PDA

View Full Version : How many carbs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tonmur
Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:31
Okay - I was told there are no dumb questions. So, here goes:

How many carbs in lettuce. My husband and I are trying to figure this one out. Is it best to buy a head of lettuce or a bag of shredded lettuce and what is the best lettuce?

LC Sponge
Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:35
Lettuce - iceburg - a whole 6" head has only 11.3 g carb
Romaine has 2 g carb per 1.5 cups.

However you can subtract the fiber g from the carb grams for a net count - Romaine has 1 g fibre for 1.5 cups so the net carbs is only 1 g for 1.5 cups.

Recommend you get the book called "The Complete Book of Food Counts" by Corinne T Netzer. It's got every food imaginable and all the nutritional analysis on each food - invaluable for carb counters like us :)

Natrushka
Thu, Jan-03-02, 20:04
Also, there is a wonderful carb counter on this site under "Low Carb Tools" - it's got a huge database and you can change the quantity of the food you're looking for.

Nat