PDA

View Full Version : coming off of a binge on maintainance?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

medialady
Mon, Feb-06-06, 09:08
Yeah I broke down yesterday and ate a ton of cookies as well as some high fat chicken wings and bread. :o I think my low carb bread set me off like a trigger food but that is another thread.

I feel so bloated and ackey today! yuck. I should know better by now!

anywho, what is the best way to get started again? do you go back to maintainance type eating or to hard core "induction" again. If back to hard core induction, for how long? when do you weigh yourself to check the damage? What are your ideas from having the binge continue into the next day? :help:

I am 12 pounds from my goal.

Thanks!!

kevinpa
Mon, Feb-06-06, 09:43
Since I am not atkins and if it were me, I would slap myself on the wrist and tell myself how ashamed of myself I was and then continue what had been giving me success up till now. I know I wouldn't go back to 20 or less carbs a day.

ShayKNJ
Mon, Feb-06-06, 09:51
I would learn from it and move on. Continue with maintenance. Do not go back to induction. I would not weigh in for several days and drink lots & lots of water. You will be fine.

serrelind
Mon, Feb-06-06, 10:23
I wouldn't slap myself on the wrist to be honest. What's that gonna accomplish except to make you feel even worse about yourself? Plenty of "normal" weight people have a binge once in awhile too. The difference is that they don't feel horribly guilty and they go back eating relatively healthy again. You have done great with this WOL losing a ton of weight. You indulged and now you are getting back on track. If you want to stop the bloating asap, then go back to induction. If not, just go back eating maintenance. What induction will accomplish sooner is getting rid of bloat water. Exercise will also help burn off those glycogen reserves sooner.

Anleigh
Tue, Feb-14-06, 09:00
When I go on a "carb fest" I always cut way back for a couple of days and gradually move back into full blown Maintenance. I usually do the Fat Fast or the M/E Fast for 2-3 days just to get some of the carbs out of my system and it also makes me appreciate regular lowcarb eating. I admit I have a problem with bingeing and fasting and am trying very hard to quit. Its a bad habit.

Jonahsafta
Wed, Feb-15-06, 07:08
Media...how are you doing now????

and kevin....I smiled at your wrist comment....:)

Kristine
Thu, Feb-16-06, 08:37
I do a decent full-body workout to deplete the excess carbs, and try to eat "cleanly" for a few days, ie minimal processed foods and dairy, mostly unprocessed meats, eggs, and veggies.

medialady
Thu, Feb-16-06, 10:19
Thanks everyone! I am doing better. I have been back on my low carb eating the rest of the week. I have such an addiction to carbs that even the low carb stuff (baking things) seems to set me off.

It is kind of depressing to think about because I got so excited by the thought of low carb bread and muffins ect... and now I realize that unless it is steak, chicken, eggs, tuna I am at risk for triggering a carb binge.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Does anyone else have this problem with any low carb baking product setting of a binge?

I know in my heart that I could NEVER eat one of those protein bars or pre packaged Atkins stuff because of triggers but I really thought I could handle flax seed bread. I mean crap! It's flax seed bread for crying out loud not a peanut butter chocolate protein bar!

I think I am the only person in the world who could be triggered by flax seed bread :o

treefrog
Thu, Feb-16-06, 10:34
medialady

I think I am also sensitive to flax seed baked things. I seem to put on pounds or water weight when I eat them. You are not alone. ;)

Cathy

bkloots
Thu, Feb-16-06, 13:28
Too bad about the flaxseed sensitivity. That's one of my mainstays. Oh, well. Everybody has to figure this out for him/herself.

As for the off-plan periods--I pick a target day (usually the nearest Monday) and do induction, aiming for a week. This is mainly to get my head in the right place. It usually takes care of temporary gains, and gets me back on track with my maintenance routine.