PDA

View Full Version : Boots - official stance on Ketostix

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lastchance
Mon, Jan-28-02, 10:35
Just to clear up a number of points which have been raised on Ketostix, I have now spoken to the office of the Chief Pharmacy Superintendent of Boots at Head Office and have been told that it is official policy not to sell these to anyone not intending to use them for diabetes. This is in the interests of a 'healthy lifestyle'. I didn't feel like arguing but that's the official response. Shame the PR machine for low-carbing/Atkins etc can't do something about that. Doesn't bother me as I get mine at the local chemist round the corner who never comments.

Last Chance

lastchance
Mon, Jan-28-02, 10:48
Oh for goodness sake! They have just called me back saying the person who gave me the information was not quite right. It is NOT a blanket ban on all sales to non-diabetics, but they have advised their pharmacists of the dangers of 'certain diets' and it is up to each individual store to decide if they will sell them to us. It seems to me it is unofficial policy - they don't want to get into trouble with the media at any point for saying 'officially' that they won't.

I still didn't bother argueing - but be my guest if anyone wants to ring them back with evidence etc

0115 9506111. Boots Head Office in Notts.

tamarian
Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:36
Would they be willing to disclose the facts on this? i.e. what medica studies prove that those "certain diets" are dangerous?

There is no research, but the request may successfully show them the errors of their ways :)

Wa'il

lastchance
Tue, Jan-29-02, 03:13
Well, Tamarian, I think it would be worth a shot, but sorry to say I don't have time to do it myself. I hope someone else will take up the gauntlet at this point!

Kind regard

Last Chance