PDA

View Full Version : i am so frustrated.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

silence
Thu, Jan-24-02, 16:33
my work place brings in breakfast every morning, and guess what they are?

muffins, cinnemon buns, bagels, low fat yogurt, low fat cream cheese!

and my office is just outside of the "food" room!

arrrgh!

i would resist, and resist, i can do it when there is no food around, but eventually i'd cave in, and i'd go nuts.

and once a month we'd have a big birthday celebration and there would be all kinds of cakes!!!

suggestions, and moral support would be SO helpful.

ps. and what do u know? everyone here is in bad shape, they even have a "40 pound" rule. that once you enter the company you will for sure gain 40 pounds!

i wanna cry..... i just went on a one week sugar craze. one i start i cant stop!

jo_
Thu, Jan-24-02, 16:54
Unless you really love Sommersize I'd first move to Atkins to gain the benefit of ketogenic appetite supression. Then I'd fight food with food.

Take a BUNCH of allowed food to the office and everytime you think you just can't bear not having a snack eat some meat and drink a BIG glass of water with a twist of lemon in it so it seems like more than merely water :)

Really I think the key is the appetite supression. I pack my husband's lunch for him daily. He LOVES Pepperidge Farms Cookies, all the most decadent. He loves Oat and Honey Granola Bars. He loves instant Oatmeal with Maple Sugar. So I have this stuff right in my kitchen all day, I stay home. Further I HANDLE the cookies each morning to package in ziploc bags. THANK GOD for ketogenic appetite supression or all that food would be HISTORY.

I hope you find what works for you :)
Jo

silence
Thu, Jan-24-02, 16:58
i have read atkins.

but for some reason, i am tired and dizzy all the time, and i start to crave sugar for some energy boost. and i have been on the low carb diet for 7 months now, and i am not getting much more energy

jo_
Thu, Jan-24-02, 17:30
silence, what supplements do you take?? If you go down to the bootcamp area and start a journal folks will look it over and help with suggestions.

The tired and dizzy could be related to a loss of potassium. Further on a lc diet you need more calcium and magnesium as well.
Jo
PS have you done atkins or read it?? Further if you continue eating carbs like sommersize allows you may never get over the sugar cravings because of insulin spikes if you tend to be sensitive to carbs.

silence
Thu, Jan-24-02, 17:38
(in case you are unfimiliar with the term, isontonic is a powdered form of suppliments, and your stomache dont have to digest it, it is directly absorbed)

i take multi minerals, calcium + magnesium, and many many suppliments.

i am doing atkins right now. i have read his book.
but i dont know about ketosis, i am not ever sure i am in ketosis or not.

the only carbs i eat are salads+caesar dressing.
the veges i eat include broccli, colliflower, cucomber, but mostly just celery romain and iceber.

but thank you for your input, i'll try to take more potassium.

and one more thing is that my period has ceased for 3 months. i dont think that i a good thing.

jo_
Thu, Jan-24-02, 18:24
Silence if your periods have stopped it would be a good idea to go see your doctor. Get a work up and let us know how it goes.
Jo

Kellys
Thu, Jan-24-02, 18:34
Definitely go to the doc. I have had 8 surgeries for female problems and I highly recommend seeing the doc at any sign of a change. It could be related to the change in diet, but it could be something else and there is only one way to find out.

Make sure to update us...want to make sure you are healthy!

Best wishes for you....
Kelly

silence
Thu, Jan-24-02, 18:38
i will ! thank you so much gals~~

razzle
Fri, Jan-25-02, 05:59
silence, that office-food situation is really difficult! You have a whole bundle of my sympathies.

Bringing legal food is a great idea. Never skip meals or eat light lunches, either, so that you're still hungry.

What I did at work--and this may or may not work for you--was announce early on (staring longingly at a box of donuts), "I've quit eating white flour and sugar." Then I had that public oath--I was gonna feel pretty stupid if I took food after that.

