PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have Hypothyroidizm..

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SlimShAdY
Sat, Jan-19-02, 04:54
Cuz I kinda do, Well actually I don't even have a thyroid..And it sux for losing weight!!!! i have like no metabolism whatsoever..ect.

Anyone here have success on this diet being hypo? :confused:

Squeezle
Sat, Jan-19-02, 04:58
Hi there. Yeah I know it sucks! LOL I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroidism) and I am very aggressively medicated. I take 250mcgs thyroxine plus a "booster" of 400mcgs twice a week as well as 10mcgs additional T3. I feel so much better than I did a few months ago, let me tell ya! And yes, I am losing slowly (but LOSING). So, all hope is not lost!

SlimShAdY
Sat, Jan-19-02, 05:08
Ugh it sucks! I never really had any problems with my thyroid, I just had cancer and they took it out..I didn't even know I had that! lol...So because I don't have one, they consider me Hypo..I'm taking synthroid for it but that's not helping me lose..ugh...Are you taking the natural supplement/pills or something..?

I like being hypo cause I don't really gain weight....But it also sux cause I can't lose for crap, unless its waterweight...Which I gained 11lbs of water weight over the holidays..LoL oops.

How much are you losing a week even though its real slow?

I want to atleast be able to lose 2lbs a week like NORMAL ppl..lol

:mad: :(

Squeezle
Sat, Jan-19-02, 05:14
If I REALLY REALLY stick to my program, I can lose 2lbs a week. I did last week. I am happy with anything in the down direction, though.

I don't take natural supplements - I take a sythetic thyroxine (brand name Oroxine here in australia) - synthroid is similar. see my previous post for my dosages.

It IS possible, especially if you are optimally medicated. If you find you aren't losing and have other hypo symptoms (fatigue, cold, hair loss, etc) then see your doc again and get your meds adjusted.

shaz
Sat, Jan-19-02, 15:44
Hi, I have just lost 4 pounds on the first week of induction - more than on any other diet I have ever done!

I am on 100mg Thyroxine (same as synth) and prior to this, my weight has either been staying the same or going up despite dieting and a lot of exercise. It is a huge relief to actually see some progress!

I am still not stabilised on meds and am in the process of 'discussion' with my doctor to get tsh levels down lower as I still don't feel really well, but I'm getting there.

Shaz

Kellycolle
Sun, Feb-10-02, 20:01
i'm hypo too. I just got my synthroid increased from 0.05 to 75 mcgs. I feel a lot better. I was sleeping a lot and just sluggish. But I think that was also because I was eatting all wrong too.
I lost 60 lbs two years ago on adkins, while hypo and it took me 2 months or so. I gained 30 back eatting wrong again. So I think you can lose and as long as you are on the right amt of meds you'll be fine. Kelly

shelley
Wed, Feb-13-02, 23:44
it really sucks eh!? I have gained 130 pounds. But now with low carbing at least I have stopped gaining. I haven't really lost much but at least I am not gaining anymore.

kelw369
Mon, Feb-18-02, 21:44
I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, finally. But what stinks is I went to the doctor in 2000 and wasn't feeling right then 90lbs later here I am at 315lbs. But finally I went to the doctor again and they did finally diagnose me with hypo. I finally feel like I'm not crazy. I was exercising doing atkins and nothing since June of 2001 I've been trying to lose and nothing. Finally they put me on the synthyroid .025mg and I'm feeling better, more energy and I've been able to increase my exercise activity. Anyway I'll keep you posted hopefully this will stabilize my metabolism so I can lose weight. Thanks.... :wiggle:

aztovaalex
Mon, Feb-25-02, 17:56
Hey,

I FINALLY talked my doctor into upping my synthroid to .75 after years at 0.50 and sluggishness and dry skin and..... Cytomel is staying at 0.25. Do you take cytomel or something similar, too? My TSH level came out at .644 and I'm researching what the high end should be. Lots of info to go through for that! Did you begin to lose after upping to 0.75?

