PDA

View Full Version : For Newbies - Carb Counting and Label Reading

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Karen
Wed, Jan-02-02, 21:52
**Moderator note: this thread is closed to new replies. Feel free to start a new thread if you'd like help interpreting labels.

Carb Counting and Label Reading

With your new low-carb way-of life, you will have many opportunities to make small changes that will turn into daily habits. Habits that will become part of your way-of-life and ensure you future success.

One of the rewarding – yet frustrating! – things for those who are new to LC is learning and researching carbohydrate counts of foods. This site has an excellent carb counter under Low Carb Tools in the orange bar at the top of the page. Another portable and excellent resource is Corinne T. Netzer’s Complete Book of Food Counts.

To start, grab your copy of Atkins, Protein Power or whatever plan you are following. Find the list of allowed low-carb vegetables.

Make a list of all the vegetables you like to eat And a few you would be interested in trying. A spreadsheet works very well for this because you can sort it by item or by carb count later on. Beside the item, write in the portion sizes and the carbohydrate count. You can even add foods that may be a little high for you now, but can be used in smaller amounts during the maintenance phase of your plan. Save your list on your computer and print out a copy to carry around with you.

Remember that Protein Power and Atkins both allow the fiber to be subtracted from the total carb count. This gives you room for a lot more variety, especially if you are on induction.

Be aware that coffee, dairy products, eggs, shellfish and organ meats have carbohydrates.

An interesting and illuminating exercise is to use the carb counter under Low-Carb Tools at the top of the page to find out what is lowest in carbs. For example, click vegetables under Food Category, sort by the value of carbohydrates with the lowest first. You will be amazed at the variety.

It’s also a good idea to write down the carb count of eggs, coffee, dairy products, nuts, crustaceans and organ meats if you eat them.

Label Reading

Label reading is also very important. It’s shocking to find out that you have been indulging in foods that are written as 0 on the label when they actually contain carbs.

Here is something Doreen wrote recently on one of our favourite subjects -

“Labels tell Lies!”

Welcome to the real world of "labels tell lies". In the US – but not in Canada - manufacturers are permitted to list a food as zero carbs if the count for a "normal" serving is less than 1, even if it's 0.9! For example, a "normal" serving of heavy cream is considered to be 1 Tbsp (15 ml or ˝ fl. oz) they will list it as 0 because the count is less than 1. Truthfully, it's not a big deal if you're ONLY using one single Tbsp, but if you're using several Tbsp, and maybe also using the cream in recipes, those partial grams of carb can add up over the course of a day.

Cheese is another food that often has less than one gram of carb per 1 oz serving, but the label will say zero. If you eat 3 or 4 ounces, that can add up. The same goes for coffee.

This is unfortunate, because a lot of folks think they're only eating 20g carbs ... because they honestly believe these foods contain zero carbs and eat way more than one "normal" serving.

Happy and Successful Low Carbing!

Karen

cyndiboo
Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:10
I just ordered the Atkins Diet Carb Counter Book, does it list actual amounts of carbs? I don't want to fall into the trap you mentioned where I think I am eating 20 and I am eating more than that. Wasting valuable carbs. thanks for any help.

Cyndiboo

Karen
Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:18
I prefer to use an impartial source like the one mentioned above, but I'm sure someone else has the book and can give you some advice.

Karen

ldypgmr
Thu, Jan-31-02, 21:32
Thanks for the note.

I read that in the book, and forgot about it until now.

Dee Martin

SarahE11
Wed, Feb-20-02, 21:26
Hi Karen,
I have been following Atkins low carb for 3 weeks and have lost 4 lbs. I think I have been extremely good and am wondering what I'm doing wrong. One thing I'm not good about is drinking all the water. I bought Keto-Stix and I'm in ketosis...
Does it matter if I have a steak twice a week? I'm really frustrated because my diet buddy at work is losing much faster than I - and she even cheats. :confused:

Are there cases where Atkins just doesn't work for some people? When I was younger, I was able to drop 10 lbs in 2 weeks and at that time I only weighed 130 lbs. So now I'm on estrogen, and I'm wondering if that, too, isn't causing me problems.

Help, help, help! I will not give up, maybe I just need some good advice.
Thank you sooooooo much,
Sarah :wave:

Karen
Thu, Feb-21-02, 03:33
Hi Sarah!

