PDA

View Full Version : Long distance running and No carbs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

goldd
Sat, Apr-01-06, 09:17
Hi, everyone, not sure why it says my plan is protein power, I'm doing SB.
You've probably heard this one before, but it's really driving me crazy, and Runner's World is not very helpful. Long distance runners require carbs in order to supply their muscles. I ran for 4 years, then slowed quite a bit over the last year, and now I'm training again, just for a 10 km. I've a very slow runner, back of the back of the pack, so each run takes me far longer than it takes others. If it takes you a long time, you are more likely to need to supply your muscles. What do they suggest? Powerade, gels, carb bars, and etc. Well, you get the picture. The reality is that in order to keep your muscles firing, you need to carb load before running (eg. pasta dinner the night before), and then supply yourself throughout the run (about every 30 minutes). For my half marathon, I took in a half a gel at 30 minutes, the other half throughout the last part of the run. Without it, I would not have been able to run a half marathon, even though it did take me almost 3 hours. Okay, so, let's have some ideas for keeping the high-sugar supplements out of our diets and at the same time keeping our muscles going for endurance running! There must be a way, and I just haven't figured it out yet. I can't pick up my speed, I am simply slow (faster when I've been training for awhile of course, but still slow). So next time you are on your distance run, think of me! Creative solutions...I'm looking forward to this. P.S. I'm going to continue Phase 1 for a few more weeks, and keep running, and here is my plan: high fibre rye cracker with almond butter 30 minutes before the run, and a high protein snack after the run...BUT during the run??? The idea is that your body needs to get at the sugars quickly, to get the glycogen to your muscles, which it can only do with things like gels.....or fruit juice...I'm scared now to go back to this; I gained some weight training for my half marathon (partly muscle, probably also the carbs).

MorphingMe
Sat, Apr-01-06, 11:48
I'm honestly not sure! I would think having the carbs before the run and protein after but, you are already doing that. I just started looking at the couch 2 5k program and was planning to add a small whole wheat carb source before exercise. You are talking about much longer runs though. I would think that with phase 1 there's nothing else you could do but, with phase 2 you are allowed more fruits and whole grains. Could you just save them for before your runs? I think a fruit would provide quick energy maybe use that before the run and midway through and then have your protein following? Sorry I'm not more help!

goldd
Sun, Apr-02-06, 10:15
Thanks for that, that was what I was thinking too, take some small pieces of fruit along with me...it's that or gels (really high in sugar and carbs). I'll see if others have any ideas.
I've been looking at the Atkins forum too...wow it's pretty severe compared to SB, isn't it?
GD. :)

Judynyc
Sun, Apr-02-06, 13:09
In the SBD book itself, he does say that while in phase I, it is not wise to do heavy workouts. I'd say that running is not wise while on phase I. If you start eating fruit, then you are no longer in phase I.
Its your choice in the end.

goldd
Sat, Apr-08-06, 07:52
I'm in phase 2 now, but everything's fine I think. I've figured out the timing was just slightly off with trying everything at once.

yoyaney
Sat, Apr-08-06, 21:57
goldd, I visit runnerworld alot too and it is confusing. I don't carb up but I do shorter runs than you. Between 2 and 4 miles 3 to 4 days a week. It takes me about 10 minutes to run a mile. Used to be faster too, like 7 minute miles - that is probably slow to some people! Anyway, my point being, with shorter runs, I don't feel drained like they say you can feel.

goldd
Sun, Apr-09-06, 20:42
Well, I do wish I could run that fast, but it is not possible, no matter how hard I try. I run about a 13 minute mile (about a 9 minute kilometre, as I'm in Canada). I think I run about the same distances as you, but it takes me longer, because I'm old and slow! Today I ate almond butter on rye cracker before running and took carrots with me. Ran for 67 minutes. Was okay. Ate an egg white omelette and piece of turkey bacon when I got back. Yum!