Thanks,

Susan

aztovaalex
Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:29
Hey,

I FINALLY talked my doctor into upping my synthroid to .75 after years at 0.50 and sluggishness and dry skin and..... Cytomel is staying at 0.25. Do you take cytomel or something similar, too? My TSH level came out at .644 and I'm researching what the high end should be. Lots of info to go through for that! Did you begin to lose after upping to 0.75?

Thanks,

Susan

aztovaalex
Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:43
Hey,

Thanks,

Susan

Lindalouky
Thu, Feb-28-02, 12:47
I was diagnosed with a cold nodule on my thyroid and am on Synthroid 25 mcg daily. I guess I really don't have hypothyroidism, but my dr. is giving me the synthroid in hopes that my nodule will not get any bigger.

Shockingly, the first dr. I went to see about the nodule suggested surgery!! I was 31 at the time and had never been married and had no children. Thank God I got a second opinion--my endo says that that was an outrageous reaction--really could have affected my ability to conceive!

I am starting my new lifestyle tomorrow and am hopeful that the synthroid might assist me, but you never know!

Linda

Sinlaila
Fri, Mar-01-02, 14:57
Can you be hypothyroid and lose weight? YES, you can if you do it properly. Please check out this link:
http://thyroid.about.com/library/weightloss/blmain.htm
I have lost 35 pounds over the last 5 months. In Feb, I switched to checking the percentage of body fat instead of pounds and I have lost .7% body fat in less than a month. You have to eat! And eat lots of protein. You should be eatting about 10x your current weight in calories and 40% - 50% of your ihntake should be protein. You also need to do some weight training. Circuit training is great as is weight lifting. the link I listed has tons of info. I strongly suggest you read up and educate yourself. I learn somehting new every time I go back to it.

fiona
Sat, Mar-02-02, 06:57
Yes it is possible to be hypo and lose on Atkins. It is hard work so a lot of faith and perseverance is called for but it does pay off.

Good Luck - Take care.

darcijj
Tue, Mar-05-02, 19:38
I have been on armour thyroid for a year now and take adrenal gland supplements.. It has made a wonderful difference in my life excpet for one thing... I can't lose any more weight.. I am 6 pounds lighter from a year ago and thats it... I am currently on sugar busters and 1200-1400 calories a day... I exercise on a stationary bike 6 nights a week... from 5-10 miles each time... and still not losing any more weight... my Doc suggested cutting calories even more to 800 a day... I think that would be a mistake... I am hungry all the time now even on Sugar busters...

I am stuck and don't know what to do... cut calories.. or add calories.. cut more carbs... exercise more... my armour seems to be at the right dose.. I dont have any symptoms...

does anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Schwarz
Wed, Mar-06-02, 13:55
darcijj:

I am hypothyroid ...have been for over 16 years. I've had varying dosages of Levothyroxine during this time. Weightloss has been a nightmare for me until I was introduced to DRNDR this past fall.

About 3 years ago I read an older book found in our local library (written during mid 1970's) put out by a dietician (can't remember her name) who was successful in helping those with metabolism problems to loose weight. Thinking back, it was likely a moderate LC way of eating. I didn't work for me. When someone told me about a high protein / low carb diet, I told them I tried one but it doesn't work for me. She explained that there are many low carb plans out in the market and that I need to find the one that is best for my particular metabolism needs. So I read DANDR as well as Protein Power. Protein Power reminded me of that previous diet put out by the dietician. Since Atkins' diet talked of even lower carbs, I tried that out & it has been working for me (amazing!). You can see by my profile how well I've done on it. During a 3 month stall, I twigged on to cheese & nuts as stalling agents for me. At the moment, I'm taking in maybe 30ish carbs / day ( I don't know how many calories I get ...I haven't taken the time or interest to calculate that) and maybe loose about 1 pound per week. I try to take a 1 hour walk 2 - 3 times a week.

