PDA

View Full Version : New to CALP and have some ???s

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

msmarmar23
Sun, Jan-27-02, 11:58
Hi--I am new to the CALP as of last week--and it would take FOREVER to tell my whole background and explain why I cannot weigh myself and find out if I am actually losing anything and whatever.....But...should anyone wnat to know--feel free to ask and I'll explain....
Anyway...my question is....I am hearing different things about snacking---are you or are you not allowed them on CALP? I was under the impression that you were? And does anyone know if the weight comes off faster or if it is any healthier to use proteins lower in fat? And...even thought it doesn't say---is there a limit on how much you eat during the day---I can't fully grasp the fact that you can eat ALL of this fat and actually lose weight.
So....HELP PLEASE!!!!

wawtigress
Mon, Jan-28-02, 05:55
I have been on CAD/CALP for 6 weeks now and read both books thru. You are not allowed snacks unless you are losing to fast. More than 2 lbs a week.Then only one snack. It has to be within the guidelines in the book. If you don't follow the book , you will not have sucess. I do not get hungry between meals and a lot of times don't eat lunch. The eggs and bacon breakfasts keep me going all day. I could never stick to a diet before trying this diet. So far , I've lost 6 1/2 lbs. in 6 weeks. That is the average you should lose per week to be safe. I started on Atkins and lost 10 lbs the first week then nothing after that untill I changed to CAlp.Now I have steadily lost each week with no hunger enjoying foods I like at my reward meal within the guidelines . Hope this helps. In 10 weeks of dieting , I've lost 18 lbs. and feel great. Wawtigress

cogin
Mon, Jan-28-02, 13:12
Hi msmarmar23. Congrats on starting.That's always the most difficult part!!
I don't know if I have an older version of the CALP diet (book is copyrite 1997, published 98) than watigress but mine definatley says have a snack ii you are hungry. Snacks must be from craving reducing food list and include both protien and high fiber veggies.
From my own experience this is not a fast diet but one that is easy to stick to because it allows so much flexability. Low fat protiens-eg tuna, real meats (unprocessed meats) will be better choices the the high fat processed foods, but I'm not sure if this is a fat or a salt thing. A good rule of thumb is 10x body weight in calories. So at 175 a person could have 1750 calorie intake and still loose wt.
The balance of food is the most important. If I want dessert I will have no high carb veggies. I useally try to eat the complex carbs -Vegetables of fruit rather than a sweet dessert High in carbs but not fiber.
I loose about %lbs a month on average after 6 months.
Hope this info is helpful, and this is only my take and what works for me!!!
Have a good one.

wawtigress
Tue, Jan-29-02, 06:33
In the CAd book under the charts to tell you what to do when you lose too much (more than 2 lbs a week then add snacks to slow you down. If you are losing 1/2 to 2 then keep to the complimentay meals for breakfast and lunch.In CAlp under one of the options about meal frequency,it tells you to try to skip breakfast or lunch and have brunch. Never skip reward meal. Also the book talks about eventually getting to regular portions of food and away from exta portions. I'm taking the GTF chromium tablets like they suggested and my appetite has gone , In fact most of the time I forget to eat lunch if I am busy. I try to stick to normal portions at reward meal. Because when we get to maintenance we will have to watch what we eat if we don't want to gain it back.I've always been a big eater so it was difficult for me to cut back but now i have the chance and I'm taking it. This is my point of view for what works for me. I hated to give up the daily snacks but I'm grateful I can now without hunger. You will have to read and reread the book and make your own choices. The book gives you a lot of good info that's why I read both and also the HEALTHY FOR LIFE that the Hellers wrote. Wawtigress

Rain
Mon, Feb-04-02, 21:56
I'm new with this diet and I thank you all for all the posting. I've read the CAD book and done it before with poor results. I'm trying CALP now, and I'm about to receive the book (can't wait!) Until I do get it, I'm following the guidelines that I've been able to read from here. I'm very excited about it!

Thank you Wawtigress for all the info you share. I find it very helpful. For example, I didn't know that one could skip lunch. I wasn't hungry today. I ate lunch because I thought I "had" to...So, that's good to know. Also, I thought maybe I could skip the reward meal, but I read that you said never to do that! So, I'm taking notes here, thanks!

