PDA

View Full Version : Unsweetened Chocolate in NZ?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

eebee
Sat, Dec-29-01, 22:46
Does anyone know where or if I can buy unsweetened chocolate in NZ or even in Oz? I would like to be able to make some of those chocolate recipes such as Lynnes Chocolate.

suzyjam
Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:25
you can buy low-carb chocolate in Australia at just about any supermarket but according to some reports on this site it isn't as low-carb as it says it is. Well the Cadbury version of it anyway. Can anyone tell us where this info was? I can't remember

Melsa
Sun, Jan-06-02, 17:49
Hi SuzyJam,

A LC friend of mine and I put it through the hidden carb counter (after I found my weight loss had slowed down alot) and found that it was certainly higher in carbs than the packet shows. I may have done it wrong but we just punched in the numbers from the back of the cadbury packet per 100gr and came up with something like 32 grs of carb. Did we do this right/wrong? We also foun the Darrell Lea one was much higher in carbs than the packet states (but like I said we could have been doing it incorrectly).

Cheers

Melsa

suzyjam
Sun, Jan-06-02, 19:51
bloody hell! that is so high in carbs! I dare say the Memphis Meltdown is NOT 33g of carbs then :>

Melsa
Sun, Jan-06-02, 19:54
Hi Suzyjam,

This is of course assuming I did it right!!!

Cheers

Melsa

sammiejam
Sun, Jan-06-02, 20:11
hello guys

suzyjam is sister to sammiejam
and big sister sammie told little sister suzy that the nutra choc and cadbury lite is well over the carb couct that is shown on the packet,suzy just likes the nutra choc far too much for her own good...

melsa you did it right, it is false advertising i think and i may ring the cadbury's people to complain!

howver in cases of dire emergency such as the lord of the rings opening in warriewood cimemaplex in the DELUX THEATRE WITH THE RECLINER LAZYBOY CHAIRS!!, one must have choc of some description and at 5.8g carbs for 3 squares it is not toooooo bad.

suzyjam
Sun, Jan-06-02, 23:36
how many times do I have to tell you that that movie is NOT worth it!!! Too much suspense and screamy screechy music - certainly not worth wasting chocolate on. And stop being so cruel about the Nutra Choc, I don't believe it! You are just guessing! Go check it for me
right well I got the empty packet out of the rubbish and it says...
energy 43kg 10cal, protein less than 1g, fat less than 1g, carb 1.5g, sugars 1.9, sodium 15mg, postassium 63mg

Melsa
Mon, Jan-07-02, 00:08
Ah yes, but it is the 'hidden' carbs that we need to watch out for, rather than those teasers on the packet ;)

eebee
Mon, Jan-07-02, 01:04
And maybe also the 43 kilograms of Calories??! :daze:

sammiejam
Mon, Jan-07-02, 05:47
suzyjam
ok you can have it, the packet is only a little out (.3g)

just dont go beserk

susanrnz
Sun, Feb-10-02, 21:34
You can get low carb chocolate online or mail order in NZ now - click on my profile for more details
(I'm looking forward to making the chocolate mousse recipe I found in the Sweet Treats section here last night!)