Why don't you start a journal in the journal forum? Everyone interprets and follows their plan differently and it could be one or a combination of many reasons.

You can have steak five times a week. You can even have it ten times a week. With low-carbing, you should not have any fear of meat! It sounds like you may be trying to do a low-fat version of Atkins which may be one of your challenges.

I think diet buddies are a bad idea, because everyone is unique. Comparing yourself to someone whom you percieve as doing better than you will only make you feel inadequate. One of my rules is to never compare myself with anyone else. I listen and learn from other people all the time, but I never compare.

You sound like you have the motivation and will to succeed and the many people here can help you fine tuning when we know what you're eating.

SarahE11
Sun, Feb-24-02, 11:49
Hi Karen,
I don't know how I ever found this site, but I'm sure glad I did - and to have gotten such a quick response from you was very heartwarming - because...I am putting my heart and soul into this weight/self-improvement effort.
After reading your note, I re-read my Atkins book and decided that as fearful as I was of eating 'fat' stuff, that maybe I had to bite the bullet and JUST DO IT. I have now added fattier meat and oil based salad dressings instead of the low/no fat kind. Boy what a change in thinking this is for me! I understand the chemical basis for establishing ketosis, but I needed to re-read that sometimes lean protein can be metabolized into glucose if there isn't enough fat in the diet.
So, it's 3 days now since I took the plunge and guess what! - although I'm sure you're not surprised...I dropped 1 1/2 lbs. :sunny:
I still have areas that need improvement - like drinking water. I fall below 8 glasses a day. I'm working on it.
I'll be looking at recipes on the site for some new ideas. It seems there are a plethera of spices to make foods taste wonderful and different. Scrambled eggs can be quite interesting with different spices added and different cheeses.
I wonder...while I was eating low/no fat proteins I did acheived ketosis during the induction period - but I'm wondering if I shouldn't start all over with the induction period. I guess I'll see how the next week goes.
How did you get to be an advisor? As a computer programmer, I'm most interested in how this site originated. It's wonderful!
God bless! :rose:
Sarah

Karen
Sun, Feb-24-02, 12:29
Hi Sarah,

It can be a great leap of faith to ignore popular low-faD dogma.

When I first read Protein Power, I immediately understood what was wrong with me. I was a carb junkie.

Because it made so much sense, I had no problem making the switch. I had been low-faD-ing for under a year, and couldn't understand why my cravings for carbs were still out of control. Wasn't low-faD supposed to "cure" me?

During that time I wanted to believe that low-faD was the answer, and was completely let down. My previous way of eating was high fat and high carb. I ate so many whole grains during the low-faD period that I could have turned into a cow! I couldn't see living like this for the rest of my life, and wondered how other people could hack it!

So, when I began low-carbing, I just dropped all the bad carbs and continued eating the way I always ate. What were those carbs anyway? Just a vehicle for flavour and the the stuff that fueled my addiction.

Look at it this way: Where did low-faD eating get you? Probably to a point where you felt that there was something wrong with you - that you were woefully inadequate in some way because it was supposed to work. It may have even made you feel weak-willed, guilty, and shameful. That is no way to live!

I'll jump off my soapbox now! ;)

Here is a link to the history of the site: A bit of history about our site (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11403)

Anyway, slowly but surely is the way to proceed. It's a great learning experience, and can be a life changing one if you're willing.

Karen

schoolnigh
Tue, Mar-05-02, 09:52
i have a few questions, while we're talking about carbs.

1-how many carbs am i allowed to eat after induction? is it okay to have maybe 30 grams instead of 15?

2-if a food has a few grams of carbs and a few grams of sugar, is it okay to eat it (moderately) or are we supposed to stay away from any food that has any sugar?

3-if i'm sick and i'm not going to eat that much because my stomach can't really handle anything meaty at the moment, is it okay to have a slice of bread if i only have one?

Karen
Tue, Mar-05-02, 10:02
Get out your Dr. Atkins book and read the OWL chapter again for a good explanation of what to do. The recommendation is to increase carbs by 5 grams a week until you find level that you are still losing weight at. Carbs should be in the form of vegetables.

If it is a packaged item that has sugar in it, it's probably best to stay away from it. It may set off cravings especially if you have just started out low-carbing.

If you're sick, drink broth or protein shakes. Better than bread any day!

Karen

Elaine3
Sat, Mar-23-02, 15:34
I don't have the atkins books I started with the web site and read it but there is still a lot I don't know can someone give me a few sites to go to fill in the gaps?

doreen T
Sat, Mar-23-02, 16:33
The gaps can only be filled by the information you'll find in the book. Websites are useful guides, and full of info & tips ... I dare say this very site is one of the best :cool: .. But you need to read the book to understand the nitty gritty and the Why's of the program.

I'm sure your local library has a copy that you can borrow, so no need to buy anything :thup: Happy Reading.

Doreen

Elaine3
Fri, Mar-29-02, 10:51
Got the book found it at my local used book store. I understand a lot more of what was going on in my body now that I have the book and a lot more of what I have to look forward to and you are right about this web site everyone has so much info that helps to get instant answers on a day to day. Also I started my journal and that help to see my path each day

:wave: Elaine

Phil C
Tue, May-07-02, 09:30
Karen,
Thanks for the GREAT advice on starting! You mentioned that both Atkins and PP allow subtracting fiber from carbohydrate counts of foods. I could not find this mentioned in Atkins' latest book. Could you give me a hint about this or how it works? My wife and I were advised by her cardiologist to 'try' the Atkins diet and we both take Metamucil each day, each teaspoon of which contains 5g of carbohydrates. :thup: thanks.

Karen
Tue, May-07-02, 18:12
Check to see if you have the 2002 edition. I think it's in the Induction section.

All you do is simply subtract the fiber count from the total carb count of a certain food item. This gives you what are called Effective Carbs - the carbs that raise insulin. Fiber is neutral.

A better option than metamucil is psyllium as it's practially all fiber. And the best is eating enough vegetables and letting your body adjust to your new way way of eating so no fiber supplements will be needed at all.

Karen

MistyBee
Tue, May-07-02, 18:15
... the one from the library is 1999.

There are extra chapters in the newest one, right?

-m-

Karen
Tue, May-07-02, 23:22
There are a few more chapters as well as new information. I just wish he would have explained that there are withdrawal symptoms, to keep calories up and not freak if ketosticks show no more than trace. Oh, and keep off the scale too! ;)

Karen

MistyBee
Thu, May-09-02, 12:55
I have a hard time staying away from the scale. So I have a rule - I can step on it as much as I want, but only the "official" weighing counts for _anything_.

So when I stepped on the scale on Wednesday morning first thing for the official weigh in it was 234.5 so I have to count my weight as that. The fact that it was 236 this morning is not allowed to count for anything and I don't get to tell people I weigh 236 (if for some reason I was telling my weight!)

In OA they would only let me weigh in on the first day of the month... I hope to get back to that kind of schedule for my "official" weighs.

Withdrawal is dreadful!! :cry:

I can't believe some times how far reaching it is. In OA we said 21-30 days for withdrawal, so I shouldn't be surprised that in the second low carb week I am having a harder time, but of course I thought it would be different this time!

:rolleyes:

I am doing well though - after saying I wasn't going to give up coffee yet I am actually on day 2 of no coffee... anything that interferes with this WOL is on its way out, I just have to be patient about it. Day at a Time...

I am enjoying my wonderful food plan immensely. The food itself it so good tasting... things like cabbage, which I hadn't eaten in years, are marvelous...

I'm definitely going to get the 2002 edition and do my homework. Getting to know what will work for me is going to help me to stick to this, then it will be MY plan... <g>

Thanks for being there....

-Misty

Onward and Downward!

wimpystl
Sun, May-12-02, 16:37
To SarahE11
Dringking enough water is one of the hardest things for me to do.
I started taking a natural firber laxative, you know the orange flavored one, and that really helps me start the dayoff with a good glass of water. I do this twice a day and have had know problem. I know that sounds funny but I need all the water I can get. Also I eat the carb bars and drink 20oz of water them all the time with them. I use to drink alot of coffee I mean alot and have cut it down over half because I know I need to drink my water.
Good luck

MistyBee
Tue, May-21-02, 21:06
I'm still struggling... never get to where I should be but today I am having more water than usual...

-m-

wimpystl
Wed, May-22-02, 03:09
Mistybee, I never imagined that I would stop drinking coffee. I use to use cream but several years ago I tried it black because of another diet i was on and I liked it. Give me a good expresso anytime :daze: I'll say a prayer for you that God will give you the strength to keep you going this time in the right direction.
Keepup the good work :thup:

MistyBee
Fri, May-24-02, 22:05
Originally posted by wimpystl
I'll say a prayer for you that God will give you the strength to keep you going this time in the right direction.
Keepup the good work :thup:

Thanks, w!

A day at a time, I will try...

I have never liked black coffee but now when I crave a cuppa I am trying to have it decaf....

I gave up putting sugar in it several years ago so that is not an issue for me...love the cream tho!!

-m-

wannbeslim
Tue, May-28-02, 13:46
Mistybe,

Try drinking your water at room temp. I know that sounds wierd, but it helps with those coffee cravings - you know, craving for something warm to drink. Also, I like Talking Rain water - it is bubbly and fun to drink and comes in 20 oz bottles, which is great for measuring consumption. If you have a costco by you they sell it by the case for about $10. Second, never drink more than 16 oz - 20 oz of water in an hour or you could overload your system - better to spread it out through out the day. Good luck!

j :wave:

aggieamy
Tue, May-28-02, 16:43
OK I was wondering .. you have all said that the low carb bar have stuff in them.. even the atkins ones? I dont think that he would put his name on something that would have a bunch of carbs in it ???? :confused:

Straboy
Sun, Jun-02-02, 11:57
<b>What is the rule of Thumb?</b>

Am I correct in saying that I can eat or drink anything regardless of the ingredient as long as I stay under my carb count daily? Or are there good carbs and bad ones?

This ECC thing is new to me also. Does this mean that my portion of breakfast cereal may be 10 gms of carbs but also 8gms of fiber and effectively this means that I have only consumed 2 gms of carbs?

:idea: This is a lightening bolt for me. :idea:

I had no idea. Someone confirm this please.[B]

Karen
Sun, Jun-02-02, 15:39
Am I correct in saying that I can eat or drink anything regardless of the ingredient as long as I stay under my carb count daily? Or are there good carbs and bad ones?

No, there are good carbs and bad carbs.

In the Rules of the Induction Diet Atkins states: Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first few weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrate such as chick peas, kidney beans and other legumes are not permitted at this time.

After induction, carbs are increased in 5 gram per week increments, but not increased with bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Vegetables are used and a few nuts if you do not have any problems with them.

Karen

Meadow
Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:36
Using a spreedsheet is a fantastic tool. Not only can you use it to track your carbs, but you can also use it to track your daily eating. You can set it to total up your protein, carbs and fluid intake per meal and a running total for the day. Great Idea Karen. Thanks!

:daizy: Lark

ozzyturn
Thu, Jul-25-02, 22:23
Hi Phil,

I'm in Australia so this may not be helpful, but I looked through all of the fibre supplements to find the one lowest in carbs and here it is Benefiber. It's guar gum based and from memory 1g instead of 5g.

Also it tastes like nothing, smells like nothing and can be added to anything (including still water) without detection. The Claytons of Fibre supplements!!!

I would recommend it. Also I :wave: 'm on Atkins and having great results, so Good Luck!

Sam

PoofieD
Sun, Sep-15-02, 16:31
I can agree that a diet buddy can be like an exercise buddy.. EVer time I have tried that route .. UGGGHY!!!
But what you need to do is find a good support system. (anyone that is posting and reading here has started that!)
My sisters and I have all different metabolic types.
for one family.. we seem to run the gamut.
We can't buddy up. Even when I lived with Tanya. she did her exercise and I did mine.. but we cheered each other one.
THAT is what helps to find your way through nutritional mazes.
SO.. whoever said.. they didn't like the buddy system. I agree..I like the Network system!
:cheer:
Poofie!

HLFAN
Sat, Sep-28-02, 17:48
Hi Karen, How are you? Would like to discuss Wasa bread with you. I seem to be the only one eating it. Actually, I've eaten it for 30 years as a bread substitute once and a while. On Atkins I've only had 1 slice this week and I miss it.

What I want to know is, since Wasa bread has more fibre than
carbs, would it be ok to eat it a little more often? I really need the fibre. (I've always eaten very high fibre). Wasa lite has 13g of fibre and only 6.6g of carbs. Am I in negative carbs? :p What do you think? Thanks, Nancy :wave:

Karen
Sat, Sep-28-02, 18:36
Hey Nancy! They must be some special Wasa crackers you have there because they do contain carbohydrates.

We had a discussion on Wasa Light here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=502128&highlight=wasa#post502128), so as you can see, they are not that high in fiber.

