PDA

View Full Version : Completed Induction!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DWRolfe
Mon, Jan-21-02, 12:23
Hello Group!

I've just completed Induction and the 2 weeks have flown by. I'm really enjoying this WOE and the support I have found here from this site. I've picked up so much information here, not to mention some truly yummy recipes.

I'm down 7 lbs and I haven't been tempted to stray from plan at all. I spent the day yesterday preparing for the coming week, which really helps me out a great deal.

Stopped at Wendy's yesterday while running around shopping and followed advice I found here. Ordered the triple cheeseburger (no ketchup) ditched the bun and added a small ceasar salad (skipped the dressing due to some sugar) from the .99 menu. A wonderful lunch on the run and I'm able to eat out with friends without guilt!

The other good news is that my doctor called yesterday and my cholesterol had dropped 26 points since I was last checked. I had blood drawn one week into Induction. I take this as a good sign of things to come!

I plan to stay on Induction with only a little extra salad greens for the immediate future. But it feels good to have hit the 2 week mark, and I rejoice in the fact that I'm losing weight and I'm in control again.

I wonder how much more weight I would have gained in those two weeks had I not started this program?? :wave:

Sh'ra
Tue, Jan-22-02, 11:21
DW,
Contragulations! Sounds like you're doing great! I had to chuckle at your first paragraph, though, because you've got that great "tough guy" picture, and said "yummy." I've got an odd sense of humor :D I was thinking, "Now I can just see this guy riding around on a Harley trike, and he's saying yummy - blew the whole image." :daze:

I do think the picture's great, though, and look forward to seeing you often on this forum. It's a great place to be!

Shalom,
Sh'ra

Victoria
Tue, Jan-22-02, 20:59
DW,
It's always good to hear of people's successes. Isn't it great, that we can eat and get healthier AND lose weight. It's like a secret that you want to shout from the housetops. I wish I had realized this earlier, but maybe I had to get to this point to really work hard at it.

Keep going! You will enjoy this forum. Lots of people with similiar issues. And I agree, great ideas for recipes...yummy! :yum: Hope to see you around...I know we can all encourage each other! :wave: Victoria

texas-newf
Wed, Jan-23-02, 10:33
DW, keep up the great work ! I too am a big guy and started this WOL on Dec 4 at 437 lbs... Since then, I've managed to lose 27 lbs to 410. I think we have very similar goals as far as ideal weight. I eventually want to get to 250-260 but my first goal is to get to around 360 by this summer (I hope !)

Just keep it up, drink tons of water, take your potassium supplements and vitamins... and mucho mucho protein !!
Take care & good luck !

Craig :thup:

DWRolfe
Wed, Jan-23-02, 11:57
Thanks Everybody! :D

I really appreciate your kind words of support and encouragement! I'm looking forward to all of us sharing in the success and happiness that this new WOE and frame of mind brings. With so much to lose, it would be easy to get discouraged if not for the support found here.

Spoke with my parents yesterday and my father has lost 15 pounds since Jan. 1st. He's doing it the hard way--tiny portions and low cal. Of course he thinks I should follow his lead, and when I told him I am doing Atkins I could tell he was refraining from telling me how dumb I am. He did say that I'd never be able to keep this up as a way of life. If he saw how well I eat he might feel otherwise. But we all deal with well wishers who want to tell us how to do things their way, I guess.

Anyway, keep up the good work, everyone!

P.S. Craig, I will watch your posts with enthusiasm. I know you can hit that summertime goal! I set my goal at a weight that seems pretty darn impossible at this point, but Atkins suggests goin for it, so that I will do. :roll:

TheGoddess
Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:25
Way to go !!!! Your doing wonderful I know you will succed!!
I LOVE Wendys!! Those hamburgers cant be beat :)

Keep it up! Trina

LC_Dave
Sun, Feb-03-02, 23:11
DW - the man!

Good stuff!

Yeah, thats a good point - how much weight would we have put on?

I know over the last two years I decided to ignore my weight problem, I just kept getting heavier and heavier!

At least we are not getting heavier!

Keep up the good & inspiring work!

LC_Dave :dazzle: :cheer:

P.S. Wendy's in Australia only has Ice Cream and Hot dogs :(

Gator
Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:01
Welcome DW. Hang in there. After 5 weeks of low carbing, my blood pressure has dropped from 160/120 to 125/78, and have dropped nearly 40 pounds from my start point.
Haven't had my cholesteral checked yet, but it was 251 when I started.

