PDA

View Full Version : Day 1

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Atriana
Wed, Jan-23-02, 19:39
Without much fanfare, I smoked my last cigarette last night before I went to bed. Last month, I planned and plotted, picked a day, and was a total failure. This month I decided that whenever I finished my last pack out of the last carton, that would be that. I was intending to do cold turkey, but on the drive to school this morning, I decided to give the patch another try. This is probably better not only for me but for the people around me, LOL. Stopped at the drug store, got some patches, went to school, and then spent the rest of the day with two smokers. There were definately moments of intensity, but I and my resolve survived.
Onward to day 2!

tamarian
Wed, Jan-23-02, 19:47
Good luck Atriana,

I guess at this particular moment, I know exactly how hard it is :)

Be strong,

Wa'il

agonycat
Wed, Jan-23-02, 20:40
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

WTG Atriana! Congrats on taking your first step. I too know how hard that first step is. Been there done that and now I have been smokeless since 1999 :)

You can do it!

Atriana
Thu, Jan-24-02, 21:31
Another successful day! Several intense cravings, but they are right when they say that that a craving will pass whether you smoke or not.
The worst part right now is my very cranky mood. I should probably wear a warning sign on my shirt so people know enough to stay away from me.
Onwards to day 3.

Atriana
Sat, Jan-26-02, 00:18
Another day as a non smoker. I wish I could say it is getting easier - but at least it isn't getting any harder. Been surrounded by smokers all day, went to a party full of smokers tonight.
Onwards to day 4.

tamarian
Sat, Jan-26-02, 00:31
I'm impressed Atriana, that's wonderful. My prediction (and I've never reached that point yet :) ) is that after 4 days, the cravings should subside, just like carb cravings.

Wa'il

Atriana
Sat, Jan-26-02, 15:53
Originally posted by tamarian
My prediction (and I've never reached that point yet :) ) is that after 4 days, the cravings should subside, just like carb cravings.

Wa'il

Today is Day 4 and although I wouldn't say they have subsided, the cravings are definately more manageable. Days 1 & 2 I used the patch, Day 3 I had about 5 pieces of nicotine gum (no patch) and so far today, I have had only one piece of the gum and it is almost 5pm. So yes, the cravings are lessening some.
I went kayaking this morning for about 3 hours, that helped a lot. Between the water and the busy hands and the exercise, that was three whole hours that I didn't even think about smoking. Egrets and cranes and alligators and herons. The only down side was the sunburn that I got.

donnaj
Sun, Jan-27-02, 15:40
Hello everyone,
This is my first day without a cig. So far, I have done pretty good but I have taken three naps so far today. I need all your support and prayer .

Atriana
Sun, Jan-27-02, 19:13
Day 5 is rapidly coming to a close. Another day surrounded by smokers but for the most part it is getting easier. The hard parts are still while on the phone, after eating, while drinking coffee and when driving.
Donna, congratulations on quitting!

Atriana
Mon, Jan-28-02, 20:18
Day 6 just about done. Today I wasn't around smokers at all - and I was thinking about smoking all day. Go figure. Maybe it was because I spent most of the day at home. This was the first day that I wasn't busy, busy, busy. Tomorrow will be the one week mark, I can hardly believe it.

tamarian
Mon, Jan-28-02, 20:40
That's wonderful Atriana, congrats on your success! :thup:

Wa'il

Atriana
Wed, Jan-30-02, 06:33
Day 7 was a bear! I can't imagine why, but it was like constant craving again. I woke up that day wanting to smoke and went to sleep the same way.
At least this morning, Day 8, it wasn't the absolute first thing on my mind, LOL. Well, off to school I go.

sylvie p
Wed, Jan-30-02, 10:06
I don't know if this will help you but let me share my experience. My first day being smoke-free started on Feb 1/96 (so I'm approaching my 6th anniversary). It was my New Year's resolution that year but realistically who can quit on Jan 1? You've already had 5 cigarettes by 1am while you're partying on New Year's Eve. So I gave myself the month of January to psych myself out. I also read the book, "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham during that time which is about suing the tobacco industry. That book helped me to understand a few things, you should visit your library and see if you can get a copy - it might help you too.

When I began my smoke-free life I would challenge myself at each craving and say, "Who's going to win Sylvie, you or the cigarette? Who's stronger Sylvie, you or the cigarette?" Some challenges were more nerve-wrecking than others but I took it one craving at a time. Before I knew it days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. At that point when I had a sporadic craving I would say, "Are you going to blow x-number of months on a stupid cigarette?" Then months turned into years. I've never looked back.