I think spinach would be a better choice. One cup of cooked spinach contains 6.75 g of carbohydrates and 4.32 g of fiber. So, the effective carbs would be 2.43 g. In fact, many low-carb leafy greens are higher in fiber than Wasa crackers.

I personally don't eat anything with grain - I'm a paleo wannabe - but there are a few people who do with no problems.

Karen

kbays17
Sun, Dec-01-02, 16:47
Hi!

I need a little bit of clarification.

I just read through the Label Reading thread, and I have a question. How can a food have sugar and be carb free? Also, Hotdogs have nitrates, but the ones I saw at the store have less that 2% nitrates. Would those be ok or shoud I totally avoid ANYTHING with nitrates?

I know the book says stay away from sugar, but it emphasizes counting carbs. So if a salad dressing has no carbs but a little bit of sugar is it ok?

Also, I have one final question: If I count the carbs of something with low carbs for example a "one or two" carb salad dressing and count them in my total carbs, and one of the ingreedents is sugar is it ok to have?

~K
:angel:

jimjam
Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:28
Wow - a lot of great information, thanks!!

Karen
Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:49
I just read through the Label Reading thread, and I have a question. How can a food have sugar and be carb free?

It can't, but it can state that it's carb free because it has less than 1 gram of carbohydrates per serving.

For the rest of your questions, it depends on how "pure" you want to be. Some take that approach, and some don't. It's what you feel comfortable with and how cleanly you want to eat.

Karen

roselocarb
Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:23
I have been doing Atkins for about 6 weeks. I have lost 7 kgs 15.4lbs.

Am wondering about my fibre intake, reading above it sounds like psyllium or metamucil are fairly popular.

What about Atkins for my overweight 13 year old son?

any ideas?

Great forum

Thanks, Rose

freydis
Wed, Jan-08-03, 22:43
A woman called into the Larry King show yesterday with a question about her 13-yr-old daughter. Dr. Atkins was all for the child being put on the plan. On here, most people suggest beginning at maintenance level for kids. Since it's almost impossible to regulate everything they put in their mouths, I go a bit stricter when I do have control, like for lunches or at home, but I ease up for social occasions.

roselocarb
Wed, Jan-08-03, 23:07
thanks for that info, he has been doing it for about 10 days. He is very good, packed his lunch today as he was going to a friend's place - salad, hard boiled egg, cheese and a can of diet coke - all without me mentioning it.

He is starting to see results so it is easy for him to keep keen I guess.

Rose

flossie
Wed, Jan-15-03, 09:27
hi just read this stuff and was confused about the fat protein thing. maybe i dont eat enought fat. i have olive oil on my salad as a dressing and then fry with it for a stir fry at dinner. is this ok. also read about the suger stuff. should i avoid all food that has suger as part of its carb count???

leegeddy
Mon, Feb-10-03, 17:23
I have recently started the Atkins version of LC and wanted to know how to handle the claims that Malitol counts as basically zero carbs. Many of the candy bars and other "sweet" offerings have this as a main ingredient - and I am not sure if I really should be counting the total number of carbs - or only the "remainder" (usually 1-2 as they indicate on their packaging).

Please help - I am still in the induction phase and would prefer not to prolong the process of getting my body "into gear".

THANKS! :spin:

Karen
Tue, Feb-11-03, 02:52
leegeddy, if you click on Low Carb Tips at the top of the page, you'll find an article on sugar alcohols that explains the whole mystery.

Karen

Foxy59
Sun, Feb-16-03, 16:38
Hello,

I have a question that is confusing me at the moment. I am on Atkins and I know that I can deduct the fibre content from the carbs on the back of the packet to get my digestable carb count. I have been quite happily doing that until today when I found some brazil nuts which had a higher fibre count than carb count. Does that make it 0g of carb, (which I find hard to believe), or am I just looking at this wrong.

Thanks,

Foxy

Karen
Sun, Feb-16-03, 17:33
Does that make it 0g of carb, (which I find hard to believe), or am I just looking at this wrong.

It's not you, it's the labelling. When you run across a "miracle product, it's usually because the fiber has been pre-subtracted from the carb count.