There are a lot of benefits to getting off the junk!

ldypgmr
Mon, Feb-04-02, 21:04
So DW, you are a week ahead of me....how is week 3 going?

Dee

Marion13
Tue, Feb-05-02, 03:11
Hi DW :wave:

What a great start you have made. Isn't it great to be able to eat the good stuff and still lose weight. I'm still amazed at how it works, but we are all proof that it does..

Maz

DWRolfe
Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:36
Thanks for the kudos and support!

Dee, I'm up to 16.5 pounds so far and I'm still really enjoying this WOE and the change in overall outlook on life! I'm totally focused on this right now, especially in learning how to cook differently and in creating interesting menus. When I did CALP a couple years back, I think this is why I fell off the wagon...I just got bored and I was so uncreative in the kitchen. This time around I'm paying close attention to the menus ideas submitted by others and I'm trying to rotate my menus.

Maz, you're absolutely right! Every time I step on the scale I'm happy and amazed how this works. Been reading more of the success stories here, too, and I now see that it is possible to lose a great deal of weight with this WOE. I hope we're all loading up this board with success stories from now on. :thup:

Thanks again, everyone!

Donald :roll:

allisonm
Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:22
Hi DW!

I'm so glad to see you're hanging in there. Sometimes I see a person start out, post for two weeks and then disappear. I'm glad you've hung on long enough to see some very positive results. From what I've read, it's the triglycerides that really move on this plan and they're the ones that a the big indicator for potential heart attack. It'll be really exciting to check your blood at three and six months.

I know how it is with the parents - mine are the same. But you can take sort of an evil pleasure in knowing that they're wrong and proving them wrong. ;)

I've just been reading Thin For Good, a LC book written by Fred Pescatore, former medical director of the Atkins Center. He makes a big deal out of specializing the diet for men because he says most diet books are marketed toward women. He lists some of the advantages and disadvantages that men have in following the plan. One of the big disadvantages he lists for men is that many men can't figure out how to maximize their food choices. Women, he says, tend to succed more often simply because they (we) more often figure out broader menu possibilities. So by having figured out the food thing, you've overcome a major obstacle. And then you have all the other advantages like a faster metabolism than women, greater confidence than women, ... I can't remember the rest.

So congratulations! That book is a quick and easy read; I found it at my local public library. If you want to learn more about what's different for men in LCing, you might check it out.

Allison

clwydd
Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:48
Hi Donald,

I've tried CAD twice, and I am grateful to the Hellers because the book introduced me to low-carb in a relatively gentle way. The first time five years ago, I stuck at 30 lb and moved to Atkins for another 20, which (sound familiar?) I eventually gained back. I started again a year and a half ago at 285 and stayed on for long enough to get back into the low-carb mode and to the point where I wasn't living for Happy Hour. Then I switched to Protein Power.

A few things bugged me about CAD. The first was there were too many rules that didn't make sense (what's wrong with zucchini?--it's such an inoffensive little vegetable). I began to find the tone of the books a little irritating; I'm much happier with the Eades' "just the facts, m'am" approach. And I found that I spent much too much time focusing on the reward meal (not a good name, by the way) and not enough in enjoying what I ate at other times. I didn't completely lose my cravings, I just postponed them for a few hours. And yes, I can see how boredom can be part of it. The reward meal is only one-third of your meals for the day, but it takes on too much importance. If you like to eat--and I do--all of your meals should be interesting and enjoyable.

I certainly don't mean to trash the diet; I am very happy that I found it. The low-carb way of life embraces a wide spectrum of approaches and techniques, and we should welcome and celebrate them all, while acknowledging that they don't all work equally well for everyone.

Susan

ruby
Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:57
Congratulations on 7 lbs :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Ruby :wave:

DWRolfe
Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:14
Thanks Ruby!

What's even better is that since that post, I've now lost another 11 pounds for a total of 18! :D

I'm just full-on going for it! :hyper:

Thanks again!

Donald

ldypgmr
Thu, Feb-07-02, 18:16
Hey DW,

I thought that was a slimmer picture...congrats.

Dee

Marion13
Thu, Feb-07-02, 23:40
DW

Congrats.... you are doing great.... love the new photo...

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Maz

ldypgmr
Fri, Feb-08-02, 15:06
Hey DW.....congrats on the pounds lost...

It will great seeing your pics change as you go down the scale.

Dee