PDA

View Full Version : Low-carb hot cereal that tastes good ... not for Induction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Sun, Dec-30-01, 22:53
I experimented with a few ingredients, and came up with a hot cereal that is low carb -- 5g net or effective carbs PLUS 3.3g fiber per serving -- AND it tastes good.

The recipe makes 10 Tbsp dry cereal. Divided into 3 portions will yield a generous bowl of porridge when the water is added.Doreen's Muesli

2 Tbsp "quick" oats (not instant)
2 Tbsp wheat germ
2 Tbsp chopped almonds
2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
place all but the flax seeds in a dry skillet. Toast lightly over medium heat ... remove when it's just starting to get golden and smells nice and toasty -- it will scorch easily.
let it cool; stir in ground flax seeds, then store in a tightly covered container in the fridge. Will keep for a week; longer in freezer.
makes 3 servings.

to prepare for eating: place 3 rounded Tbsp of dry cereal in bowl -- add a wee pinch of salt if desired. Pour in 1/2 cup boiling water, stir, then place a saucer or some improvised cover over the bowl and let it stand for 3 minutes. You may wish to add a little more water. Add a dot of butter, some vanilla or sprinkle of cinnamon, sweetener of choice, any other flavour of choice. Pour on a little cream and enjoy.For the recipe - calories: 330, fat: 25g, carbs: 25g / fiber: 10g (15g ECC), protein: 14g

per serving - calories: 110, fat: 8.3g, carbs: 8.3g / fiber: 3.3g (5g ECC), protein: 4.7g

Doreen

Victoria
Sun, Dec-30-01, 23:31
Thank you Doreen,
I love the idea of having warm cereal when it's cold. Thank you for taking the time to type it out for us and show all the numbers for it. I will definitely try this and almost have everything for it. ;) By the way...what a beautiful new picture of you!!! :wave: Victoria

alto
Mon, Dec-31-01, 00:58
YES! That will work. I had tried stirring ground flax into oatmeal and I liked it, but this is a much better mix!

You're a genius, Doreen :) Do you think you could find a packager for this? Why not sell frozen breakfast cereal, wrapped in individual packets that could be left on the counter (overnight? would that be safe?) to thaw. Copyright this so no one else steals it :)

doreen T
Mon, Dec-31-01, 08:47
Hmm, copyrights..... never thought of it before. But now that I do think about it, I HAVE posted quite a few recipes here over the last year that truly are my own invention.

As far as leaving it out overnight ... I know that traditional muesli is often prepared by an overnight soak method, with a little chopped fruit added. Only difference with this is the ground flax ... the essential fatty acids in flax oxidize quickly in heat, air and light.(hours though, not minutes ;)) .. This is why I recommend you don't toast the ground flax with the rest, and also why it should be stored in the fridge. The toasted grains and nuts alone would be fine to keep at room temp. But it's the flax that provides most of the fiber here. Without it, the cereal would be mostly starch carbs, with only half the fiber grams. In spite of what the "health food" folks like to tell us ... whole grains aren't the big fiber bargains at all. Vegetables are. Hmmm ... maybe I should experiment with some grated veggies in the mix ... not kidding .... some shredded zucchini would be bland, would add fiber, bulk. I'm going to try it!! and keep y'all posted how it turns out. Unsweetened coconut is another possibility, and different nuts ... hazelnuts and pecans would be good :yum:

Doreen

Ajastoy
Thu, Jul-18-02, 15:56
Have you tried Flax-o-Meal cereals yet? I've opened mine just yesterday and had it for breakfast, and then again for lunch today. In butter pecan,, added butter a touch of cream and a drizzle of Atkins hazlenut syrup,, god it was to die for!

Never did I think I would rave about a LC hot cereal, lol.

Nancy

Flaxie
Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:19
Hi Nancy and Doreen (ya cooking genius)

I created the FlaxOmeal cereal, so it makes me smile to hear that you love it so much. In my new company we have plans for hot cereal in individual "on the go" type cups.... just add hot water and stir. Any suggestions on flavors? I'm thinking a banana nut, maybe..... or even coconut macadamia??? (yummm :-) I make all my hot cereals at home, of course, but I know some people want the convenience of buying it already mixed. I usually add some pecans and coconut to mine, as well.
Today it will be 100 degrees in South Texas, so no hot cereal for this kid. Have you tried the lean protein bites as a cold cereal??? SOOOOO good.

Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee :-)

DarkLotus
Tue, Aug-06-02, 10:40
I eat flax-o-meal for breakfast probably 3 times a week. I always put fresh berries in it, with some heavy cream and 1 packet of splenda. The cinnamon spice tastes much better with some nutmeg in it. Banana nut would be nice to try too.

Flaxie
Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:15
Actually, the cinnamon spice has nutmeg in it. but I agree it needs more. My new company is a little bigger on stronger flavors, so you'll definitely taste the spices more. I think a banana nut would be really popular and maybe a pumpkin spice around Holiday times would be cool, too. Feel free to offer any suggestions!!!