All I can encourage you to do is possibly consider experimenting with different LC approaches. With unique health challenges, one LC program may work better than others. Different LC programs is compared through this LC website if you want to look things up. If you have a 'Curves' fitness centre in your area, you can get lots of info & support through them. It sounds like you have great perseverance ...be willing to adjust & readjust where necessary in order to attain your goal.

darcijj
Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:43
thanks Swarz for your encouragment.. I think I decided today to give Atkins another try... last year when I tried it I was not on thyroid meds and too tired to deal with anything... but the main problem I had was not knowing what to eat ... hard boiled eggs for breakfast everyday can get tiresome.. I think I need menu suggestions to get me started again.... and I should eat more smaller meals a day.. but I just don't know what to eat in between breakfast, lunch and dinner.... I am so used to hearing people tell me to eat less and you will lose weight... I wish it were that easy...

well the only carbs substantial carbs I had today was at lunch... and this week I am going shopping this week and will have to make a list of items I can have...

Thanks again! :spin:

Sinlaila
Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:59
Why not check out some of the journals for menu suggestions? You should start one of your own as well if you have not done so. That way you can look back and see what worked for you and what didn't. Also check out the recipe section of this forum for terrific ideas so you don't feel stuck with the same old thing every day. Eatting to lose weight is a hard concept to deal with after all the crap we have been taught about being fat because we eat too much. Rest assured that Atkins does work. Remember that there is more to the Atkins WOE than induction. Too many people get caught up in the induction phase and feel overly restricted.
You can do it! :D

nill4me
Fri, Mar-08-02, 06:00
HI!
I just found out less than a month ago that I am hypo also. TSH is around 7.2. Doc put me on 50mcg of Synthroid, but to be honest, I'm still waiting to feel better. Sometimes I wonder If I am doing too much at once to my body...i.e, Synthroid, my LC WOE, etc....I worry that it will get confused even more so than it already obviously is! My first week of LC I lost 13lbs. I know that most of that was water. Then my next week I lost 2lbs. Now...I have gained 5lbs. Talk about depressed....LOL! It was here that I learned that I was not eating enough calories or fat. Iwas averaging 850 cals / day...my poor body thought it was starving. hence, the gain....it was putting away for a rainy day!!! hah!

Well, the monsoon is here! I've upped my calories and fat intake....I've resigned myself to stay off my scale for 1-2 wks at a time. (my scale hates me....) and I am really hoping that all of this starts to come together. I have to talk to my doc in a week or so, and I am hoping to go to 75mcg on my meds, because i just dont feel any better on this dose. But, I know it can take a while, and don't know how long I'm supposed to wait for results.

The GOOD thing is that while i havent lost a ton of weight, I HAVE lost some inches...I can feel it....i dont feel 'as' bloated as I did a few weeks ago. Which is good, because that starting weight you see is an all time high for me. I thought i was going to just keep going until I exploded!! Good luck to all, I'll check back to see how we are all doin!!

doreen T
Fri, Mar-08-02, 10:04
hi nill4me,

50mcg of synthroid T4 hormone is a very low dose .. your doctor will be increasing it gradually till you reach the maximal dose for YOU, which will bring your TSH down (preferably below 2). You should be having your TSH checked regularly, every 10 to 12 weeks, and based on the level, your dosage of hormone will be increased in small increments until the adequate dosage is reached. It's important to increase in gradual steps, rather than blast in the full dose at once. Thyroid hormone can cause the heart to race, blood pressure to go up, insomnia and other symptoms .. this is why it's added gradually.

You might be interested to check out this list of foods and drugs (http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa032400a.htm) which can interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone. Check out the rest of the About.come Thyroid site (http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/) while you're there; lots of good information.

Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Doreen

shaz
Fri, Mar-08-02, 16:53
Does anyone konw where to find the evidence to prove that we are meant to have a low (under 2) TSH level? Everyone keeps saying it's so, but I've not been able to find any papers proving it. My Doctor doesn't believe this to be true, so unless I can show him some research, he is quite happy to keep me at 6 or just under!

Thanks.