What else can I say, this has worked for me.

Sylvie P

Atriana
Wed, Jan-30-02, 10:17
Thanks Sylvie! I can use all the help I can get. :) The weight gain thing is really bumming me out right now. I am up 4 pounds in the last 8 days - and I haven't increased my carbs. Admittedly, I am eating more - but my carb count has remained under 30 per day. I guess I will have to add more exercise - but of course time is also a factor.

Atriana
Thu, Jan-31-02, 09:03
OK - I was bad - not too bad but bad enough. Last night at about 1am I had 2 cigarettes. Back to back. Bad day, worse evening.
Things I've learned:

1) Cigarettes don't make me sick even after over a week of not smoking.
2) One cigarette is both too many and not enough.
3) My bad day/worse evening didn't improve by smoking.

This morning when I woke up my throat and chest felt weird. I guess my body must be trying to repair itself and those 2 cigarettes didn't help that along any. I got up and put on a patch for people who smoke less than 10 cigarettes a day. Now, I had only used the patch for 2 days, then just used a piece or two of nicotine gum for the other 6 days. Today I feel I need a little extra help. Tomorrow I will probably use the smallest patch available and then go back to no patch at all.

I am not going to reset my mental time of this being Day 9. I hope you all don't think that is cheating. My rationalization is that the first 2 cigarettes I ever smoked didn't make me a smoker - and neither did these last 2. Hopefully I will retain the things those last 2 cigarettes have taught me and I will be able to draw on that the next time I have a really bad day.

Atriana
Fri, Feb-01-02, 07:46
Yesterday was good - I was around smokers and didn't give in. :) It seems like the cravings are coming less often now - but they are still quite intense.
I signed up for dive certification classes yesterday - if there is one place you absolutely, positively can't smoke or be around smokers it would have to be underwater!

tamarian
Fri, Feb-01-02, 13:54
Way to go Atriana! And I'm sure you'll love diving. But don't bet on divers not smoking, you may be surprised. I know a diver who smokes in between dives. ;)

Wa'il

Atriana
Sat, Feb-02-02, 08:02
Yesterday was good. Only used 2 pieces of nicotine gum all day. Starting to feel more hopeful that this will be my final quit. :)

Atriana
Sun, Feb-03-02, 18:19
Not much new to report. Still surprised by the intensity of the cravings, although they are not as frequent.

Atriana
Tue, Feb-05-02, 09:15
Well, it will be a full 2 weeks tonight. This morning I actually woke up wanting to smoke - when will this get better?! Rather than suffer all day, I put one of those tiny 7mg patches (Step 3) on. It seems to help, I don't know if it is psychological or what. It ionly deliveres about the amount of nicotine in 2 cigarettes spread over 24 hours, so I would tend to think it is more psychological than physiological. Anyway, I am off to school.

Atriana
Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:56
Been super hungry today. Thinking about going back to induction levels for a week or so - I have got to get this hunger turned off. Cravings are still bad - I don't want to smoke but I don't want to spend the rest of my life miserable either. Suggestions? Inspiration? Anyone?

Atriana
Thu, Feb-07-02, 22:20
Gee, am I the only struggling quitter in the Kick Nicotine Club?
Where is everyone?

misselly
Fri, Feb-08-02, 06:21
Best choice of your life... The pound gain is nothing compared to the gain in health and cash!!!!!! You will smell good, feel good, feel sexier, love yourself more, run further, breath better, taste better food . AN OVERALL FEELING OF GREATNESS!!!! Keep it up and suck on a straw....I smoked for 25 years, loved it and today 4 years later, I can't be anywhere close to a smoker....just the smell makes me ill. That will be you soon.

Atriana
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:26
Thanks MissElly!
Do you remember how long it took before the Nicodemon didn't try to haunt you day and night? I just would like to feel more like myself!

misselly
Fri, Feb-08-02, 15:29
A few months ago i walked all over the house and when the kids asked what I was looking for I looked at them and said....."i don't know.....my smokes, but I don't smoke" So does it ever leave us.....yes....but treat yourself, i went out and bot a new fishing rod with my extra doe!!!!!!! Have a fun weedless weekend....

misselly
Fri, Feb-08-02, 15:35
i just noticed you are at day 16....THAT IS WONDERFUL

YOU ARE WEEDLESS WINNER KID....

