PDA

View Full Version : Daily progress log

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pegm
Mon, Jan-07-02, 15:59
Began BFL on Sunday. Started with 20 min. aerobics -- walk/run on treadmill. Decided on Sunday - Friday for scheduled exercise and Saturday as day off, and to begin with the aerobics because it will fit in better with our schedules. If we go camping this summer, I can do weight training Friday a.m., take Saturday as day off, and do walk/run at campgrounds on Sunday a.m. to begin weekly cycle again -- too difficult to take weights camping (camper too small, no room to use them).

Am thinking about doing PP eating plan with about 60 carbs. I'll have to see how it works and tweak it after a few days -- might still be too many carbs. Also am using Myoplex for 1 meal each day -- I'll see how that goes. It is day 2, and I'm having a hard time eating that 4th afternoon 'meal' -- might need to revise 'lunch' to smaller portions, but I haven't been eating as much as he recommends now, so maybe PP will work better. Also noticed my pants were tight this morning -- 'carb bloat'? Had about 3 times more carbs than I am accustomed to yesterday, and weekends are more difficult to get the water in, so I probably did not have enough water. I'll post my first BFL weight workout tomorrow.

pegm
Tue, Jan-08-02, 12:03
Menu went o.k., but am really having a difficult time getting in 6 'meals' per day. The morning goes o.k., but by evening, I'm just not hungry. Last night, could not eat the last 'meal' (not even a protein shake) -- not sure what to do about it. Only ate a small dinner, so that's not it -- I just don't get hungry in the evening. I waited for 1 hour after the weight session before eating, and I still had a hard time forcing the food down.

Had a small salad of mixed greens with Balsamic Vinegarette dressing, 1/4 cup sweet potatoes, small portion of roasted chicken breast, water.

Did upper body last night and a.m. cardio this morning and I hurt all over! Not a bad hurt, just some sore muscles, which I think, is supposed to be a good thing. I'm beginning to understand the logic of circuit training -- doubt I could do upper body again tomorrow!
Here's what I did:
Bench press
12 x 5
10 x 10
8 x 10
6 x 15
12 x 10

Flys
12 x 10

Seated Dumbell press
12 x 5
10 x 10
8 x 10
6 x 10
12 x 10

Side raises
12 x 5

Dumbell row
12 x 5
10 x 10
8 x 15
6 x 15
12 10

Wide lat pulldown
12 x 20
12 x 40

Lying dumbell extensions
12 x 2.5
10 x 5
8 x 5
6 x 10
12 x 10
12 x 10

Seated dumbell curls
12 x 5
10 x 10
8 x 10
6 x 15
12 x 10

Standing dumbell curls
12 x 10

This morining:

20 minutes on treadmill -- had a difficult time this morning; did not reach 10 -- felt a bit dizzy and nauseated, and I don't know why; at times had to hang onto side rails and close my eyes to focus. Was not especially happy with workout, so plan to do Tai Bo when I get home.

Planned menu for today:

Had 1/2 cup Eggbeaters omelet
1 slice ww toast

1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 orange

Rest of today's meals will be:
Roasted chicken breast
1/4 cup sweet potatoes
1/2 cup green beans

Myoplex shake

Baked cod
Zuchinni patties (from lc cookbook)
Broccoli

Carb solutions shake

Natrushka
Tue, Jan-08-02, 12:09
Peg, I know the eating can be tough, but in a few weeks you'll actually be hungry and looking for it. It is ok to have that last meal right before you go to bed on this program. You may have to change the frequency of your meals; instead of making it 3 hours between them aim for 2.5 at the start.

As for hitting your 10's; it can take some practice. I wouldn't do any extra cardio though - more is NOT better (it leads to muscle loss, exactly what you do not want).

Hang in there and WTG on two days :)
Nat

pegm
Wed, Jan-09-02, 12:24
Thanks for the encouragement, Nat! I took your advice and skipped the extra cardio. I understand from reading BFL that you might not always reach the 10, but because I felt so dizzy yesterday during the cardio, I felt I did not even come close. But you are right about not overdoing it and losing muscle, so I just chalked it up to one bad day and I'll go on from there.

For today: cannot do weight training until ~9:00 p.m. It's Accounting's year end and I'm working so many extra hours! Came in at 6:30 a.m., work until 5:00 p.m., then go straight to my daughter's house to babysit my 5 month old grandaughter until about 8:30. Will do weights when I get home.

Planned lower body training:
Dumbell squats

12 - 5
10 - 10
8 - 15
6 - 15
12 - 10
Leg extensions: 12 x 50

Dumbell Lunges
12 -10
10 - 10
8 - 10
6 - 15
12 - 10
Straight-leg deadlifts: 12 x 10

1-leg calf raises:
12 - 10
10 - 10
8 - 15
6 - 15
12 - 10
Angled Calf Raise: 12 x 10

Floor crunches:
12, 10, 8, 6, 12
Bent knee raises: 12

Upper body muscles still sore, but a little better -- I now have hope that they will be o.k. by Friday when I do upper body again.

Meals for today:

2 egg omelet
1 slice ww toast

1/2 cup cottage cheese
blueberry yogurt (without sugar)

3 oz. baked cod
1 zuchinni patti (zuchinni, egg, Atkins bake mix, fried in olive oil)
1/2 cup cauliflower

Myoplex shake

Roast chicken breast
1/2 cup sweet potato
1/2 cup cauliflower

Protein shake (Carb Solutions)

pegm
Thu, Jan-10-02, 12:37
Made it through my first lower body workout last night! Couldn't get to it until 9:00 p.m., but I did it! Had a hard time walking up those stairs afterward -- muscles felt like rubber, so it must have done something. I am having a hard time with some of the exercises because my sense of balance is so bad -- I tend to tip over. It's probably because of winter allergies -- my ears are plugged all winter from them.

Getting up at 4:30 a.m. to do the cardio was a little tough -- I wasn't sure how my legs would handle the walk/jog/sprint on the treadmill with so little rest after the lower body workout, but it went well -- actually better than Tuesday's because I did hit the '10'. I must have miscounted somewhere along the line because I was at minute 20 when I hit the 10 and did one extra minute for the '5' cooldown.

Tomorrow is the second upper body workout. My muscles are still sore from the last one, but are getting better. I will take Nat's advice and get some glutamine this weekend. Looking forward to having Saturday 'off'! Menu for today:

Myoplex shake

Veggies (broccoli, snap peas, celery, carrots)
Cottage Cheese

Chicken salad with Balsamic Vineagarette dressing

Swiss cheese with Wasa crackers
Pear

T-Bone steak
Salad
Corn

Carb Solutions Protein Shake

fern2340
Thu, Jan-10-02, 20:36
Congrats on your first LBWO Peg! Just wanted to let you know that I have been reading your gym log and I think you're doing GREAT!!!!

Keep up the good work!
Linda

Natrushka
Thu, Jan-10-02, 21:20
Peg, the glutamine will make a world of difference - and you don't even notice it if you use a large enough water bottle.

Nat

pegm
Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:22
Nat,

Thanks again for the advice -- I bought some gluatime last night. It was the powdered from Twin Labs (Walgreens had it on clearance for 1/2 price!). The directions on the bottle said to take 1 teaspoon. I took it last night, then again this morning. Is that how much you take, just the 1 teaspoon per day? I hope it helps because I am worse today -- my leg muscles are so sore that I'm using the handicaped stall in the ladies room -- walking, getting up and down, bending, etc. is very difficult. Is this something that will happen every time I do the lower body workout, or will it get better as I gain muscle? I know that I should expect some soreness, if I am understanding things correctly that you need to cause some muscle damage so it will grow, but will I reach a point when it will only be mildly annoying? If so, how long did that take?

Thanks again for your help.

Natrushka
Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:32
*lol* Peg, Oh can I ever relate to that - I could not walk down the stairs after that first LBWO, going up wasnt bad.... but down? forget it.

Glutamine is taken based on the forumla .3g per lb of LBM - divide the dose into 3 and take it during the day (have one before bed and be sure to have one after working out) I throw mine into my shakes as well.

It will help big time - and no you wont feel like this after every workout (you'll feel it more though when you change your exercises every 4 weeks) Yes, the soreness is a sign that you've caused microtears in your muscles and they are now repairing - most of this happens while you're sleeping (so those 8 hours are critical) If the pain is unmanageable, Peg, take an advil or tylenol - you don't have to suffer!

I feel my workouts now - but nothing like that first few days. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Nat

pegm
Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:37
Friday:

Planned upper body workout same as Monday:

Bench press:
12 x 5
10 x 10
8 x 10
6 x 15
12 x 10

Flys: 12 x 10

Seated DB Press:
12 x 5
10 x 10
8 x 10
6 x 10
12 x 10

Side raises: 12 x 5

DB Row:
12 x 5
10 x 10
8 x 15
6 x 15
12 x 10

Pullover: 12 x 10

Lying DB extension:
12 x 5
10 x 10
8 x 10
6 x 15
12 x 10
12 x 10

Seated DB curls:
12 x 10
10 x 10
8 x 10
6 x 10
12 x 10

Standing DB curls: 12 x 10

As for the food, I really need to reduce my portions. I did eat the planned T-Bone last night, but only a few bites -- I was just too full!

Today's menu:

Omelete (1/2 cup Eggbeaters)
1/2 grapefruit

Myoplex

Chef salad (mixed greens and leftover T-Bone) w/Ranch dressing

1/2 cup cottage cheese
Raw veggies (broccoli, carrots, snow peas)

Turkey tender (from Sam's Club -- turkey wrapped in bacon, looks like a filet mignon)
Mixed veggies

Carb Solutions protein shake

Will take weight and measurements tomorrow a.m. It's my 'free' day, and as Nat said, I believe my favorite part will be not having to eat so many meals! It's my son-in-law's graduation party tomorrow and I'm babysitting my 5 month old grandaughter -- she's staying overnight. I'll probably need to go in to work Sunday afternoon to try to get caught up. Will do 20 min. cardio Sunday a.m. -- if Ally wakes up before I'm done, my husband will take care of her.

pegm
Mon, Jan-14-02, 12:23
Made it through my first week! Took my measurements on Saturday a.m., and lost 3 inches!!!!!!!! I can hardly believe it -- is that possible????? (I did not lose any weight -- just the inches). Wow -- that really makes it worthwhile. I doubt I will get the same results each week, but that's very encouraging.

Nat is right about the free day -- the best part about it is not having to eat! Never in my life did I ever think I would be ready to beg someone 'Please, don't make me eat any more!!!' I did not eat breakfast, and had my one indiscretion -- a slice of pizza for lunch (and I even ate the crust). Supper was at my son-in-law's graduation party -- turkey cold cuts, cheese, veggies and dip, and -- oh, yes -- I even drank a beer!

Sunday was cardio:

20 minutes on the new cycle my husband bought. I did have a problem with it, though, and I'll stick to the treadmill from now on. The hamstring in my right leg has been bothering me ever since I used it. A year ago Thanksgiving I fell on the ice and ripped my hamstring so badly that I lost over a unit of blood from the tear -- couldn't even drive a car for 2 weeks -- and it took months to heal. It did not bother me at all until I rode that bike.

Planned lower body and abs workout for today when I get home from work (same as last Wednesday). My husband started back to work today, so I am back to taking my grandson to before school daycare. He leaves for work at 5:00 a.m., so I have to get Bobby up, get his breakfast, pack his snack, and get him to the daycare -- makes mornings more hectic again.

Food for Monday:

Egg beaters omelet
1/2 cup mixed fruit (frozen, thawed -- melon and peaches)

Myoplex

Roast beef, turnips, carrots

Roast beef, raw veggies (broccoli, snow peas, celery)

Roast chicken, salad w/blue cheese dressing, mixed veggies

CS protein shake

pegm
Tue, Jan-15-02, 12:24
Well, I definitely injured that hamstring. It is very tender, and I could not do the lunges yesterday during my LBW yesterday, and had problems with the sprints on the treadmill this morning. It is even irritating it just sitting on my chair (when I first tore it, I could not sit in a chair unless I had a footrest for my right foot so the back of my thigh did not touch the chair). I don't believe it is torn again, probably just a bit strained. Hope it heals fast, though. I'll give it a couple of days, then try some easy stretches and see how it goes. In the meantime, I'll just work around it -- do the upper body, the lower body exercises that don't irritate it, the cardio, and the abs.

pegm
Wed, Jan-16-02, 12:27
Planned workout for tonight: Upper Body (same as last). Hamstring is still tender -- started taking Ibuprophen to get swelling down. Won't need to worry about it until Friday -- I'll see how it goes.

Am changing the timing of the Myoplex from afternoon to morning. I don't know if anyone else has tried these and had the same reaction, but I noticed that about an hour after I have one, I feel very hungry -- maybe they give me an insulin reaction?

Menu:

1/2 cup cottage cheese w/4 strawberries

Myoplex shake

Chef salad w/mixed greens, broiled chicken breast, ranch dressing

1/2 cup cottage cheese w/raw veggies (broccoli, snow peas, celery)

Grilled pork chop, 1/2 cup canned corn, 1 cup green beans

CS protein shake

Natrushka
Wed, Jan-16-02, 12:43
Originally posted by pegm
Am changing the timing of the Myoplex from afternoon to morning. I don't know if anyone else has tried these and had the same reaction, but I noticed that about an hour after I have one, I feel very hungry -- maybe they give me an insulin reaction?

I noticed this, Peg. I found if I had my shake for breakfast #2 it caused me problems, so I started having it for #1 with some fat (bacon or an egg) and then having some 'real' food for #2.

It's all part of the tweaking.

Sorry to hear about the hamstring. Hopefully the combination of glutamine and ibuprophen will help.

Nat

pegm
Mon, Jan-21-02, 12:20
Been very bad about posting updates on weekends. The hamstring (thank God) is much better! Did a complete LBWO on Friday including the lunges with no problem. It really was a very good workout!

Was a very busy weekend: went with my oldest daughter and her husband to look at a house. They put in an offer -- hope it's accepted because they really want the house! Came in to work on the weekend -- it's been so busy!

Did the cardio yesterday on the exercycle (lowered the seat and thought it would be okay on the hamstring -- my husband thought that the seat was too high and that is what caused the problem). I was alright for 14 minutes, then it started to bother me, so I had to stop before I hurt it again. Which means, unfortunately, I did not reach my 10. The only reason I tried the bike again is I've read that you should 'mix up' your cardio and not do the same thing each time, and it's my only alternative to the treadmill. Guess for now though, I'll just stick with the treadmill.

Menu for today:

2 egg omelet and 1 strip bacon

Myoplex shake (I'm doing fine with it as my second meal)

Shrimp with cocktail sauce; veggies and dip

Cottage cheese and veggies

Grilled pork chop, salad, corn

CS protein shake

pegm
Tue, Jan-22-02, 12:15
UBWO went great! I am slowly increasing the weight for some of the exercises.

Overslept this morning and was too late to do cardio :mad: , so I'll have to do it when I get home from work tonight. Having a lot of touble with retaining water -- got TOM for the 1st time in 8 months (darn -- I really thought I was done this time!) -- I've upped the water intake, but I know I'm still retaining (the scale and my clothes say so -- and my jeans were getting loose). I know it will go away in a couple of days, but I just don't feel like myself in the mean time.

Menu for today:

Myoplex shake (no time for regular breakfast -- running late)

cottage cheese

Left over pork chop, cauliflower, broccoli

cottage cheese and raw veggies (broccoli, celery)

spare ribs and sauerkraut (take it easy, it's salty and you're already retaining water!), turnips

CS protein shake

pegm
Wed, Jan-23-02, 12:36
Great cardio workout yesterday -- I did hit 10! Planned LBWO tonight after work. The hamstring is better -- it's easier to put my socks on (it was too tight to bend the leg very much a few days ago), but it still is just a bit irritated.

Been having odd symptoms the past couple of days. I've been short of breath at times. Not every time, but once in a while I find myself gasping for breath just from going up a flight of stairs. That's why I was so excited about hitting 10 on the treadmill -- I was concerned that I would run out of breath, but it was okay -- I was 'winded' but no more that usual after sprinting. Last night when I went to bed, I felt like my breathing was not quite right when I laid down. There are so many colds going around -- wonder if I'm coming down with one, or could be allergies or asthma (I've never had asthma before, but could be allergy induced)?

Menu for today:

Myoplex shake

Cottage cheese w/4 strawberries

Left over spare ribs, sauerkraut, and turnips

Shrimp w/cocktail sauce; veggies w/dip

Chicken Paprika w/whole wheat noodles; salad; broccoli

CS protein shake

pegm
Thu, Jan-24-02, 12:03
LBWO went great -- I increased the weight on the One-Leg Calf Raises, the Dumbell Squats, and the Leg Pull. It was a very good workout -- I was pretty shaky afterward. I'm a little more sore today than I have been the past week -- I'll keep taking the Gluatime.

Did wind sprints on treadmill this morning (at 4:30 a.m.!). I did hit a 10 because it took all of my effort to finish the last sprint, but I do notice a big difference between the cardio first thing in the morning and after work. If I do cardio later in the day, I can go faster than when it's first thing in the morning.

Had go into work early because I have a commitment after work today and cannot stay later than 5:00, and I need to leave for a while this afternoon. My brother gets his test results from the genetic testing for Huntington's Disease, and I'm meeting him at the clinic so I can be there for him (I am about 99% certain that the test will be positive -- he's been showing some symptoms for the past year).

Menu for today:

Mypolex shake

Cottage cheese w/fruit (berries, melon)

Chicken breast, broccoli

Shrimp (boiled), veggies and dip (broccoli, carrots, celery)

Salad, hamburger

Protein shake

fern2340
Thu, Jan-24-02, 17:34

Did wind sprints on treadmill this morning (at 4:30 a.m)

Good for you!!! I do cardio around 5:45 and that PLENTY early for me!

pegm
Mon, Jan-28-02, 12:23
Busy weekend, so updating from Friday:

Good UBWO -- increased weight for dumbell rows, pulldowns, and curls -- I definitely hit '10' at least a couple of times! The hardest part is the dumbell rows because I need to add weight plates for them. I also discovered (Duh -- why didn't I think of this sooner?) that the weights I thought I was using are probably not correct! I'm using weight plates that add onto a dumbell 'bar', and if I used 2 - 2-1/2 pound plates I listed it as 5 pounds. But my husband pointed out that the bar also has (quite a bit) of weight and it is 8 pounds instead of 5 when the weight of the bar is taken into account! In that case, I need to revise the weights I thought I have been using.

Saturday -- day off -- did not eat much (what a relief for a change!)

Did wind sprints on the treadmill yesterday a.m.

Today: Planned LBWO -- I'll revise the weights and post the new ones tomorrow.

Menu for today:

Myoplex shake

1/2 cup cottage cheese

Leftover 'kabobs' (sirloin steak, zuchinni, mushrooms -- 3 of each)

Cottage cheese and veggies (broccolie, carrots, celery)

Lasagna (made with zuchinni for 'noodles', Italian sausage, tomato puree, Ricotta, Parmesan, and Mozarella cheeses, seasonings)

CS protein shake

pegm
Sun, Feb-03-02, 16:02
Been very bad about keeping up with log -- working way too much overtime the past couple of weeks. LBWO was fine. I'll need to change my routine now that I have 4 weeks in.

I'll be planning new workouts and posting soon.

Update of inches lost at 4 weeks:

1/4 inches from each upper arm
1/2 inch from bust
1 inch from chest
1 inch from waist
1 inch from hips
2 inches from each thigh
none from calves

Total: 8-1/2 inches lost in 4 weeks!!!!!

pegm
Mon, Feb-04-02, 14:04
Thanks to Nat's links, I have a new UBWO plan for the next 4 weeks:

Chest:
Incline DB Press: 12 x 5, 10 x 8, 8 x 10, 6 x 15, 12 x 10
Pullover: 12 x 10

Shoulders:
Arnold Press: 12 x 5, 10 x 8, 8 x 10, 6 x 17.5, 12 x 10
Front Raises: 12 x 10

Back:
Lying Row: 12 x 5, 10 x 8, 8 x 10, 6 x 15, 12 x 10
Reverse Pulldown: 12 x 40

Triceps:
Extensions: 12 x 3, 10 x 5, 8 x 8, 6 x 10, 12 x 8
Kickback: 12 x 8

Biceps:
Hammer Curls: 12 x 5, 10 x 8, 8 x 10, 6 6 12.5, 12 x 10
Concentration Curls: 12 x 10

These are beginning weights -- I'll adjust as needed after 1st workout later today.