Shaz

darcijj
Fri, Mar-08-02, 17:54
I know how you feel.. when I first started on armour it seemed to take a while to get my energy back.. i was up to 60 mg a day and still had trouble getting out of bed.. Then my doc suggested adrenal gland supplements.. that my adrenal glands may have been exhausted and that helped contribute to my low thyroid.. I now take 2 tablets of Ardrenogen.. one in the morning and one in the afternoon.... if I miss doses I can tell .. I get that tired feeling again.. so If your doses go up but you still do not feel back to your old self .. ask your doc about adrenal glad exhaustion... afterall both the thyroid gland and the adrenal gland work together to regulate the body...

I also take several vitamins a day.. a multi vitamin... chromium.. selenium, vitamin C and licorice...

hope you feel better soon... :wave:

nill4me
Mon, Mar-11-02, 05:46
thanks for the good words folks...I am hoping that over the course of the next year that I will be able to get my thyroid level down & regulated properly, and that in combination with my new woe, wol, will help the other things fall into place...I'm still having issues with the calorie thing also, but i'm working on that. does anyone know, can I throw some whey protein into a smoothie or something like that? I know i can add calories with fat, i already use full fat dressings, and olive oils. I'm wondering though if some kind of smoothie in the morning, or evening...or even those protein bars. I've found one that I actually like, called myoplex, by EAS. I know that there are hidden carbs in it, but my carb count really is usually 20 or less, so i can spare few here and there. They are 240 calories per bar, and I think that would help. I could eat those at work during the day. Thoughts??

I happened along about.com/thyroid very shortly after I was diagnosed, and read it regularly...it is a truly excellent site for anyone with hypothyroidism....lets you know that no....you ARENT crazy!!! you really DO feel badly! :daze:

hugs.
Jenn

nwkidintwn
Sat, Mar-16-02, 23:56
I've got hypothyroidism :thdown: . I've been doing the diet for 5 months and lost around 20 lbs. Slow... but I am losing :thup: . Something I was unable to do before :cheer: . What kind of meds are you taking? I've found that the natural thyroxin works better for me than the synthetic kind. I've on the meds for ten years now. How about you?

aztovaalex
Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:40
I've been on synthetic thyroid for about 6 years now. I can't find a doctor who will prescribe Armour. They all seem to be afraid. They say it is too hard to regulate. I added Cytomel about 9 months ago and finally bumped the synthroid up to .75 from .5. My skin is so much better and my mind seems to be clearer.

20 pounds! Fantastic! Keep up the good work! :)

I've been a poor Atkins/SS/whatever candidate, having fallen off the wagon repeatedly, but not regained any weight. I've lost a consistent 8 pounds since December. I'm trying to get into ketosis again and drop another few. At this rate...hmm....I could be thin in about 20 years...:-)

EdB
Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:49
Hi

I'm on 90 mg Armour Thyroid for about three months. Also 15 mg of Remeron for depression and 80/12.5 Diovan HCT for hypertension. Just finished 6th week of Atkins induction. Feeling better, lost 22 pounds, 15 in the first two weeks. Now about 1-2 pounds per week. :thup: Still have 40 pounds to go. Planning to stay on induction for atleast another month then starting phase two.

Running has increased from <10 miles per week to over 20. Somedays I am very tired, like today. I find wieght loss is like running. It takes time. It took me 51 years to get to this point, a couple of months or years isn't so bad to get where I want to go.

aztovaalex
Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:10
Way to go! Keep up the good work!