You're there......and you will be bragging to us on Monday....DO NOT TOUCH A SMOKE.... A little puff is NOT what your body wants.... That craving is the lung cancer devil trying to convice you that you want him to be at your pink lung party...HE IS NOT :lol: INVITED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :devil:

Atriana
Sat, Feb-09-02, 09:04
Thanks Misselly! I like that phrase, "Weedless Winner", I think that will be my mantra for a couple of days at least.
Tomorrow should be a lot easier - I am doing volunteer stuff at an Indoor Rowing event. Florida Institute of Technology's huge gym, filled with high school and college crew teams. Young, healthy, non smoking people everywhere.
I noticed the other day that most of my friends smoke. Do you think that smokers automatically align themselves with other smokers, or is it something in the personality that makes us smoke and it is the personality thing we align with?
Inquiring minds want to know, LOL.

misselly
Sat, Feb-09-02, 12:57
i hate to say this darling... the only people that can stand standing around smokers is other smokers.... i wouldn't say that to you if you were a smoker, but i can now because you are a
WEEDLESS WINNER

Keep it up, I mean out.....

Elly

Atriana
Sat, Feb-16-02, 17:30
Well, it hasn't been a good day. The smoking ex came by to get their stuff today. Of course they didn't get ALL their stuff - that way we can have all this fun at least one more time. I've been bad - I bummed a couple of cigarettes from them. No, they didn't help a thing. No, I didn't even cough and sputter. It was terrible - it was like I never ever quit. I think somehow I would have felt better if I would have at least thought it was gross, or coughed, something to show at least my body was changing even if my junkie-addicted-mind still seeks comfort there.
All in all it isn't all that bad - my little gadget thing tells me that I havent smoked 960 cigarettes. At least that is something.

culliallen
Fri, Feb-22-02, 08:09
I'm at about day 15....but smoked about 4 ciggarettes over the weekend. My husband smokes and I'm trying to make a lot of changes....but quitting ciggarettes is central. They suck! They stink, they hurt you (bottom line)...and if you really, really want to hurt yourself, there are more fun ways.

I think - for me - it has something to do with depression/discouragement....which are both killers.

Make sure you do something fun (at least try) every day....if not fun, at least peaceful and quiet and without stress.

It's not easy, but keep trying.

k.

Atriana
Fri, Feb-22-02, 14:25
Still hanging in there, still the every now and again cigarette. It would be nice if they would suddenly get disgusting.
Culliallen - I totally understand what you are going through with the husband who smokes. My ex is a smoker and I tried to quit several times during that relationship. Stay strong.

tamarian
Fri, Feb-22-02, 14:38
Hi Atriana,

Every now and then is still better. Every time I quit quitting :) I seem to come back with a vengence and smoke more!

Wa'il

Atriana
Sat, Feb-23-02, 08:58
Originally posted by tamarian
Hi Atriana,

Every now and then is still better. Every time I quit quitting :) I seem to come back with a vengence and smoke more!

Wa'il

I know how that goes - I would usually smoke more whenever I even THOUGHT about quitting. Whenever I "quit quitting", as you so aptly put it, I absolutely detested my cigarettes, the very act of smoking, and myself. For some reason, that only seemed to strengthen the love affair. Go figure. Are you still in the cutting down phase?

kakeef
Sat, Feb-23-02, 09:35
Atriana,
My heart aches for you. It's been five years since I quit smoking and believe this or not every now and then I still get a craving.Thankfully it passes quickly! It is a very powerful thing that you are addicted to. It took me three trys to quit. The first time I used hypnosis which absolutely did nothing. The second time I used the patch and found it harder to stop because I had more cravings. The last try(the one that worked), I went cold turkey. It took 21 days till I can truthfully say I woke up and said I don't need or want to smoke today. Like I said there are still those days but if you take a few deep breaths and say a prayer it will pass. Try again, and again till it works. We are all pulling for you.

Atriana
Sun, Feb-24-02, 06:46
Thanks Katie. This morning I slapped on a patch as I woke up wanting to smoke! I don't really understand it all, I am not a particularly weak willed person. Many years ago I kicked a rather serious drug problem - hell for a while but it eventually became a non issue. This is so different, I don't know if it is because it is more socially acceptable, readily available or if it is just more addictive.
I still weigh 7-10 pounds more than usual and I am still not totally over the nicotine thing - it is scary. One thing that keeps preying on my mind is I am going on a cruise in 4 weeks (with a friend that is also a smoker). I started buying clothes for this trip about a month and a half ago - now they barely fit. I have got to get both the weight back to normal and the nicotine thing under control in the next 4 weeks.

misselly
Sun, Feb-24-02, 19:28
Don't give up now honey.... your friend will stink and you will smell good..... get a grip on the food thing and you will look great for your trip and smell wonderful..... we are cheering for ya!!!!!!!

