PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a buddy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

donnaj
Sun, Dec-30-01, 11:40
I was wondering if anyone would like to be my buddy. I found out the last time I was Atkins that it helped to talk and share.
I would enjoying sharing my experience with someone.

agonycat
Sun, Dec-30-01, 11:47
Donna, Welcome to the forums.

You will find there are lots of buddies on these forums ;). We all share each others accomplishments as well as our weaknesses. Most have started journals in order to share their daily lives, post menu ideas, long time Low carbers will offer advice in your journal as to what you may be eating or drinking that you shouldn't be or to simply cheer you on towards your goal.

If you need advice or a shoulder to lean on, just give us a yell....we will respond in force :)

Again welcome and happy lo carb!

donnaj
Sun, Dec-30-01, 12:28
Thanks, I have started my journal and I have had alot of good advice. I am so glad that I found this site. :wave:

alto
Sun, Dec-30-01, 12:59
I'd like to add my welcome, Donna. I'm glad you started a journal -- you'll find it helpful, and so will others (and fun to do, too :) ) You might be interested in checking out the Countdown Club forum. There's a "190s" group with people near your weight, working downward. When you start poking around this site, you'll find a lot of different ways to get support and information :)

Good luck on your low carb journey!

donnaj
Sun, Dec-30-01, 17:33
Thanks Alto,
I will look into it. I need all the help I can get.
:wave:

justme
Tue, Jan-01-02, 19:11
I'd love to be your daily pen pal

prettybaby~cogeco.ca

donnaj
Tue, Jan-01-02, 20:38
I would love to be your buddy too. I will add you to my buddy list.
I will send you a message shortly. It is 9:45 pm here in Huntington West Virginia. :wave:

Millie
Wed, Jan-02-02, 15:16
hello

I have read several threads where ppl refer to starting a journal, is this online, if so where or is this at home and you post if you want to share with others?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Millie

agonycat
Wed, Jan-02-02, 15:24
Millie, The journals are one of the forums here.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/f84/

That should link you to the M threads. Just open a new thread of your own and post daily menus, excercise plans, etc.

You can read through others journals to get an idea of what to put in yours.

:)

Millie
Wed, Jan-02-02, 15:59
Agonycat

thank you for your help - wow that was quick :)

I will take a look :rolleyes:

ckh
Wed, Jan-02-02, 19:18
Hi Donna,

My name is Carol and I've just started today too. I'd love to have someone to do this with too. I have about 100lbs to lose so I may be doing this awhile longer than most. I work w/a girl who has lost about 60 lbs just by eating no more than 40 carbs a day. I don't think she started w/Atkins and the whole induction thing, but it is amazing how awesome she looks now. She is about 5' tall and she went from a size 16 to about an 8-10 right now. And the thing about it is that she lost it everywhere she needed to and now has an almost hourglass figure. I'm thinking if she can do that on 40 gms of carbs a day, I should be able to do even better on 2-25 gms a day. I live in Texas and love horses. We have 50 acres and I just can't bring myself to get up on the horses anymore, I almost feel sorry for them. I have got to get this weight off. I went to my son's wedding in Las Vegas in October, and the pictures of me in the wedding party were horrible. I couldn't believe I looked that way. Well this is it for me, I'm getting this weight off, before I croak or scare someone to death. Whew! Hope I didn't bore you, but if you want to correspond, I'm your person. Hope to hear back from you, Carol
You can email me at hucklebridge~hotmail.com

skimom
Wed, Jan-02-02, 19:58
Hi, just read your bio, and we seem to be pretty close in age and needed weight loss. You wanna buddy up? :wave:

donnaj
Wed, Jan-02-02, 20:36
Hi Carol,
I would love to have you as a buddy. I love horses and I miss riding them. I had one until I got married and haven't been on one since 1975. I probally break something now if I fall. :daze:
I have been married for 27 years and have no children except for my animals(5 cats,a dog and a bird)and I consider them my children. I live in Huntington, West Virginia.
I started Atkins two years ago and lost over 50 lbs and quit smoking for a year. Then I had a stroke. It wasn't due to lo carb but to heritary disorder. The stupid doctor would not listen to me about what sugar and flour does to me so I was placed on a low calorie/low fat diet. Well, I went from 135- 225 in a year time. Then I had a second stroke. So, I looked at him and said okay you had it your way and look what it did to me so now I do my way. I said goodbye and found me another doctor who believe that lo carb is the only way to live. :) So I am feeling better and have more energy. I still have to take medication due to heritary disorder but I don't have to take any diabetic medication anymore. :) Welcome again and I email you tomorrow. :wave:

skimom
Wed, Jan-02-02, 21:41
donna, didn't mean to leave you out of my last posting.... getting used to this support site, and did not realize that the postings are listed below the post reply form.

