PDA

View Full Version : How was everyone's week?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jonahsafta
Fri, Jun-16-06, 05:34
What were your victories, stresses , struggles and joys this week?

Eating areas, or just life in general..

Enomarb
Fri, Jun-16-06, 05:57
I'll bite (lol).
My week weight-wise was good, but interesting. I am finding that I am swelling in the heat if I go out to eat and have dessert- I think it is the combination of the salt in the food and the sugar in the dessert. This has not been an issue for the past 3 years. I don't know what is different now. A couple of days of eating all my meals at home, with fruit, and I'm back to my usual 125. I have also noticed that alcohol affects me differently than it used too- I just don't feel good the next day even if I had one drink the night before.
Life-wise, my DS is home for the summer. At 19, he needs a job. He has procrastinated and I have had to hold my tongue. He hates my nagging, and I don't blame him. So I have had to talk myself out of saying anything like "GET A JOB!". The natural consequence is we are giving him no money, He finally accepted a p/t job yesterday. I calmly asked him about the not getting a job, that I really wanted to know what was happening. He told me that he was really disappointed that the jobs were not interesting, but he knew he had to work. I told him I was sorry that he hadn't found something, and left it at that. Then he took a filing job.
Tonight we are staying home for a quiet dinner- roast chicken, salad, vegie, bread, corn on the cob, and blueberries!
Hope your week was good, too.
E

Jonahsafta
Fri, Jun-16-06, 07:31
What a week!!! Eno....children!

My husband and I have been hit with a series of decisions that need to be made soon.. They are good positive 'growing" decisions but the suddenness and intensity..have us a bit discombobulated..and later today two of the biggest will be made ( that will be a great relief)..i slipped and really medicated myself yesterday with food.I as always rediscovered the uselessness of that behavior
My absolutely darling little granddaughter turned three this week, what a joy! This side of the family will fly to LV to celebrate it next month!! What a time we will have!!!
Eno..i so appreciate your sharing your life in this thread!

treefrog
Fri, Jun-16-06, 14:22
My week was good and bad.

My Mom came to visit Monday/Tuesday. I got to show off my new house, and be a great hostess. I didn't gain too much, although I did suffer from Carb-Crud, after a high carb dinner. Probably didn't gain because I didn't eat much the next day :help: .

Then Tuesday I found out that I had to go in for a repeat mammogram, and now I have to go for a needle biopsy to determine if the nodule that was found is benign or cancerous. Doctor says it is most likely benign, doesn't have indications of cancerous, but they can't know for sure without the biopsy. It's scheduled for next Wednesday. Hopefully I can get the results by early the following week.

Judynyc
Fri, Jun-16-06, 15:51
My week was good and bad.

My Mom came to visit Monday/Tuesday. I got to show off my new house, and be a great hostess. I didn't gain too much, although I did suffer from Carb-Crud, after a high carb dinner. Probably didn't gain because I didn't eat much the next day :help: .

Then Tuesday I found out that I had to go in for a repeat mammogram, and now I have to go for a needle biopsy to determine if the nodule that was found is benign or cancerous. Doctor says it is most likely benign, doesn't have indications of cancerous, but they can't know for sure without the biopsy. It's scheduled for next Wednesday. Hopefully I can get the results by early the following week.

I've had a needle biopsy Cathy.....mine was nothing and I hope that yours will be nothing too. :agree: :D

Good luck with your procedure and I'll be watching for a report from you.

treefrog
Fri, Jun-16-06, 20:50
Thanks Judy.

MeBLady
Fri, Jun-16-06, 23:48
What were your victories, stresses , struggles and joys this week?

Eating areas, or just life in general..

I'll bite....this week was a little rough as far as water retention. LAST week I was "skinny" and actually saw my lowest weight again, Monday arrived and I had the bloat from hell.

Been struggling with peri-menopausal symptoms for a few months now, this is my second cycle on progesterone cream.

Decided to put myself back into ketosis, and I'm finally, FINALLY, releasing all of this excess water.

Eating issues have been okay -- I started getting off track with Doritoes, seemed to have conquered my craving for them for the time being.

I did have a nice personal victory today. Got my daughter's grades from her first semester of college....all A's and B's. Not bad for a 16 yo homeschool graduate that is by far the youngest in all of her classes -- and performing completely at college level. Most of the public school students in our area are way under and have to take make up courses to bring them up to college level. She aspires to be the youngest employed RN in a few years....just achieved her first step towards that.

Jonahsafta
Sat, Jun-17-06, 06:15

Cathy ...I am so sorry...I am praying and will continue to pray for you..(((Cathy)))

Jonahsafta
Sat, Jun-17-06, 06:17
MeB.....what a wonderful accomplishment....your daughter sounds like a jewel!!!! you have done well by her obviously!!!!
:)

maree00
Sat, Jun-17-06, 06:28
Ditto on the not feeling good the next day after one drink when I used to feel fine after 6 drinks. But actually I find 3 vitamin C tabs before the drinking really helps and if you still feel bad the next day Excedrin helps to clear the cobwebs.