Atriana
Sun, Feb-24-02, 20:14
Thanks misselly!
I guess the patch today helped a lot. Plus, I went to my drumming circle so my hands were busy a lot of the time - although there were women there who were smokers. So, a totally smoke free day! :D

misselly
Mon, Feb-25-02, 05:56
Wowwww....You are doing great......How about those Canadian Hockey BOYS!!!!!!!!! Talk about success!!!! You and them are WINNERS>>>>>>>>>

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

mustangman
Mon, Feb-25-02, 20:28
first i wanna say congrats, let me say that i have been smoking cigs for 7 years and im 25 years old i have also been smoking weed and doing pills for years and it wasnt until 3 weeks ago on wed. that i stopped everything after i almost died because of a accidental overdose, i have since then seen the light no joke and thankful to be alive i have never felt greater in my life but about the cigs it gets easier trust me the first week is soooooooo hard the second a lil better and now its almost a habit that i dont smoke soooo hang in there eventually you wont even think about em

misselly
Mon, Feb-25-02, 21:45
congrats to you....

Atriana
Mon, Feb-25-02, 21:50
Mustangman - in only 3 weeks you were able to quit EVERYTHING??? What is your secret? In this (and in previous) quits, I have always found the 3rd week to be almost as bad as the 3rd day.
Misselly - so you are a hocky fan - I didn't see the game but I heard it was great.
Another patch today. Didn't smoke any cigarettes - even though I had to see the ex for an hour or so.

Atriana
Thu, Feb-28-02, 20:31
Still wearing a patch, still doing OK. Didn't smoke today, but didn't spend any long periods of time around any smokers. The cruise is 24 days away - and I am still 7-10 pounds heavier than usual. :(

misselly
Fri, Mar-01-02, 06:09
atriana....join us to get rid of that 10 pounds.... my holdiay to florida and nassau is april 11th.... I will be down... we are doing a blitz and its working.... i am down 5.5 pounds in less than 2 weeks... way to go on the no smoking...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=34614&goto=newpost

Atriana
Sat, Mar-02-02, 15:30
OK day so far, actually forgot to put on a patch this morning, the old one fell off in the hot tub sometime last night. I really started noticing it about 4 in the afternoon. But, I think what helped is that my lunch guests today were a couple in their 70's - he is down to about 30% lung functon.
Last night was more difficult, 2 of the 4 guests are smokers, and one even smokes my brand. I didn't smoke, but it was difficult.
So, misselly - how long are you going to be in florida? What cities are you going to visit?

misselly
Sat, Mar-02-02, 16:37
Going to be in Panama City for a week, then driving to Orlando and flying to Nassau from there for a week.....

YIPEEE!!!!!!!!

Being from the north.... its exciting to go south...

Atriana
Sat, Mar-02-02, 17:54
Are you just going to be in Orlando for the day?

misselly
Sat, Mar-02-02, 19:46
just going there to fly to Nassau---- Hate mickey mouse..... not desire to stay there for anything. sorry to offend the mouse's fans!!!!

lilbert45
Mon, Mar-18-02, 20:05
Hey Atriana!

I know some will say that you cheated....but I don't think that you have! It is wonderful that you have gotten this far!

Sometimes we do things even when we know they aren't right....and sometimes we do things because we know they aren't right! When something is forbiddin it makes it all that more appealing. So if you know in your head that you can have a cigarette if you really want, just keep in mind that you don't NEED it anymore!

I think it is awesome that you kept on going even after caving that once. It's not hopeless! RIGHT?

You're doing great!

-Casey

gwilson38
Thu, Mar-21-02, 08:58
How are U doing being a non-smoker? Today is day 1 for me and I know will likely be the easiest day I have for the next couple weeks. I started on the patch but not impressed cause while U use it, U cant exercise. Im gonna take it off and exercise because I will need to keep active to keep my weight down and just to help my sanity..lol How much did U gain? Did U exercise much? Do U think U increased your food? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.,