PDA

View Full Version : Not losing fast enough?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LaurieLou
Sat, Jan-19-02, 09:05
I started the Atkins diet on January 1st and I have lost 6 pounds. The weight came off in about 10 days. I have not lost an ounce since then. My diet consists of eggs, cheese, chicken, steak, prime rib, sausage, hamburger & bacon. When I need a snack, I grab a handful of macadamia nuts or almonds. I have also had a few servings of sugar free jello with whipped cream. I have not cheated and as far as I know, I have consumed NO sugar. I drink more water during the day at work than I do at home but I believe I am drinking enough water. I drink very little coffee but if I do, it is decaffinated. My one vice is diet pop - I just can't give it up and will admit that I can drink anywhere from 1 to 4 cans of pop a day. If it is the pop, what do I drink in replace of it? Is everyone drinking just water? I am desperate to lose weight. I have been so unhappy with what I weigh and disappointed in myself. I thought this diet would be simple to follow. What I need is someone to give me a two week menu to follow that consist of no elaborate hard to find foods or ingredients. Okay, so maybe that is asking for too much and I do realize that if I want to lose weight, I have to do some of the work myself but any suggestions would be appreciated.

agonycat
Sat, Jan-19-02, 09:13
I am curious......

Where are your veggies at? One does not live on meat and cheese alone.

I would suggest you go back and re read your book to find out what types of food you can enjoy while dieting. :)

bacon=high salt and nitrates
sausage=sometimes contains sugar or fillers depending on brand
4oz cheese a day limit
NO ASPARTAME

Those are just a few that stand out. And yes, most of us just drink water :)

LC Sponge
Sat, Jan-19-02, 09:42
It's normal for the body to take a 'time out' after the initial loss after the start of induction. The loss should start again after a bit, however as agonycat pointed out ... you need to be eating 20 g carb a day in the form of leafy greens, and a few choice veggies like broccoli, asparagus, green beans, etc. I just drink water (and 2-3 cups coffe a day)- no pop.

Karen
Sat, Jan-19-02, 10:46
Hi Laurie!

Learning how to low-carb can seem complicated at first, but the learning curve is necessary to help you learn the basics of low-carbing, which are the tools you'll use for the rest of your life.

In the Newbies Questions forum there are two threads at the top of the page. One is on how to put an eating plan together and the other is called Hot Links! In the Hot Links! thread, there is a link called 'So you think you are a Turtle' that is full of tips.

Sometimes it's not as easy as A + B = C with low-carbing and there can be many reasons why it's not that easy.

Let us know how you make out! You may also want to start a Journal where you can post your menus and get advice.

Karen

LaurieLou
Sat, Jan-19-02, 13:39
Thank you all for your input. I will check out the two threads you mention Karen. This is a learning experience to me and I was planning on making it a lifestyle change, not just something for the moment. Apparently, I have much to learn!

K-Louise
Sat, Jan-19-02, 16:50
Hi LaurieLou,

Also, watch out for the nuts. They are not allowed on Induction and Atkins recommends that they be introduced later rather than sooner in OWL. Recommended to up your carbs from veges and salad first.

Also, I think you should focus on what you have achieved already. Your stats say that you have only 25 pounds to loose. You have lost over 20% of that weight in 3 weeks. I would say that's pretty good! Perhaps your body is readjusting, this WOE tends to do a few pound drop at a time rather than a pound a day.. different for different people. Don't compare other peoples results to your own.

Don't get distressed, it will happen.

Kim

Marlaine
Sun, Jan-20-02, 01:34
Just a little info on nuts, besides what K-Louise already mentioned. If I grab a 'moderate' handful of nuts, it's an ounce. (I weigh every handful to be sure!) If I grab a 'greedy' handful of nuts, it's more like an ounce and three quarters.

Here are some stats on nuts:

1 oz Almonds = 163 calories and 5.6g carbs
1 oz Macadamias = 203 calories and 3.7 carbs

Multiply that by however many handful snacks a day and it can add up!

Marlaine