MeBLady
Sat, Jun-17-06, 08:10

My mom also had to have a needle biopsy and it turned out to be nothing.

Sounds like the doc is doing this to clear it as benign rather than suspect something serious. I imagine the waiting is hard, but hopefully you will be put at ease soon. I will also say some prayers for you, Cathy. {{{ }}}

MeB.....what a wonderful accomplishment....your daughter sounds like a jewel!!!! you have done well by her obviously!!!!
:)

She is a wonderfully motivated kid, and we are proud of her......I can't take all the credit for that, SHE did it! It does make me feel good that I did a good job educating her at home tho -- reinenforces that we made the right decision :-)

leslieam
Sat, Jun-17-06, 09:46
[Leslie raises her hand to contribute]

In case you do not know, I went to FL this past week. My MIL and her fiancee joined us. There were all kinds of temptations but I stayed on plan all week. What a feeling of accomplishment. The only time I almost caved was when I caught a whiff of Frito's :lol: .

Cathy - I'll be saying a prayer for you that all turns out okay.

Lori - you have a great daughter - that is wonderful news about her grades!!

MeBLady
Sat, Jun-17-06, 10:12
Ditto on the not feeling good the next day after one drink when I used to feel fine after 6 drinks. But actually I find 3 vitamin C tabs before the drinking really helps and if you still feel bad the next day Excedrin helps to clear the cobwebs.

I also experience the same thing with alcohol.....actually, kind of scary! Makes me feel like alcohol, even a little bit, is NOT good for the body at all
:-/.

Taking potassium, as well as the C, seems to help counteract the morning after effects with me.

Enomarb
Sat, Jun-17-06, 15:11
Cathy- the biospy thing is really scary. If it helps to laugh, think of the scene in my Big Fat Greek Wedding where the crazy aunt is talking about her bi-op-sy.
You are in my prayers- I get nervous for every mammogram.

Interesting ideas about the alcohol. I'll have to try the C- going out tonight and I will have a glass of wine. I love excedrine too- but it's so strange to feel hung-over on one drink! It must be something with being so low carb, don't you think?

leslieam
Sat, Jun-17-06, 15:51
It must be something with being so low carb, don't you think? I think it does have something to do with it. I am the very same way - one glass of wine and I am DONE!

Maybe the carbs we used to eat soaked up the alcohol? :q:

treefrog
Sat, Jun-17-06, 16:40
Thanks everyone for the prayers and support. I'm sure that they are just being thorough, and it will turn out to be benign. So far I think I am keeping the stress level down.

I get the same way with alcohol. Makes me a cheap date :lol: .

Potassium keeps you from becoming dehydrated, so it's actually good to take before drinking. Hangovers are at least partially because of dehydration. My boyfriend also takes them when he doesn't want to pee a lot (long movies, long trips, that sort of thing).

DarthRaidr
Sat, Jun-17-06, 19:10
Well, although I stuck w/ Atkins allowable foods... I read the "favorite induction food" thread last week, and I think I tried everyone of them ...So no loss this week.
I am stuck on the baked zucchini chip thingies YUMMY!!

Treefrog- Though I didn't think you looked bad in your before pictures, You look wonderful in your after and younger...GOOD GOING!!!!

Supermomm4
Sat, Jun-17-06, 20:29
Quite possibly the worst week of the year so far.

Lost my job due to layoffs on Monday. Waited anxiously for payday Thursday to find out my ex-husband did not pay the copays for the insurance and I had my wages garnished since I am the policy holder. I made a whole $345 this pay period and can't make the house or car payments for the month :(
Electric is due to be shutoff the 21st and the phone the 23rd ....

I am in a bad cycle right now with depression sinking in faster than I can catch it.

It can't last too long I hope :(

leslieam
Sat, Jun-17-06, 20:54
Supermomm - that is terrible! I assume you did not anticipate the lay-off? I just hate to read about this and hope that it all comes together for you very soon! :there:

MeBLady
Sat, Jun-17-06, 21:37
I think it does have something to do with it. I am the very same way - one glass of wine and I am DONE!

Maybe the carbs we used to eat soaked up the alcohol?

Oh yeah, it is the LC diet that makes us lightweights....something with the ketonic diet -- the alcohol is absorbed much more quickly in the liver making you drunk faster on a lesser amount.

leslieam
Sat, Jun-17-06, 21:39
Oh yeah, it is the LC diet that makes us lightweights....something with the ketonic diet -- the alcohol is absorbed much more quickly in the liver making you drunk faster on a lesser amount. I did NOT know that, Lori! Thanks for the info - very interesting. I agree with Cathy - I'm a cheap date for DH nowadays! :lol:

Jonahsafta
Sun, Jun-18-06, 05:26
(((((((((Supermom))))))) may you have a breakthrough this week..

