PDA

View Full Version : breakfast food

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sweetness2
Sun, Feb-19-06, 20:22
OK so I have been eating 2 HB eggs for breakfast each morning and I am so sick of them I can't even swallow them anymore (don't like eggs that much to begin with anyways) What do you all eat in the morning that doesn't consist of eggs. I used to have some turkey bacon in the morning but stopped because of the sodium and I don't really like to cook in the morning. Any ideas would help...I am in phase 2

Judynyc
Sun, Feb-19-06, 20:39
You can eat any protein for breakfast as it does not have to be eggs. I rarely have eggs for breakfast.

I start my day with yogurt and coffee. sometimes I'll have leftover protein from dinner the night before and have that for my breakfast. :idea:

Here are some other ideas for you:
cottage cheese with chopped fresh veggies
ind can of tuna or salmon w/ lt mayo and fresh chopped veggies

Try to think of non traditional breakfast foods that you enjoy and eat that for breakfast. Be creative!! :agree: :D

skalar
Sun, Feb-19-06, 20:50
I make a 'milkshake' during the week. I just can't cook something in the morning, the smell makes me nauseous.

I blend the following in a blender: 1/2 c. skim milk, 1/3 - 1/2 c. skim ricotta (for thickening, you can't taste it at all), 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa (Fry's brand), 3 grams/packets Splenda, 1 tsp. instant coffee and about 1/2 glass of ice. I put it in a travel mug and sip it on the way to work.

About an hour or two later I'll have a snack that involves a veg or V8 in some way to work a veggie in before lunch.

On the weekends, I'm totally lazy in the morning and I don't wake up early enough for a separate breakfast. So I usually have a big brunch with eggs (like a veggie omelet or fritata).

(Oh yeah, on the milkshake. The calories that you use for Splenda and cocoa count toward your 75 calories of sweets for the day.)

thirteenlb
Sun, Feb-19-06, 21:53
--2 tbsp of hummus w sliced vegetables;
--yogurt (sf) + peanut butter;
--grilled (leftover) vegetables + tuna;
--caesar salads;
--low- gi cereal + skim milk or Moo Not + canadian bacon, for some fat;
--lc shakes ( I like the lc slimfast ones and atkins ones)
--1/2 c oatmeal w cinnamon and butter or butter substitute for some fat

ProfGumby
Sun, Feb-19-06, 22:59
Breakfast foods?

Anything that is not an egg yet still LC works for me, though I love eggs and eat them daily!

Most mornings I have a hopped up protein shake as I work out. I will also have a little something else, always protein like a HB egg, or a piece of meat etc....this is to keep the Omega 3 suppliments and glucosamine from repeating on me. My burps taste to vitaminy with only the shake.

Otherwise a typical morning meal for me is one scrambled egg w/ spinnach and cheese. If I do not work out that morning, I have a second egg in that scramble.

I frequently add meats like bacon bits, ham, breakfast sausage, some left over bratwurst or Italian sausage etc...

If you don't like eggs so much, use one egg, some heavy cream and double the spinnach, mushrooms and meat. You will basically have just enough egg to kind of loosely hold it almost together.

I will also cook up some traditional dinner fare like beef, but for breakfast. I basically eat what I want, when I want it! Beef for breakfast, omlet for dinner, that's fine by me!

Steak, it is not just for breakfast anymore!

sweetness2
Mon, Feb-20-06, 00:17
Thanks everyone I will try the things you mentioned...there's no point in eating somethng you don't like...thanks again
BTW Scaler that's an interesting shake I am going to try sometime next week...I will let you know how it turns out

pamb
Mon, Feb-20-06, 08:16
I sometimes have cottage cheese w/ cinnamon,sweet n low and pecans. delish!

I have also made a crustless spinach pie. It has eggs in it but more spinach that eggs. That was good. I think I found a recipe for it on 3fatchicks.com.

South beach recipes:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114

p.i.n.k
Mon, Feb-20-06, 16:49
What does sodium do to a diet? Is too much of it bad for you? I usually don't eat too much salt but i was just curious when you said that you stopped eating turkey because of the sodium? I'm tired of eggs too...but i don't really like cottage cheese either because i don't like cold foods in the morning=\...i need some good breakfast ideas, that are quick.

sweetness2
Mon, Feb-20-06, 21:12
Sodium makes you retain water...I used to eat a lot of turkey bacon in the morning then stopped after learning this from Judy and noticed a difference.

Judynyc
Mon, Feb-20-06, 21:15
Sodium makes you retain water...I used to eat a lot of turkey bacon in the morning then stopped after learning this from Judy and noticed a difference.

Yes :agree: ....that is why we are told to avoid processed meats in general and are allowed only 2 slices of turkey bacon a day. :idea: