer, or more clotted, to cope with it and this strain includes any emotional strain as well as any physical one (like dettoxing, which is what we are all doing as we release toxins from the fat). Also, (still with me?), people on a heavy meat diet tend to have heavier periods than vegetarians.

The important thing here is to make sure you are compensating for it. If you are bleeding a lot, make sure your diet is iron rich. If you are craving loads of protein etc it's cos your body needs it to make up the blood it is losing and don't forget the muscles which are used to make the period happen etc. We need to feed those too. Obviously, chocolate is not needed by the body to rebuild itself (well, not physically, anyway!) also, you need to drink your water even more than before as you will be losing lots. However, constant heavy bleeding is not right and you should visit your doctor - though a homoeopath can fix it for you pretty easily, without giving you even more hormones, which will only cause you more problems. If you can get to a homoeopathic pharmacy, ask for agnus castus mother tincture and have 4 drops in half a glass of water 4 x a day. That should fix it pretty fast.

Hope you all even out pretty fast

Sara

susannac
Sun, Jun-30-02, 13:38
I was very interested to read all this stuff about mid-cycle bleeding, because I now have a bleed 11 days after my period. This is like clockwork and has been going on for the last four months or so (I started low carbing in February). However, the bleed is definitely getting more. It lasts a day or so, and then I have my period 14 days later. When I phoned NHS Direct they recommended going to the Doctor, but now I have read everyones comments, I think I will just wait and see. Does anyone know if exercise makes any difference? I put my weight on during pregnancy - my youngest is now 20 months and I am at last starting to lose it. I used to exercise a lot, but have been too tired recently and I wondered if that affected hormones aswell. I am not on the pill.

tofi
Thu, Jul-04-02, 19:37
Susan - the disruptions in cycles caused by starting LC generally settle back into regularity after the second cycle. (if you missed one, or if you got one early, the next one is on time.) But your's has been going on for 4 months. So I would take the advice you got from NHS Direct and make an appointment to see your doctor. It is better to check it out and have it be a nothing than the neglect a something. LC is not responsible for everything that happens in our bodies.

:wave:

susannac
Fri, Jul-05-02, 04:30
Thanks Tofi. I'll wait and see what happens this mid cycle, and if I get another bleed, then I'll visit the doc!! :)

VictoriaT
Sat, Jul-06-02, 14:05
:thup: I am so happy to read this thread :D
I am on orthotricyclen for a long time-never any probs--on ATkins LCing for 3 weeks and got my period one full week early!
It bothered me until I read all these posts.
This forum rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hopefully this will work itself out soon
Vicki :wave:

IncyB
Fri, Apr-11-03, 08:15
Well I'm not on the pill - but a progesterone only injection - 6 days into Atkins and heavy bleeding started (and Im not used to having any periods at ALL on the depo!) - continued for 17 days - heavy heavy clotting - then had to get drugs from Dr to stop the bleeding. Stopped taking the tablets and the bleeding started again!! I hope this is not going to go on for ever or I'll have to ome off the Atkins plan..... Anyone else have the same experience?

MsJinx
Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:40
If things are going normally, we bleed when our estrogen levels drop. Body fat produces estrogen too. Also carbs cause an increase in estrogen.

When you're on the pill, your ovaries are put outta business (while you're on the pill) since the pill is supplying progesterone and estrogen.

So, the amouont of hormone you are receiving doesn't go up like it would or should if your ovaries were the source of estrogen - the pill dishes out a set amount.

Now, if you're not on the pill....? I guess your body is adjusting. I recently went off the pill and am curious about what's in store for me...we'll see.

Good luck, ladies.

m1whowaits
Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:49
I'm not on Atkin's technically, maybe more like his OWL section. But my cycles were getting lighter and lighter. The last two were on time but heavy and a a full 7 days. They were down to 4. Also the cramps (I was always lucky there) were only the first day after I started. Now it's been just the first few hours when it begins!! We'll see how long it lasts like this. I think sugar has a lot to do with mine. It affects me horribly, I've discovered. Heart palpatations, angina and panic attacks. They've all gone away since I quit eating sugar. Anybody else have changes like this? BTW I'm not on any BC.

Liz

tarashawn
Wed, Apr-16-03, 12:44
Thank God I have finally found some other women going through the same problem I have been having.

MY story.....
I started doing Atkin's during the week I was supposed to get my period (while still on the pill) and it lasted for a normal time (5 days) and was the typical amount of bleeding too. Then 3 weeks later I started my period again, which was a week early! It started out really light then gradually progressed into a really heavy period where I had to use super tampons where I usually only use regular ones. I bled for 12 days. I wasn't on the pill this time - I decided to go off of them.
Again, 3 weeks later on Sunday I began spotting again....I decided to eat some more carbs this week and by surprise I haven't bled again and this is Wednesday.

My doctor had me go for bloodwork, ultrasound, and to see a specialist. She didn't think that it would be related to diet but now that I have read all of these postings I feel pretty confident that that is what it is.
I have been driving myself crazy thinking that there is something seriously wrong with me and that I wouldn't be able to have kids anymore. I am still going to get all of the testing done just to be sure.
I just don't understand why the doctor's wouldn't speculate and think that a loss of weight would effect your menstrual cycle.