My name is Janeane, 47 years old and need to loose around 60-75 pounds... right now I'm just taking them one at a time. I've been happily married for 12 years, and have two boys 11 & 9, got a real late start on this kid thing. I'm retired (as of 11/00) and work at home-schooling my boys this year.

I too am an Adkins rebounder. Had lost 30 pounds last winter then gained it all back over the summer/fall..... this time I'm very determined to take it off 'forever'. Love the support of this forum, and am anxious to offer and give support. :wave: :wave:

donnaj
Thu, Jan-03-02, 09:08
Welcome Janeane,
I would also love to have you as a buddy. I think we need support from as many people we can to win this battle.
I also have decided to stay with this wol because it makes me feel good and my energy level is improving. My husband is disable and I take care of him. I recieve a BA in counseling but have not worked in the field because of two strokes. But the knowledge I gained has helped improve my life 100%. Well I have to go but I well email later today. :wave:

skimom
Thu, Jan-03-02, 10:13
Hey Donna and Carol... wake up and greet the new day with a smile :) When you looked out this AM did you both see snow on the ground? Watched CNN this am and was surprized to see all the snow that the south and east were getting hit with. Hope that it is not effecting you two directly. Around here we rec'd 2" of new stuff, then it warmed up and it's a pretty sloppy mess. Still great skiing snow, but a mess to drive in.

I had a great breakfast of 2 eggs and 4 slices of bacon. How about you two? Will try to put a record amount of H2o in the system :daze: And keep close to the restroom.

Have a great morning........

donnaj
Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:55
Good evening,
We did get the snow here in West Virginia but it went south.
But it is still very cold.
I had 2 slices of ham and 1 scramled egg with cream.
Lunch : water and for dinner I had 3 slices of roast beef, green beans and slices of vey thin tomatoes with salt,pepper and splenda. I drank my 128 oz of water.
I started cleaning the kitchen this morning and I was full of energy I cleaned out all my cabinets( I gave my sister all the food that I could not eat) I though out so much stuff I am afraid the garbage men are going to hate me. Now I am sit down to answer my email. It is 8:50 P.M and I am tired but a good tired.
How was your day? I hope you drank all you H20 today.
Well I probally better get off here and get ready for bed. I hope you and your have a nice evening.
Your buddy,
Donna :wave:

skimom
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:30
Donna... good for you, you did awesome today :spin: 128oz of h2o, you must be floating. How do you keep track of the amount of water you intake? I need to come up with a better system than the one I'm using, it's a guessing game. So glad to hear that the weather front moved out. Do you get much snow in your area?

My day 1/3/02
breakfast; 2 eggs / 4 slices of bacon
snack; 1 whole cucumber w/ dip
lunch; 6 spears asparagrass & 1 cucumber w/ dip 1 adkins bar
dinner; chicken.... I've pretty much used up the salad allowed for the day so I'll just fill up on chicken.

Not feeling hungry, but am full of energy. Pretty exciting stuff

Carol, how was your day?

Have a good evening girls :wave: :wave:

agonycat
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:44
Hey Skimom!

How about starting your journal and posting your menu and daily thoughts there. That way they will all be in one place for you to compare on down the road and wont have to search through thousands of forum threads to find them :)

Welcome!

donnaj
Thu, Jan-03-02, 20:35
Simone is right. The journal is great. I place everything I eat there with the amount of water I drink. It is really fun after you get started and everyone can help if you need it.
I found a 32oz coffee cup at Super American. If you don't have one then look at gas station in your area. I keep one filled at all time.
I just put on a crock pot of soup for tomorrow. It well taste real good in this cold weather. We don't get allot of snow but some time it can come down.
Well don't forget to go to the journal and start. You can read mine and the others to get started.
Have a wonderful lo carb day tomorrow. :wave:

skimom
Fri, Jan-04-02, 17:35
donnaj... I checked out your journal and will follow your progress there as well. I also have a journal listed under skimom (s), and have found it to be a big help. I was pleased to see that so many of your friends and family have joined on to encourage you. You go girl :roll:

just me... are you still around? hope that you join us in our journey of weight loss.

it's been a good day in our household. Was able to keep on track with the program. Even went to a luncheon meeting and passed up all the heaps of food that were off program. Yea Me :daze:

Hang in there girlfriend,

donnaj
Sat, Jan-05-02, 21:00
I am really proud of you for sticking with the program. My husband is really getting supportive and I am happy about that.
We well see if the jelous bug raises it head when the weight start really falling off.

Again, I am proud of you. :cheer:

shadowlady
Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:00
Donna I would love to be a buddy with you on this diet, maybe we can help each other!
Michele

donnaj
Fri, Apr-05-02, 16:48
Yes, I would love to be your buddy Michele. I have been on the diet since Jan. 2 and have gone from 192 to 163. I really have found this diet to help so many people. I am 49 years old and have been married for 28 years. I live in Huntington, West Virginia and have 5 cats, 1 dog and a bird. I would like to recommend that you start your journey on this forumn. You can check my out to start yours. And if you can download Fitday from fitday.com... Both of these well help allot in your journey to your goal weight. Well please email any time here or on Petite ladies thread.
Have a great evening.

shadowlady
Fri, Apr-05-02, 16:57
Hello Donna, thats a great weight loss wish I could say the same, been on it 3 weeks now. I am 42 and married not quite a year, 2nd marrage, first was 20 yrs. and i have a 24 yr. old son and a fish I call Benny. what exactly is fitday? I will go there now to check it out.
Michele

donnaj
Mon, Apr-08-02, 06:39
I am sorry I haven't emailed sooner but I have been spring cleaning. Keep with the diet and you too well see it start dropping. I started this WOE/ WOL because I had a stroke about two years ago and wanted to start living life again. I haven't felt this good since I was in my thirty's. So hang in there and I will help you and we well to it together. Have a great low carb day and well email this evening.

Skimon, I am here but has been real busy with spring cleaning. I need to get back to my journal. I will also look at your journal. It is so good to have friends that are there for you. Well, I better go and get started. Talk with you this evening.

Tar Baby
Sat, Apr-13-02, 22:10
I too am looking for a buddy. I feel kinda down since I haven't lost in a while. Still sitting at the same weight!
Lame!
:( I feel like giving up but don't want to. I know I can do this so, I figure a buddy would help. I also want to start a journal. Can anyone help where I can do this?
HELP ME GUYS!
T

chewie
Sat, Apr-13-02, 22:25
Hi Tar baby! This is my first post - just started Atkins 3 days ago -and was reading your post....I, too, am from Vancouver and would like to buddy up with you....Whadaya say! We are similar weights and have similar goals - Would love to hear from you.
.....Take care...Chewie

towerprncs
Mon, Apr-15-02, 02:26
Hi Donna,
I am just starting too and am feeling my way around. I guess the best thing is to put you on as a buddy, if I can manage that--am REALLY computer ignorant--hubby and son are the experts--so hope I don't lose you.

I'm facing a really difficult few weeks but am realising I am ALWAYS having difficult weeks--that's why I'm so overweight I guess. I am going to Switzerland with my husband on business next week and am really dreading it--I'm not very good at travelling and get really stressed before we go--so am trying to eat right because I know I won't be able to while I am there--but I am going to treat it as a learned experience and try to do as much as I can and get straight back to it when I return.

I have started gaining the weight back I lost over the last 6 months and don't want to lose all the ground I've gained, OR lose all the pounds I've lost--which ever way you want to look at it!! I feel a LOT better and now I can feel the fat creeping around my waist again...

