PDA

View Full Version : Atkins products available in Australia

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Marion13
Wed, Jan-16-02, 05:29
Hi all

I am new to this site and just love it... in fact I can't get enough of it. It really keeps the motivation going.

Thought that I would pass on that some Atkins products (Bake Mix, Shakes (powdered and made up in cans), chocolate and hazelnut syrups and Advantage Bars are available through GNC health food stores in Sydney and Melbourne. I had never heard of them before. I live in Canberra but came across a worldwide list of GNC stores on the web. I rang the one in Westfield Parramatta and the Manager, Mark was very helpful.

I happened to be going up to Sydney last weekend so stopped buy and grabbed a bake mix, a couple of bars and a shake mix to try. They are quite expensive because of the Aussie dollar (Bake Mix $29.95, Shakes $49.95 for the tin of powder or $5.95 per can, Advantage Bars $5.95 each and I think the syrups were around $14.00).

Haven't tried the bake mix yet but plan to this weekend. The bars are OK, I cut one into three and used it as a snack over a couple of days rather than use one as a meal replacement.

The GNC stores will also do mail order over the phone to anywhere in Australia. Just thought I'd pass on the info in case anyone was interested. They also have some other low-carb bars.

Maree

Dianne
Sun, Jan-27-02, 18:26
Marion13, thanks for the info about the Atkins products in Australia. I emailed Atkins Centre 2 weeks ago and asked if any were available here (as I was going on a trip to Sydney) and they told me NO. So I have now returned to Brisbane and have just read your email. Wished I'd known before I went.

Could you please let me know the ingredients in the Atkins Bake Mix as I am going to attempt to make my own. If it's a success, I will post my recipe after I trial it.

Many thanks.

Dianne

K-Louise
Sun, Jan-27-02, 18:48
I talked to the girl in my local GNC store, and she also said they could pretty much order in any thing from the Atkins catalogue. So, if you check online at atkinscenter.com and call them with a list they should be able to get it in (apart from perishable stuff).

Great news huh?

Kim

CherylAust
Sun, Feb-24-02, 08:22
That's great news, thanks. I've got to go to Parramatta next week, so guess where I'll be going too.

Cheryl

sammiejam
Wed, Feb-27-02, 17:55
hi guys

i have tried the some of the atkins products and i CANT STAND the bake-mix. Tasted horrible but i know that k- louise really liked it, it just depends on your taste-buds, but i do think that it is really expensive, we need more home- grown stuff that doesnt cost the earth don't we??

the shakes in a can are nice too but then again at $6 a can that is a bit much.

CherylAust
Thu, Feb-28-02, 03:13
Have you seen the recipes for the Faux Atkins Bake Mix and the Atkins like Bake Mix? They are both in the readers low carb recipes under bread. Look here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread.html.

I haven't tried them yet so I don't know how they compare with the original.

Cheryl

steve b
Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:35
I have tried some of the Atkins products too. The shake is quite good, but a bit expensive. The bread mix I found uneatable! Wasn't even able to finish it.

CherylAust
Thu, Feb-28-02, 19:44
I went to GNC today, they were out of the bake mix, they only had a few products. Bought one of the Advantage Bars to try. They were really expensive at $5.95 but I thought they may help keep me out of the kids snacks. Took one bite, eeewwww yuck, I am determined to force myself to eat the rest, gonna take a while, because I am not going to waste 6 bucks!

Cheryl

K-Louise
Thu, Feb-28-02, 20:31
Advantage Bars,

Now I tried advantage bars in USA, and there were a couple that I really loved. They are expensive here because of exchange rate. Which GNC store had the advantage bars? I wouldn't use them as a snack though, more like a meal replacement in emergencies. I like the idea of carrying one in case you end up somewhere and can't find anything to eat.

Kim

CherylAust
Thu, Feb-28-02, 21:39
The Parramatta store had them. Instead of using them as a meal replacement I was going to cut them up and just have a small piece as a snack. As it is I can barely swallow a small bit.
There were only 2 flavours there, Creamy Berry Cheesecake ( the one I got) and Lemon Chiffon Cheesecake. I just tried another piece to see if they got better when chilled.....NO. I tossed up between the two, I may try the other next time.

Cheryl

Marg
Thu, Feb-28-02, 21:49
I to have been to the Parramatta store and did the same as you bought the 2 difference Advantage bars and forced myself to eat them as they were so expensive and as I said in my Journal I am so glad I tried them and so glad I hated them so now I am not jealous of all the people that rave over them..................I was there this week infact and they still don't have the Atkins bake mix but from what I have read in some of the Journals it isn't all that hot either. I must contact Picture of Health and see if they will be coming up with some baking mix. bye now Marg.

K-Louise
Thu, Feb-28-02, 23:02
Strange we all have different tastes. The creamy berry cheesecake was my favourite.. and the chocolate macadamia .. yummmmmmmm

:lol:

Isn't the good the world is a different place for everyone.

sammiejam
Thu, Feb-28-02, 23:43
hi its sammie

PoH is trialing a piklet mix which has a our own soyflour free bake mix in it, there is a post on the PoH site about it, in the taste test club. All going well it shouldnt be too long until it is trialed and avalible!!

K-Louise
Fri, Mar-01-02, 00:44
That's great news Sammie. I'm sure it will sell well.

By the way, even though I liked the advantage bars, the protein bars from Picture of Health are nicer than the advantage bars.

Some of them were downright delicious.

Coffee on the weekend Sammie?

steve b
Tue, Mar-05-02, 02:21
I am a bit concerned when I read the ingredient list of the atkins products. Half of the stuff is chemicals of one sort or another. Not strange that the bread mix tastes revolting.

I think i will stick to the australian stuff :)!

K-Louise
Tue, Mar-05-02, 02:47
Yeah, the Atkins products are full of chemicals, and artificial stuff. Kind of goes against a lot of his principles described in the book about eating "real" food.

I'm going to be testing the PoH piklet mix, picking it up tomorrow. I'll be joining you on the PoH plan, FatLoCity from Thursday Steve. Its good to see you have had more success.

Maybe we should start a FatLoCity thread in the Australian Section of this forum? Might be helpful for the other Australian/Sydney folk?

I've had a pretty tough time with Atkins, so I'm hopeful this will help get the pounds off.

I'm gonna copy this to create a new thread... hmmmm FatLoCity, or Picture of Health? Picture of Health I think, cause their products are cool too.

Kim

CherylAust
Tue, Mar-05-02, 03:14
what is this 'Picture of Health" thing I've been noticing in the messages? Is there a website?

thanks,
Cheryl :confused:

K-Louise
Tue, Mar-05-02, 03:19
Picture of Health is an Australian (sydney based) company that has a low carb plan of their own (developed on individual requirements) called FatLocity (I'm going to see them for my plan tomorrow).

They are also developing their own low carb products for sale. I have bought the porridge and muffin mix, and its great. High in Fibre, low in carbs all natural ingredients. They are about to do a pikelet mix. The service is great, I received my stuff the next day by express post. They also have a discussion forum and great advice on their site.

I started a new thread for their site on the australian/NZ forum.

Cheers
Kim