PDA

View Full Version : Question for Melsa - Low Carb Bread

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

K-Louise
Mon, Dec-31-01, 22:33
Hi Melsa,

I saw in another thread that you had been able to order low carb bread through your health food store in Northbridge plaza. My local store has offered to do the same :)

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind?

1. What is the bread called?
2. How does it taste?
3. Has it affected your weight loss at all.

It does seem like a great addition to increase carb values after induction to find Critical Carb level. We are supposed to (on Atkins) increase by 5 g per week until we find the level we stop losing or go out of Ketosis , right? Having a slice of toast for breakfast seems like a great measure.

I'm interested to hear your comments on it.

Thanks
Kim

Melsa
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:16
Hi Kim,

Happy New Year! I called the store today as they still haven't been able to get it in for me. The manufacturer closed down over Christmas. They say it should be able to be ordered next week. It is called AlphaLfe and is made by a company called Country Life.

Supposedly it is 7 grams per slice so I guess we definately will have to be a bit wary of it (2 slices would almost be too much I think for me at this stage). I have also heard that the WA company Bodhis also make a low carb bread called something like lo-carbo (check the website for details) that also has 7 grams.

I will definatley be trying a bit next week (after Thursday).

I have been thinking about ordering some of the Atkins bread mix off the internet What do you think, do you know of anyone here who has tried it? I get so jealous when I see all of the food available on the American website, I wish we had that range here!

Have a great day

Cheers

Melsa

K-Louise
Thu, Jan-03-02, 23:12
Thanks Melsa,

Let us all know how you go with the bread. We will let your be our Guinea Pig :D

I'd be happy (once I'm losing well) to try just one slice a day every now and then. Some grilled cheese, ham and tomato on toast for breakfast :) is one of the few things I really miss and seems a nice break from eggs.

I also envy the Americans having such great access to goods. I don't know anyone who has tried the Atkins bread mix, but I'm sure one of the americans online can help.

I did hear that there was a health food store in Victoria (GNC) that stocked Atkins products. GNC are taking over some stores in Sydney, so maybe they have plans to stock Atkins stuff also?

Thanks
Kim

Melsa
Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:19
Hi Kim,

ooh I hope you are right about the stores in Melbourne. I am down there quite a bit for work so might see if I can track this down. I will let you know how I go!

Cheers

Melsa

Melsa
Thu, Jan-10-02, 22:46
Hi Kim,

Just to give you an update. The Health Food store 'forgot' my order this week and although very apologetic the bread now won't be in until NEXT Friday. Arghhh.

Maybe this is a good thing, another week to stay on less than 20grms of carbs a day.

Have a great weekend.

cheers

Melsa

Melsa
Tue, Jan-29-02, 23:45
Hi Kim,

Well finally it is here. Low carb bread - hhhmmmmm. Alpha Life by Country Bake. It is really quite nice, especially toasted. I also bought Smoodge Peanut Buttter from Coles and it is scrummy delicious and low in carbs.

Hope you get to enjoy it soon.

Cheers

Melsa

MissBecca
Wed, Jan-30-02, 07:48
Kim,

I've been investigating the Lo Carbo bread from Bodhi's - I'm going to get some when I next go shopping (probably tomorrow).

It has 7.1g carb per slice, of which 3g is fibre :D. The fact sheet is available at http://www.bodhi.com.au/new/lowcarbofactsheet.pdf.

Bodhi's is a WA company but can deliver all over the world - and within Australia in 3 days. You can call them on 08 9335 5582 or email at mail~bodhi.com.au to order it yourself - or Coles might have it (they do in WA) or a good health shop should be able to order it for you (but might be cheaper if you cut out the middle man - I think it's about $5 or $6 per loaf).

Rebecca

sammiejam
Thu, Jan-31-02, 15:59
hi guys

i have a container of the Atkins bake mix. It is worst than gross, it is so repulsive that i could not have more than one bite of the pancakes i made. It was $30 from GNC in parramatta and a total waste of money and the time it took to get it. Never again. Kim you can have it when we meet up ( hopefully tomorrow?)

www.pictureofhealth.com.au have finally listed muffins, and porridge mix, and i think pancakes are in the nest few days!! I have tried all of the stuff and it is DELICIOUS!!!! i think the muffins and oatmeal are better than the high carb cos they are not as dry as the normal ones. The pancakes are pretty much the same as regular, only a little thinner (crepes really) THe carb counts for the muffins are .6 of digestable fibre each and the same for the oatmeal. Each pancake is about 1. g carb.

Dianne
Fri, Feb-15-02, 20:47
Melsa

I am trying to locate the AlphaLife in Brisbane.

Could you please tell me if the manufacturer is Country Life Bakery or Country Bake. I will then give them a call and find out who their Brisbane distributer is.

Thanks very much.

Dianne

Melsa
Sun, Feb-17-02, 15:00
Hi Dianne,

I am pretty sure it is Country life bakery. On their website there is a number you can call and they will tell you where the nearest distributers are.

Good luck!

Melsa