PDA

View Full Version : Hummus

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hmay60
Fri, Feb-03-06, 19:09
I've been reading these boards alot lately and everyone is talking about how
good hummus is. Where exactly would you find this in the grocery store, and is it ok for Phase 1. I started Monday after a year and a half of Atkins. I lost around 35 pounds on Atkins, than went wild since Christmas and gained almost ten back, but since I stated SB, I've lost 8 of those. I am really enjoying SB. I have been eating mostly chicken and seafood. I think on Atkins I was eating too much fat, cheese and red meat. I'm looking forward to some whole grains after Phase 1. If anyone has any advice, please post it.

Judynyc
Fri, Feb-03-06, 19:58
Welcome!! :wave:
Congrats on your intitial success!! :thup:

I buy hummus in my local grocery store. You may have to ask the store manager where you shop if they carry it at all.

Its made from chick peas and there are many recipes around here so that you can make it yourself. I've never made it or else I'd give you the recipe for it.

Have you seen the updated food lists and meal plan charts? The link to them is in my signature. I have found that these two things helped me to get the plan right. It took me several months to learn this plan, it does not happen overnight.

You can also click on my journal button below to see what I've been eating as I've logged all my food since I started 21 months ago.

Hope this helps!! :D

GinaLeanne
Fri, Feb-03-06, 19:59
is hummus real low in carbs? thx :yum:

Judynyc
Fri, Feb-03-06, 20:06
is hummus real low in carbs? thx :yum:

No, it is not low in carbs but we are allowed to eat beans as part of our food plan. We do not count carbs on SBD. :idea:

I am very careful with portion sizes as it is a calorie dense food so I measure 1/3 cup as a serving. I have it with raw veggies and use it as a dip or spread on a whole grain cracker as a filling snack. :yum: :D

hmay60
Fri, Feb-03-06, 20:23
Thanks Judy for the reply. I know my local store won't have it, will have to travel to Super Wal Mart, some 20 plus miles. I did see the updated food list, Thanks for that. I have the 2003 book, and was glad to see we can have milk. Is part skim ricotta ok, I tried the fat free and yuck. I made turkey chili tonight after reading one of your posts I think. It was very yummy and spicey. Thanks again and I am sure I will have lots more questions, so keep the advice coming.

Judynyc
Fri, Feb-03-06, 20:25
You can always ask your local grocer if he can stock it for you. Its a popular food and he may just do it for you.

I just had my chili tonight and each time I make it, it gets better and better :yum: I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :D

sweetness2
Fri, Feb-03-06, 22:19
Where's your chili recipe Judy? I just made some tonight and it was soo good I think I will make again very soon...interested to see different recipes for it

pamb
Sat, Feb-04-06, 10:33
I usually find premade hummus at my supermarket near the deli. You may also find it near the produce.

Judynyc
Sat, Feb-04-06, 10:48
Where's your chili recipe Judy? I just made some tonight and it was soo good I think I will make again very soon...interested to see different recipes for it

Here is my recipe for chicken or turkey chili.
I used 1 black and 1 red 14 oz can of beans, and this time instead of hand chopping all the veggies, ie: onions, peppers, carrots, I used the mini chopper and made my life much easier. I think that chopping it this way also makes it cook better into the chili. Added in1/4 cup cilantro and1/4 cup oregano, lots of1/4 cup chili powder, cayenne pepper, 2 jalapeno peppers, 28 ounce can of crushed tomato, 6 garlic cloves, 2 lbs chopped chicken low fat, 1 lb of sliced mushrooms and 2 chopped zucchini.
1- 14 oz can black beans
1- 14 oz can red beans
1- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
6 cloves of fresh garlic, smashed
2 lbs ground chicken breast
1 lb sliced mushrooms
2-3 chopped zucchinis
1 medium onion chopped well
1 orange, 1 red, 1 yellow pepper
2 jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup oregano
smidge of cumin
olive oil

Here are cooking instructions for making this chili:
1- brown the meat first
2- chop and sautee togther in olive oil and fresh garlic cloves: 1 oinion, 2 jalapenos peppers, red, orange and yellow peppers.
3- while the veggies are sauteeing, I put into a large soup pot the browned meat, the cans of crushed tomato, and 2 different kinds of beans, 1/4 cup chili powder, 1/4 cup cilantro, crushed red pepper to taste, 1/4 cup oregano
4- when the veggies are finished sauteeing, about 15 m inutes, put everything into the soup pot and bring it to a boil slowly stirring it all up.
5- as its coming up to a boil, I put in 1 lb of sliced mushrooms and 2 chopped up zucchinis.
6- I allow this to cook at a slow boil and covered for about 1 hour, taste testing to add what it needs. I do use some Morton lite salt but not much at all.
7- my recipe changes each time I make it so please feel free to make it yours by adding or deleting your own items.

Enjoy!! :yum:

Did you know that you can perform a search in any thread to look for recipes? Also, there are many recipes that are good for SB in the kitchen section of this forum. You can search in the Babes thread itself as there are many recipes buried in there too. You can do a search for recipes in my journal also. :idea: :agree:

sweetness2
Sat, Feb-04-06, 20:56
looks good Judy...I will try it next week and let ya know how it turns out. I will also try that recipe search...I am always looking for new low carb recipes...thanks