Thanks,
Julee

VickiP
Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:39
Any ideas on how to make this without almonds? I hate almonds and I can't stand the hint of taste of them in anything.
Thanks,
Tori

Flaxie
Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:55
Tori,
Sure. Just use equal parts flax seed meal and wheat bran....add a scoop of protein powder and whatever flavorings you want. (cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, whatever) Add a dash of salt and then add boiling water. Stir til thickened, eat with cream, butter and Splenda.
Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee

VickiP
Sun, Aug-18-02, 06:52
Cool - thanks. I'm going to try that.
Tori

amytx
Thu, Aug-22-02, 07:07
I LOVE this cereal. I upped the amount of wheat germ and added less oatmeal to bring down carbs and it was Very tasty-I have eaten it with splenda and cream 3 mornings in a row. It is very tasty and not expensive at all to make-unlike other low carb ready made cereals. I didn't want to trouble with boiling water so I just dumped my 1/2 cup into my bowl, stirred, and nuked it for 2 and 1/2 minutes. I also tried to figure out how to grind my whole flax seeds and ended up using my electric coffee grinder-it worked great! Thanks for the fantastic recipe! :)

Flaxie
Thu, Aug-22-02, 09:29
You are sure welcome. Just remember there is a difference between wheat bran and wheat germ. Wheat germ is higher in carbs and has a different texture.

Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee :-)

Dale
Fri, Aug-30-02, 00:50
Thank you so much for the cereal recipe. In Australia, we literally cannot get any of the Keto, etc etc brands. The dollar and the freight is way too high.

So being able to make cereal is ab fab! Can I substitute the wheat bran for example, oat bran or rice bran?

Many thanks
Dale

kellser
Fri, Aug-30-02, 01:29
The recipe was great. I always appreciate recipes that make me happy with food! Warm breakfast is always yummy for my tummy... :rheart:

bblondie
Tue, Sep-03-02, 09:37
Where do u get flax-o-meal? How many carbs does it have. I would love to have hot cereal in the morning. I'm getting tired of eggs!!

oregongirl
Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:32
This may sound silly... where do I buy flax seed? I have never experimented with flax seed before.
Oregongirl

Flaxie
Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:53
You can buy any of the lowcarb hot cereals at Netrition or Carbsmart, although to get the Atkins one you might have to go to the atkins site...I'm not sure on that one.
As for flaxseed meal you can get it at most health food stores. It's the greatest stuff in the world, really. You can add it to shakes, add it to meatloaves and salmon patties as a breading, put it over salads.
We use golden flax in our Cream of Flax hot cereal, but it's not available at Netrition or Carbsmart quite yet. About another 2 weeks or so.
Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee

oregongirl
Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:56
Julee
Thank you for the info. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oregongirl :roll:

Norma June
Fri, Jan-31-03, 08:53
Originally posted by Ajastoy
Have you tried Flax-o-Meal cereals yet? I've opened mine just yesterday and had it for breakfast, and then again for lunch today. In butter pecan,, added butter a touch of cream and a drizzle of Atkins hazlenut syrup,, god it was to die for!

Never did I think I would rave about a LC hot cereal, lol.

Nancy

Someone please tell me that Flax-o-Meal cereals are available in Canada? Please!

I shop in the Barrie, ON area and need to find some "convenient" packaged LC cereals for our cold, winter months here in Canada Eh!

Doreen, I'm going to try your museli ... sounds delish!

lubajo
Tue, May-04-04, 21:42
I really enjoyed the recipe by Doreen T for Low-Carb Hot cereal....Very nice change from eggs...Very healthy too..In the 3T. I added the 1/2 cup water...It was very thin...but I put about 1 T of cream in it....and 1 pk of Splenda....I loved the nuts, oats...everything about it....wonderful change like I said.... :D

I will post the recipe for Cheese cake tomorrow....

craskey
Sat, Jan-29-05, 15:23
Hi, I'm new at this just at end of second week. Can I have this for breakfast whilst on the induction? If not, is there a way of altering the recipe to make it ok on induction? I'm desperate for cereal!!

mammac-5
Sat, Jan-29-05, 16:10
I like Bob's Red Mill brand golden flaxseed meal. I get it at a store locally, but it can also be ordered direct from Bob's online. It has milder flavor than the regular flaxseed meal.

I just mix up 1/2 c. of meal with about 1 tsp brown sugar substitute, 1 pkt Splenda, 1/2 c. very hot H2O and about a tsp of SF maple syrup. YUM!

Easy, quick and cheap.

ebonie1015
Sat, Jan-29-05, 16:42
the atkins website has hot cereal in 5 or 6 different flavors. the sweet maple and natural flavors are really good. you don't need to add anything to them and they are only 3 net carbs per package.

ebonie :)

craskey
Sat, Jan-29-05, 17:15
oh wow thanks I didn't know you could get such things. (I live in the UK and there doesn't seem to much of this stuff about) An these are ok on induction?

craskey
Sat, Jan-29-05, 17:19
Good grief I've just visited the web site I had no idea it existed. Great thank you so much....

cmcole
Mon, Feb-07-05, 11:43
You might want to add which level of Atkins you happen to be on, because Oats and nuts are not Induction friendly items.

I only post this as a precaution for new people who have just begun Atkins and think they can create this and have it for breakfast.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but it's best to know the food facts than to come back and say you haven't lost weight because you've added things too fast.

doreen T
Mon, Feb-07-05, 12:52
You might want to add which level of Atkins you happen to be on, because Oats and nuts are not Induction friendly items.
Good point. :idea: I've added "not for Induction" to the header.

Karen has put together an index of some Induction-friendly breakfast recipes here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126133), which folks may find useful :thup:

hth,

Doreen