PDA

View Full Version : Few food questions for induction phase...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ryan44221
Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:13
Hi y'all, hope you all had a great temptation free weekend....

I have a few questions that I hope that the experts on the board can handle...I am currently doing a re-induction phase, and I wanted to see if some of the foods I am consuming may be slowing me down here....

1. String Cheese, i noticed on the list of ingredients that Skim milk was included, now im only eating about 2 of these a day, but if they are interfering, then i can cut them out, Also, i read that on induction that we are to eat less than 4oz of cheese a day, is that true?

2. Whole pepperoni slices--On the list of ingredients, i noticed Dextrose, i thought i remember that in Atkins NDR that anything ending in -ose was sugar based, but cannot find that again in the book....

3. Mayo--Again, negligible amount of sugar, but is that bad for induction?

I know that I should know better, seeing how i have lost 68lbs, but just wanna make sure im doing everything cool!

Ryan44221
Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:18
Sour Cream-- Shows some form of starch....is this a no-no for induction?

GerBear
Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:25
Originally posted by Ryan44221
Whole pepperoni slices--On the list of ingredients, i noticed Dextrose, i thought i remember that in Atkins NDR that anything ending in -ose was sugar based, but cannot find that again in the book....

You are right about the "ose" being a sugar
the most common ones are
dextrose, sucrose, maltose, fructose

Also have to be careful about starches - they turn to sugar almost immediately upon contact with saliva in the mouth. Do you remember doing a taste test in school where you would take a piece of bread or potato and chew them for a while - then they would start to taste sweet - the starch has been turned to sugar in your mouth

Good luck
GB