I'm really excited about this site and am trying to get more low carb books to read as I don't think I have found the EXACT thing I am looking for yet--

I am looking forward to hearing all about you and starting my journal as well. It's wonderful to think that any minute of the day you can just get in and there will be people there to "be" with--support is SO very important, isn't it?

donnaj
Mon, Apr-15-02, 07:54
Goodmorning, Tar Baby, Chewie, and Towerprncs, It was so great getting back on the computer and finding new buddies waiting for me.
Tar Baby, Don't give up on losing. You will have weeks without losing. I know I have been on Atkins since Dec. and have several non losing weeks. But believe me that after your body adjust it then again start losing again. For the journal, It is really easy to start one. Just go to the journal section and start one. You can visit my to see what I do. It really does help. I have been lack in keeping mine and I have found I have not so well. So starting today I am going to start recording again. I look forward in being your buddy.
Welcome Chewie, You will found out that this is best way to lose weight. I haven't felt so good since I was in my 30's. I have more energy and the health benefits as been great also. I look forward to sharing your journey with you.
Towerprncs, I think you are wise in eating right at the moment. If you have a chance look up what they serve in Swisserland and try to plan ahead. One good tip is always eat plenty of protein and eat salads and drink plenty of water. But, please don't :bash: yourself if you go off for awhile. You can go back to induction and start over. Remember this is going to be a way of live for you and you have plenty of time. A journal would be great for you now and while you are on your trip. It will help you see what you are eating and plan your menu a little bit easier. Just relax when you are there and enjoy yourself. I hope this help. I am here for you if you need me.
Well buddies, I look forward to knowing each one of you. Thanks for allowing me to share it with you.

MarshaS
Tue, Apr-16-02, 12:47
Donna, I would love to be your buddy!

Our current weight almost matches 159 vs 160
Our birthdays are in the same year, and only three months apart.

I have been on Atkins since March 2nd and I have just yesterday decided to start doing Atkins right and try my best not to cheat. Maybe we can encourage one another!

God Bless!

Marsha

donnaj
Tue, Apr-16-02, 15:38
Marsha, I would love to be your buddy. I have been on Atkins since Dec. of last year. I know it is going to hard with warm weather here not to cheat. But I will be here for you and all my buddies. Marsha,Tar baby, Chewie and Townpcns. Could I ask you to pray for my nephew who has celerbal palsy. He is having surgery next Friday to correct his leg and hip. This well be his only chance to walk. I have been getting things ready. I will be on the computer when I come home on my shift. But I am proud of all my buddies. Pray for me and my sister that the stress won't get us down and start eating hospital food. :(
I wish the whoosh fairy will visit us all real soon.

MarshaS
Tue, Apr-16-02, 19:58
Donna,

I will certainly pray for your nephew, and I will place him on our Church's prayer list Wednesday night! Also for you and your sister and the stress this will have on the family.

At the hospital, concentrate on the right foods. They should have a cafeteria type line up of foods so you can pick the right ones.

Please keep us informed of the surgery. What is his name and how old is he?

God Bless!

Marsha

donnaj
Wed, Apr-17-02, 05:11
Marsha, thank you for putting Cody Johnson who is 5 years old on your church's prayer list. I really believe in prayer and what God can do.

I am making some chicken wings, low carb cookies, and mozzarella chips to take the first day. I plan to drink plenty of water and keeping away from soda and coffee. My sister is also on Atkins and have lost 35 lbs. So, we well be together to help each other. She is my only sister and besides she is my baby sister.

Marsha, I will still be coming on line after I get home each so I will keep you informed. How are you doing on your journey in low carb? I am still here for you. I have found out that strawberries makes me wants to binge. I will only eat small amount.

I hope you will have a great day and thanks again for helping Cody.

God bless,

Tigra1965
Sat, Jun-15-02, 09:57
:wave: Hi Donna

Well you seem to have your fair share of buddies and I wondered whether you'd like another one. I know you do post alot in my journals etc... but this would be nice too.

I too have had a mild stroke and this was at the ripe old age of 32. Apparently it does not run in my family, but was due to stress and if you've read my journal (particularly this week) you'll understand why.

I have since fully recovered - but occasionally get alittle tired.

Anyway my email address is Tigra1965~hotmail.com or if your on messenger or aol - maybe we can chat sometime.

Take care and happy LCing
Byeeeeeeeee
:wave: