PDA

View Full Version : If you consume more fat than you burn off???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

collegeguy
Tue, Jan-08-02, 16:17
Then what happens? I have been reading Dr. Atkin's book and he never mentions what happens if you consume more fat than can be burned off that day. He only says, "When you get hungry, eat." Does your body then store the fat? I am on day 6 of the Induction diet and this is the only concern that I am worried about. I have only gone down to 223 from 225.... I just want to be sure I am doing this right. Thanks. :)

agonycat
Tue, Jan-08-02, 16:23
The body will not store fat unless there is insulin in the blood. There shouldn't be any insulin in your blood *IF* you are doing the diet correctly.

To quote Natrushka: (waves to Nat!)

The reasoning behind eating all this fat is twofold. One it fills you up - you can only eat so much fat Two, it is metabolically inert. Fat causes no change in insulin levels in your body. Fat (or anything else) cannot be stored as fat in the absence of insulin. And since only carbs will produce a rise in insulin you can safely eat those good tasting fats and still lose body fat.

So if you don't burn it, it goes out without effecting your system :)

Natrushka
Tue, Jan-08-02, 16:51
Just to add to what Agony wrote, collegeguy: What your body needs in calories every day to function would astound you. At 180 lbs I typically burn off over 3000 calories when you factor in my BMR (basal metabolic rate) my lifestyle, and my activities (weight lifting today). I have NEVER been able to eat 3000 calories a day - I think once I got close to 2500 ;)

When you cut out the carbs and processed foods your calories have to come from protein and fats. You should always ensure you're getting sufficient protein for your body to function. The minimum for a woman is 60g a day. You can figure out your requirement by multiplying at least .6g (the number goes up if you're more active. i.e. .8 if you're moderately active, .9 if you're involved in a competitive sport) of protein by your Lean Body Mass (LBM = your weight minus your body fat). Once you satisfy your protein requirement that leaves fat to make up the rest of the calories you need every day. The number of calories varies; a good rule of thumb is 10 - 12 times your body weight a day. Atkin's says don't count calories; you'll see many of us do - this is to ensure we're getting enough food. Too little food will stress your body making fat loss more difficult - and ultimately leading to lean muscle loss (a very bad thing).

So eat up your fat and remember, it's your friend :)

HTH
Nat

collegeguy
Tue, Jan-08-02, 17:24
wow, that is great information. Today I have had less then 10g of carbs so I think I am good and I have been trying to eat a lot of fatty foods, mostly hamburger meat, chicken, deviled eggs (my favorite), and the occasional chicken Caesar Salad. I just need to be patient :)

Natrushka
Tue, Jan-08-02, 18:05
Patience is definitely a good quality to develop ;)

Try to aim for those 20g, though. Eating less than 30g of carbs a day really wont speed up your fat loss - do Induction by the book and enjoy the food - let's face it, fat tastes good!

And don't neglect your water - 64 oz a day (8 glasses) minimum. the more you drink the more you'll flush out - this is the secret to whooshes (apparent overnigh losses of 2 - 4 lbs).

You can also count yourself fortunate; you've got "being a guy" on your side - more lean muscle means higher metabolism than most women and faster fat loss.

Nat

collegeguy
Tue, Jan-08-02, 20:19
Thank you Faith. :) I am glad I found this board.