Menu so far:
Mock Danish
2 slices bacon

cottage cheese; 3 mini carrots

Myoplex shake

Planned for remainder of day:

cottage cheese; 3 strawberries

Home made chicken noodle soup (made with home made protein noodles); salad

protein shake

pegm
Mon, Feb-04-02, 16:31
Just finished new routine -- definitely need to revise the weights -- only hit '10' for Shoulders and Biceps. Revised weights next time will be:

Chest: 8-10-12.5-15-12.5
Back: 10-12.5-15-20-12.5 for rows and 50 for pulldown
Triceps: 5-8-10-12.5-10

Found Concentration Curls very good for biceps -- I could really feel the muscle working.

The Lying Row did not seem to work very well -- I might go back and revise the back exercises -- try to find something else. Boy, will I be glad when my gym finally opens -- I think access to new equipment will really help. I am having trouble revising the LBWO -- without more equipment I am really limited!

pegm
Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:30
First LBWO with new routine went well.

Quads:
Step ups (used step stool -- worked find most of the time, but once I hit my shin HARD! Be more carefull):
12 x 5, 10 x 10, 8 x 12.5, 6 x 15, 12 x 12.5
Squats: 12 x 25

Hamstrings:
Leg extension: 12 x 40, 10 x 50, 8 x 60, 6 x 70, 12 x60
Rear Lunge: 12 x 25

Calves: (this is the only one I could not find alternate exercise)
Angled Calf Raise: 12 x 5, 10 x 10, 8 x 12.5, 6 x 15, 12 x 12.5
One-Leg Calf Raise: 12 x 12.5

Abs:
Crunches: 12, 10, 8, 6, 12
Side Raises: 12 each side x 15 pounds

Need to increase weight for leg extensions, side raises, and calf raises. I need to get more individual weights -- need a 15 pound and a 20 pound set.

Menu today:

Mock Danish

1/4 c. cottage cheese; 3 strawberries

Left-over pork chop, cauliflower with cheese, green beans

Myoplex shake

Stir fry with chicken & stir fry veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, bean sprouts)

CS protein shake

Natrushka
Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:37
The Lying Row did not seem to work very well -- I might go back and revise the back exercises -- try to find something else.

Peg, I was never a big fan of this one either - try the bent over row (with a barbell works best if you have one) I noticed this right away.

Aren't those tricep kickbacks a killer? Oh I love that feeling!

Here's a trick for the calf raises, bend your leg 30-45 degrees - it isolates the calf muscle and works it that much more. Also with the angled calf raises you can change the direction of your toes - point them in to work things differently.

Nat

pegm
Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:30
Nat,

Thanks so much for the advice! Yes, I do love the kickbacks!

Will try the Tai-Bo for the first time when I get home from work tonight.

Having a problem this week, though, and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm drinking plenty of water (at least 100 oz. per day), but I'm retaining water. I can tell that my clothes are fitting much tighter the past 2 days -- I couldn't even wear my black jeans today because they were too tight! And I'm not going to the bathroom nearly as much even though I'm drinking the same amout of water or more.

Wondering if I should cut back a bit on the carbs for a couple of days to see if that is the problem -- maybe try 40 - 50 per day? Or is that too low? I believe that my carb count has been accurate and I'm not cheating at all, so I'm not sure why I'm suddenly retaining the water. Haven't eaten a bunch of sodium either (not hot dogs, lunch meats, canned tuna, etc.). Nothing has really changed from the past few weeks.

It's going to be difficult to get the carb count down with Myoplex, because that has 20 carbs in one shake! Maybe I'll just use the Carb Solutions shakes for a while to get the carb count down (they're only 2 or 4 carbs depending on the flavor). Does anyone one else have any ideas or suggestions?

Natrushka
Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:59
Muscles need water - you could be in for some growth, Peg. Does there happen to be an Creatine in your new shakes? It can cause bloating.

I would keep up what you're doing and ride it out - there are days I feel like this too. They ususally pass in 24 hours and fat goes with the water when I lose it.

Try using the old shake for a few days and see what happens.

Nat

pegm
Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:24
Been so long since I added to this that I can't remember where I left off! Well, I was going to do the TaiBo on Thursday after work, but I woke up very early (4:00 a.m.) and was WIDE awake! I decided to do the workout then instead of after work because I could babysit my six month old grandaughter that evening without having to worry about her getting fussy and then I would miss my workout. Since TaiBo at that hour did not appeal to me, I did the wind sprints on the treadmill instead.

Friday's UBWO went very well. I used the revised weights and did as Nat suggested -- did the dumbell row instead of the lying row, and it was much better. Also got some new weights over the weekend now (now I have 3, 5, 8, 20, 15, and 20 as regular weights, and have the set that I can add plates to for over 20 pounds). Now I won't lose time adding and subtracting weight plates.

Went to the 5:00 Saturday evening church so I could do the TaiBo on Sunday a.m. It seemed to go well, and I think I'll like having that little bit of variety instead of just doing the treadmill 3 x's a week.

Have a small problem with next weekend. We have to go on a church bus trip on Sunday -- go the the 8:30 church service, then the PCCW will serve us breakfast, then the bus leaves for La Crosse -- it's about a 2 hour drive. We will go to a special service there with the Bishop, and I believe there's a reception with food. It's going to be an all day trip -- we won't get home until 7:30 in the evening. My concern is that all of the food we'll be served will be loaded with carbs. I don't really have anyone to ask ahead of time what the 'menu' is, and there probably is not anything I could do about it if it is loaded with carbs. I really can't take 5 meals worth of food along in my purse! If Sunday was my day off it would not be a problem -- I could just pick at the food and eat very small portions and supplement it with beek jerky and nuts if I get hungry. But I've been taking Saturday off instead of Sunday. What I'm wondering is if just next weekend I could switch -- use PP WOE and do the cardio on Saturday, and take Sunday as my day off. I can't really think of any other solution. What do you think? Will that work just this one time?

pegm
Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:45
LBWO went much better. New weights:

Quads:
Step-ups: 12x16, 10x20, 8x30, 6x40, 12x30
Squats: 12 x 30

Hamstrings:
Leg Extensions: 12x55, 10x60, 8x65, 6x75, 12x65
Rear Lunge: 12x30

Calves:
Angled Calf Raise: 12x20, 10x30, 8x40, 6x50, 12x40
One-Leg Calf Raise: 12x20

Abs:
Crunches: 12, 10, 8, 6, 12
Side Bends 12 x 20

Natrushka
Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:57
use PP WOE and do the cardio on Saturday, and take Sunday as my day off. I can't really think of any other solution. What do you think? Will that work just this one time?

Peg, this program has to work for you - if it isnt something you can live with then it's no longer fun, right? Switch the days - and enjoy your Sunday :)

Nat

pegm
Wed, Feb-13-02, 09:23
Got the flu!!!! Been SO SICK!!! Started to feel sick on a little Monday, woke up ~3:00a.m. on Tuesday with the worst sore throat I've ever had and that sick all over feeling. Missed work yesterday and stayed home again today.

Coffee in the a.m. tasted good and felt good on the throat. Tried just one sip of water and almost lost it, so water was out! Thank God for diet 7-Up -- sipped it all day and night -- drank almost 2 liters! That and a little soup was all I could manage yesterday. Today so far I've only had a bit of coffee and diet 7-Up -- woke up over and over again last night and felt like I was being roasted -- SO HOT! Been getting sharp pains in the stomach and still queasy. Needless to say, between being sick and unable to even consider eating protein, the workouts are on hold for now. I'll probably just take the rest of this week off to recover and start again next week -- instead of a 12 week program, this will be a 13 week one for me.

pegm
Tue, Feb-19-02, 12:04
Still sick -- this is really hanging on! I freeze all day and roast all night -- can't sleep and I'm SO tired. Coughing, trouble breathing, nauseated from time to time yet. Did not go on the church trip to La Crosse -- was still too sick -- sent Bobby with husband.

Still holding off on the exercise, and I'm getting really depressed -- want to get back into it, but know the cardio is out. Wouldn't be able to get through it when I'm coughing so much. If the nausea settles down and I can eat enough protein I might start the weights yet this week -- I feel like I need to get back into the routine again and maybe that will actually help me feel better. But at the same time I'm worried that pushing myself too hard could make me worse -- not sure what to do -- just take it one day at a time, I guess.

Natrushka
Tue, Feb-19-02, 12:32
Peg, let yourself get better and then get back at it. Working out when you're sick or overly tired can lead to overtraining - take a look through Lisaf's gym log; she was forced to take a few weeks off for this very reason.

You'll be back at it when you're well - remember it takes 6 weeks to grow muscle - it takes weeks to lose it as well; it wont happen overnight. Rest and get better.

Nat

pegm
Thu, Feb-21-02, 12:06
Thanks, Nat -- I'm glad to know that I'm not losing lots of muscle every day. I am just now today beginning to feel better (except for occasional nausea). So if I continue to improve Sunday should be a good day to start again (that's 2 weeks 'lost').

fern2340
Mon, Mar-04-02, 21:53
Hey Peg!
How are you feeling? Hopefully you are getting better/all better!

Take care!
Linda

pegm
Tue, Mar-05-02, 12:18
I am finally getting better, thanks! Thought I was over it, but ended up going home sick again last week! I lost 3 weeks, just started back on Sunday. Did my upper body workout yesterday.

It's been a very bad few weeks -- stressful, chaotic, and with much sickness. I haven't been able to keep up with postings. My brother had genetic testing for Huntington's Disease (it's the same disease that our mother has), and the test was positive. He seemed to be doing alright with it, but last week he attempted suicide. He was critical for a while, but he's doing better now -- he said they put him on two anti-depresants and he's feeling better. He'll get out of the hospital on Friday, and I really hope he's okay now.

fern2340
Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:02
Oh Peg!
I am so sorry to hear about you being sick and your brother. How sad! I know it has to be a very stressful time for you as well. You are both in my prayers.

Linda

Natrushka
Tue, Mar-05-02, 15:45
Oh Peg, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I thought you had been battling a really nasty bug and would be back when you were feeling better. I just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and hoping that everything turns out OK for you and your family.

Nat

pegm
Wed, Mar-06-02, 12:12
Thanks so much for your support. I'm glad that I'm finally able to get back into the exercise routine -- it's such a wonderful stress reliever and I really need that right now!

Plans for today: the gym we joined has finally opened! A couple of people I know went there yesterday and said it's great, so I'm really looking forward to going. Hope I don't stand out too much as a 'novice' as far as the machines go (I can just see myself now, squinting though my bifocals trying to read the instructions on the machines!).

I'll go there today after work for the first time for my LBWO. It will seem strange to try to translate my workout from using dumbells to machines, but I think it will be nice to have a few more options.

I checked gym logs and found a couple of people who use machines. I'll use that info to base today's workout on. but I'll need to bring a paper and pencil for notes in case I need to adjust things for next time.

Wish me luck!

pegm
Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:42
First LBWO at gym with machines went okay. First I spent some time looking at the machines -- see which muscle groups they are used for, how they work, etc. I wandered around the 'novice' area with my BFL Daily Progress Report log and a pencil, making notes. Later I noticed a man doing the same thing, and he had a BFL DPR, and was also making notes. I had to wait for him to finish with the ab machine, and we talked a couple of minutes about BFL. Also chatted with two other women (the novice area was mostly women, which was nice -- don't need to re-set the machine from 350 pounds from the guy before you). Everyone there seemed very nice and considerate, so it was a good, positive experience.

I will need to change the weights next time around: need to increase weights (a lot!) on leg press, decrease on lying curls, and decrease on calf press.

I'm also not quite sure if I'm using the calf press correctly -- did not seem to feel it working the calf muscles as much as I should have, instead it seemed to also work the quads -- I'll ask one of the trainers there about it next time I do LBWO on Monday.

Also, I did not like the ab machine in the novice section -- the padded front that you lean into to do 'crunches' was in the wrong place for a woman! I really struggled to get the pads to come under the bust line. There is a different type of ab machine in the 'intermediate' section (which is also where the calf machine is -- there is no calf machine in the novice section) that I think I would like better because you hang onto grips and push to do crunches instead of pressing your chest into pads. I'm going to try that one next time. I also tried the 'hip abduction' machine on the recommendation of another woman there, and I can feel the muscles on the inner thighs today, so it must work!

Here is what I did:

Leg Press: 12x75, 10x90, 8x105, 6x120, 12x105, 12x105 (far too light -- experimented later to see how much I could press).

Lying Curls (face down): 12 x 20, 10 x 30, 8 x 30, 6 x 30, 12 x 30, 12x 30 (could not finish -- too much weight)

Angled, Seated Calf Press: 12 x 40, 10x 50, 8x60, 6x70, 12x60, 12x60 (too much weight, could not finish with proper form)

Abs machine 12 x 20, 10x30, 8x40, 6x50, 12x40, 12x40

Revised plan for Monday:

Leg Press: 12x135, 10x155, 8x175, 6x215, 12x175, 12x175

Lying Curls: 12x10, 10x20, 8x20, 6x30, 12x20, 12x20

Angled Seated Calf Press: 12x25, 10x37.5, 8x50, 6x62.5, 12x50, 12x50

Abs machine: seemed okay as above, but I'll be using the other ab machine and might need to adjust weights.

Well, there it is! A few months ago I would never have considered joining or going to a gym! I came home from work, got into my p.j.'s, and had no energy to do anything. I felt awful all of the time -- indigestion, heartburn, tired -- just walking up a flight of stairs left me winded and gasping for breath. I said that I didn't have time to exercise -- had to help take care of my invalid mother, take care of my grandson, take care of my husband. I guess it took me 50 years to understand that unless I take care of myself, I won't be able to take care of anyone else.

There is such an unbelievable difference in how I feel, how I look, my energy level, and my entire outlook that it's hard to believe I'm the same person! Thanks so much to everyone for providing me with the support, knowledge, and tools to make these wonderful changes!

Natrushka
Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:48
Peg, I love reading stories like the one you just told - makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and so very hopeful. Have you read Pam B's story off the leanandstrong.com website? You made me think of her :)

Nat

pegm
Mon, Mar-11-02, 12:45
Nat,

No, I have not read her story, but I will.

Crazy weekend -- lots of snow and blowing and drifting -- just stayed home on Saturday and did lots of house projects. Took care of my 7 month old grandaughter on Sunday (my daughter and son-in-law bought a house and are doing lots of painting, etc., getting it ready before they move in). Bobby is home sick today -- husband took off work to stay home with him today. If he's feeling better, they will meet me at the gym after work, otherwise I'll just stop by myself.

Today's plan:

LBWO:

Leg Press machine: 12x135, 10x155, 8x175, 6x215, 12x175, 12x175

Lying Leg Curls: 12x10, 10x20, 8x20, 6x30, 12x20, 12x20

Angled Calf Press: 12x25, 10x37.5, 8x50, 6x62.5, 12x50, 12x50

Abs Machine: 12x20, 10x30, 8x40, 6x50, 12x40, 12x40

Planned meals:

Myoplex shake
1/4 c. cottage cheese; 1/4 c. mixed berries
Left over roast beef, asgaragus and green beans
1/4 c. cottage cheese; raw broccoli and cauliflower
Roast turkey, salad with blue cheese dressing, cauliflower
CS protein shake

pegm
Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:19
Had sick grandson Sunday - Tuesday. Went to gym alone on Monday to do LBWO. Went well. Had a trainer stop by the Calf Press machine to ask if I needed help -- that was great because I did not think I was using it correctly. He explained how to use it and noticed my BFL sheet -- told me it was a GREAT plan. He had started at 280 pound 1-1/2 years ago, and now he's a trainer -- he looks great. Hope someone will think the same about me a year from now.

Forgot the UBWO plan in my bag in the van (I'm doing this at work) so I'll add what I did tomorrow. I'm meeting DH and grandson at gym after work.

Menu for today:

Omelet w/ veggies
1/4 cup cottage cheese; 1/4 cup mixed berried
Chef salad w/romaine, spinach, leftover baked chicken breast, olive oil and vinegar dressing
Left over baked chicken breast (1 oz.); broccoli and cauliflower spear
Baked ham, salad w/olive oil and vinegar dressing, cauliflower
CS protein shake

fern2340
Wed, Mar-13-02, 20:49
He had started at 280 pound 1-1/2 years ago, and now he's a trainer -- he looks great. Hope someone will think the same about me a year from now.

I'm sure they will! You are doing GREAT and you have such a wonderful attitude. :)

pegm
Thu, Mar-14-02, 12:04
Thanks for the support! Overslept this morning and did not get cardio in before leaving for work. However, it's SNOWING!!! HARD!!! We're supposed to get 8 to 12 inches by tomorrow a.m., and schools are closing early. So, I'll leave work at 1:00 today and pick up Bobby -- will get cardio in this afternoon - he and I can do Tai Bo together -- he really likes that.

Menu today:

CS shake
1/4 cup cottage cheese; 1/4 cup mixed berries
Left over ham, cauliflower and green beans
1/4 cup cottage cheese; 1 spear each broccoli and cauliflower
Grilled steak, salad w/olive oil and vinegar dressing
CS shake

Hopefully the snow stops during the night and I can go to the gym tomorrow for UBWO -- if not, I'll just use dumbells at home as I had been doing before the gym opened.

pegm
Fri, Mar-15-02, 12:34
Finally remembered to bring in UBWO sheet from van so I can enter it at lunchtime. Planned for today:

Chest Press: 12x15, 10x30, 8x45, 6x60, 12x45, 12x45

Shoulder Press: 12x10, 10x20, 8x30, 6x40, 12x30, 12x30

Seated Row: 12x15, 10x30, 8x45, 6x60, 12x45, 12x45

Arm Extensions: 12x10, 10x20, 8x20, 6x30, 12x20, 12x20

Bicep Curls: 12x10, 10x20, 8x20, 6x30, 12x20, 12x20

Snow mostly stopped during the night and school was not cancelled today, so am meeting hubby and Bobby at gym after work today.

Menu for today:
Myoplex shake
8 small boiled shrimp
Chef salad w/romaine, spinach, cucumber, boiled shrimp, olive oil & vinegar dressing
Grilled shrimp (can you tell it's Lent?) , zuchinni, broccoli
CS protein shake

pegm
Wed, Mar-20-02, 12:51
Been too crazy to post -- Bobby's been sick again (just can't seem to shake that flu!), and I've been babysitting 7 month old grandaughter every weekend. Keeping up with the program, though.

Cardio: wind sprints on treadmill (I'm at the point now where 40% of the time I'm running instead of walking!).

I went to gym at lunch both Friday and today. Same UBWO on Friday as before. LBWO: increased weight on leg press -- left sheets in van, so I'll post the weights later.

Menu:

Myoplex shake
2 cups left over pepper steak (round steak, green peppers, tomatoes)
1/4 cup cottage cheese; 5 broccoli sprigs
Roasted chicken breast; cauliflower, green beans
CS protein shake

pegm
Tue, Mar-26-02, 11:57
Cardio has been going very well :hyper: -- I'm now at the point where I'm running instead of walking ~40% of the time (on treadmill).

Finally remembered to bring in my training sheets, so here is
my new LBWO:

Leg Press: 12x155, 10x175, 8x195, 6x215, 12x195, 12x195

Lying curls: 12x10, 10x20, 8x30, 6x40, 12x20, 12x20

Angled seated calf press: 12x25, 10x37.5, 8x50, 6x62.5, 12x50, 12x50

Abs machine: 12x24, 10x36, 8x48, 6x60, 12x48, 12x48

Added these:

Hip machine #1: 12x40, 10x50, 8x60, 6x70, 12x60, 12x60

Hip machine #2: 12x40, 10x50, 8x60, 6x70, 12x60, 12x60

Menu for yesterday:

Myoplex shake
chef salad: mixed greens, cucumber, tomatoes, roasted turkey breast, olive oil & vinegar dressing
1/4 cup cottage cheese
Roast beef, mock potatoes (cauliflower), carrots
Pepperoni chips

Today is my first session with the Gold's Gym trainer. :cheer: I printed my old BFL forms from when I was using dumbells along with my new ones with the machines. Now I can find out how well I translated the dumbell exercises to the machines, and if I've been using any of them incorrectly.

I also printed a couple of sample food logs. Hopefully they won't try to argue with me about low carb (because I know who will win that one!), but I don't think they will. When we joined the gym the woman who assisted us was their nutritionist and when I told her that I was doing low carb, her only response was that she would have a hard time doing that because she loves her pasta too much, but she did not say anything negative about my doing it.