nwkidintwn
Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:24
Well....I did not know that Armour Thyroxin even existed until I moved to a different town, and decided to try out a Naturopath.... Now I have always been a little leery of those guys, so I'm not really sure why I did it....But I'm glad I did. She was the one to introduce me to natural Thyroxin. And she also raised my dosage. In her opinion the majority of hypothyriod patients in the U.S.A. are generally under medicated. Well, I accepted her idea up to a certain point. I decided to call up several pharmacies and question them on this new information...she was right. So, now I've been taking this new brand of meds and new dose for the last 3 months. I'm feeling better than I have in ten years!!! No bulging eyes, no hypractivity, no case of the grumpies, generally speaking no overdose symptoms. Also I started taking Conjugated Linoleic Acidor CLA . It also is a natural supplement
It actually decreases the fat cells ability to take in energy (calories), hence the consumed energy is rerouted to muscle tissue. I've had a significant decrease in cellulite and a big increase in muscle tone. With no real significant amount of exercise. I can only imagine what it will be like when I get motivated to exercise. Punch CLA into a search engine. You won't believe it. Bye :wave:

Jo-AnneH
Mon, Mar-18-02, 20:10
What a relief to find out that I'm not alone! Beside IGT and IR, I had a clean bill of health in Jan 2001 when I lost 23lbs Atkins in 3 months, hit a plateau, then in Nov 2001 regained 80% in 3 weeks. My doc tested & said hyopothyroidism, & prescribed thyroxine. I found this forum in a state of despair, because I was still doing Atkins, but without the same sucess as this time last year. I see now that I am lucky to have lost the 10lbs in the past 3 months. I have not regained my enery and enthusiasm that I lost at that time, in fact some days I feel so ill I only get out of bed long enough to go to gym, and then come back and sleep for the next 18 to 20 hours. At these times, I become so despondant that I feel like taking all the medication and turfing it out the window. I often wonder if it is not all the side effects of all these synthetic hormones and chemicals that are causing this lassitude and exhaustion. A friend and fellow Atkinser reminded me of the fat fast fat fast (pg 239 New Diet Revolution 1999) which I am trying, starting today. I'll post my progress on that one. Thanks for sharing everybody! :wave:

nwkidintwn
Mon, Mar-18-02, 22:24
Darcij...What is DRNDR :confused:

nill4me
Tue, Mar-19-02, 06:00
I'm a Protein Power person...but I believe that the DRNDR is the new release of the Atkins book. ....something, something, New Diet Revolution?...

Congrats on your loss nwkid! That is fantastic. I've lost total, about 13 pounds so far, in about a month. I'd be happier about that, but that was in my first week....and now I'm stallled, and don't know if it is because of the thyroid thing, or just me.....

My doc has me on synthroid....a low dose. I just had a blood draw on friday, and I believe she will be uppping that dosage, dependent on how that bloodwork comes out. Luckily we are in agreement on what my levels should be at....her goal is to get mine at 2 or lower. Last check, it was at 7.2, so we will see what happens this go round. I've not noticed any change in engergy levels, so I'm guessing that i didnt drop much from that starting point.

If I could get my butt (literally...lol) down about another 5 lbs, I would be SO happy....because that would mean my stall is over....woohoo. I'm trying just about everything I can think of, to no avail!!! :mad:

best of luck!!

jenn

shaz
Sat, Mar-23-02, 04:17
Hi Jo-Anne,
It's real easy to get despondent with thyroid problems because everything is such hard work. I think you'll find that even feeling depresssive about the situation is just another symptom of the condition!

Energy does start to increase as the meds go up but it takes a few weeks to notice any changes, and once you get past the still wanting to sleep all the time stage, life does get to seem a bit better.

Hang in there.

shaz

nwkidintwn
Sat, Mar-30-02, 23:25
Hey you guys :wave: ,
I've got the low thyroid problem too. I lose weight sloooowly :( on the atkins plan. I can't get it off any other way. But in researching something for my daughter I stumbled onto a couple of antioxidents that might help. Her they are: 5-HTP and Alpha Lipoic Acid. There benefits are more than I could expain here. But punch them into a search engine and read. I went right out and bought them and I think they are working. I'll keep you posted. :roll:

darcijj
Sun, Mar-31-02, 19:28
how long did it take you to lose 20 lbs?.... I am in week 3 and only lost 6 pounds so far.. and nothing in the past week at all... so discouraging not to see any progress... I know its part of the thyroid problem.. but would like to know how long it is taking everyone else to make progress...

