PDA

View Full Version : HELP for a "dizzy" dame...and I mean DIZZY!!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

emcqueen
Sat, Dec-22-01, 06:02
Not had the B. P. checked but the dizziness is begining to get me down. I feel like I am afloat most of the time. not always sure that the hands I know are mine.....ARE mine???
Very curious..curiouser and curiouser?????
Liz :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

agonycat
Sat, Dec-22-01, 09:41
Are you eating enough?

How about allergies? I know when my allergies kick up, my inner ear goes haywire and I end up bumping into walls.

May want to check with the doctor. You shouldn't be getting dizzy if you are eating enough calories and drinking enough fluids a day.

doreen T
Sat, Dec-22-01, 09:45
hi Liz,

I read back through some of your previous posts ... you haven't really recorded what you're eating or not eating most days, so I'm going to have to guess at some possibilities here: You're dehydrated. I see you've mentioned in a few places about drinking water, but are you drinking enough? 64 fl oz (approx. 2 L) minimum, plus an extra 8 oz glass (240 ml) for every 25 lbs (11.4kg) you need to lose. The diuretic effect of the diet is strong, and you need to drink way more water than before to replace the loss, and to keep the ketones flushed out. Being dehydrated means your blood volume is low, and consequently low blood pressure. Drink up, then have another!

Potassium levels are low. The diuretic effect of ketosis will cause you to lose more potassium in the urine than usual. You need to replace this. Either take as a supplement pill (up to 500mg a day) or use a potassium-containing salt substitute, such as NoSalt or NuSalt. But make sure you're well-hydrated first. Taking extra potassium when you're dehydrated is useless.

You're not eating enough, especially not enough protein, and definitely not enough vegetables. A salad and a portion of cooked low-carb veggie is a good idea EVERY day. Protein should be a barest minimum of 60g for a woman. An egg has 6g, one oz (30g) meat has 7g. 3 strips of bacon, when cooked and the fat drained off .. have approx. 5g protein.

You have the flu or some other bug, since you've mentioned feeling yukky for a week now. Have you had a sore throat at all?? Ear infections, labyrinthitis ... will cause inflammation of the inner ear, and the main symptom is dizziness to the point of vomiting. A trip to the dr. and some antihistamines would be in order.Hope this is helpful, and hope you're feeling better soon.

Doreen

emcqueen
Sat, Dec-22-01, 14:28
As ever a quick, sensible response. I cant get to the computer often enough...ie there are not enough hours in the day to record my own "foibles". My time is way past up when I have read lots of the other threads and I decide to do mine.

I take K in the form of 50:50 salt (other 50%Na). I have been enough to drink.for the last week or so.....more than enough.

Only on the odd occassion do I not eat enough..375-400g protein is what I aim for.....and usually manage.
When I have not had enough cals. I will have thickened cream.....which I have in my decaf coffee (lots of it) I like it to look white.
I will go to my journal now and record my fare.

Again, my thanks
Liz

ps...I have welcomed quite a few newbies to the forum...just to tell them how supportive the community here is. I hope I am not impinging on the teritory of anyone...but I am so excited about the whole WOL. I was a bit shy a first but NOT NOW!!!!!!
Did I mention that I got rid of 5" of ugly fat. ....no amputation jokes here, please!!!!! AND I BROKE THE 80kg barrier............................PAH, I say PAH to barriers...of any sort. :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :spin: :spin:

Melsa
Thu, Dec-27-01, 16:31
Hi Emcqueen,

CONGRATULATIONS on your acheivement :clap: I am very excited for your loss (sounds like a funny sentence doesn't it). I am sure I will see you on the forum again soon.

Cheers

Melsa

emcqueen
Sun, Dec-30-01, 15:50
Thanks Melsa!!!! for the kind words

Agoycat..it is worth considering ..I have not been know to have alleries before(except to carbs)..but the cream I use .....I think has more carbs than I first thought.....food for thought?

Dorren.....you are a gem!!!
I take 50/50 salt for the K
Am now and have been since, drinking 3 1/2 litres at least.
my b.p is "normal" 140/80.(while I have usually been on the low side of "normal")
I suppose it looks as thought I am yuk.much of the time it doesn't last long...but truely, I am better than ever, overall .....Its only the dizzines, which, I might add is less than it was...thankfully!!
It seems to be as you first said the water.....my reason...the first thing in the morning when I have switched on my computer I reach for the water.......my trusty old 600 ml bottle....when it is done: the spinning starts....I will get to the doctor.......it even sounds like mid ear stuff to me as I speak (well, type.you know what I mean!)
Thanks for you expertice and well considered answer. I'm off to the doctor.
Liz
ps. I have been better with my journal......by the time I read everyone else's I run out of time to post mine......It is still hard to eat enough. I am so full much of the time, I have to force myself to eat!!......I should also record the fitday analysis?
Thanks again,
Liz

emcqueen
Sun, Dec-30-01, 19:41
It is some sort of viral infection in my middle ear.
:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:
I will take stemital to ease the spin :daze: :daze: and keep "it" until it goes away. Let's hope this is the end of it. :thup:
Thanks to all of you for "listening" to the whinge!!!!!
Liz