Anything else that you can share to speed up the loss? (I'd love to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week!) :p What else?? Tell me! Tell me! :D

wawtigress
Tue, Feb-05-02, 06:14
I have almost stopped posting anything. Since i went to CAD/CALP, I don't hear from anyone so my daughter and I just respond to each other since she doesn't hear from anyone anymore since she switched. I'm steadily losing 1 1/2 lbs every week . The diet does work. The problem is people will not read the book and learn all the details of the diet and the ends and outs of it. Reading only the pages where the diet is listed won't do. You've got to read the whole book. That was the same with Dr. Atkins.I hope you have great sucess with the diet. I am enjoying life more and eating anything i want but going by what i have read thru out the book. I'm taking the GFT chromium like the book says and doing many other things and your right about missing lunch or breakfast but not the reward meal . It is all in the book but not on the diet listed pages. By the scales this am. and the averaging I do , I'm heading for another loss this week and it is just a couple of days into this week. I'm heading for a total of 20 lbs since 11/20/01 and not a hungry day since I started dieting. Hears to happy dieting and going by the book to have success. Wawtigress

animaldoc
Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:50
Please don't stop posting! Us CAD types have to stick together since we are so outnumbered here and you are a great success story!

Congrats on almost reaching your goal! :D

-animaldoc :wave:

wawtigress
Wed, Feb-06-02, 06:39
hi, I will continue to post . I had numerous requests to keep on posting this morning. I thought i was typing to hear myself click . I'm still losing steadily 1 1/2 lbs a week and should reach my first goal of 180 Sunday. Then my next goal will be 170. My daughter is doing as well also except she started two weeks later than me. check out my journal to keep up with what i eat and i will continue to check CAD/CALP and respond. Wawtigress

JoAnnAtkin
Thu, Feb-14-02, 07:26
Please, Please, Watigress, don't stop posting. I have learned so much from your posts! There are a lot of CALP'ers on this forum. Alot more than I realized. And I know they read your posts daily! You are a great Inspiration to all of us! Just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in and ask you to continue to post!
Jo Ann Struggling in TEXAS :wave:

cdncrafter
Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:10
DON'T STOP POSTING

The rest of us need you. We beginners learn so much from your posts.

Joyce

cdncrafter
Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:11
Oops, sorry Wawtigress, spelled your name wrong.

Rain
Thu, Feb-14-02, 13:27
Ditto! :roll:

wawtigress
Thu, Feb-14-02, 14:37
I got a little discouraged for a while because I felt like i was the only one posting. Each day when I would get back on , I would be the last post so i thought no one was out there. But I found out different and I'm glad so many people are posting now even if is just to say hello. I hope I give good advice . I don't want to sound stern or anything , I want everyone to have the same results that I am having. Wawtigress

JoAnnAtkin
Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:09
.................seems to be quiet a few of us CAD/CALP'ers out here. I am seeing a lot of posts lately. I think it is GREAT! That is how people help each other. Right?

I have had 3 bad days..........had out of town company, but tomorrow is another day and I am getting back strick tomorrow! I do much better when I don't have company. LOL LOL :D

Jo Ann in TEXAS

cdncrafter
Fri, Feb-15-02, 21:03
I had a bad day too. Must be something in the air.

Oh, well, back to basics tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Joyce :wave:

wawtigress
Sat, Feb-16-02, 05:56
but hang in there and start again. I'm down to 179 this morning for the first time in along time. Hope this holds for tomorrow so when I average I'll show a 1 lb loss.But I think it may come just under 1 lb. I feel I'm reaching a plateau and need to switch for a few days to trick my body and then start again. Maybe like not having dessert except sf jello and not have a starchy veggie for a few. All diets I've read says when you reach a plateau You need to do something different to resume weight loss.I've also been working in my yards for the past 2 weeks getting them ready for spring and I may be building muscle . But I still love this way of life and plan to stick to it just get over the hurdle.Wawtigress

cdncrafter
Sat, Feb-16-02, 13:15
Congratulations on the weight loss. I like your ideas for getting off that plateau. Sounds good Wawtigress. Go for it :thup:
Joyce

sallyd
Sat, Feb-16-02, 15:13
what is CALP?
I am on the Atkins diet but not having much sucess losing weight.
Keep posting because I like reading how everyone is doing.
sallyd

wawtigress
Sun, Feb-17-02, 05:26
I did better than I thought when I averaged this am. I am down to 179 officially this am. The scales broke to 178 and with the averaging ,I'm at 179 now so I changed my profile. I'm still going to do atkins for the week to help my daughter along. She needs a boost and if I do it with her , she'll stick to it better.Then back to my CAd/Calp.Thanks for all the encouragement. Wawtigress

JoAnnAtkin
Sun, Feb-17-02, 07:12
:thup: Glad you averaged out to the 179! I am with you.............I think I will kick this thing back in with the Atkins for a week or two........and in the mean while be reading the CALP book daily to understand it better.

After the 2 weeks, I will go back to CALP. I know I cannot live with Atkins for life, but I can do it for a week or two at a time.

