PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

oboegal
Mon, Jan-07-02, 09:36
Hey all. I'm currently a college student, and my mother and boyfriend want me to go on the Atkins Diet. My mom has lost 40 lbs on it, and my bf lost 70. I live on campus at Ball State University, so I don't know if it's possible for me to be able to avoid carbs. All they serve here is bread and pasta and very little meat. I really want and need to lose wieght, (I'm 5ft, weighing 175) but I just don't know if it's possible as a college student dependent on a college mealplan. Any insight into this problem?

Marlaine
Mon, Jan-07-02, 10:21
Are you totally dependent on cafeteria type meals? Is it possible for you to supplement with protein you purchase outside of the university?

Marlaine

alto
Mon, Jan-07-02, 10:41
Welcome, oboegal. It is tough at college -- that's why so many students are the (not) proud owners of the Freshmen Fifteen! Even with salad bars, the tuna or chicken salad may be loaded with carbs.

I have two suggestions. The first is to talk about this with your mother, since she's low carb-aware. You can go over the choices with her and she may have some ideas or options. (And is your bf also a student? You could ask what he's doing.) The second is to go to your school nutritionist, if there is one. Perhaps you can start a student movement -- more meat. Diabetics need high protein meals, too. You might be able to push for better nutrition.

Sorry I don't have a quick fix for you. There's probably bacon and eggs available at breakfast, so that's a start. Good luck!

razzle
Mon, Jan-07-02, 20:47
if you can eat at any food service place on campus with your food service card (or whatever the system is there), find the cafeteria where they serve the big male athletes. You may not be able to access the football players' dining room, but there's no way the athletic department would let all their scholarship athletes undereat protein!

With your mom on your side, you could even fib and say you have IBS or are gluten intolerant and must eat grain-free.

Congrats to those you know who have shed excess fat on this way of eating!