nwkidintwn
Sun, Mar-31-02, 23:51
It took me almost 3 months. The first week went the fastest. and then everything slowed to a sloooow crawl :( . But at least I lost! Which something I couldn't seem to do on any other diet. I've got another 25 to go. I'm thinking that it will be off maybe by next fall. And I'm not going to get frustrated about it either. Cause if I do, I'll just quit, and then start gaining. I just want to keep on keeping on. Plus I'll pray :angel: . And someday I'm gonna be thin :exclm: :cheer:

RobinG.
Tue, Apr-23-02, 07:01
This weekend, I met a girl that has an underactive thyroid. She is extremely overweight and it has effected her mentally and physically. she is very depressed. she was told by her doctors that it is hopeless that she will lose weight. I was suprised by that comment, and decided to look into this a bit further for her. I am glad that I came here today, because after doing some research and reading some of your posts here, I know that there is hope for her. I also read some interesting information regarding this at the about.com. website. I know how difficult it is to lose weight without having a medical problem, so i realize that this is tremendously difficult for her and others who have thryroid problems. but to hear her say to me that she was told it is hopeless that she will ever lose weight broke my heart. she had such despair in her face. but i am going to recommend this website to her for some encouragement, support and guidance.

Jo-AnneH
Thu, Apr-25-02, 00:34
Thanx Shaz :D

I've been offline for a while, but did my fat fast and lost three kg in 3 days :cheer: I'm feeling so much better. My only problem is that I have also been on CLA and DHEA for 1 month and I don't know if that has kicked in and helped too. The bottom line is that it has all worked. My energy levels are back to the same as my late teens/early twenties, and my state of mind has done a 180 turnaround. I have not felt this content, confident and positive for the past 4 years, and bounce out of bed every morning, eager to face the day. Of course, this forum is also a great help, knowing that others are out there who have been there done that (BTDT) and have the scars to prove it. I will now do the fat fast every four weeks and atkins inbetween, and thus achieve my goal weght by December. :wave:

shaz
Thu, Apr-25-02, 11:46
Wow Jo-anne, that's fantastic.

I am familiar with CLA, but what is DHEA?
I thought about trying the CLA but I was put off by the fact that it costs £20 and didn't want to try it on the off-chance.

Well done, and keep it up

Shaz

deb_o
Sun, May-05-02, 19:25
I had been on synthroid since the mid-80's. My thyroid had been "damaged" during radiation therapy for Hodgkin's disease.
Last year was BAD for me emotionally. I went off my medication last spring. I had blood work done in Feb. My thyroid levels were NORMAL! Still don't understand how that's possible. We are repeating the test later this month. I feel great- full of energy. :roll:
I certainly am not advocating anyone going off their medication, I feel very stupid for having done so. :nono:

gmurphy
Wed, May-22-02, 12:14
Thank goodness...some other hypo folks! I've low-carbed before, then plateaued and thought it just wasn't for me...gained weight on a 'good nutrition' program, and am back on Atkins again. Just saw my Endocrinologist today...am stablized at 150mcg synthroid/10mcg cytomel, but she thinks losing weight will be an uphill battle for me! I started back on Atkins 3 weeks ago, and dropped 6 lbs. in the first 2 weeks...nothing since. I'm working with a personal trainer 1x week and exercising 3-5x weekly, my cholesterol is 159, glucose 90!!! so I know the program is excellent for me healthwise...but I want to prove my dr. wrong and lose 50 lbs. I need an 'old timer' who can help review what I'm eating to see if I'm getting stuck with 'hidden carbs', etc...I want to be 100% on this wol, but am not sure about many things. If any of you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it...especially those of you with the same medical problems who have been successful. Hope there is someone out there who can lend a hand...and good luck to all of you who are in this situation (hypothyroidism)!!