Thanks for sharing your info everyone!

floribunda
Sun, Apr-20-03, 14:22
I'm amazed to find that so many women have bleeding as it has happened to me also.
I am 54 with irregular periods now, but this latest one which had almost stopped when I started Atkins two weeks ago has just gone on & on (sometimes scant, sometimes normal bleeding). I went to my doctor who said that it might mean I will need a hysterectomy if it continues (which makes me mad - I'm determined to have a normal menopause!) and she prescribed me provera (two a day until bleeding stops) - provera contains progesterone which tells the body to end the bleeding cycle. It hasn't happened yet (after four days) & if the reason is estrogen released by the fat-burning then there seems little point in taking it (I suspect it has slowed my weight loss).
Please can we have a medical opinion on this. I'm not worried but would like to know it will end sometime. Also watch out that your iron levels don't get too low as it can make you weak.
regards
Floribunda

floribunda
Sat, Apr-26-03, 14:48
Now I've figured out how to find my way around these forums & threads I can see that all my questions had already been answered. My bleeding has now stopped & fingers crossed, my body has now adjusted to the big change in diet. It is so encouraging to read everyone's posts - thanks!

2brickie
Thu, Sep-11-03, 08:31
floribunda how long till you went back to normal?

sexee_babe
Wed, Nov-26-03, 16:56
The same thing happened to me on the first month of induction......2 periods in one month.....I think it's a change in diet and metabolism...etc....stress will do that to me also....someone should ask a professional....I never did, I just waited it out....and my TOM was very heavy and painful at the beginning...it has calmed down now....body went through new changes.....every woman is different.

hcomeau
Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:52
Does anyone have problems with TOM?? I am on the pill and get my TOM when I'm supposed to and then again two weeks later while on the pill? I have seen my doctor twice about this and she changed my pill and she didn't seem concerned. I have know just noticed the pattern of this... It's when I am on Atkins and working out that I have problems!

Last May when I started Atkins for the first time I really stepped up my workouts with tons of cardio and a tough toning class twice a week.
I had TOM problems all summer long with heavy workouts.

Then, last October I went off of Atkins and stopped heavy workouts. I just did some cardio and light toning all winter. During this time I didn't have any problems with my TOM!

Well, I just recently went back on Atkins (3 weeks ago) and last night I did my first heavy toning class again. Well this morning I got my TOM 2 weeks early while I am on my pill.

I sware there has to be a connection here, does anyone else have this problem? I thought it may be Atkins doing this to my body but my doctor didn't think so. She has scheduled me for blood work, ultrasound etc...

widdlemama
Wed, Apr-21-04, 09:46
This jsut happened to me. I have been very strict again with the plan so maybe that has something toi do with it.I do not take the pill nor have I ever. My TOM's in general are heavier since doing Atkins. I have been at this for a couple years. I go off when pregnant or nursing

MeatOfGod
Mon, Apr-26-04, 12:32
I'm so glad I'm not crazy!!!!

I've been on Atkins for almost a year. I had noticed a "change" in my cycle, heaviness and excruciation cramps... I was taking my husbands, back pain meds and vic... and STILL I was in pain. My Dr. did all these tests and couldn't find out why...I chalked it up to a change in my body. I had not made the connection to low-carbing until my boss, whom I got started with Atkins, started to note that her cramps were becoming stronger and more painful. She stopped Atkins after she plateaued and then realized the cramps were gone and her cycle was on track. I then started to eat more carbs until my next period, which came and went without any discomfort. I'm going to read the LADIES PLEASE READ link and find out more. I feel great when I'm on Atkins, and hope there is an ansswer there that will help me.

:)

Itty
Fri, May-07-04, 08:41
Hi

How about this one...

My period has stopped on day two! (Usually my heaviest day)

What's up with that? Has that happened to anyone else who has down-to-the-minute regular periods.

M

Mitsy K
Fri, May-07-04, 17:17
Since I haven't formally started Adkin's yet, but just low-carb in general, I haven't noticed any change, but I have been having missed periods, and they're down to 2-3 days from the usual regular 5 days.

Now, at 47 and having endured some years of awfully heavy stress, I'm chalking it up to periomenopause.

The brown discharge is something I have been having for years and no gynecologist or physician has seemed to be concerned. Sometimes it comes midcycle with alot of mucus (eww, icky) or is the composition of the actual TOM. I mostly ignore it now.

I am glad that I've read this thread though, because I will be prepared for more craziness if I go ahead with Atkin's.

Just the low-carbing I have been doing for a couple of weeks hasn't lost me much weight, but I can tell I am not retaining nearly as much water and today is the first day I haven't had to take pain meds for headache in weeks!!!! :D I actually feel pretty good today.

nepeta
Sat, Jun-12-04, 17:05
nice to find this thread. i too have started bleeding (spotting) a week earlier than i usually do & cramping is pretty bad. after reading all this i'm not going to worry about it & hope my cycles soon become more regular. is anyone else getting tired and feeling worn down during these bleeding, spotting times?

by the way i'm not on the pill.

gwynne2
Tue, Nov-09-10, 19:10
Bumping an ancient thread because I've been having this happen the last two cycles. Not on the pill. My cycles normalized from 32+ days to a more predictable 28, especially when I'm eating very clean, and I've definitely been in weight-loss mode for a few months. Now this mid-cycle bleeding has started and is freaking me out a little. Finding this thread (it was my second google hit) was pretty reassuring, so giving it a bump.

Nancy LC
Tue, Nov-09-10, 21:41
This happens to me when my thyroid levels are too low.

gwynne2
Wed, Nov-10-10, 09:14
What's weird is that I went through typical PMS symptoms this time (which other people describe happening upthread): mood, hunger, bloat. In retrospect it's kind of obvious my hormones have been a little whack. I guess it makes sense with a body fat % change.