Some people get a lot of benefits out of mumbling some "anti sugar charm" every time they walk past the goodies table--"this is poison." "just like cocaine." "diabetes isn't far ahead for me" (Sounds like you--like myself!--are definitely a sugar addict, and it may as well be cocaine for us, eh?)

If you can stay away from the goodies table, that might also help. Perhaps you could ask that it be moved to a room where you don't need to go for legitimate work purposes. If you have to walk by it, avert your eyes--the visual creates a series of thoughts/chemical responses that lead to eating, so if you can break that old, typical string of thoughts and feelings and cues and behaviors, you may have a chance at resisting.

The good news is, once resistance is in place, it becomes habit. I haven't touched a thing at work since November, 2000.

And if it makes you feel any better, I've met an LCer who works at a Krispy Kremes. We think WE have it bad? lol

silence
Fri, Jan-25-02, 10:57
thank YOU!

because all i did before was look at the food and say, no, i can have it, even though it looks and smells so good.

that does not help with the cravings.... AHAHHA

now i say, it is poison, i dont need poison. and wa la i walk away!

wow! ur friend there must be very VERY strong willed....
best wishes to her. and ask her to come to this message board if she ever needs help. you people her are so nice and helpful!

LCer in NW
Tue, Jan-29-02, 10:01
one explanation, though brief, is found in link

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/apr_96/protein.htm

The doctor there explains that a shortage of protein due to physical exertion sometimes causes ceasation of period.

On treats, I definitely have been helped by packing along some nuts or other permitted food.

silence
Tue, Jan-29-02, 11:04
i do eat lots of protein, meat is my main diet!

Karen
Tue, Jan-29-02, 11:17
Silence, menstruation will stop if you are not eating enough calories. Your body is trying to conserve energy in a calorically restricted state. You may be dizzy and weak because thyroid hormone production decreases if you are not eating enough calories. Your basal metabolic rate goes down as your body attempts to increase its energy effeciency. Depressed thyroid production and lack of menstruation often go hand in hand.

In plain terms, you are starvingyourself and your body doing what it can to survive. You will also not lose weight if you are doing this.

You have to eat until satisfied. You should never walk around hungry and think it's good. You should be putting lots of dressing on your salads and butter on your vegetables.

Low carbing is a way of creating great health and wellness. You don't need it starve yourself.

A desire to change yourself can only come from you. We can't make you change, we can only give you advice.

Please revisit another thread you started and take our advice to heart.

It's right here. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31615&highlight=i+am+a+sloth)

Karen

jo_
Tue, Jan-29-02, 11:40
Karen;
I agree one big reason for the menstrual cycle stopping is not consuming enough calories. However there are other potentially more sinister reasons, pituitary and other adrenal tumors et al.

That being said I think once silence identified weight gain associated with amenorrhea she should go to a doctor for a clean bill of health prior to proceeding further on any diet.
just my opinion,
Jo

Karen
Tue, Jan-29-02, 13:37
I absolutely agree jo! It is potentially and extremely dangerous situation.

karen

Marlaine
Tue, Jan-29-02, 19:33
Pregnancy usually stops menstration too. And causes weight gain.
Whatever is going on, a doctor needs to be consulted to be sure it's something benign.

Marlaine

silence
Tue, Jan-29-02, 19:49
here is the update. i went to see the doctor today, he is gonna give me a complete checkup in two weeks.

what do you guys suggest i check up on? and what kind of blood test should i request?

oh and.... i don think i am pregnant.... i cant be.... unless i am the next virgin mary! ahahaha :D

anita
Fri, Feb-01-02, 16:44
Originally posted by silence
here is the update. i went to see the doctor today, he is gonna give me a complete checkup in two weeks.

what do you guys suggest i check up on? and what kind of blood test should i request?

oh and.... i don think i am pregnant.... i cant be.... unless i am the next virgin mary! ahahaha :D

Silence -- once you are forthright with your physician about all your symptoms and concerns -- let he/she decide which tests are appropriate. That is what they are trained to do.
Best of luck to you!