Have a look at the Hidden Carbs Inspector in Low Carb Tools at the top of the page. It will set those Brazil nuts straight! :)

Karen

TimNichols
Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:56
Hi Karen,

I first began my venture with Atkins diet 2 years ago, lost 30 llbs in 8 weeks, it was awesome but unfortunately I gained it all back. My 3 young kids finally got me eating their food again darn :thdown: ! Well I started back on the diet 4 weeks ago and have done well, have lost 14 llbs. When I was on the diet a couple of years ago I lost alot of muscle which can be normal but this time I began lifting weights to prevent muscle loss. I have found a whey protein supplement powder to drink before my workouts it contains 2g carbs :D per shake not including the 1 oz of heavy wiped cream I add. Do you think this will hurt my weightloss? I would love to be able to build muscle and still be able to lose the fat if its possible! I have been using it for about a week and it has slown me down some but I am still at a moderate level on the ketostix. Thanks for your Help!!!

ewinpa
Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:05
Hi, how do I count the carbs and fiber for an Atkins advantage bar on FitDay? Doing it the usual way gives me 21 carbs a bar, I know that's not right!!
Thanks.

luddybell
Sun, Mar-09-03, 03:11
besides the caffiene?? doe

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 2210
Fat: 153 1377 63%
Sat: 54 483 22%
Poly: 26 232 11%
Mono: 61 546 25%
Carbs: 13 53 2%
Fiber: 0 0 0%
Protein: 185 741 34%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Totals 2210 153 13 185

this was yesterdays menu calories and things :confused:

saja
Mon, Mar-10-03, 15:02
Karen,

I have started induction today, but have a question. Dr. Atkins says you can have 2 cups of salad greens and 1 cup of other vegetables totaling 20 carbs. I went through the book and that is WAY less than 20 carbs when you count the digestible carbs. So can I have more than that? for example 6 cups of lettuce and 2 cups of veggies. Even when I count eggs and cheese it seems to be less. Am I wrong?

doreen T
Mon, Mar-10-03, 15:20
hi Sasha,

I'm not Karen :) ... but since she's away for a few weeks, hope you don't mind if I offer my 2˘.

Yes, you are right. You may choose whatever combination of low-carb, high-fiber veggies (from the allowed foods list) will net you 20g carbs ... be sure to include the incidental carbs in things like cheese, eggs, coffee (if you drink it), cream and artificial sweetener though.

The recommendation for 2 cups salad + 1 cup cooked veg. is just a guideline. And do remember that "salad" isn't just lettuce .. if you look at the list of suggested veg. it includes mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, raw spinach, cucumbers etc etc.

hth,

Doreen

saja
Mon, Mar-10-03, 16:06
Thanks Doreen!
I am sure I will be back here with more questions later.

Jones
Fri, Mar-14-03, 12:11
Are you kidding me, Doreen T? I have been racking my brain to figure out how to get up to 20 carbs a day without eating huge amounts of dairy. I thought I was only allowed to eat two cups of salad vegs and 1 cup of other veg a day on induction. I would love to be eating a big pile of spinach instead of those "staller" bars to increase my counts. Please, say it's true......

Jones

Howie
Fri, Mar-14-03, 21:37
Hi all,

OK, I have read the book and gone over the induction section numerous times. I consider myself a fairly quick study but I was a bit foggy on the counting carbs deal. Dr. Atkins suggests that you eat "liberally" of the meats/fish/eggs, 3-4 oz (around 100g?) of cheese and 3 cups of leafy greens or only 2 cups in you have a cup of the "other" vegetables. He also mentions olives and avocados. Then there is the 20g of carbs a day part. Hmmmm? So from reading Doreen's post I am now understand that this 20g of carbs are to be considered even when following the liberal meats/3cups leafy greens/other veggie menu. Do I have it now?

Also, any tips on recognising the weight/volume of foods? I look at a bunch of cauliflower and I have no idea if it's a cup, half a cup, or 2 cups. Don't get me started on ounces!

I started this diet on Monday and it seems to be going well. 5lbs down and not hungry yet.

Rina
Thu, May-01-03, 03:34
Hi,

I understand from some websites about this Atkins diet and wanted to try it out.. understand that there are books on how to go about it. While doing a search in Kinokuniya, it shows quite a number of books under Dr Atkins... Wonder which would be most helpful for a beginner like me. Can any of you advice me???

A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out"

Karen
Sun, May-04-03, 11:37
Hello all! :D

This thread has been closed. To ask questions pertaining to this thread, use the Newbies Questions Forum (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=110&s=).

Karen