PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Issue

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DebraAnnG
Sun, Mar-05-06, 07:22
Hi everyone,

I am new to the SBD and I have been stuggling to get started. However,
I seem to have discovered my trigger to binging.... breakfast!
It does not seem to matter what I eat or how much or how little, if I
eat anything before noon I end up binging. Yesterday I had a cup of
coffee when I got up, I excercised and then I had a glass of SF
Metamucil and lots of water. Then I did not eat until 12:30ish when I
had tuna on celery. I was not at all hungry until dinnertime and was
finally able to get past day 1. I know that breakfast is supposed to be
crucial to weightloss and it boosts your metabolism, etc... but it just
does not work for me. Does anybody else have this problem?

Hopefully, I am now on my way to succeeding with this WOE. Debra

foxgluvs
Sun, Mar-05-06, 07:37
Ok, so what are you concidering to be bingeing? Can you tell me what has happened past days and how it's been derailing you? What foods do you end up eating?

I need to know how it happens before I can help you :)

DebraAnnG
Sun, Mar-05-06, 08:35
My first attempt was to have an omlet made with 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white and I added some mushrooms and peppers to it along with some back bacon. After eating it I was starving.... which is interesting since prior to eating I was not even hungry... how weird is that? Anyways, I then ate some almonds and I was still hungry. So I ate the left over brussel sprouts from the night before and I was still hungry..... this went on and on all day. I tried to stay with foods which were allowed but I felt miserable and ravenous. Eventually I just ate off plan and decided to try again the next day when I ate leftover chicken breasts and veggies for breakfast..... the same thing happened. So yesterday I decided not to eat until I actually felt hungry which was shortly after noon. I ate tuna on celery sticks and was perfectly fine until dinner.

foxgluvs
Sun, Mar-05-06, 09:39
Ok, judging by this, I would say that you are experiencing something which in time would go away of its own accord! Are you one of those kinds of people who never use to eat breakfast anyway? If this is the case then I would suggest your metabolism is actually enjoying your input of food, and is actually 'fireing up' when you put fule into your body, hence the hungry feeling.

If you want my honest opinions, I really think you shouldn't cut out breakfast in favour of eating later in the day. This way of life isn't about cutting too much out, it's about eating regularly to keep the metabolism burning fat. If you starve your system until lunch, I believe this will only go a long way to messing up your metabolism.

Even if you eat 6 or 8 times a day for the first few weeks, smaller amounts but regularly, I think it will help your metabolism get into a routine, and this will help you in the long run.
It doesn't matter if you feel like you're eating all day, it will help with the loss. I know it sounds rediculous to say if you eat more food you will lose weight, but it's true!!

When I first started LC I often didn't eat until lunchtime and it was difficult to get into a regular eating pattern. I felt like I was continually eating, but eventually you get use to having breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack and then dinner. It really fires up the system.

I can only advise on my past experience, others might have different ideas. I would be interested to find out what Judynyc thinks about this, I might ask her to take a look at what you've said and see what she feels about it.

I hope you manage to find a happy medium!! :)
Hazel
x

miezimau
Sun, Mar-05-06, 10:00
I second what Hazel said!
Just continue to eat Breakfast and your body will get used to it over time. I always skipped brekfast and it took my body a while to get used to it. I would sometimes go until after 11am until I ate something and now I eat no later than 1 hour after I get up. It will take time, but your body will adjust.

Judynyc
Sun, Mar-05-06, 10:29
:agree: Yup!! I agree with Hazel and Susan.....breakfast is not an option and somehting that, in the long run, is the most important meal of the day.

In a study done of people who have lost weight and kept it off, 3 common factors emerged from the study.
1- They all eat breakfast
2- They all exercise regularly
3- They all weigh regularly

I now have 1/2 cup of yogurt with my morning coffee but I'm in maintenance and do things a bit differently for my body.

You don't have to have eggs for breakfast. You can try 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a tomato or hummus and fresh veggies. Think outside of the traditional breakfast box. :idea: :agree:

Good Luck to you!!! :D

DebraAnnG
Sun, Mar-05-06, 14:24
Thanks everyone.... I will try again. I know what you are saying makes sense. However, it is impossible for me to eat within an hour of getting up as I excercise after my coffee and I can't do 45 minutes on my eliptical machine with food in my stomach. I will have breakfast tomorrow morning after my workout.

foxgluvs
Sun, Mar-05-06, 15:11
How about just having something really small before your workout? Like a small slice of LF cheese, or a few pieces of red pepper dipped in hummus.....something really tiny, but enough to kick start your metabolism? It doesn't have to be huge, just something to line your tummy?
Might be worth a go? :)

evie25
Sun, Mar-05-06, 21:42
Hello DebraAnn :wave: ..I'm just new here too, although I've done LC before. You mentioned having coffee first thing in the morning, is that dacaf? or no.I am a breakfast junkie, so I need my protein & lots of it!, but I also love my coffee first thing when I get up, boy! let me tell you my blood sugar crashes like crazy! and even after I have breaky I'm still hungry,I'm going to switch to decaf when I get up tomorrow morning, I know it's going to be tough, but later in the day I'll have a "real cuppa" & see how I am. :)

DebraAnnG
Mon, Mar-06-06, 05:19
Okay... I will eat "something small" before I work out and then have an actual breakfast afterwards.

Coffee... interesting point. I drink regular not decaf, but that is also worth a try. I never even thought of that.

Thanks again everyone, I will get this figured out yet!

shopgirl28
Mon, Mar-06-06, 18:25
Caffeine definitely causes me to derail from whatever eating program I'm on; so does fake sugars; maybe go without coffee one morning; or if you can't then cut back a little bit. you may find that the coffee is causing the cravings