PDA

View Full Version : My weakness!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

animaldoc
Thu, Jan-24-02, 13:24
Does anyone else have this problem? When I am sick, I find it nearly impossible to stay with this WOL. I got bronchitis over the weekend and Monday and Tuesday I didn't want anything but soup! I haven't found any yummy low-carb soups, so it was Chicken and Wild rice etc for me. I felt much better yesterday and got right back to the "right" WOE. Oh well, feeling better now, but with this Michigan weather it could be a long winter!

-animaldoc :wave:

razzle
Thu, Jan-24-02, 15:58
animaldoc, I hope you don't suffer any more colds this winter. Glad you're on the mend!

I think we all have problems at one time or another staying with the WOE--and physical or emotional stress certainly doesn't make it easier. Feeling miserable makes us crave the boost we might get from carbs and their serotonin and/or endorphin effects, I suspect.

While you feel good, hunt down some low-carb soups now. A health food store will be your best bet for sugar- and flour-free sorts. Check the labels for carbs, and buy a variety. Then, if you do get sick again, you'll have them in the cupboard ready to go

Herald
Fri, Jan-25-02, 04:41
Beef or chicken consomme (with a thingy over the e) are almost carb free. Kind of "clear" soup.

If you can find carb free soup and it's a bit watery for you, stir a raw egg into it gently as it simmers, you get lots of yummy eggy bits through the soup which bulks it out :)

Herald

animaldoc
Mon, Jan-28-02, 08:58
Thanks for the tips! It was 50 degrees and sunny this weekend, so I didn't even want soup, but I'll stock up for next time!

-animaldoc :wave:

aztovaalex
Tue, Jan-29-02, 21:58
I've altered a recipe for cream of green chili soup to make it more "Mexican". I bet you could use the trick (cream cheese) to make your own low-carb soup.

This is it and my hubby loves it! (Big GRIN)

15 oz chicken broth
4 oz cream cheese
4 oz chopped green chilis (I use frozen, hauled from Arizona :) )
2 cooked chicken breasts in bite sized pieces
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Blend the cream cheese and chicken broth. Add the other ingredients and heat in a pan.

If you have a plugged nose, use hot chilis!