PDA

View Full Version : Phase One Chinese Choices?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BlondieZX
Wed, Mar-15-06, 12:06
Hey gang,

I'm being forced to go out for Chinese food tonight (to celebrate Mother's birthday). Are there ANY decent choices I can make in a Chinese restaurant on Phase I? HELP! Would a chicken dish with a plain sauce be appropriate. Veggies? Any suggestions would be apppreciated! Thanks.... :)

skippie
Wed, Mar-15-06, 12:15
Most plain unbreaded chix with veggies should be ok. Ask if they could just steam the meat and veggies with no sauce. That will help with the extra fat from frying. And then you won't have to worry about the what they use for the thickner.
Just keep in mind about the hidden salt in processed foods. You are doing the right thing about thinking about it now. Plan ahead, maybe even eat a salad before you go so you won't quite as hungry.
Drink extra water for a few days that should help. And maybe if you feel you did over do it just stay on phase 1 an extra day.

Try and enjoy the eveing out with your family. Celebrate with Mom, its her day. ;)
Remember these kinds of events will always come up its part of life. Just make the best choice you can.
Have a nice time. :agree:

fall3n
Wed, Mar-15-06, 16:46
If you like chicken, order steamed chicken. Theres only dipping sauce (green onion and ginger) for this but the chicken is really nice and tender. If you don't mind fish, one of the best choices is steamed fish.(It's my favourite) Also order a dish of green leafy vegetables. Alot of chinese dishes with sauteed meat + veggies have thickening sauces...reminds me of a time i ordered a dish with sauteed spinach and egg white and they used so much thickener, i picked up a piece that i thought was egg white but found out it was actually a lump of undissolved potato starch! i was so grossed out i have never ordered that again. There are actually many good varities at chinese restaurants because theres so much vegetables and seafood. Just avoid those starchy thickeners, the rice, and maybe you could ask your server to reduce some of the sodium and/or msg. Good luck asian dining=)

emilie

BlondieZX
Thu, Mar-16-06, 02:29
Great suggestions, you guys! I had a great time ~ ordered sauteed shrimp with cashew nuts - very light and almost no sauce ~ lots of snow peas. But now I know what to expect from the menu and will probably order steamed fish or chicken next time. :)

Cheers!