MaltoMeel
Sun, May-26-02, 16:55
I am also a fellow hypo. I had my thyroid removed due to cancer 4 years ago. I gained a tremendous amout of weight very quickly post surgery and have had an awful time losing. Just had a baby (didn't help much : ) I know it will be slow but I'm confident this WOL is for me. I am on .125 of synthroid daily.

mbschlgr
Tue, May-28-02, 07:13
To GJM:

If any of you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it...especially those of you with the same medical problems who have been successful. Hope there is someone out there who can lend a hand...and good luck to all of you who are in this situation (hypothyroidism)!!

I am hypo and on .150 mcg of synthroid. I still have mine and they are watching it very closely.

Locarbing is a WOL for me. I have been with it for about a yar and a half. This past winter I fell off the wagon with one cheat after another and began to feel the destruction I was doing to myself. Many Thyroid patients are carbohydrate intolerant!

If you start a journal, I'd be glad to stop in and help you out. Feel free to read mine for a start. Just click on the little journal icon and it will take you to my journal.

Hidden carbs are expecially a problem with hypo's. Got to be real careful of them. I am basically on a permanent induction. If i go over 20gms in a day, it does me in. I feel awful.

Schwarz
Wed, May-29-02, 17:38
Back in March I put my two cents worth of opinion in this thread & wouldn't ya know it ...I made a liar out of myself. I had said I was loosing approx 1 lb a week. Well, I haven't lost an ounce since then. This stall has been driving me crazy!!.

My dr's app't finally came up 3 weeks ago (who, by the way, was a regular GP about 2 years ago but decided to give up his family practice to concentrate on complementary medicine ...kinda like what Atkins does) and he did a number of blood tests (10 vials to be exact :eek: ) on me.

One thing that bugged me while I was waiting for my follow-up app't (which was today) was that I was having increasing problems with being dizzy ...thinking maybe I was getting too low on my blood sugar or something. Well, not only did this guy find out that my T3 was out-of-whack (even though my T4 and my TSH was right on), but I was also iron defficient, which accounted for my dizzy spells (how can that be with so much red meats going into my system :confused: )

As I looked up in my nutrition books, I noticed that there are many symptoms that iron-deficient anemia has in common with hypothyroidism .....constipation, headaches, irritability, difficulty in concentration, obesity, weakness, fatigue, coldness of the extremities, & depression. Any of you who still feel gross even though you may be taking thyroid treatments may want to ask your dr. about looking into your ferritan levels (if it hasn't been looked into already). Also, if you can convince your dr, get your T3 level looked into even though you may have had your T4 & TSH checked & OKed ...it may be revealing.

I go back to my dr in Sept to get things checked out. He is feeling suspicious that maybe my body has an absorption problem with my thyroid meds and possibly with B12 & maybe even iron. But we won't know for sure until I've taken this extra iron and some Armour Thyroxine in addition to my Synthroid (Synthroid only increases the T4 & doesn't even touch T3 ...thus the reason for adding Armour).

Here's hoping that we'll get somewhere with my weight loss in addition to the other symptoms I've been experiencing! :yawn:

gmurphy
Thu, May-30-02, 12:37
Wish I could say that some T3 would help...and maybe it will for you, but I've been on both Synthroid and Cytomel (T3) for almost a year now and it has me feeling GREAT...but does nothing for getting my metabolism to move! My endocrinologist says that the most difficult battle for me will be to keep from being discouraged. She says that I could eat the exact same meal every day for a month...and some weeks I might drop a lb...and others I might stay exactly the same. She says that the medication helps relieve the symptoms, but doesn't rev up your metabolism. I'm trying hard to be 100% on Atkins induction...lost 8 lbs. in the first weeks and nothing since (I started this at the end of April). I've just started a journal on this site so I can monitor what I'm eating and get some advice from others who 'visit', but the main thing is that I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and remember than for every week I don't lose, it really means that I've successfully not gained!! Hang in there...we'll do it!!

antiquated
Sat, Jun-09-18, 20:02
I have had absolutely no thyroid function since I was about 10 years old. I am almost 50 now, and menopausal, and I have lost around 25 pounds. It can be done--don't give up!