PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Low-Carb Chocolate Bars

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Tue, Jan-15-02, 00:16
These are quite rich and creamy chocolate bars that melt in your mouth. No glycerine or maltitol, not hidden carbs. No recommended for beginners on induction. They're quite low in carbs, but they may trigger cravings. :)

Ingredients:

1 square bakers unsweetened chocolate
3 tbsp whey protein
3 tbsp soy protein
1 tbsp psyllium husks
1 tbsp unsweetened coconut or almond meal
1 tbsp SugarTwin brown sugar
1 tbsp Splenda
5 drops Stevia
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp mint extract (optional)
1/4 cup crushed pecans (optional)

Recipe:
In a microwave-safe plastic dish, microwave the chocolate square for 1 minute on high. It should almost melted or half-way through. Add peanut butter on top and microwave for 1 minute on high. Add cream and microwave for 1.5 minutes on high (make sure the cream starts boiling, it has to be hot, or the bars will become powdery).

Sprinkle the psyllium husks first on the hot mixture, this helps solidify the bars. Add the rest of the ingredients on top. Use a hand mixer to mix the entire mixture until uniform. This will be a hard mixture and may get stuck inside the mixers, just sccop it up with a spoon.

Use a square none-stick plastic plate (I use the top of a ziplioc disposable cover), about 5x5 inches, but any none-stick surface should do. Spread the mixture on top of it, and press with the bottom of a spoon to make it evenly spread.

Freeze for an hour, and then place in the fridge until ready to use. I cut it into 4 bars.

Note: If you don't have all the above sweeteners, use any sweetener you have to taste. Mixing different sweeteners intensifies the sweetening effect, and requires a lesser amount of the sweetner. (A tip I learned from Karen)

I'll figure the exact count soon, but I don't think it's more than 3 grams ECC per bar.

itsjoyful
Tue, Jan-15-02, 13:34
you are quite the inventor!!! i really want to try this, but i think i am going to wait until i feel more in control (if that's really possible).
thanks wa'il!!
regards,
brenda

tamarian
Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:56
Oops, one item was missing, cocunut or almond meal, so I just added it.

Bren, very wise of you. Each time I make them, I can't stop at one, so I'm taking a break from them :)

Wa'il

A thin me!
Thu, Jan-17-02, 20:24
MY CHOCOLATE CRAVING MONSTER -- THANKS YOU!!!

Will try them -- but I guess I need to make another stop at the store for some of these items. Would you suggest a Trader Joes type of store or health food store.

With lots and lots of thanks

A Thin Me

tamarian
Thu, Jan-17-02, 20:34
Hi ATM,

I'd phone them first to see who has what. Would be great if one place had all the ingredients.

Wa'il