PDA

View Full Version : I was wanting to know

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TammyL
Sun, Dec-30-01, 17:43
I was wanting to know I just purchased the Atkins diet drink and bar it is got hidden carbs that I don't need I don't want to start off on the wrong foot. Can someone please help me. :cool:

alto
Sun, Dec-30-01, 19:00
Hi, Tammy. Someone else asked a very similar question on another thread. You may want to click this link and read the responses:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28595

Susanjoyce
Mon, Dec-31-01, 08:39
I have tried lots of low carb bars and have found that they all have hidden carbs. I was really dissapointed to find out that Atkins had hidden carbs, I was sure they would be safe.
I have come to the conclusion that I will stay away from anything like that untill I reach my desired weight and then I can treat myself to some of those things once in a while. I really like the Low Carb candy bars and still might have a couple of them now and then but they do seem to stall me. So is it really worth it?

annasophia
Thu, Mar-31-05, 12:56
dont start with the low carb stuff, itl ruin the diet
i ate them for ages, spent so much money and never lost any weight

eat the foods allowed only, trust me

taming
Thu, Mar-31-05, 13:17
It's the sugar alcohols that are registering as extra/hidden carbs. FWIW, these also have calories, and if you count 4 calories/carb, it may show you where they are. Folks count the SA carbs in various ways.

Calories Per Gram of Sugar Alcohols 3
Sugar Alcohol Calories Per Gram

HSH 3.0

Sorbitol 2.6

Xylitol 2.4

Maltitol 2.1

Isomalt 2.0

Lactitol 2.0

Mannitol 1.6

Erythritol 0.2

Marieshops
Thu, Mar-31-05, 13:18
Hi Tammy

I'm not sure what you mean by "hidden" carbs. If you are talking about sugar alcohols that affect different people in different ways then it depends on what you bought. A lot of the Atkins Advantage bars do not have sa in them, you can check the label to see the ingredients. The ready to drink Atkins shakes do not contain sa either so the carb count should be correct. Hope this helps :)

Marie

JennLynnRN
Thu, Mar-31-05, 14:04
The almond brownie Advantage bar doesn't have SAs and is the only LC bar I will eat (cause it is the only one that doesn't taste like chalk IMO). I had this through induction and still do, and have never had problems with stalls. Everyone is different though, but I'd still recommend you rely on whole foods and try to avoid LC products as much as possible.

javamel
Thu, Mar-31-05, 14:08
I was so in denial for so long, thinking that the whole "net carb" lie was true.....I ended up gaianing back almost everything I lost that way! I ate lc cookies, ice cream, bars. You name it. Here I was thinking I was doing something good for myself by eatinl lc substitutes, and all the time I might as well have been eating the real things (at least they would have tasted better!) Now that I am back to eating only whole, clean foods and leaving the lc garbage for special treats, I am losing again.