Jonahsafta
Sun, Jun-18-06, 05:33
I love that the maintenance forum is active!

ValerieL
Sun, Jun-18-06, 09:26
((((((((Supermom))))))))

What a terrible week, I hope things start looking up soon.

I love that the maintenance forum is active too! I think it's a great resource and I was worried that the clash in the other thread send everyone scattering, but it looks like it's going to be okay!

Val

treefrog
Sun, Jun-18-06, 09:56
Supermomm, I hope things look up for you this week. :bhug:

I am also very happy that the maintenance forum is active. Not only to help those of us in maintenance, but also others for who aren't there yet. I'm sure it's got to be good to see lots of people who have made it, and also to get an idea of what it's like and what kinds of issues they might expect. It helps to show that this isn't a diet, and we've all gone back to our old way of eating, but truly a WOL.

ShayKNJ
Mon, Jun-19-06, 07:01
Supermom :there:

Hopefully things will get better for you. I too am a single mom and will be let go in 8-12 months. My company is closing. Usually when one door closes another one opens. Things usually will get worse before they get better but I am thinking about you and hope that things will start looking better soon.

Jonahsafta
Mon, Jun-19-06, 07:29
OK...I had hoped for resolution to our decisions...one is made for sure...the other still in process......this major life change business is disconcerting....

MeBLady
Mon, Jun-19-06, 08:57
I did NOT know that, Lori! Thanks for the info - very interesting. I agree with Cathy - I'm a cheap date for DH nowadays! :lol:

This one was covered in my LC book (PPLP)...warned to drink alcohol slowly, as it would hit you harder. Didn't realize that meant I would get smashed off of one rum/diet coke tho, LOLOL. Kind of scares me away from drinking too....the effects are so strong and so fast, and the way I feel the next day just doesn't seem like that is good for the body.

Supermom: Very sorry to hear of your lay off, I hope you are able to get another job very quickly!

Jonah: I am also glad to see our maintenance area very active....its actually refreshing to see us branch into various threads!

treefrog
Thu, Jun-22-06, 13:07
I had the biopsy yesterday, and aside from being a little sore today, I am doing alright. I should get the results tomorrow or Monday. If I don't hear from them by Tuesday I am supposed to call.

I am feeling much relieved, now that it is done, even though I still don't know the results. I think I was more worried about the procedure itself, the possible pain, than I was about the resultshttp://www.emotihost.com/clueless/4.gif. How crazy is that? :lol:

Enomarb
Thu, Jun-22-06, 15:21
Hi Cathy- thanks for telling us- I'm praying for you!

Supermomm- how are you doing? We are thinking about you, too

I am having a good week. Working too much (LOL!), but that is my choice. I have been on the computer everynight trying to get a vacation for our family. I DID IT! I got 5 airline tickets with points!!! They are on 2 different airlines- but the same flights!!! I had found a vacation that was sooo expensive and I had talked to my sister about it and her response was "so what...it's just money." So I thought about that and decided that she could take the vacation! So I found a house to rent by owner and got free tickets- yay.
Also DS got a job. It is p/t and filing type work, but it's a summer job. He decided to take the bus, and that is working ut really well. I am proud of him for doing this.
Friends have a house on a lake, and we are going there for the day on Saturday. She always has lots of junk and very little for me to eat, and never lets me bring anything, but this year I'm bringing a big salad for lunch and leaving before dinner. It takes me a while to get it, but I got it.
How about you? How is your week?

Judynyc
Thu, Jun-22-06, 16:46
Thanks for the update Cathy!! I was wondering how you are?

I'm keeping good thoughts for you ((((Cathy))))

No, I don't thin k that you're crazy for being afraid of the procedure. I was scared too and mine was only a needle biopsy. I'm happy for you that it's over. :agree:

Take good care!!

MeBLady
Thu, Jun-22-06, 16:54
Cathy -- glad to hear you are feeling relieved, certainly understandable that the procedure itself had you anxious, I don't think anybody would look forward to a biopsy. Still sending prayers your way, hopefully you will get the results quick to set your mind completely at ease.

Eno -- Congrats on getting your family vacation, and WTG on DS with the job and taking the bus to get there. My DD16 is taking the summer off from school, but she still works full time, goes to Karate five days a week, and I'm stuck as the taxi driver. She recently got her driver's license and bought her own car, but its currently getting painted and needs some maintenance before its safe for the road -- HOPEFULLY I can retire from taxi service soon and she can drive herself.

