PDA

View Full Version : condiments

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fine
Tue, Jan-15-02, 14:41
Hi there

I am new on this Atkins Induction and a veggie too.
Thank you all for all the questions and answers on these forums - I have read most and absorbed all the tips and help you guys give each other.

I do have a question though, on the Induction can I have mustard or tomato sauce or worcestershire sauce with my meals?

Also can I have marmite (high in vitamin B) as a hot drink? I love marmite and am really missing it as I used to have it every morning on my toast, or as a hot drink at work.
Thank you
Fine :wave:

doreen T
Tue, Jan-15-02, 16:39
We have a few other veggie members with us, you might want to check out our Vegetarian forum ... it's not too busy these days, but there's some good information there you might find helpful. Just go to the main index page by clicking on the little home icon at the top right of this page. You'll see the Daily Low-Carb Support forums part-way down ... just look for Vegetarian in the list.

I confess that I have not read Dr. Atkins' newest edition yet, just came out in December '01. But I know in previous editions of New Diet Revolution, small amounts of seasonings and condiments were permitted .. although you must remember that these foods have carbs in them, and they must be counted as part of your 20 gram limit. Best that most of your daily carbs come from salads and low-carb vegetables.

For the record ... mustards are generally very low in carbs, as long as they're not the sweet Russian or honey types. Most other dijon and prepared mustards have less than 1g per Tbsp (15 ml).

Tomato sauce/purée runs around 2.5g for 2 level Tbsp (30 ml). Tomato paste is more concentrated, and has 6g per 2 Tbsp.

Marmite is fine to have as a hot drink. According to their website, it has 0.6g in one level teaspoon (5 ml). That's better than miso, which is 1g per level tsp.

happy lowcarbing! :)

Doreen

fine
Wed, Jan-16-02, 03:11
Thank you very much for that, I shall purchase the hugest jar of Marmite ever and consume with ease of guilt. but count them up too

Take care
Fi