PDA

View Full Version : Does LC help depression/low seratonin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jlynn
Wed, Dec-26-01, 14:37
I'm feeling very confused about this one. I have a severe addiction to sugar/carbs and know that lc helps me gain control. I also suffer depressive cycles and am wondering if all that protein will make the depression worse or actually help. I have read that protein inhibits the production of seratonin. Any insight? Anyone familiar with potatoes not prozac? I'm having a tough time breaking the sugar addiction and need help???

gecolon
Wed, Dec-26-01, 16:24
For me it has helped with my "disposition" greatly. After doing Atkins for the past four months I would say that the opposite of (potatoes not prozac) is true . The first week of Atkins was hard, but around day 10 I started to feel really good (both physically and mentally), I started to feel like my old happier self.
I think part of the carb addiction is that yes it makes you feel better after you eat something carby [like a potato], but I also think that the starchy/sugary stuff is like alcohol in that your body craves it , and it makes you feel better for the moment. In the end they both make you more depressed, and give you a big gut.

Side note: Since I have been off of the carbs I have noticed that when I do "cheat" or go off my plan the carbs don't have the same euphoric effect that they used to, and the next day I wake up with my old aches and pains.

Low carbing for me has been a rebirth.

Marlaine
Sat, Dec-29-01, 16:26
Hi there...

I don't know anything about the science behind it but I can tell you that I quit anti-depressants about a month before starting Atkins. I have actually been in a much better frame of mind since starting LC and I attribute it to the relative "purity" of my diet now. I think giving up sugar was a HUGE improvement for me and my own particular body chemistry.

Marlaine

LC Sponge
Sat, Dec-29-01, 17:54
A coworker of mine has gone off the anti-depressants as a result of low carbing.

She is so "NORMAL" now, where before she was always a bit frantic. She feels great.

charmainia
Mon, Dec-31-01, 01:53
Hmmm. Good question!!!!!

I just finished (December 18th), a 4 month process of getting off of my anti-depressant (Zoloft) - after 2 1/2 years on. I began my LC Induction 3 days ago - December 28th.

I never even thought of a connection between seratonin & protein, but I bet that you're onto something!

I too love my carbs, but there has to be a better WOL! If I get the added bonus of keeping the Zoloft at the pharmacy & not in my body....EXCELLENT!!!!

I'm really interested to know if anyone out there has any knowledge / experience with this.

Livin' meds & carbs FREE!
Charmainia

donnaj
Tue, Jan-01-02, 19:44
I was on Prozac and other anti-depressants for over 5 years and when I went on Atkins . I was able to give all that nice money to myself and not to the pharmacy.
My doctor was very impressed with the change and when I started back on carbs :thdown: I notice that my bi-polar became worse again. I am happy to report that since I started eating right that now I feel great. I can't wait to see my doctor. He will be so pleased. :wave:

Saweetie
Thu, Nov-20-03, 23:11
Super interesting thread.... I am wondering as I am still "new" to this Atikins... if I should start the prescription I have been given for prozac or possibly hold out untill I get further along in my Low Carb life....any thoughts?

cafewriter
Sun, Dec-07-03, 15:56
So here's the question: is it really carbs per se that cause the depression and moods, or is it
a) when people are 'on' carbs and 'off' their diets, they tend to eat more of them or binge more than they would if they were eating carbs 'normally' as part of a 'healthy' diet
b) is it the type of carbs...and when they do break their diets, they tend to go for all the forbidden junk carbs
c) is it perhaps not so much lc, but the fact that when one is doing a diet, they clean up all their food habits? (ie, no junk whatsover, whereas when they were doing carbs, it included junk and simple carbs, and in bigger servings).
just some ideas.
CW