I've had a pretty good week. Our temperatures are soaring out here in the desert Southwest....good time to exercise indoors with the AC. DS18 was granted his full benefits (including lots of overtime) this week on his new job, which is a big deal to us -- he graduated early like DD, but was "bored" in college and dropped out, leaving him to bounce around in no where, unstable type jobs. Got laid off his last job right after he fanagled a local bank for a new car loan (who finances an 18 yo with no cosigner and no credit??) and literally got this new job just in time before he defaulted. Its nice to FINALLY not have to worry about him -- his employer pulled him out of probationary period way early cause he's doing so well, and its his first job where he is working among adults and learning a trade.

Eating wise, on track, I'm even being good on weekends. Exercising regularly.

All in all, one of those weeks where life is just good. No stress, no major worries, everybody is happy and healthy....something I've been needing for a long time, and its very nice :-)

Lori

Jonahsafta
Thu, Jun-22-06, 18:51
awesome Lori!!

treefrog
Fri, Jun-23-06, 20:48
I found out this evening that it is benign :D :thup: . I am very happy and relieved. Thank you all so much for all your thoughts and prayers.

Judynyc
Fri, Jun-23-06, 21:57
I found out this evening that it is benign :D :thup: . I am very happy and relieved. Thank you all so much for all your thoughts and prayers.

Yayy!!!:hyper: Happy for you Cathy!! :D

ShayKNJ
Sat, Jun-24-06, 05:58
Cathy-glad to hear everything is okay.

leslieam
Sat, Jun-24-06, 06:52
Cathy - so glad that everything is okay. That is wonderful news!!!!! :agree:

Jonahsafta
Sat, Jun-24-06, 07:28
(((((((((((((Cathy)))))))))))))))) Im jumping up and down for you!!

treefrog
Sat, Jun-24-06, 09:47
Hi everyone, thanks so much. I am very happy, of course. Now I can relax and enjoy the weekend.

Hope you all have a good weekend too.

mammac-5
Fri, Jun-30-06, 16:41
Oh my goodness, what a week! How's everybody else's going?

It's just been busy, busy, busy and I've been SOOOOOO fatigued. Checked blood sugar, cut back a bit on my workouts, trying to eat more (never thought that could be a problem for me!)...not yet sure what the deal is. Hoping to get a good night's rest tonight and be back to my annoyingly-energetic self again tomorrow.

Sister coming to visit. Taking the "big girls" down to sleep-away camp on Sunday afternoon. Right back on the hamster wheel come Monday a.m. But the office is closed Tuesday, so I'm thankful for that.

How all y'all doing?

Jonahsafta
Fri, Jun-30-06, 19:51
The cast finally came off MON!!! YES! I am building back strength in the leg...so far so good...but i can tell its weaker than the other...work life is a roller coaster but evened out by the end of the week...our life changing decisions continue to roll..I ate mostly good...but binged once when I was a wreck..foolishness doesnt pay in any way.

leslieam
Sat, Jul-01-06, 07:14
Hi everyone! Well I survived a heckuva a work week. Since it was month end, we were up to our eyeballs in work. Glad it's Saturday, that's for sure.

I do have to work on Monday but then I am off again on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to that day off - it'll be a day to relax.

Off to my MIL's today - I made a wonderful LC brocolli salad to take with me. We are having chicken cooked on the grill then a bunch of non-LC foods which I'll not bother listing. I'm sure it'll be a fun day of playing in the lake and having fun in the sun.

Everyone have a great day!!

ShayKNJ
Tue, Jul-04-06, 18:12
Well on Friday we packed up the van and began our trip to NC to check out the area. We drove to Virginia and stayed the night there and continued our trip on Saturday morning. Arrived around 11:30. Checked into the hotel in Cary, NC went to lunch and met with the realtor at 2 pm. He took us around until around 4:30 pm.

The homes he showed us were new, big and beautiful. You really can get a lot for your money there. The taxes are so cheap compared to NJ. I pay 6500 and there they were around 2000-2500.

Sunday we visited my BIL nephew and his wife. I talked with them about the area and his wife took us for a tour of the Apex/Cary area. A more desirable location. The homes turn around in 30 days. My BIL's nephew told him that the area the realtor took us to has gang violence in the high school (Fuquey Varina). Well, we won't be relocating there. I am bothered by this, he has to know. I will mention it when I do speak with him again. I might just use a different realtor next time.

Now I have to wait and see what job they offer me and when I would have to move. They already offered me one job that I turned down. It was a step backwards and they would need me to relocate and start by the end of the summer. That would be practically be impossible. This is why we decided to take the trip now and do the homework. I love the area, the communities and the developments. The weather even though it is hot it is not as humid like it is in NJ.

My girls are excited about the move. This will be the hardest thing I ever did especially being a single mother. To move far away from my family. My parents are not happy about it. Financially this is the best thing. This will be the best thing for our future too. We cleaned out some of our junk and have about 6 or 7 garbage bags full of junk. Little by little we will be throwing lots of things away.