PDA

View Full Version : Good Fat vs Bad Fat

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tskako
Fri, Jan-04-02, 07:53
Thanks Nat and Karen. I don't usually add such high carb foods but I was experimenting with the lists of foods in the book and I am better staying away from the crackers and bread. Not very filling compared to 1/2 C vegies with a pat of butter.
So is the fat in foods like dressings, miracle whip, processed meats, etc to be avoided because they are all processed?
So since bacon is not a processed food and if it were sodium free, would this be a good fat? How about cheese and cream?
Can you look at a label and tell is it is considered good or not so good fat, going by the saturated part?
I really did read the chapter referring to the fats but I must say I got lost in the terms.
Thank you ladies (again) for your help.

- tskako

Karen
Sat, Jan-05-02, 01:56
Hi tskako!

You asked if this is where you should be asking these questions so I moved this part of you post here as an example. It is a different question and one that many newbies probably have themselves.

I' still wondering if the fat in foods like dressings, miracle whip, processed meats, etc to be avoided because they are all processed?

There are some people who follow the plan and eliminate all low grade foods from their WOE.

Big food companies use the cheapest products they can to sell it to the consumer at a reasonable price. That's where sugar and starch come in. It adds weight and mouthfeel to these products. And, there is the question of nitrates and preservatives.

In things like mayo and salad dressings, it's low grade oil.

If you want to be a real purist, fats on natural meats, butter, cold pressed oils - that includes olive oil - cream, high fat cheese is the ticket.

One of the enlightening things about this WOE is discovering all this stuff and making informed decisions. Experimenting, shopping in natural food stores and considering eating foods you haven't eaten before is all part of the great LC learing process.

Karen

LC Sponge
Sat, Jan-05-02, 07:01
Originally posted by tskako
So is the fat in foods like dressings, miracle whip, processed meats, etc
- tskako I can't handle the taste of Miracle Whip after eating Helmans. I can taste the sugar in it right away!