Razzle, suggested for me to do the Atkins for 5 days and do the CALP for the weekend. :q: Do you think that might work? :q: Or do you think it will confuse my body too much and I won't lose anything? I thought it sounded like a good idea............but I don't know the science of how it might work?

JoAnnAtkin in TEXAS :wave:

lowco
Sun, Feb-17-02, 12:43
Thats an excellent idea......you will not gain weight....losing it's up to you and your body. I do atkins every other day and i have maintained my weight well..
carbs are a big problem for me but i can't live without them forever.....so i have rm everyother day..i can't eat just 1 slice or 1/2 cup so rm everyother day will balance the days i over do it.

Although i rarely overdo it now a days.

i calp some times but cad most of the time when i am not doing atkins. I love my atkins days because it keeps me on track and insulin low and that how i want it.

i need to lose 20 more pounds. i have been lcing a long time. I have no idea if i am really on a plateau. i've read that a plateau that is 3 months old is genuine..... i have not been strict for 3 months at a time since the scale stoped.......i will give it a good try soon...after my trip to st.lucia in april.

JoAnnAtkin
Sun, Feb-17-02, 12:50
:q: What did you mean when you say this.in your last post?.............

i calp some times but cad most of the time when i am not doing atkins. I love my atkins days because it keeps me on track and insulin low and that how i want it.

Lowco....................Is there a big difference between the CAD and the CALP?

JoAnnAtkin
Sun, Feb-17-02, 12:51
:q: What did you mean when you say this............in your last post?.............

Lowco....................Is there a big difference between the CAD and the CALP?

:wave: Jo Ann Confused in TEXAS :confused: :confused:

wawtigress
Sun, Feb-17-02, 14:28
I'm only doing this one week to help my daughter out being on the same diet. Then I plan to go back to CAlp. It is working for me.I think one week on one and one week on the other will not work in the long run. Wawtigress

JoAnnAtkin
Sun, Feb-17-02, 15:50
:q: What is the rule concerning heavy cream on the Atkins or the CALP? I do drink it in my coffee..................and I am wondering if that is my problem? :q:

Jo Ann in TEXAS

wawtigress
Mon, Feb-18-02, 06:15
You ,yourself have stated you aren't following the diet. No diet is going to work until "you" decide to follow it. Heavy cream is not the culprit unless you are using it to excess. Sorry this may seem harsh but someone has to point you in the right direction.I even had a bowl of chili at lunch yesterday with a small pack of crackers and a diet coke. I was away from home and had no choice. I picked out the beans and eat half of it. This morning ,NO HARM done. I maintained my 178 for yesterday and hope to see 177 this week.You cannot follow two or three different diets in one week and expect it to work and fall off the wagon every other day.Hope you take this as a concern for you and not criticism . Wawtigress

lowco
Mon, Feb-18-02, 20:03
joan atkin
calp .....1/3 of each starch, protein and veggie
cad......in the 1st book no guidelines were given. it bassically said eat what you want.

it is the low carb meals that make you lose weight. They also give yourbody a chance to do the right thing with the carbs eaten at rm. I feel beter having rm every other day.

i do one day completely low carb, the next i'll have rm, the 3rd would be lc again.......sorry if i confused you...now reading that paragraph i feel embarassed.

having more lc meals are perfectly fine...

on the ckd diet , body builders carb up on weekends and carb down during the week, to lose more body fat( they carb down with allot of excercise and strict lc.) this diet has help many on atkins diet to break stalls.

i found that lc dieters who focus on food , or what they can eat or not, have a harder problem sticking to plan(what ever plan it may be) than those who are focused on insulin levels and all the scentifics of lcing.

if you have anymore questions feel free to ask....

JoAnnAtkin
Tue, Feb-19-02, 08:23
Thank you so much for explaining the different LC programs! I am doing the Atkins now, trying to get the bulk of my 30 pounds off! Then I may use the CALP to maintain it. :D

Jo Ann in TEXAS :wave:

wawtigress
Tue, Feb-19-02, 15:16
Well , I'm back to CALP. All the old problems arose on Atkins and 2 days was all I could stand. I have maintained 178 for 3 days so I guess that weight is set . now on to 177. My advice to anyone is to follow the book and you must read the whole book or it will not work for you . There are other things you should be doing and you won't know about it if you don't read. I do 3 of the Options out of the nine listed . hope this helps. Wawtigress

lowco
Tue, Feb-19-02, 18:22
thats great joanatkin !!!! I can't trust myself with carbs, maybe one day i'll be able to handle them every day AND NOT SLIP!!!!

In the begining i was concerned with grams of carbs, then came cad/calp, then talk of the glycemic index, processed & naural carbs, carbs a too complecated!!!! :roll: