PDA

View Full Version : carbohydrates and alcohol

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cessna
Thu, Jan-03-02, 13:26
having just started the Atkins diet, I have managed to cope with the food side of things, but am missing my alcohol :-( .

obviously beer is a no no, but can any one tell me what the carb contents of things like wine, or vodka, gin, whisky, etc is?

what alcohol can we still drink whilst on the Atkins diet?

many thanks for your replies.

liddle
Thu, Jan-03-02, 13:49
I know of some wines that have very little carbs and vodka has none at all. The problem is not the carbs they may or may not contain, but the alcohol is the first fuel to burn. While this is going on you will not burn fat. Since alcohol does not store as glycogen, you immediately get back into ketosis after the alcohol is burned up. I know Dr. Atkins says to stay away from all alcohol during induction. If you must drink, do so in moderation after induction. Just remember it may make you stall.

Take care,
Heather

LC Sponge
Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:43
Heather's right about everything.

If you must drink (say's Dr. Atkins :) ) pure alcohol has fewest carbs. My preference is a martini ;) even the olive is low carb.

But not till after induction's over - very important.