I'll try to post how things went tomorrow.

pegm
Wed, Mar-27-02, 12:57
The 'training session' was not nearly as good as I had anticipated. The person was clueless about BFL -- I'm sure he never heard of it before. I think he was accustomed to someone who knows nothing about exercise and had not been doing any at all, so he can do a '1 size fits all' type of program. After shuffling through my BFL sheets, he finally said that I should do as I had been, but add a few more exercises. Interestingly enough, he recommended the very same program for my husband, who has not been working with weights at all!

He wrote out a program that added 5 additional upper body exercises at 12-10-8 reps for each. I might actually try that after I complete this 12 weeks of BFL. I explained to him that normally BFL does include 1 additional exercise for each muscle group, but when using the machines it is impossible to predict if the machine for flys will be free at the exact moment I need it, so I have been doing 24 reps instead of 12 and then 12 of another exercise for the same muscle group.

After thinking it over, I decided to continue the exercises I had been doing, but add the extra ones he recommended with the 12-10-8 reps. I tried it today over my lunch hour, and it only added 10 minutes to my workout. Plus, for the first time since I started using the machines, my muscles are begging for glutamine. I've been concerned that I have not been getting sore at all from my workouts lately, but I'm sure that's going to change today!

Tomorrow is wind sprints on the treadmill, and Friday LBWO which, interestingly enough, the trainer did not add any additional exercises. If I followed his program of 12-10-8 reps instead of the BFL one, I would actually be doing LESS exercise for lower body!

Friday I might end up working out at home with the dumbells. Our daughter is coming from Chicago with her boyfriend and his daughter for Easter on Friday, and I have off work, so it might be easier to just work out at home instead of traveling across town.

pegm
Fri, Apr-05-02, 12:36
Well, today is the end of my 12 weeks! I still have a long way to go, so I will definitely do more 12 weeks sessions. I'll take a week or two off of the every-day BFL and begin another session either April 14 or April 21 -- I have not decided which, yet.

I will continue going to the gym, doing weights and aerobics, but maybe with a bit less intensity for a week or two.

It's been a great experience!!!! I have learned so much.

I'll try to continue to log my progress here.

pegm
Sun, Apr-07-02, 14:02
I finally bought Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution yesterday, and I've made my decision about what to do next. I decided to do the Atkin's 2 weeks induction, starting tomorrow, to try to jump-start the fat loss again, then begin the next 12 weeks of BFL using the lower end of the carbs. I'm hoping I could do BFL on 30 carbs per day, but I'm not sure if that's too low.

I'll still do cardio for the next 2 weeks, but maybe walk longer, but with less intensity than BFL. Also want to keep up with the weights, but I plan to do the program that the 'trainer' at the gym worked out, as it's less intense than BFL. That way I should not lose any of the muscle I've gained during the past 12 weeks. The gym also has Yoga, Pilates, and Spin classes that might be interesting to check out.

I took the thermoginic formula with coffee yesterday. I could really feel the affect of just one pill, so I only took 2 yesterday and I'm going to take 3 today. The affect of just those 2 pills was amazing! Yesterday my temp was 97.2, and today it was 98.2! Wow! Hopefully, between that and the Atkin's induction I can lose some body fat! I have an appointment with the 'fitness' person at the gym on Tuesday. They assess your fitness level and measure your body fat. That is what I'm really looking forward to -- finding out what my body fat is! (Actually, I'm dreading it, but at least I'll know where I am and how far I have to go!)

I'll keep posting here regarding the progress.

pegm
Wed, Apr-10-02, 09:26
Had my 'fitness test' at the gym yesterday. The flexibility and strength tests were excellent -- I was above the 90th percentile for both. The treadmill test was just 'good', but I think I'm happy with that. I am not a runner -- I can walk, fast, and sprint, but running is not my thing. The test was to go as far as you can in 12 minutes, so to score better I would have needed to run for the entire 12 minutes. Even my husband, who was in track and always finished either 1st or 2nd on the run for his Army Reserve fitness test only scored 'Very Good', and he was at 9 MPH for part of the time.

I also had my body fat measured, and it was higher than I had hoped. I do have a long way to go to reach my goal of 22%! I also need to revise my goal weight upward because my lean body mass is 122 pounds I would be at 149 pounds. After the 12 minute treadmill, I went home and took the dogs for a 1-1/2 mile walk.

Today I'll meet Dave and Bobby at the gym and do Upper Body.

I'm in day 3 of the Atkins' induction and it's going well -- I seem to be losing weight again after being stuck on a plateau for so long! If things keep going this well I might stick to induction and my current exercise program for a while longer and save BFL for after I lose more body fat. I just don't seem to lose weight if I'm over 20 carbs per day and I'm not sure if I can do BFL on so few carbs. I'll just see how things go for a while -- I have plenty of time to decide what to do.

pegm
Wed, Apr-10-02, 18:39
Did UBWO today at gym, and everything I was told about trying to do BFL with only 20 carbs must be true -- it would not work, at least not for me! I was only doing 12, 10, and 8 reps, and I was really struggling -- a couple of times I could not complete the set at the same weight I was doing with 60 carbs.

Came home and took the dogs for a walk -- it's only 1.2 miles.

I'm so excited! For the first time ever, my ketostix were between 'Trace' and 'Small'!!! The only time I ever had a postive reaction before was 'Trace', one day only, after a 3 day fat fast. And I drank plenty of water, so it's not from dehydration.

I feel like things are finally coming together for me and I'm off the plateau!

pegm
Thu, Apr-11-02, 11:45
Did a 'Power Hike' on treadmill first thing this morning (22 minutes). If the rain stops I'll take the dogs for their 1-1/2 mile walk later -- Bobby has soccer practice from 4:45 to 6:00 (and I'm one of the coaches, so I need to be there!). I can put the fish I plan to bake for supper into the oven while we're walking.

Tomorrow is LBWO at gym.

Menu:

omelet w/mushrooms
pepperoni crisps and 1/2 oz. Colby cheese
chef salad w/romaine, leaf lettuce, leftover beef tenderloin, oil and vinegar dressing
1 oz. string cheese
Talapia baked in butter, 1/2 cup green beans

pegm
Mon, Apr-15-02, 11:08
Great weekend!!!! The weather finally warmed up. Sat. walked dogs ~ 2 miles. Sunday Bobby and I went on 6 mile bike ride, then walked dogs ~1-1/2 miles. We really enjoyed the weather! I was going to gym on my lunch hour to do UBWO, but got an e-mail that my tax return that I filed electronically yesterday was rejected. I have to leave early to go home and fix it and re-submit it (that's what I get for waiting until the last minute to file). Then we need to take Bobby to Missy's house because he's off school tomorrow and he's staying at her house overnight. We'll go for a walk to the park while we're there (it's about a 45 minute drive to a small town near here). If I get home early enough, I'll do the UBWO at home, otherwise I guess I'll have to miss this one (IRS comes first!).

Menu for today:
Pepperoni omelet (pepperoni, 2 eggs, 2 Tbsp. cheese)
1 oz. roast beef with 2 Tbsp mayo
3 oz. roast beef; 1 cup cauliflower w/butter
8 pepperoni crisps
Chicken avacado "sandwich" (Missy invited us for supper; mine will be without the croissant, of course -- just boneless chicken breast, cheese, avacado); zuchinni w/Parmesan, tomato, and garlic sauted in olive oil.

Did not drink enough water over the weekend and retained a pound of water. Been drinking plenty today, so it should come off in the next couple of days.

pegm
Thu, Apr-18-02, 11:22
Did LBWO at gym yesterday -- can really feel the difference at the lower carb level. I FEEL SO WEAK!!!!!!! Then went home and walked the dogs. Planned on 2-1/2 miles, but Bobby fell off his scooter and hurt both of his knees, so we had to go home early -- went ~1-1/2 miles. Played baseball with him while chicken cooked on grill.

Plan for today: go the 2-1/2 miles (and Bobby will either walk or wear knee pads).

pegm
Mon, Apr-29-02, 12:11
Wow, didn't realize that I haven't posted for so long! Went to gym alone on lunch hour (Bobby is sick, so he won't want to go after school). Did upper body -- I upped carbs just a bit, and I can really tell the difference! (Added more veggies and an small serving of melon).

I was REALLY BAD yesterday -- did not feel well all day, cooped up because of that and the weather -- and gave in to temptation -- I ate some candy (chocolate w/peanuts). I almost threw them away when my dad gave them to me a couple of weeks ago, and I'm really sorry that I didn't. Today is pennance -- it's nice outside and the dogs and I will go for a LONG walk (at least 3 miles) when I get home. Also increased the weights for the UBWO I did at lunchtime, so hope the damage can be undone ASAP! At least the scale didn't go up this morning, but it didn't go down either. I had been doing so well, too. There's been boxes and boxes of Girl Scout cookies here at work (they put them out by the coffee pot) and I have not even been tempted at all. Also passed up all of Bobby's Easter candy, and any other treats everyone has had around. Well, nothing to be done about it now except move forward from here.

pegm
Wed, May-01-02, 11:23
UBWO must have been great -- muscles are SORE -- been taking the gluamine.

Walked w/dogs yesterday afternoon -- ~ 2.5 miles -- was nice to be able to get outside to walk. I am really sick of the treadmill. Wish the weather would straighten out so we can be outside more -- want to get my garden in, but it rains or snows most of the time!

Only problem with walking outside is that I can't do it in the morning before work -- it's too dark at 4:30 a.m., and I would need to go then so I could be home by 5:15 a.m. because that's when DH leaves for work, and Bobby would be alone in the house if I don't get home by 5:15 a.m. The walking works best first thing in the morning. Only other solution is to do 20 mins. on treadmill in the a.m., and walk dogs outside in the p.m. (weather permitting).

Once it really warms up (if it ever does -- winter is still hanging on here), I'll change to pool jogging instead of walking -- that's the BEST! First the pool float goes into the middle of the pool, then you RUN the outer edge of the pool for 40 mins, then you sack out on the lounger with your water bottle for a while and float in the warm sunshine -- that's your reward for doing your exercise.

Was going to do LBWO at lunch because I have to work until 5:00 today, but I made a doctor's appointment at 2:30 today, so I'm taking that time as my lunch hour. I won't want to go to gym after work, so I think I'll just go straight home, throw fish in oven for dinner, and do LBWO at home while it cooks -- saves a lot of time, doing 2 things at once! Tomorrow a.m. I'll do the treadmill again, and dream about the pool while I'm trudging along.

pegm
Thu, May-02-02, 14:06
Bad couple of days -- this is not really the place to post problems, but since they interfered with my workout, I guess I'll use this spot.

Missed workouts both yesterday, today, and will again tomorrow. Planned on LBWO after work, but then daughter called -- she left her controlling boyfriend (yea), but wants me to come there to help her get her things from the apartment. It's a six hour drive one way -- I need to take off work and I'm not sure what kind of explosive situation I'll be walking into.

Forgot all about workout because I was on phone making arrangements for care for Bobby, etc. Woke up during the night sick -- VERY upset stomach -- was up about 2 hours and still have hardly eaten anything today -- still don't feel well, so missed treadmill workout this morning.

Went to work today and planned on going to gym on lunch, but at 10:00 a.m. phone rang -- Bobby sick at school and I had to go get him. I still don't feel well. Tomorrow is when I have to drive to Chicago -- plan on going down and back in the same day because Bobby's soccer game is Saturday at noon (and I'm one of the coaches).

Well, next week will be better -- certainly won't get much worse, and after this week I'll really need to de-stress!

pegm
Tue, May-07-02, 12:11
Saturday weather was better than was forcast (it was supposed to rain all day, high of 55 degrees). The rain held off until afternoon, so I went to daughter's house in small town 20 miles from here and we went to tons of thrift sales (she's looking for Little Tykes toys and some clothes for my grandaughter). Walked the entire town, most of the time pushing the jogging stroller with a 4 year old and 9 month old in it. Was a good cardio/weight workout!

Went to gym yesterday and did LBWO. They have a new calf machine that I like much better than the one I had been using. I still think that I'm not doing enough exercises for lower body. Friday I'll try one or two other ones.

Could not wake up this morning! Planned cardio for after work: take dogs for a LONG walk. If it rains (AGAIN -- it's been raining nearly every day!), I'll do Tai Bo instead. I am SO BORED with the treadmill. This weather HAS to straighten out so I can get outside more -- need to plant the garden, rake the lawn, go on bike rides, go to the park, go fishing, get into the pool -- CABIN FEVER is killing me!

Menu for today:

Tried ground flax for the first time today. Mixed 1/4 cup with 1/2 cup hot tap water and added sugar free (sweetened with Splenda) syrup. It was very good!

2 oz. roasted turkey breast
Chef salad made with romaine, leaf lettuce, spinach, roasted turkey breast (can you tell I roasted a turkey breast yesterday?), 2 Tbsp. olive oil and vinegar dressing
Planned for supper: More turkey breast, mock mashed potatoes (made with cauliflower), broccoli
2 cups green tea
100 oz. water

pegm
Wed, May-08-02, 11:25
Did Tai Bo last night when I got home from work. By 3:00 the clouds had rolled in and it was raining (surprise, surprise), so walking was out. Another week of this weather and I'll be ready to transfer to the Florida office!

Going to the gym to do UBWO today after work. I'm seriously thinking about doing another 12 weeks of BFL. I noticed a post by Trainer Dan that he believes that the BFL program does not have enough aerobics, and I wonder if that might not have been the problem when I did the first 12 weeks -- my fat loss was not nearly as good as I had hoped, and I think I need more aerobic exercise to get my metabolism up and the fat loss going. I might do a 'modified' BFL -- intense weight training the three days, but also do more walking, pool jogging (if we ever get warm weather), Tai Bo, etc. Atkin's New Diet Revolution recommends a minimum of 45 mins. per day, five days per week, and add three days of weight training. I might do another Tai Bo session after I get home from the gym.

Menu for today:
Flax meal w/hot water and sugar free syrup
2 oz. roasted turkey breast
2 oz. roasted turkey breast, 1/2 cup green beans, 1/2 cup mashed cauliflower
1 bowl creamy chicken soup
2 oz. almonds

pegm
Thu, May-09-02, 11:47
Yesterday did UBWO at gym, and felt so energetic when I got home that I did 2 miles on the treadmill afterward.

Woke up early this morning, still feeling very energetic, so I did 2 miles more on the treadmill.

Muscles are sore today from UBWO -- went very well. I need to increase weight for triceps on Monday.

Got an exercise ball that came with a video, so I would like to try it out when I get home tonight.

Menu:
1/4 cup ground flax seed with 1/2 cup hot water and 2 Tbsp. sugar free syrup; 1 oz. roast turkey breast

2 oz. roast turkey breast

Chef salad w/romaine, leaf lettuce, spinach and roast turkey breast (the last of it -- it's all gone!); 2 Tbsp. olive oil and vinegar dressing

Planned for supper: Meatballs w/spaghetti sauce (homemade from crushed tomatoes and herbs); broccoli

Need to feed the family (last Boy Scout meeting tonight), but I'll probably be eating supper later -- have a dentist appointment today at 2:00 for prep work for a crown (sob, sob -- I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST!), and it will be ~3 hours. I'm sure I won't feel like eating right away after that's done!

Rained yesterday afternoon, all last night, and this morning. Rain's stopped now, but it's cloudy, WINDY (~ 35 MPH winds) and COLD!!! Forcast for the next 5 days: rain, cloudy, cold (wow, that's new!).

pegm
Fri, May-10-02, 11:29
After dentist appt. I worked with the exercise ball for the first time. Went okay -- boy do I need work on my balance! Just followed the video through the abs workout -- seemed alright.

Today I'll meet DH at gym and do LBWO -- and I'm going to check out some of the other machines they have there -- I think the LBWO the trainer planned is too limited and there just are not enough lower body exercises.

This weekend I'll try to revamp my workouts -- I think it's time to change some of the exercises so that my body does not become too accustomed to the same thing.

Menu for today:

1/4 cup flax w/1/2 cup water and 2 Tbsp. sugar free syrup
8 pepperoni crisps

1/2 green pepper w/2 Tbsp. blue cheese dressing

5 meatballs w/1/4 cup homemade spaghetti sauce; 1/2 cup green beans

Supper: we're eating out -- probably a buffet where I can have a salad and meats with a bit of berries or melon for desert.

Was hoping to go for a walk tonight and certainly over the weekend, but weather forcast:

Tonight = rain (80%) High temp of 60 degrees
Tomorrow = rain (80%) High temp of 55 degrees
Sunday = rain in a.m.; high temp of 50 degrees

In other words, same as always -- rain and cold! Guess that treadmill won't be gathering dust any time soon!

pegm
Mon, May-13-02, 11:54
Missed cardio over weekend -- just did not take the time -- was so much to do!

Today went to gym over lunch hour. Could not go after work -- have to go to funeral home :( My cousin died of cancer. Also got email from a friend -- her brother just died of cancer yesterday.

I'll need to get up early and do cardio this week because it's going to be busy! Today, the furneral home, Tue. Bobby's school program, Wed. a baseball outing w/daughter, Thur. Bobby's soccer game, Sat. Bobby's soccer tournament (games at 8:00, 12:00, 2:00, and if they make it, the championship game is at 4:00).

Did UBWO at gym -- I really need to change my routine, but I need time to plan a new one, so it might not be this week! Tomorrow is cardio, Wed. LBWO at gym.

pegm
Tue, May-14-02, 11:31
Dragged myself out of bed this morning at 4:30 for a half-hour on the treadmill. Bobby's spring school program tonight, so can't walk after work. Weather is still terrible -- was supposed to be sunny today, but it's afternoon and still cloudy. Forcast is rain tonight and tomorrow; cloudy and cool the rest of the week. Saturday forcast for soccer tournament: high of 48 degrees!!!! It's mid-May for crying out loud!!! Haven't seen the sun for weeks, and only had a couple of days above 70 degrees since last summer!

Tomorrow's plan: a.m. cardio on treadmill and LBWO at gym after work.

pegm
Wed, May-15-02, 11:36
Up late after Bobby's program, so couldn't get up this a.m. to walk -- will do later. Meeting DH at gym after work for LBWO, and then I'll go home, throw chicken in the oven, and either do Tae Bo or walk on treadmill (forcast is for rain, of course).

Menu:
1/4 cup ground flax mixed with 1/2 cup hot water and 2 Tbsp. sugar free syrup
1 stalk celery w/1 Tbsp. peanut butter (sugar free)

1/4 cup cottage cheese; 1/2 cup melon; 2 strawberries

chef salad w/2 cups mixed romaine and spinach; 1/2 Roma tomato; 1 cup chicken breast; 2 Tbsp. olive oil & vinegar dressing

Planned for supper: Chicken breast; asparagus; green beans

pegm
Thu, May-16-02, 06:33
Did LBWO at gym yesterday, then went home and did 2 miles on treadmill while chicken baked.

Got up this morning and did 1/2 hour on treadmill. Instead of distance and speed, I increased the incline and decreased the speed a bit. I was stayed at the top end of 'fat burn' on the display. Want to keep my body guessing -- vary the routine from day to day.

Also started using thermogenics again. I had used them for 1 week, but could not stand the feeling that I was 'crawling out of my skin'. I'm hoping they will start the scale moving downward again, since nothing else I'm doing seems to be working. I really need to find a new doctor (I've been saying that for over a year now), and get a physical. I know that I have all of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid: dry skin, fatigue, feel cold, low body temp, constipation, etc., but every test I've had shows it is 'normal'.

Menu for today:
1/4 cup ground flax seed in 1/2 cup hot water w/2 Tbsp. sugar free syrup; 1 oz. chicken breast

1/2 cup melon; 2 strawberries; 1 oz. chicken breast

3 oz. chicken breast; 1/2 cup asparagus; 1/2 cup cauliflower w/cheese

1 celery stalk w/1 Tbsp. sugar free peanut butter

3 oz. turkey breast; 1/2 cup cauliflower; 1/2 cup green beans

Coffee w/thermogenics (they are caffeine free); LOTS of water (at least 100 oz.); vitamins

pegm
Fri, May-17-02, 09:16
Did 30 mins. on treadmill this morning. Will do UBWO at gym after work today.

I am really down today. It has been nearly a year since I began to try to lose weight and I am still so very far from my goal. I admit to a few 'cheats' -- maybe 3 or 4 in that year -- and there have been times when I missed a workout occasionally, but for the most part I have been faithfully following low carb and exercising regularly.

