PDA

View Full Version : Portobello Mushroom Recipe

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Vgal
Tue, Jan-31-06, 12:09
Hi,

I'm on SBD and wanted to share with a coworker the really great Portobello Mushroom Pizza recipe that's featured on Phase 2. But I forgot my book. If anyone has that recipe and could post it, I would be much obliged.

I altered the recipe slightly to make it a breakfast quiche, so if anyone is interested, I'd be willing to share my alternate version. Very tasty!

Thank you :)

Judynyc
Tue, Jan-31-06, 22:46
Please do share your breakfast quiche version!! I'd love to try it. :yum:

sorry but I don't have that recipe but maybe you can find it here:
http://www.south-beach-diet-101.com/index.html

Just found this web site which is free and not affiliated with the official site. It does have the plan, all phases, and lots of recipes. :idea:

Vgal
Wed, Feb-01-06, 10:57
Well, thanks for the link but that site does not contain the recipe. And I forgot the book again! God, it sucks to get old. LOL

I'm more than happy to share my take on this, once I scan the recipe! :)

skippie
Wed, Feb-01-06, 11:55
I think this is what you are looking for......

1 t olive oil
1 clove garlic, diced
1 pk 6oz portobello mushroom caps cleaned
pinch of salt
pinch grd pepper
12 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
10 fresh basil leaves
2 fresh tomatoes, sliced, roasted or grilled
oregano leaves(optional)

Combined the oil, garlic in small bowl and rub the mushroom caps on all sides with the mixture. Place the caps top side down in a circle on a oiled baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange the cheese basil and tomato slices alternately in a circle on top of the mushrooms. sprinkle with the oregano if using.
Bake 450* until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.

boxerdog
Wed, Feb-01-06, 15:13
Wow Skippie.

Thanks for sharing. I am going to whip that up tomorrow night. ;)

Judynyc
Wed, Feb-01-06, 15:58
I think this is what you are looking for......

1 t olive oil
1 clove garlic, diced
1 pk 6oz portobello mushroom caps cleaned
pinch of salt
pinch grd pepper
12 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
10 fresh basil leaves
2 fresh tomatoes, sliced, roasted or grilled
oregano leaves(optional)

Combined the oil, garlic in small bowl and rub the mushroom caps on all sides with the mixture. Place the caps top side down in a circle on a oiled baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange the cheese basil and tomato slices alternately in a circle on top of the mushrooms. sprinkle with the oregano if using.
Bake 450* until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.

Oh yummmmmm.....I'm gonna go and get some portabellas!! :agree:

skippie
Thu, Feb-02-06, 06:00
Note to anyone making this. I also read somewhere about removing the black vains/mushroom stuff in the cap. It stated that it will make room for toppings, also the cap vain part will make everything you add turn black. I just saved all the cap stuff and put in a omlett for breakfast.(it did discolor my omlett)

I read this somewhere about cooking with mushrooms.

Vgal
Thu, Feb-02-06, 11:35
Skippie,

THANK YOU! This is what I add to make mine suitable for breakfast/brunch. Yes, and I always remove the stems, just to make it flat and round. I've used both the smaller Portos and the larger ones.

*For my breakfast version I add:
This version must be made in a pie dish. Two egg whites (or liquid egg white equivalent of) and two eggs. Beat and pour over mushrooms before you put the mozzarella and seasoning, etc. Sprinkle (about an ounce or two) of shredded Pecorino Romano cheese over the top as the final step. It bakes nicely and gets all brown and crusty. Just adds a slightly different flavour. You can pretty much use any kind of cheese for this meal, it will still taste great.

Bake for about 15 minutes, or until eggs set.

Serves 6

Perfect brunch food!