PDA

View Full Version : Just starting the atkins diet --->inside pls

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Swanny
Sun, Jan-06-02, 17:42
I'm about to start the atkins diet tomorrow :o
What i want to know is there any type alcohol alowed on the diet ???
I heard Gunniues and Wine are ok. Is this right ???
As i am known to have the occasional tiple ;o)

Wish me luck

Swanny
:daze:

K-Louise
Sun, Jan-06-02, 19:31
I took this out of the New Atkins book:

The body burns alcohol for energy when alcohol is available. ....

It will not stop weight loss, but will postpone it.

If it does not slow your weight loss an occassional glass of wine is ok AFTER induction. You have to count the carbs. 4.3g carb in a glass of wine.

Cheers
Kim

gracie-poo
Mon, Jan-07-02, 00:55
The carb count in wine varies by type. White wine has somewhere around 1.5 and red wine has something like 3.5. My decimal points are a little off, but that's what I had heard here on this board. Distilled spirits have less than 1 per oz, at least white ones like vodka do...so, it's your choice really. An occasional glass now and then probably won't kill you :D

Grace

razzle
Mon, Jan-07-02, 21:02
best of luck to you on LC!

Why not try eliminating alcohol for just the first two months, to see how it goes? Think of this time as a chance to heal your body of long-term abuses of it, to eat real, good food, and learn to enjoy it. Such an approach can't hurt, and it may help a whole lot!

Cali
Tue, Jan-08-02, 23:53
Looks like white spirits are the way to go at only 1 carb per oz!
I too love a glass or 3 of something in the evening but I find if I drink lots of water first for the thirst aspect, then put off the alcohol for as long as possible, the succumb, I either don't drink at all or have only a little. A small delay in weight loss may be worth the drink since it doesn't actually set you back, it only postpones.
In sympathy!
Cali