I have been stuck in a rut - gaining and losing the same 5 pounds (of water, no doubt) for a long time. I ate a piece of cheesecake on Mother's Day at the buffet and did not drink as much water as I should have, so on Monday I was up 5 pounds. I have been faithfully following LC ever since, and doing cardio at least 5 times a week and weights 3 days, and yesterday the 5 pounds was gone (YEA). This morning it's back -- all of it! Don't know why -- I drank plenty of water and did not eat anything I should not have, so don't know why I'm retaining water. I use Fitday, try to limit anything that might cause a stall, get lots of exercise, but nothing seems to work.

I so want to get below 200 pounds! I have no intention of quitting -- this WOL has been so good for me -- I feel great and am so healthy! But I am so tired of not losing weight! I feel good health-wise, but I would also like to feel good about the way I look. All around me -- co-workers, friends, even my husband -- they all seem to lose weight effortlessly! They make a couple of changes in the way they eat (stop eating candy or cookies, etc.) and the pounds just melt off of them. And here I am, working so hard at eating right and exercising, and I've been stuck at the same weight and measurements FOREVER!

Guess some days you just need to whine.

pegm
Thu, May-23-02, 11:19
Been a bad week -- missed most workouts -- I was sick, then Bobby was sick, and had something going on every day after work.

The weather has finally straightened out a bit -- forecast for the holiday weekend, so far, is sunny and lower 70's. We'll be outside a lot -- planting the garden, fishing, going on hikes in the park, biking, etc. Also going to fire up the pool heater -- if it's sunny and 70 and the water temp is warm enough I can finally pool jog! I really plan on making up for the missed workouts this weekend!

Started taking thermogenics this week, and the weight is coming down. I won't hold my breath because this is the same 5 pounds I've lost and gained back over and over again, but I have hope that maybe it will be gone for good this time, along with a few more! As of this morning, I'm at 205 -- 199 here I come!

pegm
Tue, May-28-02, 11:56
Well, the weather man lied!!! The only decent weather we had over the holiday weekend was Monday afternoon when the rain quit. That's when I went out and finally got the gardening done! Also took son fishing, played basketball, baseball, badmittan, etc. (amazing how much we can crowd into one afternoon and evening when we try!). Rest of the time spent reading a book!

Tonight after work: walk outside if weather holds up, otherwise either do Tae Bo or use treadmill. Tomorrow I work until 5:00, so will go to gym on lunch hour for LBWO. DH has someone coming today to repair pool heater. If it gets fixed today and we run heater, might be able to pool jog tomorrow when I get home from work (forecast is 81 degrees for a high) unless it rains (70% chance) -- in fact, it's supposed to rain every day through Thursday -- I think I've been transported to Seattle and no one told me! Forcast for weekend is no rain, but cold again (surprise, surprise). Why is it that the only time the weather forcast is wrong is when it's supposed to be nice? It's NEVER wrong when the weather is supposed to be crummy!

pegm
Thu, May-30-02, 11:53
Haven't posted here for a while. Over the holiday I did a lot of gardening in between rain storms. Could tell I used different muscles than I do for walking or weights -- my left shoulder and right hamstring were irritated.

Tuesday the weather finally straightened out -- 81 degrees! We went from using the furnace to the air conditioner overnight.

Last night I did pool jogging for the first time this season! YEA!!!!! My treadmill can gather dust for a while because my very favorite exercise is back!

I planned on 45 minutes, but was maxed after only 30! Pool jogging obviously uses different muscles than walking on the treadmill. It's going to be 86 and sunny today -- I'm leaving work at 3:30 and maybe I'll be able to do the 45 mins. -- I am really looking forward to my exercise! After I run my reward is to float on my lounger for 15 minutes. That's the max amount of rest time before Bobby has me playing water sports -- volleyball, basketball, keep away, racing, etc. -- you don't lounge much when he's around -- and I love it!

pegm
Mon, Jun-03-02, 11:01
Did pool jogging Thur and Fri. Sat. very busy -- lots of company. Sun. was my mother's birthday, so also very busy.

Supposed to work until 5:00 today -- was going to gym during lunch, but am so overloaded at work that I can't take an entire hour for lunch. Co-worker might stay until 5:00 -- if she does, I'll get away at 4:00 and go to gym. Otherwise, I'll go home and do LBWO while supper cooks. Would also like to do a while on treadmill after weights. It's too rainy and cold for pool today and forcast is same for tomorrow. Wed., Thur., & Fri. forcast is sunny and 70's, so I'll be able to get back to the pool then.

pegm
Tue, Jun-04-02, 11:09
Not a good week -- I caught a rotten cold! Have not had a chest cold all winter. Only had about 3 hours sleep last night -- kept coughing and coughing. Finally got up and scrounged up some cough medicine -- it seemed to help a little. No running on treadmill (it's raining and 53 degrees today!) -- don't want to agravate the cough. Just I'll just take it easy a couple of days, keep taking the vitamin C, and hopefully I'll get well enough to exercise.

pegm
Wed, Jun-05-02, 11:59
Cold is still hanging on. Didn't sleep one night because I coughed all night. By yesterday I was so tired I was almost falling asleep at my desk (reminded me of the old 'carb' days)! Went home and rested for an hour, got up and made supper, and went back to bed. I feel a lot better today.

DH is heating the pool. Water temp is down to 72 degrees because of 3 days of cold, rainy weather. The high is only supposed to be 73 today, but it's sunny and if we can get the water temp to 80 degrees, I should keep warm pool jogging.

I was taking this week off from weights, but if I feel better tomorrow, I might start back then.

pegm
Fri, Jun-07-02, 11:15
Did pool jogging on Wed. for 20 mins. and it went well in spite of my having had a terrible coughing spell earlier in the day. Although I have never had asthma, there have been a couple of times that I wondered if this is how someone with asthma might feel -- it was very difficult to breath.

Did pool jogging Thursday as well -- made it 25 minutes. However, my left foot was hurting and I discovered later why -- I have a very large blister on the soul of the foot. I think I'll dig out my water shoes and wear them from now on.

The weather if pretty 'iffy' today -- it was raining earlier and it's supposed to rain again this afternoon and tonight. If it holds off, I'll pool jog again, otherwise I'll either do treadmill or Tae Bo.

Monday I'll start back to the gym and hit the weights hard!

pegm
Fri, Jun-07-02, 20:05
Lucked out with the weather and got 1/2 hour of pool jogging in before it rained. It started sprinkling after 20 mins., but the thunder was way off in the distance and there was no lightening, I figured what's a little rain -- after all I'm in a pool and all wet anyway! I did use the aqua sox and my foot was fine. Hope it heals soon, though, because it's pretty sore.

pegm
Sat, Jun-08-02, 18:53
Weather forcast was 80% chance of rain -- well, we got the 20% instead. It was overcast, but did not rain. Did 30 min. pool jogging. Foot is doing fine so far -- wore the water sox and it seems to help. Think I'll continue to do that even after foot heals. I think the friction of running on the vinyl pool liner caused the blister.

Tomorrow's forcast is hot -- should be able to get another day of pool jogging in.

pegm
Mon, Jun-10-02, 11:43
Sun. did lots of physical type chores -- gardening, cleaning, scrubbing all of the outdoor furniture, washed cars, etc., so skipped the pool jogging. Played games with son in pool -- tag, racing, keep away, etc.

Mon. started back to gym -- cold is much better (didn't cough all night!). Did UBWO on machines:

Bicep curls: 12x10, 10x20, 8x30, 6x30, 12x20
Triceps: 12x20, 10x30, 8x40, 6x50, 12x40
Lat Pulldowns: 12x50, 10x75, 8x100
Row: 12x40, 10,50, 8x60, 6x72, 12x60
Chest Press: 12x24, 10x36, 8x48, 6x60, 12x48
Flys: 12x70
Incline press: 12x24, 10x36, 8x48
Shoulder press: 12x24, 10x36, 8x36, 6x48, 12x36

Was sprinkling earlier, but if rain holds off after I get home, I'll do pool jogging.

pegm
Tue, Jun-11-02, 07:16
Raining today and I have dinner date with co-workers after work, so needed to do a.m. cardio. Used treadmill -- 2 miles at #4 incline -- felt really good!

pegm
Wed, Jun-12-02, 18:49
Did LBWO at gym (on machines):

Leg press: 12x150, 10x160, 8x175, 6x212, 12x175
Glutes/Hamstrings: 12x36, 12x48, 12x60
Multi Hip: 12x100, 12x150, 12x200
Rotary Calf: 12x90, 12x110, 12x130
Hip Abduction (outer): 12x90, 12x100, 12x110
Abs machine: 12x36, 12x36, 12x48, 12x60, 12x48

Came home, changed into swim suit, and went pool jogging. Could only manage 20 mins. -- legs just couldn't handle any more.

fern2340
Wed, Jun-12-02, 21:31
Hey Peg!
I haven't stopped by here in a while! You are doing so well with the pool jogging! Congrats! :) Sounds like fun!!

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-13-02, 06:49
Peg, Happy Birthday :) I hope you have a wonderful day, full of all kinds of LC goodies. Best wishes for a great year.

Nat

pegm
Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:14
Thanks for the Birthday greetings!

Weater forcast: highs in the 60's, 60% chance of rain, so no pool jogging today.

5:00 a.m. -- 2 miles on treadmill at #4 incline, 4 mph pace. Legs wanted to quit after 20 minutes, but I told them that this is my body's birthday gift, so I kept going!

pegm
Fri, Jun-14-02, 11:44
UBWO at gym on lunch hour -- increased weight for bicep curls, and did 20 reps on last set of seated rows, so made note to increase weight next time.

When 'trainer' at gym helped me set up the program, he was not familiar with BFL (which I was doing at the time). He set up my worksheet to do more variety of exercises, but reps of 12, 10, and 8. I did not want to do that, so I continued with the exercises I had been doing for BFL with the 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 reps, but added the new ones he set up at the 12, x10 & 8.

The trainers check your sheets after each session, and there was a note on mine this time -- very encouraging -- keep up the great work, etc. -- but try to increase reps to 12 - 15. I thought it over, and decided, why not do that on the extra ones that the trainer had added. So today I increased those extra exercises from 12, 10, & 8 to 12, 12, and 12. Bring on the glutamime!

Weather is cloudy and 60's, but if it clears off a bit and the sun comes out, I will pool jog after work. The water is warm (86 degrees!) and I'll keep warm if I'm moving, so I'll go for it unless it's storming or really COLD!

pegm
Sun, Jun-16-02, 20:35
Weather straigtened out this weekend and was able to do pool jogging both Saturday and Sunday -- 30 minutes each day! It was great!!!!! Monday it will be back to the treadmill in the a.m. and LBWO at gym on lunch hour -- son had baseball game after work, so no pool jogging tomorrow!

pegm
Mon, Jun-17-02, 11:39
Did treadmill this morning for 30 mins., #4 & #5 incline, 4 mph. (no pool today -- son has baseball game out of town, so won't have time after work) If the weather would warm up a bit more so it's in the 60's at night instead of 50's, I would do pool jogging in the morning before work.

Went to gym on lunch hour and did UBWO, same as last Wed. I'll change the routine on July 15.

pegm
Tue, Jun-18-02, 16:55
Did not want to do treadmill again -- really wanted to pool jog today, so I took a chance on the weather -- it was supposed to rain -- and it did hold off. Got 30 mins of pool jogging in right after work. It's the last pool day until Friday -- have commitments for the next two days after work until 9:30 p.m., so I'll need to use the treadmill Wed. and Thur.

pegm
Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:56
Did treadmill this morning. There is something wrong with it -- we're going to need to get it repaired. It's only 1-1/2 years old and I think we purchased a service agreement, so hopefully repairs will be covered.

It started about 2 weeks ago. After I turned it off the display went blank as it should, then would suddenly turn back on and the lights would move through the various programs on the display. I've been turning off the power strip when I'm done to shut it off. Monday I was swinging my arms walking and accidently pulled the 'key' out and it turned off. I started it up again and about 5 mins later it turned off again, but this time the key was still in it. I thought maybe I didn't have it in all of the way and it had jiggled loose, so I put it back in and finished my workout.

This morning it shut itself off again about half way through my workout, then again about 5 mins later. So it appears to have problems. Fortunately, each time it shut down I knew approximately how much time was on the display, but I lost all of the other info (calories burned, etc.). I'll need to be extra careful to keep track of where I'm at until it's fixed.

Did UBWO at gym at lunch -- same as Friday.

pegm
Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:49
Did 2 miles on treadmill this a.m. 4 mph., incline 4 and 5. It shut down again after 11 minutes and I had to restart it. Haven't been home long enough to call about getting it repaired.

Up at 4:30 a.m. yesterday, did treadmill, got stuck in heavy traffic because of road construction and got to work at 7:00 a.m. Went to gym on lunch hour, and did UBWO, worked until 5:00 p.m., then left directly from work to go to daughter and son-in-law's at Strumm, town about 25 miles south of here. Met them at park where grandson (the one we're raising) had baseball practice (daughter, grandson's aunt, is my daycare for the summer), took other grandchild, the one who belongs to daugher and son-in-law, and babysat while they went to dinner to celebrate their anniversary. Did not get home until 10:00 p.m., then up again this a.m. at 4:30 a.m. to do treadmill. Got to work at 6:30 a.m., leaving at 4:00 p.m. to go to Strumm again for grandson's baseball game. Hope things settle down soon -- don't know how long I can keep this up!

pegm
Fri, Jun-21-02, 12:54
Friday: Took day off work to stay home with grandson, so could not get to gym -- did workout at home.

Wanted to pool jog, but it was raining when I got up. I waited a while and it seemed to quit. Got the suit on, grabbed the towel, and headed out to the pool. Just as I put the ladder on, it started to sprinkle again. That would not have stopped me, but it also started to thunder. Didn't see any lightening, but did not want to take a chance. So, back into the house and back to the treadmill I went. Today it did not shut down at all during my walk.

Treadmill: 2 miles ~ 4 mph; increased incline to 6 at times, 5 and 4 rest of time.

LBWO: used free weights for the first time since joining gym in February! Seemed very strange, but think I worked muscles that have not been worked with machines. I'll need some glutamine for sure -- can already feel it!

Squats: 12 x 10, 10 x 20, 8 x 30, 6 x 40, 12 x 30
Leg extension: 12 x 60 (too light -- need more weight)
Lunges: 12 x 20, 10 x 20, 8 x 30, 6 x 40, 12 x 30
Straight Leg Deadlift: 12 x 30
Calf Raises: 12 x 20, 10 x 40, 8 x 40, 6 x 50, 12 x 40
Angeled Calf Raise: 12 x 40
Ab's (on new ab ball) Crunches: 12, 10, 8, 6, 24

And just so my upper body didn't miss out: vacuuming, scrubbing floors, dusting, etc. (the real old-fashioned work out!)

Need to find a way to get in more protein. I'm going to check out other's logs to see what they use.

pegm
Sun, Jun-23-02, 19:40
I have read that you get a better work out from free weights than from machines. Well, I really believe that's true! I was so SORE after working out with the free weights. I can leg press over 200 pounds on the machines, 200 pounds on the multi-hip machine, and 130 pounds on the rotary calf. But, after using free weights on Friday: Squats, lunges, calf raises, and abs, my leg muscles were so sore that it was like I had never worked out before! I am seriously considering going back to using free weights instead of the machines.

Saturday I took the day off and just lounged in the pool!

Sunday: 30 mins. pool jogging. I know that Monday will be too busy to get in a weight session, so I did UBWO at home with free weights.

Bench press: 12 x 15, 10 x 20, 8 x 25, 6 x 30, 12x25
Flys: 12 x 20
Seated Dumbell press: 12 x 10 10 x 15, 8 x 20, 6 x 25, 12 x 20
Side Raises: 12 x 20
Dumbell Row: 12 x 20, 10 x 25, 8 x 35, 6 x 40, 12 x 35
Lat Pulldow: 12 x 65
Lying Dumbell Extension: 12 x 10, 10 x 16, 8 x 20, 6 x 30, 12 x 20
Pullover: 12 x 20
Seated Dumbell Curls: 12 x 10, 10 x 10, 8 x 15, 6 x 15, 12 x 10

Tomorrow I hope to pool jog 1st thing in the a.m.; otherwise I'll do treadmill if it's raining.

pegm
Mon, Jun-24-02, 10:51
First Time!!!! Weather cooperated and I was able to do pool jogging 1st thing this morning (4:30 a.m.). It was great! So peacefull except for the splash of the water at first. Then I could watch the sky lighten and the birds started singing! The only drawback was that it was so hard to quit and go into the house to get ready for work -- I wanted to keep going a lot longer!

Also for the first time I counted the number of laps I did in 30 minutes (I could keep track because it was so quiet and there was no one else around to distract me). Based on the circumference of the pool and number of laps, I did 1-1/3 miles in the 30 minutes. On the treadmill, I do 2 miles in that same length of time, but I have the resistance of the water in the pool to slow me down. I am not at all sure if that is a good pace for the pool or not, and I don't really know who to ask. Guess I'll just try to keep track from now on and strive to increase the number of laps in the 30 minutes so I know that I am pushing my body more each day and not just doing the same things over and over by rote.

pegm
Tue, Jun-25-02, 09:18
Raining this morning (surprise, surprise!), so used treadmill. 2 miles in 30 mins., 4 mph, incline 4, 5 & 6.

Day off work (grandson is sick), so did LBWO at home with dumbells:

Squats: 12 x 20, 10 x 30, 8 x 30, 6 x 40, 12 x 30
Leg lift: 12 x 60
Lunges: 12 x 20, 10 x 30, 8 x 30, 6 x 40, 12 x 30
Straight leg deadlifts: 12 x 30
Calf Raises: 12 x 20, 10 x 30, 8 x 40, 6 x 50, 12 x 40
Angled Calf Raise: 12 x 40
Crunches on Ab Ball: 12, 10, 8, 6, 24

Trying to increase protein, so using more shakes w/protein powder. Have some Myoplex (low carb one), Atkins, and Carb Solutions. Been trying to get them in 3 times per day to increase protein.

pegm
Wed, Jun-26-02, 11:11
Rain stopped by morning, so 4:30 a.m. -- pool jogging for 30 mins! We had some storms and winds last night, so I spent 10 mins. netting all of the debris out of the pool -- leaves, twigs, and seeds from the birch tree -- before I could run.

pegm
Thu, Jun-27-02, 06:27
Yesterday I came home from work and did another 15 mins. pool jogging to make up for the slow start in the a.m. from netting the debris out of the pool.

Today: 4:30 a.m. -- 2 miles on treadmill, 4 mph. at #5 incline most of the time, sometimes up to #6 -- occasionally sprinted to 6 mph. This pushed the display from the top end of 'fat burn' to the lower end of 'endurance' for a good part of the time! Only drawback is that it took me longer to cool down afterward, so I got to work 15 min. later than I would have liked, but it's worth it! I'm finding that I drink a lot less coffee when I do the cardio in the a.m. (only had 1 cup today)!

pegm
Sun, Jun-30-02, 18:17
Friday I babysat my 11 month old grandchild, so I did not get in any workouts.

Saturday I did 30 min. pool jogging and 60 sets of Tae-Bo kicks in the pool.

Sunday, did LBWO in pool -- 60 Tae-Bo kicks and full LBWO -- I could really feel it -- had a hard time climbing the patio deck steps when I was done!

pegm
Mon, Jul-01-02, 11:42
Monday 4:30 a.m. -- 30 min. pool jogging. I really love watching that sum come up and listening to the birds sing while I'm out there running in the pool!

I'm going to do UBWO at home later on -- it's 95 degrees and HUMID -- I want to go have fun in the pool right after work, then I'll do weights. Great pool days are so rare in Wisconsin -- don't want to waste a minute of time.

pegm
Tue, Jul-02-02, 11:58
Monday night:

Did Tae-Bo kicks in pool -- 3 sets of 3 on each leg at each of the 20 'stations' (pool supports) -- total of 360 kicks! Wow! Didn't seem like that much! Also added a few 'water aerobic' type exercises for lower body. Then, just laid back and soaked up some sun for a while.

