PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please - South Beach or Atkins?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sweetums52
Mon, Apr-24-06, 14:02
I am trying to figure out which plan to go with. I only have 15 pounds to lose, but it is getting more and more difficult as I am 53 and post-menopause and my job is sedentary. I realize the importance of lowering carbs and I see that both plans have the 2 week very low carb induction, but from there the difference I see is one is low fat and the other is higher fat. What would you suggest???? Any comments on which to chose and why would be appreciated.

foxgluvs
Mon, Apr-24-06, 14:19
I think it's all relative to your lifestyle. If you prefer the comfort of fat and heavier meals, then atkins is for you, if however you prefer lower fat and more freedom to have as many good veggies and some fruit and grains, then SB will be for you.

I have done both, atkins for 14 months and then SB for the past 11 or so months and both have been good, I just got tired of not being able to eat liberal amounts of veggies. I prefer not to have to worry about carb counts so much, towards the end of atkins I was bored of the food and eating such low carbs.

In the end I think the best thing to do is to get both books, have a read and figure out which one you could do long term.

red2680
Mon, Apr-24-06, 14:32
I think it's all relative to your lifestyle.
Foxgluvs stated it well.
I am on Atkins, have been for 6 months now. I have lost 50+ pounds and I am very happy with it.
Find what fits your LIFE best and make this a lifestyle change and you will have great success with either plan.
Good Luck!!! I wish you lots of success!!!

Judynyc
Mon, Apr-24-06, 14:54
While it is relative to lifestyle, we all need to step our how much we move our bodies.

You are halfway to your goal and you do need to get yourself moving...someway. Either plan will work for you when you start to move your body!!

I started my plan 2 years ago, I was 54 yrs old at that time. It took me a bit longer than those on atkins but I made it to my goal weight in 20 months total. I do walk alot...about 4-5 hours 5 days a week.

Both plans are good. I think that for those with diabetes or other illnesses, atkins is more strict and a better choice, IMHO. But if you are like me and don't have physical ailments, SBD is a great plan!!

In maintenance, both plans are very similar. Its the road we take to get there thats a bit different. :idea: