PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Apnea

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HeyCE
Tue, Jan-08-02, 16:44
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone out there, like me, has sleep apnea. Since sleep apnea usually (though not always) is influenced by weight, I imagine there must be others out there who are dealing with the CPAP machine at night. My secondary goal to reaching my goal weight is to say goodbye to the CPAP forever. Would love to know if there is anyone else out there in low carb land with this same goal.

Thanks!! :o

Brett
Sat, Jan-12-02, 09:23
Hi there! I have sleep apnea, and use a CPAP machine. It's a bit of a pain, but after the first week or two I acclimated to it quite well. Now, I can't imagine sleeping without it. I also switched from a gel mask to nasal 'pillows', which greatly reduced the leakage that the mask always had. Took quite a while for my nostrils to get over the irritation, but I'm used to it now.

I too would like to eliminate the CPAP machine, but all other things being equal, I could live with it if I had too. Of course, being single makes it easier. I'd imagine a spouse might find it irritating, to say the least. Then again, before I got the CPAP, my snoring was known to wake the dead... so the whir of the machine is an improvement for sure.

Brett.

HeyCE
Sat, Jan-12-02, 13:41
Brett, I use the regular kind of mask but have gotten used to it, too. It took me awhile to get used to the machine. I had a silly case of claustrophobia at first, but now, no problem. I flew to Washington DC about a month after September 11 and the cpap caused quite a respectful sensation. They all but tore it apart as a soldier with his rifle near his hand watched. It was easier coming back to dfw. I hope to get rid of this before this year is out. I sure hope someone drops by soon who has successfully beat this thing. Still, I'm grateful I was finally diagnosed with sleep apnea as the misery is over with.

Lessara
Fri, Jan-18-02, 11:54
I was fitted for a CPaP machine (I own it actually) but every night I was waking up with a drowning sensation which was my asthma acting up and all. So I no longer use the machine. I wish I knew if there was a weight where I know I don't stop breathing in the night. Until then, I'm sleepily here. :D

Brett
Fri, Jan-18-02, 14:11
Hi Lessara,

I don't have asthma, so I can't say what effect that would have on using the CPAP. I very occasionally get strange wake ups sort of like what you mentioned. Not enough to bother me though.

CPAP machines need to be titrated properly for each user... if the pressure is too high, I believe it can result in central apneas . These are different from obstructive apneas in that the brain (or central nervous system) fails to trigger the breathing impulses. The end result is the same - failure to breath, with all that that entails.

I suspect that if^h^h when I lose a certain amount of weight, I'll need to go back in for a re-titration.

Brett.

MarkH
Wed, Mar-06-02, 01:33
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brett
CPAP machines need to be titrated properly for each user... if the pressure is too high, I believe it can result in central apneas .

Brett,

Where did you get this information? Central Apneas are quite rare. I've never heard of an obstructive apnea converting to a central. If you can remember where you heard or read this, I'd love a pointer.

-M.

Cajun
Wed, Mar-06-02, 12:37
Hi .. well as the spouse of someone who wears the mask that I think is a cross between an aliens movie and the sound darth vader makes... I can let you know that it DOES get better. My husband had SEVERE sleep apnea.. now he has taken trips and not brought his machine, and been able to sleep through the night. He also had reflux which has dissappeared with this woe. He has lost about 30 pounds :hyper: .. gone from a size 44 to a size 40.. and inching towards those 38's. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

wangeci
Wed, Mar-06-02, 13:44
Carolyn,
You don't seem that overweight, that your weight would cause sleep apnea, although that is one cause there are others also. I do not have sleep apnea, but know many people who do . But, at any rate, I will pray that your loss of weight will help you rid yourself of the CPAP machine for good.

Good luck.
Cindy

Sonny
Wed, Mar-06-02, 18:39
I am also tied to a CPAP machine. I have used it for years and can't even take a nap without it. I have used both a mask and nasal pillows. It was rough getting used to the nasal pillows but I like them best. Just the thought of maybe getting rid of that thing is motivation enough to stay on this WOE :yay:
Camping is tough if ya can't sleep:yawn:.
Did you know it's important to have the pressure on your machine calibrated every six months? I ask because I had used one for about 3 years before I was informed....

My DW says I sound like Darth Vader too.