Went inside and did UBWO with free weights (weights are total weight for both hands, not weight in each):

Chest press: 12 x 20, 10x30, 8x30, 6x40, 12x30
Side Raises: 12x30
Shoulder press: 12 x 20, 10x30, 8x30, 6x40, 12x30
Side Raises: 12x30
Row: 12x20, 10x25, 8x30, 6x35, 12x30
Pulldown: 12 x 65
Tricep: 12x20, 10x30, 8x30, 6x40, 12x30
Kickback: 12x20
Seated Curls: 12x20, 10x20, 8x20, 6x30, 12x20
Standing Curls: 12x20

Went back into pool after supper with friends and just chatted and sipped Diet Rite Raspberry soda -- was very relaxing.

Tuesday 4:35 a.m. (had a really HARD time getting up this morning -- I really wanted to sleep later!!!!):

Pool jogging for 30 mins. Today's sunrise was really spectacular out there and the birds were more musical than ever -- it really was worth missing a few minutes of sleep for!!!!

pegm
Mon, Jul-08-02, 11:34
Was gone out of town until Sunday, so could not post. Did pool jogging on Wed. for 30 min. Thur. was the 4th, so took the day off and went to the park -- walked around the park a lot, so did get some exercise!

Friday -- went to Mall of America, and walked around the mall for hours! Of course, I was not wearing my walking shoes, so my feet hurt!

Saturday -- went to Valley Fair Amusement Park -- walked all over the park several times in the HEAT!!!! It was so HOT and HUMID!!! Only 1 water fountain that I found with warm, yucky water, so we bought water ($2.50 for a 16 oz. bottle of water!). Did not drink enough, so I knew I was retaining water -- could not get my rings off until Sunday night, and they're usually loose!

Sunday -- went downtown Minneapolis to City Center and Nicolet Mall -- walked around a bit. Then on to a large strip mall at Woodbury suburb (on the way home), and walked around there.

No weight training for the past few days, unless you count carrying packages around the mall, and suitcases from the car to the hotel and back.

Monday: 4:30 a.m. -- pool jogging for 30 mins. and got in 3 sets on each leg, 20 reps of Tae-Bo kicks in pool before the storms reached us and I had to get out of the pool. It's clearing off, so hope I can finish the sets of kicks tonight when I get home from work, and do UBWO.

It's supposed to cool off after tomorrow through Friday (Wed. highs in the 60's!!!), so might need to do treadmill for a couple of days until it warms back up!

pegm
Tue, Jul-09-02, 11:05
Monday it did stop raining after I got home from work, so I finished the Tae-Bo kicks in the pool. Also did UBWO, same as last time.

Tuesday: 4:30 a.m. -- 30 mins. pool jogging -- have increased number of laps in 30 mins. by 10 in the past week!

pegm
Fri, Jul-12-02, 16:35
Wed. 30 min. pool jogging at 4:30 a.m.

Thur. -- overslept :mad: , so did workout when I got home -- 25 min. pool jogging; 15 min. LBWO in pool -- Tae-Bo kicks, treading, etc.

Friday: Too cold for pool!! Only 52 degees in the morning! Did treadmill -- incline varied between 4 and 6, speed between 4.0 and 4.4 mph, 2 miles.

UBWO w/free weights at home after work.

pegm
Mon, Jul-15-02, 11:25
Saturday: day off (unless you count walking all over the fairgrounds several times with the grandkids!)

Sunday: 30 min. pool jogging; 360 Tae-Bo kicks in pool (3 kicks each leg times 3 sets, and I've added the uppercut punch with the kicks now);

UBWO with free weights:

Chest Press: 12 x 20; 10 x 30; 8 x 30; 6 x 40; 12 x 30
Side Raises: 12 x 30
Rows: 12 x 20; 10 x 25; 8 x 35; 6 x 40; 12 x 35
Shoulder press: 12 x 20; 10 x 20; 8 x 30; 6 x 30; 12 x 20
Pulldowns: 12 x 65
Tricep: 12 x 20, 10 x 30, 8 x 30, 6 x 40, 12 x 30
Extension: 12 x 20
Seated Curls: 12 x 20, 10 x 20, 8 x 30, 6 x 30, 12 x 20
Standing Curls: 12 x 20

On Balance Ball: 60 Ab Crunches

Monday: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min. pool jogging (increased laps by 10!); 360 Tae-Bo kicks w/punches in pool. It's getting light later now -- didn't hear birds until 4:45. It was so great out there watching the sky get light and hearing the birds sing -- it was really hard to stop -- wanted to keep going!

Great news! My stall has finally broken -- lost 4 pounds this last week!!!!! Bought a new pair of crop pants in a smaller size (I haven't worn this size for a lot of years!!!) :cheer:

pegm
Tue, Jul-16-02, 06:14
30 min. pool jogging at 4:25 a.m. Plan LBWO for after work, and saving the Tae-Bo kicks for after work also (want to go in pool after work, and just laying on a lounger is too boring, but it makes a great reward for after a workout!)

pegm
Wed, Jul-17-02, 06:25
Today: 30 min. pool jogging; 360 Tae-Bo kicks and punches in pool. Was not the best workout I've ever done -- had a very hard time getting up this morning (was a very long day at work yesterday and I'm beat in spite of going to bed earlier last night).

pegm
Fri, Jul-19-02, 11:02
Forgot to post yesterday, so here's Thur. and Fri.:

Thur: 4:30 a.m. 30 min pool jogging; was going to do UBWO when I got home, but parents needed my help, so I missed this one. I'll try to make it up today when I get home.

Fri: 4:30 a.m. 30 min. pool jogging; 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches in pool.

pegm
Sun, Jul-21-02, 19:48
Sat. was day off -- made grandaughter's 1st birthday cake, went grocery shopping, etc.

Sunday was birthday party -- did workout after we got home. 20 min. pool jogging (it was SO HUMID -- seemed hard to breathe because of the heat and humidity, so only lasted 20 min.). But I did 10 min., then reversed direction and went against the current I had created. Was that ever strange! Felt like I was moving in slow motion -- it takes a lot to move against that current. Went another 5 min., then the current was moving with me again, so I reversed again -- was a pretty good workout. Then did 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches, and another 5 min. workout in the pool, for a total of 30 min.

Went in the house and did an old-fashioned workout -- cleaned house! Vaccumed, dusted, scrubbed floors, etc. All in all, it was a pretty good day.

pegm
Mon, Jul-22-02, 10:57
Mon., 4:30 a.m.: 30 min. pool jogging (80 laps); 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches; total 40 min. It was so HUMID -- part way through my run, my glasses steamed up solid -- had to take them off.

Rest of week is supposed to be cool -- starting tomorrow I might need to switch to the treadmill. I'll brave 60 degree temps in the pool if the water's warm, but it's supposed to drop into the 50's, and that's just a bit too chilly for me!

pegm
Tue, Jul-23-02, 11:23
Was too cold for pool this a.m., so I did treadmill. 2.4 miles, 4.0 - 4.4 mph, incine 4 - 7, 408 calories burned. Waited 1/2 hour afterward before taking a cool shower, and still an hour later I was too warm and still perspiring. Boy, do I miss that pool! I never get too hot!

Need to get back to weight training -- I've been letting it slide the past month -- been hit & miss -- only getting in 2 days per week most of the time. Tomorrow is son's last baseball game, so things should settle down then and I can get back to MWF weight routine (his games were M & W, so I tried changing weight days to STuTh, but it didn't work very well). Next week we're on vacation, so it might mean one more week after this of missing some weight training. The hotel does have a work-out room, but I don't know if I'll have either the time or energy to use it. I promised myself that I'll get back to a regular routine starting August 5!

pegm
Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:20
Missed workout yesterday -- overslept!

Thur: Rainy and still cold -- did treadmill today. It was humid in the house, so I got so overheated! I started to feel sick because I was so hot! Only did 1-1/2 miles instead of the ususal 2 miles; 4.2 - 4.4 mph. incline 6 most of the time (sometimes 7).

It's supposed to clear off after tonight and warm up again, so we'll heat the pool tonight, and hopefully I can go back to pool jogging again tomorrow a.m.!

Yesterday was son's last baseball game! We're on vacation next week, but after that I can get back into a more normal routine -- I really miss the weights! Need to get back to the usual 3 x per week instead of just hit or miss. Summer is great, but it wreaks havoc on the schedule!

pegm
Fri, Jul-26-02, 06:18
Thur. night: UBWO when I got home from work. Also did ab crunches on balance ball.

Friday: Pool jogging is back!!!! 4:30 a.m. -- did not get to see a sun rise today -- it's very foggy, but it warmed up a bit and stopped raining. 30 min. pool jogging; 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches; total 40 mins. I can really tell the difference between running in the pool and using the treadmill. After just a few days of not running in the pool, my legs were getting weaker -- had a hard time finishing! Forcast is to stay warm for the next few days, so hopefully I can keep running in the pool. I have an I.O.U. for 1 missed cardio session, and I plan to collect it tomorrow.

Really looking forward to this weekend -- want to sleep until I wake up tomorrow -- no alarm! Also want to get out into the pool for fun in the afternoon -- relax, soak up some sun, play with son (he's been at aunt's house for a few days -- I miss him!). DH and son leave Sun. a.m. for boyscout camp. They come back Tues. afternoon, and Wed. a.m. we leave for vacation!

pegm
Mon, Jul-29-02, 11:01
Sat: day off

Sun: 30 min pool jogging; 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches; treading water, bicycle kick (holding onto noodle float), etc. -- total 45 min. exercise in pool; then 60 ab crunches on exercise ball

Mon: 30 min pool jogging; 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches

pegm
Tue, Jul-30-02, 10:57
Tue: 30 min pool jogging. Slept late, so no time for Tae-Bo kicks.

Last post here until Monday -- leaving for vacation tomorrow!

pegm
Thu, Aug-15-02, 05:45
Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here! While I was on vacation, most of my exercise was walking around amusement parks, malls, Navy Pier, the Packer's Hall of Fame, etc. It's been difficult trying to get back into my normal routine. I overslept 2 days this week!

Tues: 30 min. on treadmill, incline 4 - 6, 4.0 - 4.4 mph, 370 calories burned.

Thur: 30 min. pool jogging, 360 Tae-Bo kicks.

It was great to be able to pool jog again. It stays dark now the entire time I'm running -- no more sunrise or birds singing -- only a few crickets chirping -- sadly, summer is on it's way out.

Today will probably be the last time I'll be able to pool jog until next week, and even then I'm not sure how much longer the weather will hold out. Tomorrow's forcast is a bit chilly, and we're leaving to go camping tomorrow afternoon. I'll have to go hiking on Sat. and maybe Sun. a.m. -- take the dogs with me -- they'll love it, especially since it's supposed to be cooler (highs in the low to mid 70's). Might get in some tubing if it's not too cool -- the creek running through the campgrounds is great for tubing. I'm really looking forward to the campfires, conversations with our friends, and just being outdoors.

pegm
Thu, Aug-22-02, 12:49
I am having a flare-up of (I believe) CFS. From what I have read, CFS and FM symptoms overlap quite a bit, but I get chills and then feel hot, and I have swollen lymph glands under my arms, and it seems those symptoms are more related to CFS. Started last week, not feeling sick, but not very energetic either. I also noticed the sore spots -- hurt when one of my cats or dog was on my lap, etc.

Could not sleep Sun. nite, was exhausted on Mon. I was so COLD -- chills, aches, did not feel well at all. Tues. same thing. Wed., I started feeling hot instead of cold, and it's the same today. I don't sleep well at all -- wake up over and over all night long, drenched with perspiration.

I have not been exercising because it takes everything I have to get through the day -- by the time I get home from work, I just want to lie down. I really hope this stops soon and I can get back into my exercise routine -- I miss it! But the way I feel right now, I just could not do anything.

pegm
Mon, Sep-09-02, 12:01
Wow, can't believe it's been that long since I've posted. Been on a bit of a hiatus from a combination of things -- vacations, not feeling up to speed, etc., but now I'm back!

Decided to try the 'planned cheat' per Nat's articles to see if I can get the weight loss started again. Haven't been too concerned for a while, been just holding steady, but not I want to get the scale and tape measure moving downward again. I tried to cheat on Saturday -- I really did! I bought some stuff that I thought I had been craving lately. I could not believe how hard it was to eat it! It really did not taste good to me -- left an icky after-taste in my mouth. I really was not a pleasant experience! But, I did carb load! Weight was up 7 pounds the next day!!!! Now I need to work like a demon to deplete the stores, so here goes!!

Sunday: 35 mins. pool jogging (can't believe it was in the 90's in September in northern Wisconsin!); 360 Tae-Bo kicks in pool; 10 mins. water exercises (treading water, bicycle type pedaling while holding onto a noodle, etc.). 45 mins. upper body workout with free weights (took it easy on the rows -- back has been touchy lately and I've had a ruptured disc in the past).

Monday: 4:45 a.m. -- 35 mins. pool jogging (can't believe it was still hot!); 360 Tae-Bo kicks in pool; 5 mins. water exercises (treading water, bicycle type pedaling while holding onto a noodle, etc.).

I feel as though I am already back into ketosis -- had that awful taste in my mouth about an hour ago, so I'm hoping that I am.

I pushed the weights pretty hard, so I'm hurting today even though I took glutamine.

Food:

Sunday:

2 slices deli sliced turkey lunch meat w/mayo and avacado
1/4 cup blueberries

Salad made with romaine, leaf lettuce, spinach, bacon, tomatoes, and mayo (BLT salad)

1 oz. cheese

1 protein shake w/flax oil

12 oz. grilled ribeye steak; salad w/oil and vinegar dressing; brussels sprouts w/butter

LOTS of water!!

Monday:
2 slices deli sliced turkey lunch meat w/mayo and avacado
1/4 cup blueberries

2 oz. leftover ribeye steak; 1/2 cup raw broccoli w/dip

Sald made with romaine, leaf lettuce, spinach, leftover ribeye steak, w/oil and vinegar dressing (added flax oil to salad dressing)

Planned for dinner (it's cooking in the roaster at home while I'm here at work): Spare ribs and sauerkraut

Planned snack: protein shake

Total calories from Fitday for Monday: 2,047, 73% fat

Hope this works. I'm only planning a 'cheat day' once a month or so -- I think that once a week would be too much for me. I already tend to lose and gain and re-lose the same couple of pounds over and over for weeks before it's finally gone for good, so doing it weekly would probably send me over the edge! Wish me luck!

pegm
Tue, Sep-10-02, 11:29
Could not get up this morning to do a.m. cardio -- will go home and do it after work today. I might be able to pool jog -- the cold front moved in this morning, but the rain's stopped now and it's supposed to be mid-70's -- if the water's warm enough, I should be able to run in it without feeling cold. If not, I'll either walk the dogs or use the treadmill.

Yesterday went o.k. for food, but it was a bit strange last night. I was so HUNGRY! Now, today, I'm back to forcing myself to eat because I'm not hungry. Hope things get back to an even keel soon.

pegm
Wed, Sep-11-02, 11:48
Went home last night and did pool jogging -- 30 mins.; pluse 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches in pool; 5 mins. 'bicycle' peddling while holding a 'noodle'.

I was going to go to the gym at lunch, but could not find my lock! I'm sure DH knows where it is, but could not reach him (he was already at work when I discovered it was not in my gym bag. So, now when I get home, I'll need to do LBWO with free weights in addition the the pool jogging (the pool is heating while I'm at work -- it's in the 70's today). I'll go to the gym on Friday at lunch time for UBWO.

My glycogen supply was already depleted yesterday -- I only had a fraction of the energy for running in the pool that I had on Sunday and Monday. I'll check my carb count at Fiday -- might need to increase it a bit or my workouts will not be very productive!

pegm
Thu, Sep-12-02, 11:42
Went home from work and did 30 min. pool jogging. Did not do the Tae-Bo kicks because it was LBWO day. Did LBWO after pool jogging -- pushed the weights up, and I can really feel it today! Taking glutamine -- hope it helps! Tonight plan on 30 mins of pool jogging and the Tae-Bo kicks. Tomorrow is LBWO at gym.

One of the things I want to do after the pool is shut down for the season (which, if the weather forcast is right, will probably be this Saturday -- highs in the 60's and rain) is to mix up the cardio instead of doing the same thing each time. Plan on doing treadmill, Tae-Bo, Aerobics, etc. instead of just one thing -- might confuse the old bod into giving up a couple of pounds!

Been trying to keep the calories at 10 times body weight to see if it will work this time. It really is hard -- most of the time I have to force myself to eat! Every time I've done heavy workouts and kept the calories up, I stall and don't lose any weight. So far the weight is staying the same this time. I doubt that I'm gaining the same amount of muscle as I'm losing fat -- hasn't worked that way yet, so why would it start now? I am going to stick with the plan and give it at least a month. If at the end of one month there is no change in either my weight or measurements, then I'll have to try to come up with a different plan. I will do a 'planned cheat' as Nat's thread suggested in about 1 month (I have a lot of weight to lose, so it seems like once a month would be appropriate). Keeping my fingers crossed!

pegm
Tue, Sep-17-02, 11:33
Did pool jogging on Friday. Just went for a short walk on Sat.

Monday: 2 miles on treadmill, 4.0 - 4.5 mph, incline 4 - 6 -- treadmill seems easy after the pool jogging!

Started back at gym (been using free weights at home most of summer). Did UBWO -- used the same as when I left off end of June. I'm a little sore today, but not bad at all!

Did not do a.m. cardio -- today will be my last day of pool jogging until next year. It's going to be in the 80's today, so we're heating the pool, and I'm going home after work to pool jog. (Did not want to do it this morning -- it was only in the 50's!) I will really miss that pool -- the treadmill just isn't the same.

Tomorrow, it will be back to the treadmill again. I need to go out of town for work either next week or the week after -- that will put a damper on the workouts! Maybe the hotel will have an exercise room!

pegm
Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:27
Wow, can't believe how long it's been since I've posted here. I have been exercising in the interim, just not as regularly as I should. Now, though, I'm finally getting back into the routine. We were on the road so much that it was difficult; also, I really did not feel all that well for a while -- was just wiped out! I think all of the travel was getting to me. I did, however, manage to get in some more pool jogging, but not in my pool (it's winterized now -- tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the 20's, and we might see that awful 4-letter word -- SNOW!!!! I'm sure it will only be a few flurries and will melt immediately, but I am NOT ready for it yet!) I was in Tampa on a business trip and did get in 3 out of 4 days of pool jogging at the hotel pool, which, fortunately for me, was deserted at 6:00 a.m. Unfortunately, there was no time for weights that week -- way too busy a schedule. Also, with all of the travel and business-type meetings, I got way off track with my eating. I'm also back on track again with that, so I'm feeling much better.

So, Monday I started back on a regular schedule and strict low carb. Monday: 30 mins. on treadmill, 2.2 miles, 4.2 - 4.5 mph, incline 3 - 6. LBWO at gym.

Tuesday: 30 min. on exercise bike.

I am trying to vary my cardio, so tomorrow I plan on Tae-Bo and UBWO at gym. I am also keeping the carbs under 20 for at least a week or 2 to de-tox after eating too many carbs the past couple of weeks.

Also, added kelp to my list of supplements on advice of a former co-worker in the Tampa office. She went from a size 22 to a 10 -- lost 1/2 of her body weight over about an 18 month period. She said the only thing that changed is that she added kelp to her diet (she is not doing low carb, so I would guess that she also cut some calories; but she is not doing low fat either, because she dipped her crab in the butter at the restaurant). She did not add any exercise. I guess that the kelp won't hurt and it's relatively inexpensive, so I thought I would give it a try for a few months to see if it helps. My best guess, though, is that the kelp was of minimal help in her weight loss, so I will be quite pleasantly surprised if it helps me!

pegm
Wed, Oct-16-02, 11:56
Wednesday:

Went to family room at 4:30 a.m. to do Tae-Bo, and my tapes were missing! I spent so much time searching through the tapes in the cabinet that it was too late to do cardio! The empty cartons were in the cabinet, but no tapes! DH finally pulled out the T.V., and there they were -- on the floor behind the T.V. stand! Children must have taken them out of the VCR and set them on top of the T.V. and they fell behind it! So, to make a long story longer -- I will have to do Tae-Bo tonight when I get home from work. :mad:

Went to gym on lunch hour and did UBWO -- NEED GLUTAMINE!!! I can already feel it!

Tomorrow, cardio will be treadmill -- I shouldn't have any problem finding that!

pegm
Thu, Oct-17-02, 11:30
Tae-Bo went well -- did 30 mins. after work yesterday.

