PDA

View Full Version : Someone posted a really easy icecream recipe recently....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Reymi_VZ
Tue, Jan-22-02, 01:16
... but now I can't find it.

They said they tried this recipe, and they were suprised it worked so well. Does this ring a bell with any of you?

Alternatively, does anyone have a nice easy icecream recipe that doesn't ask for goofy american products? (no offense to americans, but WTF is chocolate diet soda???)

Thanks and cheers.

Karen
Tue, Jan-22-02, 19:30
Doreen posted recipes for ice cream and sherbert a while ago in the sweet treat part of the Kitchen forum and in readers recipes there is a recipe for ice cream that you shake in a bag.

WTF is an aubergine? ;)

Karen

LucyCL
Wed, Jan-23-02, 06:17
Karen- are you serious???:) an aubergine is an eggplant!

Lucy

Rosebud
Thu, Jan-24-02, 17:35
Wrong country, Karen!
We have eggplant and zucchini here, it's those funny fellas in the UK that have aubergine and courgettes.

Mmmm, chocolate soda, drool... :doah:
Dunno WTF it is but if it has the "C" word in it, it must be yummy!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

LucyCL
Thu, Jan-24-02, 17:50
Karen - I hope I didn't offend you by my previous comment. I was just surprised you didn't know what aubergine was.

Rosebud is quite right, it is us "funny fellas in the UK" that have stange names for veg. Good job I live in Oz now :daze:
Lucy

Rosebud
Thu, Jan-24-02, 19:47
Hi Lucy, how are things going with you?
BTW, I'm pretty sure Karen was just kidding about the aubergine.

Reymi, hi, how's it going. You don't mind Lucy and I appropriating your thread for a minute, do you?
Did you find a good icecream recipe? I'll be happy with a basic vanilla one.
Cheers (to all of you)

Karen
Thu, Jan-24-02, 20:04
Karen- are you serious??? an aubergine is an eggplant!
No! I'm just being cheeky!

I once translated a cookbook from Australianese to NA English for the NA market and it was full of aubergines, courgettes, caster sugar and Lebanese cucumbers. Go figure! ;)

Karen

Rosebud
Thu, Jan-24-02, 21:11
Don't you have caster sugar?
I remember when I stayed with my sister in Holland, it was called "basterd" suiker. :D
And don't you knock our Lebanese cukes, they're the ones that don't make you f*rt!
(If my mother were still with us, she'd be horrified to read this post! You don't need to use that sort of language, dear.)

sammiejam
Fri, Jan-25-02, 02:09
i think that it was me that posted the ice cream recipe

it was Tiramisu Ice cream

1 tub marscapone
1 carton of cream
1 egg
splenda to taste
marsarla to taste (you could use vanilla or other flavorings but the alcohol stops it from getting to hard)
beat it all up and freeze, before it is totally frozen beat it and then freeze again.

it is very yummy, give it a try!!

sammie

Reymi_VZ
Fri, Jan-25-02, 21:30
It turned out so yummy but if you threw it at someone you could kill them - talk about freezing rock solid.

I will give the tiramisu one a go.

TY.

sammiejam
Fri, Jan-25-02, 21:40
hehehehehe

yep the marsarla stops it from doing that

i also put a couple of dolops of balackberry nip (by accident it was in the same sort of bottle as the marsarla) you could try alittle baileys or someother type of alchyhol, just a little though....

Cali
Tue, Jan-29-02, 20:29
I am a lover of aubergines and frequently buy them. I have been asked at least 10 times what they are and WTF you do with them by other shoppers in the queue and by check out chicks (the teenageboys pay more attention to the food than to an over 30 woman).
So it's not only our transatlantic cousins who may not know an eggplant froma Chinese goosberry.
The same goes for fresh artichokes.
cali

susanrnz
Sat, Feb-09-02, 20:52
So that I don't sound an idiot at the supermarket, what on earth is marsapone? (and where do I buy/look for it?)
likewise, to idiot-proof me at the liquor store, what is marsarla?

I'm new to web language, but managed to work out WTF (and my mother wouldn't approve either, but my two sons wouldn't bat an eyelid ...)

I've got rock-hard low carb icecream in the freezer too - basically egg whites, eggs, whipped cream and vanilla. Quite palatable, though, if you let it thaw a bit and put low carb syrup on it.

Rosebud
Sat, Feb-09-02, 21:13
Hi Susan, :wave:
Nice to meet you!
Marsala lives in the grog shop, it's a fortified wine, kinda slightly sherryish. It tends to be used a lot in cooking rather than in drinking.
Mascarpone is a type of cream cheese - I think it has actual cream added. It's very rich and yummy, the sort of stuff I wouldn't allow myself to eat for years, but now...
Cheers, mate.

