PDA

View Full Version : Questions by new to Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

janymost
Fri, Jan-26-07, 09:13
Hello,
I just started Atkins 4 days ago. My question is how come eggs are listed on allowable food list but also listed on carb counter with some carbs.

1.Should I be counting egg carbs?

2. If I eat only form the allowed food list, should I not be safe and not count carbs?

3. And lastly, how many carbs are in splenda if I use it by the tea spoon rather that the packet?

Thanks!
Jany

ElleH
Fri, Jan-26-07, 09:34
My take is that if you're following the 3 cups of salad or 2 cups of salad and one cup of veggies rule, you're unlikely to go over your carb count for the day, so you don't have to count the eggs.

Later on, when you start adding in more/different veggies, you can count them if you need to. I still don't count eggs, but I don't eat more than one per day.

Yes, I think if you follow the lists and the restrictions on quantity that may come with any of the foods, you should be safe. I think he designed it that way for those of us who don't want to count on induction.

I believe Splenda granular has about 1g per tsp. I think the package says less than 1g, but I always count 1g. I started using the packets exclusively b/c you get basically 2 tsp (of sweetness) per 1g carb instead of 1 tsp (volume and sweetness) per 1g carb.

Good luck to you! It's OK to keep it simple on induction and not count. I didn't, I just followed the quantities and the lists.

janymost
Fri, Jan-26-07, 09:57
Thanks, Ellen!

Dichroeyes
Fri, Jan-26-07, 10:13
I use the USDA food search for Windows program. I didn't used to count the carbs for eggs, but now I do. A small egg has .29g whereas a jumbo size has .49g. So many products state 0 or <1 carb grams but I found out for a Splenda packet that means .9 carbs. A few of those could add up quick. And 1 packet=1tsp. so there might not be any difference in carb count. (Unless you use the liquid form, from what I've heard??) I guess it's all personal preference and how your body responds to it. Today is the first day I am quitting pop! LOL. (Diet Rite cherry) I'm so addicted to that stuff it's not even funny. I'm losing weight really slow so this is my next step. I know with me I'm a sweet-tooth, so I was drinking 2 cups of tea a day w/3 packets of Splenda so that put me over about 5 1/2 carbs for the day. Plus the Diet Rite, an occasional sugar-free Jell-O. I believe for me maybe I need to cut my Splenda use down considerably. I'm curious to see in 2 weeks time if my weightloss picks up. I hope so, if not I guess Splenda wasn't the culprit!

karrier
Fri, Jan-26-07, 18:27
To count or not to count.... that is the question.

I personally find it to tedious to count carbs on everything. I am loosing and I am satisfied. However, if you have the time by all means do count.
I just stick to the allowed list and build my menu from there.

KvonM
Fri, Jan-26-07, 20:55
1. eggs don't really have any carbs. unless you're eating a dozen a day, don't worry about them.

2. even if you're eating only from the induction foods, yes you still need to count carbs, especially in dairy. they do add up quickly. the only foods that are considered "free" on induction are meats (except some shellfish like oysters) and fats.

3. i think most of us count 1g of carbs per packet for dry bulk splenda... HOWEVER, if you use the liquid, you don't have to count any. the carbs come from filler.

Rosebud
Fri, Jan-26-07, 21:07
Yes, Splenda has 1 carb per packet, which is the equivalent in sweetness to 2 teaspoons of granular. 2 teaspoons of granular Splenda also have 1 gram of carbs, and 1 cup of granular (48 teaspoons ;)) has 24 carbs.

HTH :)

Rosebud:rose:

ElleH
Sat, Jan-27-07, 09:58
To count or not to count.... that is the question.

I personally find it to tedious to count carbs on everything. I am loosing and I am satisfied. However, if you have the time by all means do count.
I just stick to the allowed list and build my menu from there.

This is basically how I do it, too. My whole problem before was an obsession with the counts of everything and I'm happy to say that I'm pretty much over that.