PDA

View Full Version : Back on the Beach!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

highsteaks
Mon, Feb-06-06, 15:26
Hello all!
I just joined this forum cause I'm in severe need of some support as I begin my journey back down to my goal weight.

I started South Beach in 2004 and followed the recipes letter for letter. I stuck on Phase 1 because I found that the Phase 2 recipes started me craving again. I ate lots of vegetables, soup and salad and went from over 190 down below 150lbs.

Over the past year, however, I have been a very ineffective low-carb dieter - sticking to it for a week, and then binging on sugars and bread for a couple of days and putting all the weight back on and more. I ballooned up to 200lbs (my heaviest weight ever). I got down to my present weight (187) by...no surprises...doing South Beach and NOT CHEATING. However, I've fallen back into my cheating habits over Christmas, so I'm looking for some like-minded folks to share recipes and discuss strategies.

One problem I have is that people around me are not very supportive of the low-carb approach. My dad tells me it's not a balanced diet (even though I eat vegetables, different kinds of meat, eggs, low-fat cheese, nuts, hummus, etc.), and my sister and mother are all about calorie-counting. Numerous other people have made comments about low-carb diets being ineffective long-term, and bad for your heart.

My questions as I recommit to this way of life are:
1) What are effective ways of eating at other people's houses? (I'm going away this weekend and worried about being able to stick to it.)
2) Are the South Beach Diet Meal Replacement Bars bad? I like them for convenience in the morning, but I read in a couple of places here that they cause cravings and can stall weight loss.
3) I know alcohol is not allowed for Phase 1, but are there any low-carb drinks (other than straight vodka or the silly low-carb beers!!) that anyone has found don't increase cravings?

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have! I feel pretty lucky to have found a place with so much valuable information. Thank you all for the time you spend helping and supporting others like me!

thirteenlb
Mon, Feb-06-06, 17:08
1) Just say no respectfully-- and mean it. Bring a dish or two if you can, snacks if you can't.
2) Not sure, but I would stick to whole foods.
3) Apple martinis, if prepared correctly, have 3g carbs per drink (can be a crave- inducer if you don't use a sugarless mixer-- see below); rum/jack and diet coke have none; red wine has about 2g per 4oz glass; white wine, 1g; and to go with that vodka-- www.bajabob.com. I've never seen it a liquor store or anything, but they'll ship it pretty fast.

If you're not on maintenance, consider that alcohol could make you stall. It always does for me.

Good luck, hope this helps!

JustAGirl
Mon, Feb-06-06, 23:05
Wb and great job so far! :)

in response to your questions:
1. I try to be honest and respectful and bring my own options. i find that if i'm open and responsible, i get treated with respect in return.
2. I stick to whole foods only.
3. Sorry, i'm unsure.