Well, I would not have had a problem finding the treadmill if I had not overslept! So, will need to do cardio tonight after work. But that's alright -- son is going to a friend's after school, so I won't need to be there to help him with his homework until after 7:00. I will either do treadmill or, if the weather cooperates, take dogs for a 2 mile walk and stop into my parent's on the way home.

We have a lunch meeting tomorrow, so I could not do LBWO on lunch hour. I could have gone after work, but IT"S A FRIDAY!!!! So, I went on my lunch hour today instead. I can really feel the difference as my body is depleted of carbs -- Monday I could handle a lot more weight and reps than I could today. I was shakey at times.

I still get negative on the ketostix. It is very discouraging -- I've been totally faithful -- carbs have been less than 20 every day (per Fitday). In the entire 15 months I've done low carb, I've only had a positive reaction on the ketostix twice, and one time was on the third day of a fat fast. My dream is to, just for a while at least. get the stix a color other than tan!!!!

I finally invested in a new scale -- the old one was so unreliable that if you stepped on it 3 times in a row, you got 3 different (wildly varied) weights. I feel more like I'll know exactly how much I'm losing now. Monday is weigh-in day!

pegm
Fri, Oct-18-02, 06:12
Thur. after work -- took dogs for a walk -- 30 min., 2 miles. Boy are my quads and calfs sore! I really pushed the weights!

Fri., 4:30 a.m. - 30 min. on exercise bike (my least favorite type of exercise, but at least it's a bit of variety).

pegm
Mon, Oct-21-02, 11:50
No particular exercise over the weekend. Just usual housework, and chased 15 month-old grandchild around for a while.

Monday: 30 mins. on treadmill; incline 4 - 6; 4.0 - 5.0 mph; 2.2 miles, 404 calories burned.

At gym on lunch hour: UBWO.

Weigh-in went well -- I really have my hopes up that I can break 200 and stay that way. I did once before, but tend to gain and lose the same few pounds over and over again -- it came back, found a few friends, and never went away. The less than 200 weight was also on my old scale, which I know was inacurate. The new one, I believe is accurate, so if I go below 200 on this one, it should be real! My goal is (I know that I should not be in a rush, but I am so excited to start losing again) to be less than 200 by this time next week. There, I've said it! So, now I need to keep up everything I've been doing to make it happen. Unfortunately, ketostix are still negative -- what I wouldn't give for just a couple days of some other color besides tan!!!!!

pegm
Tue, Oct-22-02, 11:25
Today, 4:30 a.m. -- 30 min. on exercise bike -- this is probably my least favorite exercise! While I was at the gym yesterday for UBWO, there was a class in session -- 'Body Pump' -- it looked very interesting. I asked a co-worker who is in the class about it, and I might try it. She said it's at 12:10 on Mondays, so I can go during my lunch hour. It's using free weights to do squats, lunges, presses, etc. to upbeat music as a class. She said you set your own weights -- it might take a couple of sessions before I know how much weight to use for each set.

pegm
Tue, Oct-22-02, 11:30
Oh, yes, forgot to add that last night when I got home I walked the dogs for 1-1/2 miles! Total miles for Monday -- almost 4 miles, plus UBWO at gym!

pegm
Wed, Oct-23-02, 11:34
Wed.

Overslept, so I'll do Tae Bo after work. LBWO at gym on lunch hour.

I have never done weights on such a low carb count before, and it's really taking it's toll. The most I could leg press today was 90 pounds!!! I really don't want to increase carbs, though, because it seems as though the weight loss has already stopped, and the ketostix still are negative. I lost the initial few pounds of water, regained one pound, and now I'm at a stand still again. So, my dream (mini goal) of breaking 200 is a long ways off -- I would need to lose 6 pounds to attain the goal, and at the rate I lose, it will be at least 3 months, if not longer! So, for now, I'll just concentrate on getting as fit as possible, staying on track with my meals, and staying healthy. If that's the best I can do for myself -- get and stay fit and healthy, then so be it. The point is that I feel great and want to stay that way!

I would love to 'carb up' with high glycemic junk on a weekend, but I've tried it a couple of times, and it just does not work for me. For one thing, I have a hard time getting back to low carb after eating the junk. Also, I gain a few pounds during that day, and it takes the whole week to lose them. By the time I've lost the weight I gained during the carb up phase, it's time to carb up again! Can't see any point in losing, gaining, and losing the same few pounds week after week. So, I'll have to find a better way. Been thinking about trying the Zone -- no hurry, but still thinking about it.

pegm
Thu, Oct-24-02, 11:17
Went home from work and did Tae Bo. It was a really terrific workout! Between the LBWO at gym and the Tae Bo yesterday, I can really feel the sore muscles on my lower body today, so I must have done something right!

Was too tired to get up again this morning. But, that's alright. Instead of using the treadmill, I can go home and take the dogs for a nice walk ( 2 or 3 miles). I can get some fresh air, a good workout, and the dogs will benefit, too. That beats going on the treadmill any time.

Tomorrow will be UPBW at gym, then on Monday I'm going to try the Body Pump class as my LBWO. Hope I can survive that one -- I'm sure I'll be sore (LOTS of glutamine, coming up!)

pegm
Fri, Oct-25-02, 12:00
Fri. -- slept later again -- I have been SO TIRED lately!!!!! So, I'll need to do cardio when I get home. Would like to walk the dogs as I did yesterday, but it's raining today -- 70% chance for the rest of the day -- and it's a COLD rain! It's so COLD the past couple of weeks, and it's not supposed to get any better. Weekend highs of low 40's, and next week, highs in the 30's!!!! That's December weather, not October. It feels more like Christmas than like Halloween.

Did UBWO at gym on lunch. Did a LOT of reps at lower weight to really exhaust muscles!!!!

pegm
Tue, Oct-29-02, 12:17
Tried to post here yesterday on lunch hour, but could not get into the forum -- don't know if this site was down or if it was the server at work.

Didn't do much exercise over weekend -- usual housework, etc.

Monday: 2.2 miles walk with dogs for cardio. LBWO at gym. I decided to wait until next Monday to start Body Pump class because my back has been twinging lately and I don't want to irritate it.

This morning: 30 mins. on exercise bike. Hope the weather holds out -- it's cloudy but not raining or snowing right now -- want to walk dogs after work.

Had a bad day yesterday. Planned on trying the Zone diet. I think I'm going to have problems -- fat is too low, and I was very hungry! Did a BAD thing -- ate one of son's miniature chocolate bars! I'll never be certain, but I think I would have been able to resist if I had not felt hungry. And, really, at that moment, I think a bit of protein would have satisfied me, but veggies or fruit did not appeal at the time, and I'd had my allotment of protein and fat for the day per Zone guidelines. I don't know if I'll adjust to this lower fat thing. Also, I don't think I'm doing this correctly -- calories are way too low (of course, I increased them with the candy!), and fat ratio was too high, but I think it's because the calories were so low. Not sure what I'm doing wrong (besides eating something I shouldn't).

pegm
Wed, Oct-30-02, 13:13
Wanted to walk dogs last night, but grandson needed help with his homework, and it was dark by the time we were done. Thought we needed to get it done right away because he was supposed to have a Boy Scout meeting. After it was too late to walk, Scoutmaster called and postponed meeting to tonight! Also, if his son is still sick, they might move the meeting to my house! Most times I wouldn't mind, but it's my 31st wedding anniversary today, I have to work until 5:00, and if they have the meeting at our house, I'll need to rush home from work, throw dinner together, and clean up the house a bit. Then we'll have the meeting, and by the time it's done, DH will be going to bed -- we'll hardly see each other! I really hope they don't need to move the meeting to my house!

Today: 30 min. Tae Bo. Tae Bo went well -- got a LOT of anger out! It's been a horrible emotional roller coaster for the past 2 months with my youngest daughter (actually -- it's been going on for years, but the past two months have been especially bad). We're raising her son (he's 9 years old) because she abandonded him when he was 14 months old (she was only 16 when he was born). She' been living in Chicago, has had a boyfriend she's living with who seems to be quite responsible -- good job, tells her she should take more responsiblity, etc. She decided 2 months ago that she was leaving him and told her son that she was moving home for a while. He was so excited! Then, she changed her mind and stayed in Chicago instead. He was devasted! She got an appartment with another woman, and they partied all the time -- just drank and partied. She told her son she was coming home for his birthday in Sept., but not only did she not come home, she did not even call him! In fact, she didn't call or contact us for 3 weeks. Then, suddenly, the boyfriend called and said she had come back to him. She was calling us again -- they are supposed to be buying a house, getting married -- everything seemed fine. Now, suddenly, no warning, she took off again. Told the boyfriend she was going across the street to buy something, and didn't come back. She took off drinking with another girlfriend! I am so sick of her behaviour and the way she treats her son! I am so angry at her -- she needs to grow up! She's 25, not 15 anymore. She's missed holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother's Day, her son's birthday, several times in his short life. I don't know how long this spree will last, but I'm afraid one of these times something is going to happen to her while she's out drinking. She needs help -- her boyfriend told her that he would help her -- get her whatever help she needs, whether it's treatment, counseling, medication, whatever, but she won't listen. So, the exercise is my stress relief, and boy do I need it! At least I'm not smoking anymore -- walking, Tae Bo, weights, etc. are a much healthier form of stress relief then smoking or eating!

Also did UBWO at gym on lunch hour. Workout was great -- had a LOT more energy from increased carbs (more veggies & fruits).

Tomorrow: plan to do treadmill in the a.m., go to school in the afternoon to watch the Halloween parade, help with classes games (I'm the 'Room Mother' this year), then walk grandson around trick or treating.

pegm
Mon, Nov-04-02, 07:20
DH & I took grandson and a friend to Wisconsin Dells over the weekend. It was a HUGE hotel complex -- so I got lots of walking in! There were multiple buildings, all connected, so you could walk from the hotel room to water park, restaurant, etc., or you could take a 'shuttle van' from building to building. We, of course, walked -- it was probably 1/2 a mile from our room to the water park and 3/4 of mile to the restaurant -- so I did get exercise in both Sat. and Sun.

Monday: 32 mins. on treadmill -- 4.0 to 7.0 mph., incline 4 - 6.

Have a dentist appt. and need to leave work early, so I did not want to take an hour long lunch today -- I'll either do free weights at home tonight, or go to gym on lunch hour tomorrow -- I'll see how late it is after dentist appt.

pegm
Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:12
Monday, did free weights at home after work -- UBWO.

Tuesday -- overslept :mad: , so could not do a.m. cardio. Also, had appt. after work, it was raining at lunch time so I could not walk during lunch, so, no cardio on Tuesday. I'll have to make up for it by doing an extra day (usually take Sunday off, but I'll do cardio on Sunday).

Wed.: 30 min. on exercise bike in the a.m. LBWO at gym on lunch hour.

Tomorrow: plan to do Tae Bo in the a.m., then walk for 20 - 30 min. outside on my lunch hour.

I'm taking Friday off work to strip and refinish my kitchen cabinets, so I'll do UBWO with free weights at home (gym is near my work, not my home; no point in getting ready and driving 10 miles to the gym and back just to do workout when I have weights at home).

This Monday I'm going to start the Body Pump class on my lunch hour. Hope I can still walk on Tuesday!!!

pegm
Thu, Nov-07-02, 12:43
a.m.: 30 min Tae Bo

lunch time: 30 min. walk outside! It's a beautiful fall day here -- in the 50's and sunny. Felt great to get outside; treadmills, exercise bikes and Tae Bo tapes might be good exercise, but nothing beats a walk outside on a beautiful day -- it feeds the spirit while subtracting the body fat.

Tomorrow and Sat. are iffy; not sure that I'll need any additional exercise or lifting. Plan on taking off my kitchen cabinet doors and stipping the old finish off both the doors and the cabinets. While the stripper is working, I'll be outside doing lots of yard work: raking leaves, planting flower bulbs, digging up old flower beds, etc. It's supposed to be much like today for the next 2 days, maybe even a bit warmer (close to 60!).

Been trying to follow the Zone eating plan. Haven't quite got the hang of it yet, but I'm getting there. Tracking calories, I've been at a minimum of 1500 per day -- some days higher, so I'm not going too low. Eating more variety of veggies and fruits, adding some peanut butter, yogurt, and cottage cheese -- even an occasional glass of milk -- is such a pleasant change. Yes, I have felt hungry a few times. But, not ravenous, and it is actually a GOOD feeling! I really anticipate my meals and appreciate them. It's also solved my 'irregularity' problem, and I actually have LESS cravings than I did before. The main difference that I can see is that it takes more planning to get the carb/fat/protein balance right. Yes, I'm eating less fat and more veggies and fruits, but I really like that. It's more what I anticipated Atkin's maintenance plan to be like, and I have so looked forward to that! So far, I have lost 2 pounds this week, so the change has not caused a weight gain. Hope this continues to work for me. At least I feel really good and the increased carbs have helped my workouts -- I have LOTS of energy!

pegm
Fri, Nov-15-02, 12:04
Not much to report, but thought I would post my non-progress! Worked all day and evening on Fri., Sat., and Sun. (12 - 16 hours each day) trying to get my kitchen cabinets refinished. Made progress, but there's a LONG way to go (and I only have this weekend and next to get them completely done!)

By Monday my hands were so swollen that I could not even close them (from holding the putty knife and sander for 3 days) and my left hip was so painful that I could barely walk.

The hip is now improved, but not completely healed. The hands are mostly better. Needless to say, I did not do any cardio -- the exercise bike, walking, or Tae Bo kicks would have been too painful. My hands could barely hold a pencil -- forget trying to hold weights!

What a mess!!! If I had any idea what I was getting myself into, I don't know if I would have started this. The entire contents of my cabinets is in various boxes scattered throughout the house. There was sanding dust everywhere. I used a mask for the dust, but then my eyeglasses kept fogging up so I couldn't see very well. I didn't have goggles, so I had to stop occasionally to use eyewash to get the grit out of my eyes. By Monday, both of my eyes were swollen and bloodshot, and pink above and below the eyes. To top it all off, I had to listen to my DH complain about the mess ever since we started the project. And the worst part is that we're not done yet!

The refinishing saga continues -- starting where I left off right after work this afternoon. Hopefully I won't be in the same shape this Monday! I MISS MY EXERCISE!!!! But, now that I've started the cabinets I have to finish them (having lots of company, starting with Thanksgiving all the way through Christmas). All I can do at this point is to keep telling myself how nice they will look when they're done -- it's the only thing that keeps me going.

pegm
Tue, Dec-10-02, 12:37
Been nearly a month since I posted. I have been SO SICK!!! Got a very bad cold -- started with chills, etc., Nov. 17, and have not gotten well yet! Went to doctor and got meds last week, but I still have a long ways to go. I'm coughing so badly, and have bouts of feeling short of breath and wheezy.

I still have not gotten back into an exercise routine -- been expending what little energy I have trying to kick this bug out of my system.

I can tell that I have not been exercising -- pants feel tighter (even though scale has not moved) -- afaid I'm losing muscle from the lack of exercise.

If I'm not well by Monday, I'm going back to the doctor. Don't know if there's much more they can do -- everyone else who's had this crud says it seems to last forever (one co-worker is on her third round of antibiotics).

Hopefully, by this time next week, I'll be well enough to post what I'm supposed to post here -- my exercise routine!

pegm
Thu, Jan-02-03, 12:23
Well, it's taken a long time, but I was finally able to start back into an exercise routine today. It took a long time to get over the crud. As the doc said -- it keeps 'recycling' -- every time you think you're almost well it knocks you down again. Finally got an antibiotic and it worked.

Today: 1.3 miles on the treadmill (4.0 to 6.0 mph; incline 2.0 - 6.0). Then walked outside today on lunch hour for 20 mins. It's sunny and brisk -- must be in the 20's.

My goal is to get in at least 45 mins. aerobic exercise 3 days per week; 30 mins. per day another 2 or 3 days per week; and weights 3 days per week. I'm going to get fit if it kills me!

It's still brown here -- no snow at all. In the past I would have been happy about that, but this year I really want snow so I can use my Christmas gift -- snowshoes! I can't wait to try them out, but I guess I'll have to wait until the weather cooperates and we get snow. One internet site about snowshoeing said it burns 420 to 1,000 calories per hour. (I would think the 1,000 calories per hour would be on mountainous terrain. Mine would probably be closer to the 420 calories per hour). I also got the poles, so it's a total body workout -- both upper and lower. The best exercise motivator for me is to give me a new toy, and the snowshoes are it!

pegm
Fri, Jan-03-03, 13:09
Overslept this morning. Was going to walk at lunch, but found out my mother won't be coming home from the hospital until at least Monday, so went to hospital to visit her instead because I have plans for after work today. If I can't get exercise in tonight, I'll just have to do aerobic exercise both Sat. and Sun. Monday I start back at gym on lunch hour doing weights.

pegm
Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:54
Still having problems with hip pain -- definitely is destroying my exercise routine! Had a recommendation for a new doc and I went to her two weeks ago. Told her the hip has been hurting since November. Some days it's so painful that my eyes water just from walking from my desk to the printer! Other days it's much better, but it always hurts. She did a brief exam and agreed with me that it did not appear to be a muscle injury. She said it could be either a cyst or tumor! Then she told me to just put some ice on it and wait and see what happens! I could not believe it! I've already been waiting over three months! It's obviously not going away by itself. No x-ray, test, nothing to find out exactly what it is!

No, I did not tell her this -- I decided that if I had to tell her what to do that she is not the doctor for me.

So, I have an appointment on March 21 with a different doctor, and this time I will demand to find out what is wrong and how to fix it!

It's really bothering me that she said it could be a tumor. My friend's mother had hip pain that went on for quite some time, and her doctor told her that it was arthritis. By the time they found the malignant tumor that was really causing the pain, the cancer had spread so much that the chemo and radiation did not help.

I will be so glad to get this fixed. It hurts just sitting, it hurts when I stand, and it hurts when I walk. I cannot figure out what makes it better or worse -- the pain just gets better and worse without rhyme or reason.

Hopefully, the next time I post here will be to report some exercise because the hip is healed!

del
Tue, Mar-04-03, 21:24
Make sure you find a doctor that will do the tests necessary to find out what the problem is. Good luck to you and my a God bless.

pegm
Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:57
Thanks, Dell -- I am hoping the new doctor will be a good one and I will push for test, if necessary. Thanks for your support.

Peg

pegm
Tue, Mar-18-03, 07:17
Well, the hip is feeling much better, so yesterday I started back walking. My doctor's appt. is Friday, so if the exercise causes it to get worse before then, at least he might be able to figure out what is causing the pain because it will be irritated.

Yesterday: walked with the dogs and Bobby - 1-1/2 miles after work. Weather was warm and sunny -- such a beautiful day! Rest of week is supposed to be downhill (weather wise -- snow by Wed. and highs in the 40's after today).

Today: walked on treadmill: 25 mins. (accidentally bumped the emergency stop plug and lost info when treadmill stopped, but speed was 4 mhp., incline #4 -- trying to ease back into it and not cause the hip to flare up too much!)

Plan to walk with dogs and Bobby after work today again -- today's high is supposed to be about 50 degrees, so it should be nice, but not as nice as th 68 degrees it was yesterday.

Should also start back doing weights -- at least the upper body. If I don't do much bending or twisting, it shouldn't irritate the hip, I hope.

All the beautiful weather gave me a major case of spring fever. Also, am getting very anxious for it to warm up and get the pool open and heated -- can't wait to get back into pool jogging! It's the ultimate! With the price of natural gas up so high, heating the pool could get very expensive -- might have to wait for warmer weather.

pegm
Wed, Mar-19-03, 11:21
walked dogs after work last night -- about 1-1/4 miles.

This morning, hip was very painful -- did not use treadmill. It's beginning to feel better now (noon), so plan on walking after work today. It will get late -- won't get home until 5:30 tonight, and likely won't be able to walk outside (forcast is for rain this afternoon and evening), but can use treadmill while dinner cooks!

Really looking forward to what the new doc has to say about that hip! Hope he can fix it.

pegm
Fri, Mar-21-03, 17:55
Well, I finally got into the new doc today. I must say that so far I really like him. He said that the hip pain had been going on long enough and we need to find out what's wrong. After an exam, he referred me to a surgeon. He thinks it could be a hernia! He also asked a lot of questions, and when he found out that I'd had a period after not having one for over a year, he set up an ultra sound and referred me to a gynocologist -- he said it didn't seem quite right. Even though I do know of someone else who had that happen, and everything was fine, I'm also a bit concerned about that.

So, at least he is doing something to find out what's wrong and get it fixed. He seemed very thorough.

I must say, though, that I now I'm worried about surgery if it is a hernia! The thought of surgery is terrifying to me -- I'm getting the shakes just sitting here thinking about it! If that's what it is, hope it heals in time for pool jogging!

Kayceecan
Thu, Mar-27-03, 11:59
:wave:

Hi Peg, I responded to your "internet search" question. I thought I'd respond here to your gym log and your journal too...just in case you didn't see it on the other thread.

Have you tried the Wisconsin Board of Medical Examiners? I have found info at Arizona's BOMEX site...not a lot....but if they've been sued..etc. Good luck.

I hope this url brings you there...once there, I think you'd look under "licensing".....Just poke around... KC

http://www.drl.state.wi.us/

pegm
Thu, Mar-27-03, 13:09
Kaycee,

Thanks so much for your response and the link. I did find the surgeon there and the disciplinary action said 'no', so I would think he would be good.

Thanks again!

Peg

pegm
Tue, Apr-01-03, 12:57
Well, been through a ton of dr. appointments! Surgeon could not find a hernia, so ordered a CAT scan. Gynocologist took tissue samples from uterus for a biopsy. Had an ultra sound. Today had the CAT scan.

I WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER CAT SCAN AS LONG AS I LIVE! First I had to fast overnight -- not even water allowed -- I was so thirsty I thought I would die. Then had to drink 60 oz. of some liquid. Then they tried to start the IV. After seven tries by two people (and twice the IV infiltrated, so I have fluid in the tissues of both arms) they wrapped both of my arms in hot towels to try to get the veins to surface. Then they finally sent me down to anisthesiology (sp?) to have a doc start the IV. When I got back, they had taken in an emergency patient and I had to wait in the hall. Then, finally, they got me in. Also did an 'enema' of contrast liquid -- it was HORRIBLE!!!!! After it was all finally done (three and one-half hours later), I ended up getting sick all over myself and the hall -- couldn't make it to the bathroom. Was locked in the bathroom there for about a half hour -- nurse kindly brought me washcloths and towels and rest of my clothes -- I barely made it home before getting sick again. Was planning on going in to work afterward the test, but called my boss and told her that I had to go home instead.

All I can say is that this had better be worth it! I am sitting here, still feeling sick, both arms HURT, and that test had better tell me what's wrong with the hip/groin and what's causing the pain.

I've decided that if the test still doesn't show what's wrong, I'm just going to start up with my exercise program again, and if it hurts, it hurts! At least, if nothing in particular shows up on the test, I feel fairly confident that the exercise is not aggravating an injury -- and that's been my main concern (sort of 'if it hurts to do that, then don't do it'). The pain is something I can handle -- I just thought that I had injured a muscle and needed to rest it to heal it. But if that's not the case, then bring on the exercise!

I bought a pedometer that measures your 'steps' in a day -- goal is 10,000 steps per day. Several people from work got together and ordered them -- it came yesterday. Looking forward to getting back into the swing again!

pegm
Mon, Apr-14-03, 07:15
Well, (crossed fingers) I think the hip has finally healed!

Sunday: 2 miles walking
2 miles biking

Monday: 2 miles on treadmill 4:30 a.m. - incline 4, 3.5 - 6.0 mph

Planned for rest of Monday: walk at lunch outside -- weather is beautiful (going to be 85 degrees today) and want to enjoy it!

After work: Walk dogs 2.0 miles -- they need the exercise, too

Total: 6 miles walking! IT FEELS GREAT!!!!!!

Plan on catching up with cardio this week -- lots of walking. Will start weights next week.

Menu today:

Breakfast: Flax-o-Meal w/added blueberries and strawberries
Morning snack: broccoli w/dip
Lunch: roast chicken; wild rice; broccoli (cooked)
Afternoon snack: cantalope
Dinner: chicken stir fry
Evening snack: 1/2 oz almonds

pegm
Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:43
Tue: 4:30 a.m. - 32 mins. on treadmill. Also walked at lunch for 30 mins. It's the last nice day we'll have -- rain is supposed to move in this afternoon, then cold front -- Thur forcast is 36 and SNOW! sleet, ice, freezing rain! YUK!!! so I had to get outside for a while! Weather forcast looks bad for the next week! Oh well, at least we had 2 nice days (yesterday was 87 degrees!!! and today is 77).

Plan to walk dogs after work (2 miles). If it's storming, I'll use the exercise ball instead.

I'm getting my energy back! When I couldn't exercise, I was SO TIRED!!! It's amazing how great I feel again!

pegm
Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:18
Wed: 4:30 a.m. - 32 mins on treadmill. It's lunch time and pouring rain today, so no walk at lunch. Getting home late -- meeting DH after work (and I work until 5:00 today) -- buying the rest of the groceries I need for Easter dinner, then we're eating at a restaurant.

Plan on coming in to work VERY early tomorrow (want to be here by 5:30 a.m.), so will need to walk after work. Have an appt. at 2:00 and am taking Friday off work, so want to get in extra hours so I don't have to use so much PTO.

pegm
Tue, Apr-22-03, 12:19
Wow -- get busy with Easter prep and don't post for a few days -- it's hard to find your gym log! That's great -- lots of others exercising!

Thur.: 2 miles on treadmill
Fri: lots of housework and 2 miles on treadmill
Sat: Mostly cooking for Easter
Sun: Lots of company -- no planned exercise
Mon: 4:30 a.m.; 2 miles on treadmill
Tue: Plan to walk dogs 2 miles after work. Was really tired this morning and couldn't get up! Went to co-worker's house at lunch to see her new house and her kitten (he is SO CUTE!!!). So, I'll need to walk after work, which is great -- the weather is getting so nice!

t's supposed to be sunny and 60's all week -- couldn't ask for better walking weather! Plan to walk on treadmill in a.m., maybe go for walk at lunch (I'm trying to convince co-worker to walk with me at lunch, but don't know if I've succeeded), and also walk dogs after work. I would really like to get at least 5 miles per day in on a regular basis -- hope it will get the metabolism going -- weight loss stalled and started re-gaining weight when my hip was injured. Now that it's healed, I'd like to make up for lost exercise!

pegm
Thu, Apr-24-03, 12:22
Tue: Walked dogs after work -- all the way into town and back! Grandson walked with me into town, but when DH drove by on the way home from the store, he flagged him down and rode back home. Wimp!!!! It was only about 4 miles!

Wed.: 4:30 a.m. – 2 miles on treadmill; went home after work and walked dogs 2-1/2 miles; did some raking in the yard; rode bike 2 miles. Weather is still beautiful – 60’s and lots of sun!

Thur.: weighed myself 1st thing this morning. Been doing lots of exercise, really watching everything I eat, measuring everything, plugging it into Fitday, etc. Been totally perfect, and for all of the extra exercise and careful monitoring of what I’ve eaten my reward at the end of one week is – I GAINED 5 POUNDS!!!!!!! Could not believe it!!!!

Instead of walking on treadmill, I laid down on the couch and felt very sorry for myself – actually wallowed in self-pity quite nicely. Fortunately, by the time I got to work, I shook myself out if it. Of course, then I kicked myself for missing the morning walk – if I’m not losing weight when I am walking, what’s going to happen when I don’t???? If I give up now, what am I accomplishing? Also realized that I ate ham yesterday, and maybe today was not the best day to weigh myself – I’m sure I’ve retained water from all that salt. Actually, I don’t think I can even eat ham anymore. I really did not like it – tasted way too salty. Everyone else liked it just fine, so I think it’s just me – I’m not used to any processed foods any more, and they all taste too salty to me.

I brought my walking shoes with me to work, and went for a terrific walk on lunch hour – must have been a very good pace because I went much further in the same length of time than I ever have before! Also plan to walk dogs when I get home from work. So, I missed one morning workout – not the end of the world by any means. And, tomorrow is another day.

pegm
Fri, Apr-25-03, 07:35
Friday: 4:30 a.m. - 2 miles on treadmill. Brought walking shoes and will walk at lunch. Not sure if I'll be able to walk after work -- have a fund raiser to attend tonight.

Sat: I won't be able to walk until later -- have to take grandson to early morning function, then he has a soccer game at noon. Weather is still supposed to be nice through Sat., so can take dogs for a LONG walk in the afternoon -- after the soccer game and before 5:00 church.

Sunday: plan to walk (probably will be on treadmill - forcast is for rain Sunday) and begin weights again.

pegm
Mon, Apr-28-03, 11:45
Monday: 4:30 a.m. - 30 mins on treadmill, added wind sprints -- incline 4 - 6, 4.0 - 6.0 mph.

Lunch break: walked 1/2 hour outside (weather is still beautiful! 60's and breezy - great walking weather!) Walked with a co-worker, so slower pace, but still was nice to get out.

Plan to walk dogs after work; 2 miles. S/B a total of 6 miles walking today.

pegm
Wed, Apr-30-03, 12:04
Well, the best laid plans......
Got home Monday, and I broke out into hives -- major, big time -- I mean there was hardly a white spot left on my body! Called doc and they gave me meds -- but it knocked me out! I could not stay awake! By the time I got the meds, my tongue was getting numb! It was a bit scary. Told me to take it every 6 hours for 24 hours, so I basically slept most of the time since Monday night. Must have been some left in me this morning even though I had the last dose at 6:00 p.m. last night, because in spite of all that sleep, I could not get up to walk. Weather pretty iffy -- looked like rain is imminent at lunch, so I'll have to walk when I get home from work today -- outside if weather is alright, or on treadmill if it's not. Hopefully, I can get up tomorrow and get back to the 4:30 a.m. walking schedule.

pegm
Thu, May-01-03, 11:42
Thur: 4:30 a.m. - 2 miles, incline 4 - 6, 3.8 - 6.0 mph (wind sprints)

Lunch break: Walked for 35 mins. - pretty brisk pace. I should clock the distance with the car after work -- I'm curious -- must have been over 2 miles.

Planned for after work: walk dogs 2 miles -- it's an absolutely gorgeous day! Sunny and 68 degrees -- might be just a bit warm for walking, but I'm NOT complaining! We still need rain -- the little bit we got yesterday didn't amount to much -- it's very dry. Only plus side of dry is -- no mosquitoes or nats yet! Tomorrow's and weekend forcast is for more of the same as today. I can handle this!

pegm
Fri, May-02-03, 11:27
Fri: 4:30 a.m.; 2 miles ~ 4.0 - 6.0 mph, incline 4 - 6.

Lunch: walked 2 miles on lunch break

Won't be walking after work -- need to go shopping (groceries and birthday gift)

Sat. am going to daughter's (in small town) and we're going to garage sales -- will get in LOTS of walking then because we'll walk the entire town!

Weather and time permitting, if the pool water is warm enough, I'm hoping to pool jog for the first time this year! Have a birthday party to go to, so I'm not sure if I'll have time, if the water will be warm enough yet (heater's trying!), or the air temp will be too cold (forcast so far looks good for Sat., but Sun. will probably be too cold). I am so excited! My favorite exercise is almost back!

pegm
Mon, May-05-03, 09:09
Sat.: walked to a lot of garage sales. Went to soccer game, then home in the afternoon. It was sunny and about 68 degrees, pool temp was 86, so we went in! I only ran for 20 minutes because we needed to get ready for the birthday party. Looks like it will be a while before I can do that again lots of rain and cooler weather in the forcast!

Sun: Church, bought plants and seeds for garden and flower beds, went fishing (got skunked -- not even a bite!)

Mon: 4:30 a.m. - 2 miles on treadmill. No walk at lunch -- it's pouring outside -- has been since yesterday afternoon. That's good! It's been so dry -- we really need this rain. Supposed to continue through tomorrow morning, so if I walk after work, it will have to be on the treadmill.

I'm going out to a sporting goods store on my lunch break to buy some pepper spray. I'll be carrying it with me next time we walk the dogs -- I will not have a repeat of the terror we felt when the aggressive dogs came after us on our last walk -- I'll be prepared and I will not hesitate to spray any dog that comes after us. (Of course, I've been assured that it does no permanent harm to the dog -- it only stings for a while so we can escape unharmed).

pegm
Tue, May-06-03, 10:34
4:30 a.m. - 2 miles on treadmill

No walk at lunch -- have a meeting

No walk after work -- son has program tonight ('Spring Sing'), so need to have early dinner and get over to school.

pegm
Wed, May-07-03, 10:10
4:30 a.m.: alarm went off, turned over, went back to sleep for ½ an hour! But, I brought my walking shoes for lunch break – hopefully the forecast is right and the rain will stops by noon.

Also plan to walk dogs after work (will bring the pepper spray along and hope that we don’t need it). Tomorrow I want to get the garden planted after work – forecast is for rain on Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon & Tue!!!! Monsoon season!!!!

Got a bit miffed yesterday. First, our dept. had cake, ice cream, and sherbet on break as a birthday treat. No one gets it as far a low carbing is concerned. They tried to talk me into eating some sherbet (because it’s ‘fat free’ and suitable for dieting). Of course, it’s not carb-free, nor is it ‘calorie-free’. I said ‘no – it has sugar and I don’t eat sugar’. I ate my broccoli and dip instead.

Then, we had a lunch meeting (company-wide quarterly meeting). They used to have a meat and cheese tray, buns, veggie and dip tray, and fruit tray. That was great because I could take the meat, cheese, and veggies and have a lunch. Now, though, they’ve either had pre-made hot sandwiches (meat and cheese melt into the bread and stick – really hard to scrape all the bread residue off the meat and impossible to get it off the cheese) and it’s amazing how little meat and cheese is on one of those sandwiches – once you remove the bread, there’s barely a bite of protein! Or, they have pizza – alternately – one meeting the sandwiches and the next is pizza. Yesterday it was pizza. I know I could just eat the topping, but it really doesn’t appeal to me. So, I’ve been bringing a lunch when we have the meetings – I just don’t eat at the meetings – eat my own lunch at my desk after the meeting. The one concession I do make on those days is that I allow myself one small item that I usually do not have – a can of Diet Coke as my ‘treat’. So, I had passed up the cake, ice cream and sherbet, said ‘no’ to the pizza, but my one little treat to myself was that I was going to have that can of Diet Coke. Well, when we got to the pop, THERE WAS NO DIET POP!!!! I was shocked! We always have diet pop. Someone must have goofed and did not get any. So, the same people who had tried to talk me into eating the sherbet, turned to me and said ‘you can just take a regular Coke, can't you?’ Again, I had to repeat that I do not eat (or drink) sugar!!! I have been saying this for 2 years now – will they ever get it? During that time we have had hundreds of treats with sugar available, and they have never seen me take even one bite! Why don’t they get it? Fortunately, I had time to run back upstairs for my water glass before the meeting, so at least I had some water to sip while everyone else was scarffing pizza and guzzling Coke. Oh well, my water was the much healthier choice, and my lunch of left-over roasted turkey, cauliflower mashed ‘potatoes’, and green beans was wonderful. And today I brought a treat – a cup of herbal mint tea. Whenever I have a craving for anything, that cup of mint tea seems to stop the craving.

My birthday is next month and they always bring in birthday treats. Last year they brought strawberries (sweetened with SUGAR) shortcake, and sugar-sweetened ice cream! I ate a few strawberries, allowing the liquid to drip off before eating them (thought most of the sugar would be in the juice). I had commented at that time that a veggie tray would have been just fine and hoped they’d remember that this year. But, I doubt it. After yesterday, it’s so obvious that they just don’t get it and they never will!

pegm
Mon, May-12-03, 11:52
Thur: Did plant garden just before rain started.

Fri: Went to the garage sales -- did a LOT of walking around various subdivisions.

Sat: Bought new bikes for entire family. Went for a VERY short (about 1-1/2 miles) bike ride in between rain storms

Sun: Mother's Day -- rested. Weather was HORRIBLE -- 30 mph winds, rain, cold (in the 40's). Went to visit mother and mother-in-law and when we got home the electricity was out -- took 2 hours before it was restored.

Mon: 4:30 a.m. on treadmill - incline 4 - 6, speed 3.8 - 6.0 mph for 30 mins

Walked at lunch break for 1/2 hour (it's a beautiful day -- sunny, breezy, and probably in the 60's -- great walking weather)

Sure son will want to go for a bike ride into town after work. That would be about 5 miles round trip.

pegm
Mon, May-12-03, 12:00
Thur: Did plant garden just before rain started.

Fri: Went to the garage sales -- did a LOT of walking around various subdivisions.

Sat: Bought new bikes for entire family. Went for a VERY short (about 1-1/2 miles) bike ride in between rain storms

Sun: Mother's Day -- rested. Weather was HORRIBLE -- 30 mph winds, rain, cold (in the 40's). Went to visit mother and mother-in-law and when we got home the electricity was out -- took 2 hours before it was restored.

Mon: 4:30 a.m. on treadmill - incline 4 - 6, speed 3.8 - 6.0 mph for 30 mins

Walked at lunch break for 1/2 hour (it's a beautiful day -- sunny, breezy, and probably in the 60's -- great walking weather)

Sure son will want to go for a bike ride into town after work. That would be about 5 miles round trip.

pegm
Tue, May-13-03, 12:14
Monday afternoon: Went home after work and we went on a family bike ride into town -- about 5 miles round trip. Going in was easy (wind at our backs), but on the way home we got a good workout peddaling into that wind! Thought I'd have sore muscles today, but thankfully, I do not.

After the bike ride, I put supper in the oven to cook and took the dogs for a walk -- only went around the circle, so it was about 1-1/2 miles.

Tue: 4:30 a.m. - 2 miles on treadmill; 4.0 - 6.0 mph, incline 4 - 6.

At lunch: walked for 1/2 hour.

Planned after work -- pool heater is cranking while I'm here at work -- going home at 3:30 and POOL JOG!!!! It's sunny and supposed to reach 74 degrees; and the pool temp s/b about 82 by 3:30. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, but the rest of the week (including week-end) is supposed to be much like today, so I'm hoping to get LOTs of pool jogging in.

pegm
Wed, May-14-03, 07:25
Tue: Went home and pool jogged for 25 mins. -- can't quite do 30 mins. yet -- it's a lot more work than the treadmill! I should be able to work up to the 30 mins. by Sun. -- muscles just need to get used to the new routine.

Was going to walk dogs later, but the 2 walking and 1 pool jogging sessions did me in, especially since I've been doing a modified fat fast since Monday -- really need to get the weight loss moving down again. I regained weight during the time I couldn't exercise because of my hip, and needed to get the weight coming off again. Seems to be working well -- scale is moving down.

Today was tough, though. At 4:30 this morning, barely had enough energy left to make it to the treadmill. The best I could manage this morning was 30 mins. at 3.20 mph, incline 4. It did put me at the top of the 'fat burning' cycle according to the display, but only went 1.7 miles in the 30 mins.

I think that I'll probably have to start adding veggies tomorrow -- don't think the fast is recommended for longer than 3 days and I can see why -- I can feel my energy waning fast. But, at least I had 'Trace' on the keto stix today -- the only other time I had that was when I did a fat fast a few weeks after starting Atkins when I stalled. I never did show anything on the stix except during that fast and this one. Hopefully, after I add the veggies, I will continue to lose and not regain.

I work until 5:00 today, so not sure if I'll do another walking session when I get home or not. It depends on the weather -- probably will not be able to walk at noon. It's raining now and is supposed to continue on and off through the night. Rest of the week, including weekend, looks like a great forecast, at least for now.

pegm
Thu, May-15-03, 11:30
Wed.: As I had expected, it did get too late to do any more exercise – glad I did the a.m. routine.

Thur: 4:30 a.m. – 2 miles on treadmill. Will walk on lunch hour and pool jog after work.

Maybe I should ask Nat if she’s ever heard about the theory I read in an article yesterday that said if you want to lose more body fat, you should exercise for longer periods of time. The suggestion was to exercise for at least 1 hour per session, even if you do fewer sessions. It stated that one hour-long session will burn twice as much fat as 2 - 30 min. or 3 – 20 min. sessions, even though you exercise the same total number of minutes. The article claimed that (can’t recall the exact number, but for example) you burn 1 gram per minute for the 1st 30 mins. of aerobic exercise, then 2 per minute from 30 – 45 mins., then 4 per minute after 45 mins. Therefore, you burn 120 grams during an hour-long session, but only 60 grams (only 1 per minute) if you split the session into 2 – 30 min. or 3 – 20 min. sessions. The author claimed that is why long distance runners are so lean – they train for longer periods of time and that burns a lot more fat than the same number of minutes broken up into shorter sessions.

If that theory is true, then I would need to do most of my exercise after work – can’t fit in an entire hour in the morning (I will NOT get up any earlier than 4:30 a.m.!). I’m mulling it over and thinking that I might give it a try. I want to get back to the weights beginning next week, so I could do a 30 min. a.m. cardio on the treadmill, go to the gym on my lunch hour to do weights, then do an hour of aerobic exercise after work (pool jog, walk, ride bike, or a combination of any of these).

The author also said that you need to be at least 60% of your target heart rate for most of the hour. I would need to do some research on that to find out how to calculate it. If I remember correctly, you should not be breathless, but you should not be able to easily carry on a conversation either – sort of pushing yourself, but not exhausting yourself.

To do an hour walking I could easily walk into town and back – that’s about 5 miles and I would think that anything above 4 mph should put me in the target rate (at my age and weight it should!). Biggest problem if I take the dogs with me is that they both want to constantly ‘mark their territory’ and it sometimes slows me down. They would have to get used to moving along and not stopping all of the time.

On the eating side of things, don’t know what’s going on. I was in ketosis for a while yesterday – ketostix showed ‘Trace’, bad breath, etc. and I really felt it – then last night it was gone! I did not change anything, but this morning I know that I am out of ketosis – ketostix are negative, bad breath is gone, and I feel hungry. It gets so frustrating – I do not know why I have such a difficult time getting into ketosis (it’s only happened two days in the nearly 2 years I’ve been low carbing) and I immediately go out again. I would certainly understand it if I had eaten something that I shouldn’t, but I did not do that – had the same thing yesterday that I’ve been eating for the previous 2 days. Maybe it was that I did not get as much exercise yesterday, so I am not burning the fat? Today is the first day I plan to add some veggies. Had eggs for breakfast. Brought a lunch – roast beef, faux mashed potatoes (made with cauliflower), and some green beans (only ¼ cup of each of the veggies) – left-overs from last night (but I only ate the roast beef last night). Plan to have a small salad with dinner, along with whatever meat I end up making tonight (didn’t plan ahead today – I’ll thaw something while I’m pool jogging).

Hope that scale keeps moving downward – so far so good – I am actually losing weight again. Need to lose about 8 pounds before I’ll be back to where I was last year at this time – that’s what happens to me when I can’t exercise!

pegm
Fri, May-16-03, 11:54
Thur. afternoon: 30 min. pool jogging – can’t believe I made it the full 30 min., and this is only my 2nd time this year! Also did 360 Tae-Bo kicks (20 sets, 3 each of 3 different kicks on each leg). Then, after dinner, I went to my dad’s and mowed part of his lawn (he’s having problems with his back and had told me that he’s only able to do a small part at a time, so I tried out my new lawn mower on his lawn. I love the new mower! I would have done more, but I think he was having a hard time accepting help and he wouldn’t let me do any more. Said he’s going to get out his riding mower today.) I tried to convince him to see a doctor about his back because it’s affecting his legs also – he said he can only go a short ways before he has to rest. He’s almost 77 years old – I’m a bit worried about him. Hope he’ll see a doctor. His sister is coming here from Minneapolis tomorrow for a visit – it’s our annual get-together to put flowers on the graves before Memorial Day. I’ll get her to also encourage him to see a doctor – he might be more inclined to listen to her than to me. After all, I’m one of his kids and he’s supposed to give me advice, not the other way around – at least not in his mind!

Fri: 4:30 a.m. – really pushed it on the treadmill this morning – 30 min. and burned 388 calories (according to the display – wish that was real). Scale is still moving down – what a great reward for all of the hard work! Clothes are fitting better again – it’s great! Also seem to be back into ketosis – stix are at ‘Trace’ and appetite is definitely suppressed again. Yeah!!!! Wish the scale would keep on moving downward at the rate it has been, but I know that can’t happen – loss rate will slow down eventually.

Walked for 30 min. on lunch break. Plan to go home at 3:30 and pool jog for 30 min. I’m still mulling over the idea of doing a 60 min. walk after work next week. Problem is that I would then miss my pool jogging. Maybe I’ll hold off on that idea until the weather is warm enough for me to pool jog 1st thing in the morning, then I can walk after work. Even if I can only fit in 1 or 2 – 60 min. sessions in a week, that would help. Or, I could save the 60 min. walk for weekends so I can schedule it around the pool. I’ll think it over.

pegm
Mon, May-19-03, 11:12
Fri p.m.: Went home and did 30 min. pool jogging.

Sat. a.m. met with aunt and cousin from out-of-town to put flowers on grandparents graves. Aunt brought homemade caramel rolls, and tried to talk me into eating one. I think she was insulted when I refused. I know she does not understand low carb, so I just told her that eating even one bite would stop my weight loss and set me back 3 days, and her response was ‘so what?’ I did not cave in – sat and watched all of the rest of them eat the rolls. (That is, all but my daughter and son-in-law – my daughter does not care for sweets, never has, and son-in-law had just eaten and was not hungry. But to avoid my aunt’s feeling insulted, he took one ‘to go’ in a sandwich bag.) I wish people would just understand that refusing food is not an insult or a reflection on their cooking ability. I suppose my aunt just felt disappointed because she had taken the time and made the effort to make something special, then so many people were not eating it. Both my aunt and her daughter are very obese, and the idea of not eating something because of your weight is foreign to them – neither of them understands that concept. They accept their weight and choose to do nothing about it – and that’s their decision and their business. But it would be nice if they could support someone else who is trying to do something about their weight instead of disparaging the idea and trying to sabotage the person’s efforts.

Sat: afternoon -- 30 min. pool jogging. It was beautiful weather! Stuck completely to diet all weekend in spite of many other temptations (besides the caramel rolls). Son had a ‘pool party’ on Sat. – had 3 boys over after their Boy Scout fishing trip. I bought the ingredients so they could do a ‘build your own banana splits’ break – lots of ice creams (sugar-free), toppings, whip cream, bananas, sprinkles, etc. They had a great time! There were only 4 nine-year-olds, but they ate an entire half-gallon of ice cream and a whole can of whipped cream!

Sun: Rested – no particular exercise. Just church, read newspaper, relaxed in pool, cooked – invited daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter over for swimming and dinner. Made turkey breast on the grill; zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and Parmesan cheese dish; fresh asparagus; and corn on the cob (I did not eat the corn). They made banana splits from the rest of the ice cream and toppings for dessert (I abstained). Weather was beautiful all weekend!

Mon: 4:30 a.m. – did 3 miles on treadmill – 45 min. – incline 4 – 9; speed about 4.0 mph – burned more than 400 calories. I have to work until 5:00 today, so had extra time this morning – could go into work later. Also, it’s going to rain, so no walk at lunch. Since I won’t get home until 5:30 today, then need to cook dinner and help with homework, etc., I won’t get in any more aerobic exercise today. Want to do some weights after work, though – need to get back into the weight training, but I do not want to increase my carbs. In spite of showing pink on the ketostix, I up 2 pounds from Saturday. Hopefully from not drinking enough water – I know I did not drink enough all weekend – but today am doing great. Or, could be from less exercise over the weekend – seems like I need a LOT of exercise to keep losing weight, and if I can’t get enough in, I gain weight. Hope this will not be permanent – if I reach a point in my life when I cannot exercise for any reason (injury, illness, old age, etc.), that would be a major problem. I would like to think that at some time I could take a day or two off or take a vacation and not need to worry about regaining a few pounds. It really stinks to work so hard and it takes weeks or months to lose the weight and only days to gain it back!

pegm
Wed, May-21-03, 09:43
Well, the best laid plans…….
Monday, just before leaving work, I broke out into hives – big, hives – all over, and my face was starting to swell. Had to take an antihistamine, then rush home before I got sleepy. Sleepy, that’s not even close to describing how antihistamines make me feel. I pass out – cannot wake up – I believe that if the house caught fire, I would burn up – no way I could wake up enough to get out! So, I slept from 6:30 Monday night until Tuesday afternoon – was awake for a short time Tuesday a.m. to call doctor. Tried to get some other sort of medication that would not put me to sleep, but they said there is none. Have an appointment with an allergist next week. Hopefully can find out what’s causing this. Had the same thing happen less than a month ago, but no idea what’s causing it. Only other time I had hives this bad is when I had the allergic reaction to aspirin, and that was almost 30 years ago. All three times, there was hardly a white spot left on my body, and my face was swelling. It’s a bit scary because I don’t know what’s causing it, so I don’t know what to avoid, and I never know if and when it will happen again. Also, I know two people who died from severe allergic reactions, and one of them had never had an allergic reaction to anything before. Makes me very nervous – I really need to find out what’s going on.

Tue.: Slept

Wed. a.m. – still feeling affects of allergy attack and antihistamine. Could not get up in time to walk. Have a lunch meeting, but plan to go home after work and pool jog. If water is not warm enough, will walk with dogs instead – or, maybe can do both – pool jog before dinner and walk dogs after – want to get in some extra for missed day.

Diet continues to go well – weight loss slowed down, but still continuing to lose!

pegm
Thu, May-22-03, 11:46
Wed. p.m.: Worked a bit later than I had planned, but still managed to get in 30 min. of pool jogging and 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches in the pool. Because it was later and it was only in the lower 60’s with a bit of a wind, you had to keep moving and stay in the water or you’d get cold.

Thur.: 4:30 a.m. – 35 min. on treadmill. Brought my walking shoes, but I got rained out for a lunch time walk. Was hoping the rain would hold off until later this afternoon, but by 8:00 a.m. the clouds were already moving in. No pool jogging or walk after work today – rainy and dogs have appointments at the vet’s for checkups and shots.

Weight loss is continuing – I’ve set a mini goal of breaking 200 by my birthday – that would be the best birthday gift ever! It might be a bit unrealistic – would need to lose about 3 pounds per week – but you never know, that whoosh might be just around the corner!

pegm
Fri, May-23-03, 11:38
Fri.: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min. on treadmill.

Lunch time: walked for 35 min. outside -- weather is beautiful!

Would like to go home after work and walk dogs and/or go on bike ride (would really like to do both).

Keep saying I want to start weights again, but am hesitant because I think I'd need to increase my carbs (been staying at 20) and think it will slow or stall my weight loss. Seems like it stall if I go over 20 carbs, or if I add nuts or cheeses, even when I was doing weights. I'm so happy that I'm losing right now that I don't want to do anything to blow it. Maybe I can just try doing upper body and abs on the 20 carbs and count all of the walking, pool joggin, and Tae-Bo kicks for lower body workout?

pegm
Tue, May-27-03, 11:59
Friday: went home after work and did 30 min. pool jogging and 360 Tae-Bo kicks in pool. Getting used to it again, and want to start increasing to 45 min. soon.

Sat, Sun, & Mon.: No 'formal' exercise. Weather was gorgeous all holiday weekend. Did a lot of gardening, planting, yard work, fishing, and was in pool, but just played with son & DH - 'tag', keep away, etc.

Tue: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min on treadmill.

Lunch time: 30 min. walk outside. It's getting HOT -- supposed to be 81 today!

Can't wait to get home after work and run in the pool! I'm going to push for 45 min. today, and be sure to do the 360 Tae-Bo kicks.

Was a great weekend. Did a picnic on Mon. and had 2 'treats' that I suspected (and the scale confirmed it this morning) would stall the loss for a day -- 1/2 a bag (small bag - 1 serving size) of Carb Solutions' low carb chips and a low carb Endulge chocolate bar.

Today I'm back to 'no treats - not even low carb ones' and expect the weight to start coming off again. I am definitely still in ketosis.

pegm
Wed, May-28-03, 11:37
Tue.: Went home after work and pool jogged – made it 45 min!!!! Then the 360 Tae-Bo kicks – legs were pretty rubbery after that! If what Swimmer’s health club says is true, that’s about the same as running 3 hours on land!

Wed: 4:30 a.m. – 30 min. on treadmill – had to take it a bit more easy today – top incline of 4 and barely made it 2 miles – legs were still a bit shaky from extra pool jogging last night.

Lunch break: rain had quit, so walked 30 min. at lunch. It’s WINDY – had a pretty good headwind for the 1st half of the walk.

Won’t be able to walk after work – need to go to daughter’s house and play with granddaughter – it’s tough work, but I’ll get through it somehow. Actually, if there’s time, maybe I can put her in the burley and we can walk down the trail to see if the eagle’s eggs have hatched yet – it would be terrific to see the baby eagles.

Weight loss still stalled -- not sure why -- I'm just waiting for a whoosh!!!!

pegm
Fri, May-30-03, 11:49
Thursday: 4:30 a.m. – 30 min. on treadmill

Lunch break: walked outside for 30 min.

After work: pool jogged for 30 min. (got home late, so couldn’t go longer today)

Fri: 4:30 a.m. – 30 min. on treadmill

Raining today, so no walk at lunch; need to go grocery shopping after work, so no more formal exercise today.

I never thought I would ask myself this question, but I’m wondering if maybe I’m losing weight too FAST!!!! This from a former turtle!!!! I’ve been loosing nearly a pound a day. This is the longest I have ever been in ketosis. I don’t know what happened – if maybe it just took this long for my metabolism to heal. I don’t know what’s different, but all I know is that I finally know what others on this board have meant when they talked about the breath, not being hungry, actually losing weight!!! I don’t know how long this will last, but for now I am so happy and encouraged.

pegm
Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:55
Sat: Took the grandkids to the zoo -- lots of walking.

Sun: Pool jogged for 35 min.

Mon: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min on treadmill. Had lunch meeting, so no walk at lunch. Plan to pool jog after work.

pegm
Tue, Jun-03-03, 11:41
Mon. p.m.: pool jogged 30 min.

Tue: overslept in the a.m.
Lunch break: walked outside 30 min. -- it's a gorgeous day! A bit warmer than I expected (high was only supposed to be 71) and I got a bit warm, but very nice workout -- I'm sitting here and feel my muscles twitching!

Have to go shopping after work -- son needs new shoes. But hopefully will still get home in time to pool jog. Otherwise, I'll walk the dogs if it's too cool to go in the pool -- they'll enjoy it.

pegm
Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:53
Tue p.m.: Went home after work and pool water was too cold, so I walked the dogs -- 2 miles.

Wed: overslept again -- don't know why I've been so tired these last couple of weeks -- can't stay awake at night and can't get up in the a.m. Was going to walk at lunch, but co-worker really wanted me to go out to lunch with her, so I did (bad girl!) Had a Cobb Salad -- it was great! And HUGE!!! I only ate about 1/5 of it, brought the rest back in a box (didn't pour the dressing on the whole salad, only on a little at a time so the left-overs wouldn't spoil). DH and I can share the rest for dinner tonight!

It's nice out and pool is heating now, so I'll pool jog after work -- I'll try to do 45 min., plus the Tae-Bo kicks. If there's time later, I'll walk the dogs -- need to make up for not doing a.m. or lunchtime walk.

Weight loss definitely has slowed down, but am still losing, just more slowly. As long as it keeps going down, I'm happy.

pegm
Fri, Jun-06-03, 05:43
Wed: Went home after work and pool jogged for 45 min. Wanted to walk the dogs afterward since I missed both the morning and noon sessions, but it was not meant to be. Son’s teacher has a reward system where they earn ‘bucks’ throughout the quarter. Then she has an ‘auction’ where they can use their bucks to buy merchandise. Son had asked me for a permission slip to buy a goldfish at the auction. He already has one, so I wrote the permission slip thinking he might bring home a goldfish to add to the existing tank. Well, he brought home not one fish in a ziploc bag – there were 3!!!! The water had a greenish cast and I could not see them clearly, except that they were brown.

His current tank would not support four goldfish! So, DH who had picked him up from school and knew the scoop had stopped at the store and bought a bowl. I looked at it and knew it would not work. There was no cover, so the cats would have an easy time going fishing, and there was no pump or filter, so the water would need to be changed several times a week. I explained the problem, so he returned it. After dinner we had to go shopping for a tank for the fish. We went to a store and found a nice 5 gallon tank that was supposed to include everything – filter, pump, food, water conditioner, cover, light, etc. – everything except gravel. By the time I got it home it was 8:30. I opened the package to set it up, and found that parts were missing!!! There was no pump or filter, no food, no water conditioner. I called the store (which closes at 9:00) and told them what happened. The clerk said she would take the parts from another tank (this was the only green one they had). So, DH rushed back to the store (it’s a 20 minute drive and they were closing in 25 min.). By the time he got home with the tank and I got it set up in son’s room, it was after 10:00.

Then, I poured the poor fish that had been confined to this gallon ziploc bag for hours into their new home. That’s when I got a good look at them. They are NOT goldfish. They are, I think, some sort of tropical fish!!!! I don’t know for sure what they are or how to care for them. I gave them some of the tropical fish food that came with the tank and left the goldfish in his own tank. Now, if they’re tropical fish, I think that I’ll need a heater for the tank. Tomorrow I need to go shopping for a birthday gift and I’ll stop in a pet store and look at their fish to try to figure out what these are. Son had no idea. Either that, or I’ll call the teacher and ask her. So far these 3 ‘free’ fish have cost me $68.72 for the tank and gravel. That does not include the price of a heater if I have to add that, nor the time and gas spent running around to find the tank. Hopefully they will live long and healthy lives!!!

So, after all that, here’s an actual gym log:

Thur: Got up later and was going in to work later because I was designated 5:00 person that day. It was light outside when I got up, so I walked the dogs instead of going on the treadmill. It was good walking weather – in the 50’s – only went around ‘the circle’, about 1-1/2 miles in 20 mins.

Lunch break: Walked for 30 min.

After work: Went home and pool jogged for 30 min. It was still really nice outside – warm, sunny, high was 80.

Tried something new for dinner – I had it a restaurant about a year ago, so I tried to duplicate it at home. It was a salad with sun-dried tomato vinaigrette dressing topped with a fillet of marinated grilled salmon. I came close, but, but the restaurant marinade had some other seasoning. Maybe I’ll have to take a trip back to the restaurant and have it again so I can try to figure out what else was in that dressing.

pegm
Fri, Jun-06-03, 05:44
Fri.:

Had a wonderful experience this morning – for the first time in my entire life the ketostix were PURPLE!!!!!!!! This from someone who had ‘negative’ for nearly 2 years! I don’t know what’s happening and why after all this time I’m finally in ketosis big time, but it’s a great feeling!

Had to go into work early this morning because my boss is gone, so I didn’t have time to walk on treadmill. Won’t be able to walk at lunch – need to go out to buy a birthday gift, plus it’s raining. And, won’t be able to go after work either, so guess today is a ‘lost’ day as far as exercise goes.

Hopefully I’ll be able to make up for it on the weekend, but it’s going to be a crazy couple of days. We have 2 birthday parties and 2 graduation parties this weekend!

pegm
Mon, Jun-16-03, 11:52
Haven’t been keeping up with the posting here – it’s been crazy lately. Had a nasty cold that slowed me down for a few days. Felt very tired and sick – chills, etc. Then it moved down into my chest and I was coughing so much – pretty tough to do much with that cough. Mostly walked whenever I didn’t feel too sick – and was doing other activities such as gardening. Helped daughter build a new flower bed – boy did I shovel lots of dirt and rocks into a wheelbarrow, then hauled it to an area and dumped it to get the bed ready. Also did the hand weeding and cultivating in my own garden and planted more flowers. Played ‘tag’ with grandson in the pool. Nothing very organized – just whatever I felt I could do that day without making myself more ill. I’m feeling better today and back into full swing again.

Mon: 4:30 a.m. – 30 min. on treadmill. Only kept speed at 3.5 mph and incline at 5 for most of the time – still feel some congestion in chest and lungs didn’t want me to go any faster yet.

It’s too hot to walk outside, so I won’t walk at lunch today. It will be in the 80’s by noon and I don’t want to have to take a shower after I walk – I have to go back to work.

Plan to go home after work and pool jog. That’s the best part of pool jogging – you never get too hot! I’ll try for at least 45 min. because of missing my noon walk. If it cools down later I would like to walk the dogs. It’s going to be quite hot and humid and I don’t want to overheat them!

pegm
Wed, Jun-18-03, 11:54
Tue: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min on treadmill. Had a lunch meeting, so could not walk at lunch. After work: 45 min. pool jogging.

Wed.: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min on treadmill. Very hot and humid today, so no lunchtime walk. Plan to go home after work and pool jog.