PDA

View Full Version : counting carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sunnie
Mon, Jan-21-02, 17:46
hi all

i could use your help=)....my question is when counting carbs...what happen sif the sugar and fiber grams do not add up to the total carb content....do you use the number of sugar grams alone...or the total minus the fiber...im confused becasue i thought somewhere the atkins website says to look at the sugar and the fiber doesnt count...but what do you do if the rest isnt accounted for?.... help=)

#1_Atkins
Mon, Jan-21-02, 18:05
Hi, the only safe thing you can do is discount the fiber from the TOTAL. The other carbs may be undigestible, but without certainty you should count in your daily totals.

Karen
Mon, Jan-21-02, 19:30
Hi sunnie!

In the Introduction Forum - while you're there you may want to introduce yourself - is a thread in the Newbies Questions called Hot Links! There is a link in this thread called Carb Counts, Fiber Counts and Hidden Carbs that will give you an explanation.

Manufacturers sometimes pre-subtract fiber counts, and this only adds to the confusion because it's not indicated if they have or not. LC gets easier in time, but at first it's like learning a new language!

Karen