Cali
Sun, Feb-10-02, 05:51
And it lives next door to Philadelphia cream cheese and cottage cheese in the supermarket and even yummier if it's fresh from a deli.
Marsala is the traditional dessert wine of Sicily

Tones
Mon, Feb-18-02, 17:29
To throw the cat amongst the pidgeons.........Asian and Indian dishes call it bringal!!
Remindes me...must work out the likely carb content of mousaka.

Cali
Tue, Feb-19-02, 00:20
And Italians call it melanzane and put big squashy bits ( not those dried out slices) on pizzas with potato and olives and masses of cheese and it's divine. O Oh! I feel a slip coming on here.
I did eat a big bowl of the stuff last week just cooked in in olive oil and smothered in parmesan (the lowest carb cheese) and salt and pepper.
What is it about eggplant?

Karina
Fri, Feb-22-02, 04:23
Hi Susan,

Nice meeting u even if it is through here :) . I am dyinnnggg for some low carb ice-cream and even better if it is vanilla as I don't really like chocolate. Would u b able to share your recipe with me???? I would really appreciate it......also does anybody know of a place in Sydney where I can get low carb food? I have found a low carb soft drink which isn't to bad.....it hardly has any carbs at all......but I am looking for more things that I could buy that are low carb but not having much luck......

So where do I find Marsapone??? Never heard of it and don't want to look like an idiot if someone asks me exactly what it is.....I know it is cheese of some kind but do I find it with all the cheeses are or do I have to go to a deli to get it....???

Thanks so much for your help!!

Karina

:wave:

Karina
Fri, Feb-22-02, 04:25
Originally posted by Karina
Hi Susan,

Nice meeting u even if it is through here :) . I am dyinnnggg for some low carb ice-cream and even better if it is vanilla as I don't really like chocolate. Would u b able to share your recipe with me???? I would really appreciate it......also does anybody know of a place in Sydney where I can get low carb food? I have found a low carb soft drink which isn't to bad.....it hardly has any carbs at all......but I am looking for more things that I could buy that are low carb but not having much luck......

So where do I find Marsapone??? Never heard of it and don't want to look like an idiot if someone asks me exactly what it is.....I know it is cheese of some kind but do I find it with all the cheeses are or do I have to go to a deli to get it....???

Thanks so much for your help!!

Karina

:wave:

Karina
Fri, Feb-22-02, 04:31
Sorry everyone I have posted it twice....silly me...

Please forgive me....

Karina :D

When you know better you do better.....

susanrnz
Fri, Feb-22-02, 12:38
Hi, Karina
Welcome! - I haven't been a member long, but people are really friendly (seems when it comes to low carbing, there's no OZ-NZ rivalry, we're all in this together).
I hope your low carbing is going well for you.
Icecream: see Sammiejam's recipe earlier in this thread (I haven't tried it yet). re mascarpone and marsala: I asked the same, and no one threw up their hands in horror at my ignorance! :( See Rosebud's reply earlier in this thread.
Are you a new low carber? (I'm not sure how to get back to yur posting without losing this one!) If so, go easy on the treats until you get carb withdrawal out of your system (more or less - there will be times ...) It's really worth beign tough for a couple of weeks at the start, or any time after you've fallen off the wagon, or if you have a stall you want to break at some stage.
best wishes

Cali
Fri, Feb-22-02, 17:22
Karina, you asked about these in your posts: apart from finding the lowest carb regular products, like Sanitarium sugar and salt free peanut butter (1 gram per serve) and Chevaps sausages (half a gram per serve, from Coles), you can order some excellent things from the Sydney based website Picture of Health : www.pictureofhealth.com.au
They have very very low carb chocolate bars, muffin mixes (half a gram per muffin - breakfast life saver) and porridge, amongst other things.
What is the low carb soft drink you have found??
Cali

Karina
Sat, Feb-23-02, 21:13
hi Cali,

The soft drink I have found is called Musashi by SLM u can find them at most health food stores and at Coles......I found the Cola flavour to be the nicest and it states that it has less than 0.1g of carbs....which isn't bad....and it tastes quite ok as well.....

Karina :cool:

CherylAust
Sun, Feb-24-02, 07:06
Have you tried Baggy Ice cream, I made it tonight. I didn't have the bags so I used my kids icy drink cup. It is one of those cups that have an insert that you put in the freezer, when you pour a drink in and stir, it goes icy. That sure quelled my craving for icecream. :yum:. And no weird American ingredients either :p .

baggy ice cream (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13158&highlight=baggy+ice+cream)

Cheryl

Karina
Mon, Feb-25-02, 04:24
What sweetner did u use?? and so all u do is stick everything in a bag and shake??? sounds to unreal.... :D

Karina

When u know better u do better :cool:

CherylAust
Tue, Feb-26-02, 17:22
Karina,

I used Splenda, I don't know how much I added, less than the required amount. I mix a little in and taste test, adding until it right for me.

Cheryl